PDA

View Full Version : Super 8mm

brant
05-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Just bought a nice Super 8 camera to get my feet wet in film. Found a guy how will develope and put on a portable hard drive as a 10 bit uncompressed .mov. Anyone out there working with Super 8?

so happy I could die
05-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm saving for one! (which could take another 11 months- meh)

Look at how pretty she is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/sohappyicoulddie/beaulieu_6008_-_94362.jpg
(Beaulieu 6008 S - Hall Sensor system )

beatoperator
05-22-2005, 10:06 PM
anyone know, is there samples of super 8 to download somewhere maybe?
I mean, I am curious to see what picture looks like shooted with super8
:)

visionist
05-23-2005, 01:53 AM
http://www.seattlefilminstitute.com/studentfilms.html

The ones below the 16mm are 8mm they are labled

LmB

Megalodon
05-23-2005, 07:53 AM
That's a nice Beaulieu! Always wanted one of those - I ended up with a Nizo with 200 foot cartidge capacity and for the life of me can't remember the model. That was way back in the 80's when I did a complete full-length (90 minute) Sci Fi film. Full size sets, 15 actors and actresses (my friends from work) and lots of miniature effects. Edited the entire thing on a Goko RM8008 editor - boy THAT was fun! :) The film turned out boring but I learned SOOO much doing it. That's why my next film will be made entirely in the computer! ;)

Working with film (even that size) was very educational and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But today, I would buy a good DV camera and shoot digital video to import directly into the PC/Mac. It's ALOT less expensive! I don't know how much Super8mm costs today, but it was expensive "back then." I am curious, why did you decide to go the film route instead of DV?

Megalodon

brant
05-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Just want to try film.

brant
05-23-2005, 11:31 PM
On paper, I should be able to get more information on super 8 than the best HD. Pretty good for a $100 camera off ebay. Found a guy at www.bonofilms.com that will transfer directly to hard drive as 10 bit uncompressed. A friend and I are doing alot of green screen work and hope that the keys will be better due to no compression. Kodak has released a new film stock Vision 500T just for this sort of thing. A company in CA called Pro8mm and Sound actually cut 35mm stock down to 8mm, they have also retrofited a camera to shoot 16x9. Pretty cool stuff

brant
05-28-2005, 03:27 AM
Got my Super 8 that I bought off of ebay. Man what a deal, it is like new! A Bauer xl 209 s with Matte box. Going to get some film and have fun

ezraschreiber
06-01-2005, 09:37 AM
I agree that super 8 is a great way to get your feet wet with celluloid. Unfortunately there is quite a bit more leg work to get back to your editing bay. That is why this bonofilms place sounds great. The great thing about some of the bealieu cameras like the 4008 ZMII is that they are equipped with a c-mount lens adpation system so you can obtain any c-mount lens...and obviously the better your lens the better your image. I have scene some amazing things done with super 8 in art school. Sometimes the mistakes and texture of the format make for very intersting cinematography. As for professional level of cinematography...it can be done very well with the right lenses and attention to lighting. I know Phil Jonous(spelling?) version of the U2 One video was shot on super 8 (the one where Bono is sitting in a Pub singing). You might contact Yale Film labs in Los Angeles about digital transfer aswell...I think they ship out too.

brant
06-01-2005, 02:59 PM
I found some sites where guys are using scanners to scan the film then place each frame in a NLE. Alot of work but good quality cheep.

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2005, 02:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.