PDA

View Full Version : George Romero returns--all hail the father of zombies

Lunatique
05-21-2005, 05:33 PM
For all you non-zombie fans--Romero is the man that single-handedly created the zombie film genre when he made Night of the Living Dead in 1968 (remade in 1990). Ever since, his vision of the living dead influenced the coming generations. Without Romero, there would be no Resident Evil franchise, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, the bunch of imitators, or copycats.

After Night of the Living Dead, there was Dawn of the Dead (1978), which was remade a couple of years ago.

Then the story continued with Day of the Dead (1985), which is the most debated one, because some hated it, while some thought it was the best in the series.

When Resident Evil (Called Biohazard in Japan) game came out, they asked Romero to direct the Japanese TV commercial for it, and it was awesome and very scary. There was buzz about maybe having Romero direct a movie version. When Resident Evil was being planned by the movie studio, Romero was the man they hired to do it (it was a natural choice since he created the genre and is considered the best), however, Romero was fired from the film when the studio didn't like his screenplay (the studio wanted more explosions and gunfights and action).

Now, 37 years after George Romero created the zombie genre, he returns to it, with Land of the Dead.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/landofthedead/

http://www.allthingszombie.com/movies/landotd.php

Zombie fans rejoice!

Geta-Ve
05-21-2005, 05:47 PM
wasnt this posted a while back?

Anyhoo I wasn't too impressed with it. Looked sorta like the same "gun fight zombie droppin" movie. Though there were a few things I liked but for the most part..

What they need to do is really up the scale of this, why doesn't anyone ever have the heros bustin into a gun store or a police car to grab their guns or something? or using normal everyday objects. Honestly we all have chainsaws at home, we all have bats, hammers, knives, etc etc.

Why don't they ever have people joining a natural resistance? Not swat, but normal people resistance youknow.

In this respect 28 days later did a good job, however it fell in alot of places. On the other hand Shaun of the dead excelled in almost all places because of its light heartedness of itself, and when the movie got serious you knew it. You felt for the characters, there was no, "oh well hes a stupid swat guy big deal" I could honestly care less for anyone in the RE movie, or in alot of zombie flicks these days..

But again romeros old zombie flicks did alot right soo hopefully he hasnt been influenced by the times too too much.

Lunatique
05-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Wow, how did I miss that other thread??? I mean, I check cgtalk everyday for crying out loud!

I wouldn't let the trailer influence my expectations, since today's trailers are all about fast paced editing with lots of excitement, or totally vague and mysterious. This is Romero we're talking about, and he's never made a bad zombie film in the last 37 years (but some say he's made bad non-zombie films).

The people in the films do joing resistance groups. Remember all the hicks that banded together?

I think normal weapons are too dangerous to use because it's not instantaneous or long ranged like guns. And all kinds of weapons have been used in all the movies. Have you actually watched them?

Coliba
05-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Can you actually make bad zombie movies? Maybe if you forget to put film in the camera? It's really not a mark of artistic genius. It's a b-movie genre that uses the exact same clichées over and over again to a perpetually mesmerized crowd of cult followers with comic book minds :scream:

greynite1
05-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey robert hehehehe

yep the previews for this are pretty awesome I can't wait for this to come out. I been waiting for the grand return of the "Slow Zombie" although i have to admit I liked the remake of dawn of the dead. the only problem is it still was more of a standard horror movie and not a DEAD film with the social commentary and the fun you know.

love the shots of the DEAD RECKONING!! Serious Zombie Smackdown

greynite1
05-21-2005, 09:34 PM
OH YES yes you can

4 words

HOUSE OF THE DEAD

not to mention a slew of others both foreign and domestic over the years
some of them just get REALLY Stupid like the spanish movie CITY OF THE WALKING DEAD and then you get the fun off beat ones like Return of the Living dead just some short examples but hey if you love the genre then even those can still be fun for a laugh. :)

MCronin
05-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Can you actually make bad zombie movies? Maybe if you forget to put film in the camera? It's really not a mark of artistic genius. It's a b-movie genre that uses the exact same clichées over and over again to a perpetually mesmerized crowd of cult followers with comic book minds :scream:

Actually it is possible to make a bad zombie movie, see RE 1 and Apocalypse, Zombie Lake,
Tomb of the Blind Dead, Returnof the Blind Dead, the Zombi series, Return of the Living Dead 2 and 3... There have only been 6 good Zombie movies and George Romero made 3 of them. There's a good documentary called American Nightmare you should see. It's about social commentary in Horror films. It might make you see these movies in a different light.

Geta-Ve
05-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Wow, how did I miss that other thread??? I mean, I check cgtalk everyday for crying out loud!

I wouldn't let the trailer influence my expectations, since today's trailers are all about fast paced editing with lots of excitement, or totally vague and mysterious. This is Romero we're talking about, and he's never made a bad zombie film in the last 37 years (but some say he's made bad non-zombie films).

The people in the films do joing resistance groups. Remember all the hicks that banded together?

I think normal weapons are too dangerous to use because it's not instantaneous or long ranged like guns. And all kinds of weapons have been used in all the movies. Have you actually watched them?

i wasnt talking about romeros movies in particular :D just most other ones that have come out since.. in fact i have both dawn and day of the dead.. love the whole mall thing, that was pretty neat. But thats what im talking about it seems only a few are able to do it right, you know? like it wouldnt seem like a hard thing to make but everyone seems to want to do SWAT vs ZOMBIES! omg so original.. ugh..

anyhoo ya romero is cool, we will see if he still has the touch :)

Frank Lake
05-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Saw the trailer.

Loved the make-up. Very well done. I also liked the fact that they people in charge didn't think that the dead would walk underwater to get at their prey. Gotta love that line of Hoppers!!! :D

My only problem is that everything at night is REALLY overlite.

Coliba
05-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Ah well if it's with Hopper, I'm probably going to see it. What I hope they don't try to do is have too much "serious and meaningful" dialog. Like action movies with a message.....boooooooring.

Stahlberg
05-22-2005, 10:41 AM
I'd like to see a movie where nerds who make their own chainmail (re-enacting the Middle Ages or LOTR or whatever) are the only survivors, because they're protected from head to toe from zombie bites. Add some combine harvesters from the farm, some bulldozers and some explosives from the building site, and it's clean up time. :)

Peddy
05-22-2005, 10:52 AM
and one dude in a cloak he got for his birthday runs around throwing white pebbles at the zombies, screaming 'lightning bolt! lightning bolt!' as he throws them with practiced aim.

Lunatique
05-22-2005, 11:54 AM
And another with tin foil-lined wooden plank strapped to his back will say to the others, "Check that zombie chick with the huge hooters!" Then, another one with rubber elf ears will scold his buddy with "Goddamn it! This isn't some holodeck simulation. This shit's for real!"

Peddy
05-22-2005, 12:49 PM
i do miss the cricket bat.

Stahlberg
05-22-2005, 03:52 PM
Here's another strategy I think would be good for a lone defender who has to get rid of a massive amount of zombies with least amount of energy expenditure: dig a long trench across the highest bridge or overpass you can find in the area, use road construction tools to dig straight through. Lure a crowd of 10,000 zombies to follow you (the easiest part as we can see from all the movies), jump across the trench, then sit and rest on the other side and watch them all drop through the hole, becoming zombie-jelly at the bottom.

Lunatique
05-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, but they always get you before your plan is carried out. Murphy's Law says so.

What I love about classic zombie films is that their slowness makes plans seem doable, but something always goes wrong. The new breed of zombie movies have them like rabid dogs, and while that is also cool, it's just not the same.

Chaz
05-22-2005, 07:05 PM
There's always that one zombie that snuck around behind you that lurches in just as you're about to spring the trap. :eek:

greynite1
05-22-2005, 08:32 PM
hehehe in a big incident the Zombies would be everywhere I think a good plan would be to go A TEAM STYLE get some plating with your crew and armor up a semi and just drive through a crowd. This can work somewhat (As the Swat guy did in Dawn of the dead) hehehe but in the movie people always seem to get over enthusiastic taking out all there frustrations on the zombies they never seem to notice they are turning too sharp or heading for that wall. :)

For the new breed you either need a very high armored vehicle to sniper from or just get on the roof and take them out from there. There too fast and to impervious to pain and if you miss that could be only second they need to latch on. :)

Love zombie movies so much fun.

Stahlberg
05-23-2005, 03:26 AM
Fun hypothetical problem.
I don't think sniping is the answer, you run out of bullets (or food, cause it would take a REALLY long time). Same with machineguns, cannons, flamethrowers, chainsaws, vehicles, any kind of machine you might build, like converting a helicopter into a head-chopper-offer; you eventually run out of some important ingredient to your plan long before you run out of zombies. You need to get their stupidity and stubborness and slowness working for you. You need something constant, like gravity, to kill them, and to do it en masse.

but they always get you before your plan is carried out. Murphy's Law says so.
What I love about classic zombie films is that their slowness makes plans seem doable, but something always goes wrong.

This is what's so annoying about these kind of movies. It's not Murphy's Law, it's the Law of the Formula. If there's a team of people, there's always at least one asshole who ruins a good plan. Just for once I'd like to see maybe two teams, one who f*cks up according to tradition, but another who just plays it safe and smart like we would in real life, and comes out on top. I thought Shawn of the Dead was really promising at first, very cool for the first half of it, nicely turning some cliches upside down... then it just turned to absolute shite.

jake_$teed
05-23-2005, 03:52 AM
I thought the trailer was pretty crappy. But I love Romero's zombie movies. I actually flew back to NYC 2 years ago to see the Romewro retrospective at AMMI. NOTLD still scares the crap out of me. Here's hoping the trailer dosne't so much represent the film, but more the marketing department at UNI trying to get kids into the theater.

RFX
05-23-2005, 04:29 AM
As a pretty big Romero and zombie movie fan, i've been waiting for years for this movie, and having read the script and seeing the trailer, i can't wait even more, Romero wrote an excellent script, still keeping true to how he writes, and the theme he always likes to show, reason why he never used stars for his movies, he just wanted to get across the story and theme, there are some nice twists in this movie, can't wait to see it.

greynite1
05-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Actually there is one Zombie publication where things work out pretty well sometimes. Its a comic book series called Walking Dead. Its about a group of civilian survivors trying to make it out in zombie land. They encounter almost every trouble conceivable and still manage to keep going. The Series in the first trade talks about exactly what you just mentioned the breaking of the formula. This writer intends to take these characters as far as possible. (or until people stop reading) its a really really well written series.

I think sniping if done by a disciplined group ENMASSE could succeed what always seems to get people in the movies is three things.

#1 Belief: they believe that they are still fighting human beings they always try to kill them like human beings and of course it fails. Alot of them also hold onto the belief that these are still there loved ones or friends. thats the one that always gets em.

#2 Ignorance: Word to hit the head doesn't spread till after its too late. By then the efforts to stop the zombies have primarily failed because they don't kill enough of them to stop from being overrun.

#3 Fear: Most people in all the movies are trying to get away they don't stay and fight. People are always trying to get away. if they pooled there resources and systematically (and patiently) eliminated them progress could be made. A safe base camp could be established and then they could start to retake other areas.

Can anyone tell I love zombie and horror movies :P

Nemoid
05-23-2005, 06:38 AM
great to see Romero's back to his genre :

a well made zombie movie... can't wait!!! :)

EpShot
05-23-2005, 07:09 AM
This is what's so annoying about these kind of movies. It's not Murphy's Law, it's the Law of the Formula. If there's a team of people, there's always at least one asshole who ruins a good plan. Just for once I'd like to see maybe two teams, one who f*cks up according to tradition, but another who just plays it safe and smart like we would in real life, and comes out on top. I thought Shawn of the Dead was really promising at first, very cool for the first half of it, nicely turning some cliches upside down... then it just turned to absolute shite.

i agree.

also, i would liek a zombie movie on a more macro scale, kinda like the movie "The Longest day" that shows a whole nation being over run and what happens, following people and stories all the way from the teen couple that gets stuck camping, to the president and wha the would do. I wanna see what happesn to all sorts of groups, not jsut the cliche' ones. i wanna see police and military, groups of nerds, hicks. what about the guys who were psycho and spent the last 10 years training with guns and swords cause they expet the apocholypse, or jsut the dude who raided a surplus store and bout a years worth of emergency food rations and decided to hole up in his apartment complex. I mean give them all small stories. but i want variety. what happens when they start saturating bombing

i know these movies are usualy about the lone survivors and the suspence, but really that just doesn't interest em as much. While the concept of the walking dead and handling it is very interesting.

i am lookign forward to this movie though, because i think it will look more into how they would try to set up permanent defences and thigns like that, and it will be fun to watch it all come crashing down.

BTW who else has the Zombie Survival guide?:D

greynite1
05-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Raises hand :) I admit i got it the book was damn funny and sensible to the scary point. :) but still some funny as heck stuff.

agreed I think and have thought for ahwhile why nobody has picked up on this idea of a Zombie Apocalypse TV series. It would almost be like Tales from the crypt only on a world wide scale. They would show some people fighting back and winning and others loosing terribly.

This would be an awesome venue for *as I mentioned before* Walking Dead.

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2005, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.