PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Deformation System

-dc-
10-12-2002, 02:17 AM
Hey everyone, my other thread was getting a bit long, thought i'd start a new one. :)

I'd like to get some feedback on my muscle deformations, and what you guys think. Any comments/suggestions/crits are welcome! Done in Maya 4.0...let me know if anything doesn't look right, or seems off. Thanks!

http://www.electronicgaming.com/musclescomp.avi
(2.8MB DivX 5.02)

Best regards,

Joe

kfc
10-12-2002, 04:44 AM
hmm.... interesting.
are those influence objects?
i can see there's a upper ab' and lower ab'muscle formed by 2 nubrs sphere. are both of this spheres squashed by using softbodies?

i can see from ur video that there's 3 stages for ur muscles. 1st with simple spheres for influence object. 2nd stages of mid res influence object. and 3rd for ur outer mesh which i guess is ur character's skin.

does that do any help to build every muscle in the body to be use as influence object on outer mesh? since u already have simple objects to be ur influence objects.
aren't simple objs can respond faster compare to mid res muscles?

did u use the simple spheres as warp deformers to drive the mid res muscles?

-dc-
10-12-2002, 05:39 AM
Hi KFC, thanks for the comments! I'll try to answer your questions as best I can....

Those orange spheres are influence objects, yes. No dynamics yet, there's no soft bodies or anything like that, that's next!

The point in my modeling every muscle was to try to create an anatomically correct muscle system, and just a good overview for myself. The muscles are being driven by lattices, which are smooth bound to the joints, and then the influence objects were added to affect the lattices. The bones are parented to the joints, no binding there.

If there was a character on top of all of this, the muscles themselves would act as influence objects on the skin, with the spheres only affecting the muscles. You were right about there being 3 levels then...
spheres would drive the muscles, which would in turn drive the skin deformations.

using simple objects would also work, but i'm hoping that this turns out to look better...not sure yet. Thanks for the reply, hope that answered your questions! :)

Best regards,

Joe

Gentle Fury
10-17-2002, 03:56 AM
looking good (what i can see of it) which brings me to my only problem with it......the animation is way too fast and the camera too far away for the resolution.....very hard to see whats going on. Looks like a good start though ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.