PDA

View Full Version : the ideal technique for animating a growing plant!

a_redha
05-20-2005, 11:05 AM
hello everybody!
i'm working on an animation of a growing plant from the root to the branches and leaves!
however, which technique is the ideal
- animating the extrude on the Edit Poly modifier.
- using the Path Deformer modifier.
- using particle flow and the blubmesh.
- or daving in the maxscript where i'm really new!

know that the root has about just two or three levels of SubRoot.....

thank you

FETTMOPS
05-20-2005, 12:13 PM
i was trying this years ago and i failed so much. i think you have to work with morphing(for high detailed things). but if i think about the leaves there is coming much trouble in my head.

this thread could be some good stuff having in.

a_redha
05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
yes, i think it's a good idea to use the morphe in the detail.
i'm thinking about animating each root alone with the PATH DEFORMER MODEFIER and then using the morphing in the smallest root, but there is a problem that will remain : the hard edges in the intersections between roots!, perhaps that can be hidden with the blubmesh...

a_redha
05-20-2005, 01:33 PM
opsss, i think that i have found what i'm looking for in : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=201430

thank you FETTMOPS for your help:)

FETTMOPS
05-20-2005, 02:36 PM
no prob, but i think there is no solution in the thread you posted. for high quality i mean. some studies about growing itself will be required.notice that this process is quite complicate and for my opinion it cant solved by a generic script.

however plz post your results ill be glad of seeing yours.

a_redha
05-20-2005, 02:57 PM
i don't think that i'll use that script! but i'll use the way it works,.......applying a morphing on an animated soft selection can solve my problem.............
tomorrow i will begin working on it!:)

yes it's true that the script is far to solve the problem of the growing plant when we compaire it with the amazing paint effecs of maya..............:)

FETTMOPS
05-20-2005, 03:53 PM
ok i wait for your results.

khemystri
05-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Did something similar to this a few weeks ago....

I had an object hit concrete and crack it..... wanted it to look
a little "cartoony" so i created the final cracked area, and keyframed it at the end of
the sequence, then scrubbed the timeline backwards a few frames and moved the vertices
at the ends of the cracks on top of each other (matching exact coordinates) then repeated...
Scrubbing back a little more, and joining (or is it collapsing?) vertices along the cracks until finally i reach the beginning of the animation, and all vertices are arranged in pairs at matching coordinates.....

keyframing backwards and collapsing vertices worked great, and probably would
for your plant.

-khemystri

neil09
05-24-2005, 05:28 AM
HI,
You can also use Loft compound object. Different kinds of shape you can give and it is easily animatable. What you need. You just move the spline for animating brunches. Thats all. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2005, 05:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.