PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a spline onto a Polygon

NoamL
05-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi, I'm trying to make an iPod.
I've successfully made the body and the screen,
but in order to make the clickwheel I want to make a circle on the front polygon.
I tried to make a circle spline and then attach them,
but the circle's vertexes are not merged onto the polygon.

What can I do?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/NoamL/illustration.gif

(want to use the circle's vertexes on the polygon)

grafi
05-22-2005, 12:33 AM
All you need to do is take the spline, extrude it and do a boolean with the spline object and the ipod adjusting the boolean properties so all it does is a cut.

soshiant
05-22-2005, 05:16 PM
for better result try adding spline circle to ur spline cage, if u dont have the spline cage u can select the edges and convert them to spline cage, also u must have gridy surfaces so that u can cut correctly ur poly. hope it works. using boolean may cause unexpected results and reduces the level of acuracy.

mynewcat
05-23-2005, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't use a boolean if I were you.

Try the method I would use.

I'd select 'autogrid' from the object creation menu and then draw a circle on the polygon where you want your hole to appear.... you'll notice that instead of drawing on the home grid you draw on the object itself.

Right click and convert that cirlce to a polygon.

Edit the iPod object and select the flat surface you just drew the circle onto... delete it.

Attach the circle polygon you just created.

Create a polygon that bridges the gap between the cirlce you have created an the Ipod...

Now if you select 'border' sub object then select the circle and the Ipod... a nice ring should form that you can cap...

Select the cirlce in the middle and press 'delete' - you should have a tidy hole in your Ipod now - without any dodgy boolean style mistakes.

doing it this way ensures that your hole is tidy and will allow you to put chamfers in.

NoamL
05-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Thank you for your respones. I just got back, so sorry for my slow reply,
gonna check all the methods you propose and get back.

Thanks again,
Noam

vikigrafx
05-24-2005, 03:41 AM
Instead of all these methods....
Draw a circle as per the size u required and place where u want whole.
Select ipod goto compound objects-> select shape merge and say pick shape and select your circle...(make sure u r in merge mode)

now if you go to either edit mesh or edit poly u will find a polygon cutted in the shape of circle..

thats it
Best of luck

mynewcat
05-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Vikigrafx - the reason I suggested not to use boolean is the same as shape merge.... it's dodgy and has a tendency to go wrong, especially when you have a lot of edges.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2005, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.