PDA

View Full Version : RPF camera data from 3D Max

jonnyg
05-21-2005, 01:46 AM
I have rendered out a scene from 3D Max as an RPF sequence, turning on Z Depth, Alpha, and Coverage as AE's help page suggested. When I add a solid as a 3D layer in AE, it slides on the 3D geometry. It seems as though the camera movement in AE is different from the render camera from Max. Any ideas? Are there any restrictions in placing my 3D layer? Should I use the camera info from Max (aperture, focal length, etc) for my AE camera, or should that be imbedded in the RPF file?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Shazam3D
05-24-2005, 01:38 AM
Copied from AE's help:

After Effects imports camera data saved with RLA or RPF sequence files. That data is incorporated into a camera layer that After Effects creates in the Timeline window. You can access the camera data of an imported RLA or RPF sequence and create a camera layer containing that data.

To create a camera layer using RLA or RPF data:

Place the imported sequence in the Timeline window, and then select the sequence.
Choose Animation > Keyframe Assistant > RPF Camera Import. Note: To create an RLA or RPF file with the camera data in 3D Studio Max, save your rendering in RPF format with Coverage, Z Depth, and Alpha Channels enabled.

johnb4467
05-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Actually, we've done everything that the [rather brief] help file suggested. As far as we can tell, it should be working...but like Johnny mentioned, our geometry is still sliding, and when we look through the camera [whose data was supposedly embedded], the background/3dmax rendered element isn't even in proper view. We're quite confused and would most certainly appreciate your help!

frambosenshmak
05-06-2006, 02:51 PM
i am having exactly the same problem

its as if the camera rpf sequence is on a different frame rate to the footage exported from max. I exported an rpf sequence at 25fps which has Coverage, Z Depth, and Alpha Channels enabled as explained in the after effects help document. i imported the rpf sequence into after effects 7 then dropped it into the timeline and in the animation menu > keframe assistant > rpf camera import. a camera is created from the rpf sequence. However when i drop a 3d layer into the timeline and i scrub through it, the camera moves at a different timing to the rpf footage. I have a 180 degree camera turn along the y axis in the rpf sequence and this shows me that, regardless of the position of the 3d layer in the after effects composition, the camera turns after the the turn is executed in the rpf sequence.

what gives?
its even more frustrating as i'm on a tight deadline to get this sorted so any help is greatly appreciated otherwise it means creating and lighting elements in max instead of after effects as we planned.

thanks

frambosenshmak
05-06-2006, 03:10 PM
i'm definitely not having a good day, got soaked on the way into the office in the only brief rainshower of the day and then overlook an easy solution....:rolleyes:

it was a case of answering my own question " its as if the camera rpf sequence is on a different frame rate to the footage exported from max".

i decided to check the obvious and went through the interpret footage settings in after effects and it seems after effects was interpretting the rpf as 30fps instead of 25. switched it to 25fps and its sorted. Dont know why as i'm working from a pal widescreen 25fps preset in after effects and exporting 25fps from max.

ah well, at least its fixed.

scrimski
05-06-2006, 03:45 PM
It is an After Effects preset which overrides the projects settings. You can change it under Edit->Preferences->Import Settings.
Set it here to 25 fps and your footage will always be imported that way.

German Version here, so I could be wrong about the exact names.

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2006, 03:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.