PDA

View Full Version : Mail Box Chamfer NEED HELP!

ozmouse
05-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Hey guys me again i need help with this thing im worken on for my diploma course.

Project is a mail box, and at the moment i have created a single box and added an edit mesh to it like it told me too, i then dragged a selection region around the second set of vertices from the bottom and added it upward 10 units after some help from some people in here :)

Next part is where i have been confused ALL DAY! it tells me prior to using the extrude tool i must modify the edges of the box so they are not so sharp. So i click on the edge sub object mode....
Then it says to select a corner edge and click each outside edge while holding CTRL key. And when i am done i should have 12 edges selected. Now this is where i am stuck!!!----
I dont know wat view i am spose to be in when selecting the corner edges, perspective or front?
My tutor says all the vertical lines will turn red when selected but unfortunatly i click sometimes to add another one and it takes another away!
Where should i be clicking !

ANY HELP PLEASE IM DESPERATE !!!

I dont know how to take a screen shot so i added a picture on what the guy said it should look like, where abouts should i be clicking and the other questions i need to know!

SOrry again im such a newbi and i hate it!

ozmouse
05-20-2005, 08:43 AM
Sorry forgot the pic

zurfer
05-20-2005, 09:20 AM
First click one of the edges so that it becomes red then hold down CTRL and ´while holding it down click the next edge. Both edges should now be red. Keep holding down CTRL while clicking alla the edges you need. If you click an edge when not holding down CTRL the edges already selected will be unselected.

As for you problem with wich wiev to be in its hard to give an answer on the information you gave. But as in front wiev you can't see that many edges to begin with i think you need to be in perspective or user veiw and rotate the model to select all needed edges.

There should be a button on your keyboard that says Print Screen (usually somwhere around the right top part of your keyboard near the delete, pageup and page down keys. Between the numerical pad and the letter part of teh board) Just Ctrl+print screen and then open a new window in photoshop or similar program press Ctrl+V to paste the copy of the screen in to the now window and crop it accordingly.

Hope this helps

Peter

ozmouse
05-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks zurfer for your info.

But im still having trouble :(

ok im gonna ask a simple question now- with the picture i added on to this thread can someone please cirlcle where the edges are for me! i think im on the totally wrong track!

And when i click them they dont go red in perspective but they go red in the front view is that what is spose to do, but sometimes i click an edge nothing happens and it takes away one total edge from me trying to build up to 12! lol

Im confused i been tryen to figure this out ALL day and im goin insane ! :)

PLEASE help help

zurfer
05-20-2005, 10:01 AM
I painted in one edge red for you. An edge is the line between two Vetices. A vetex is a single point where edges meet. Four vetices conected by for edges make up a Poly (the surface inbetween them).

I think the reason for the selection problem might be that when you click the model in perspective veiw you can actually click right through the model. If you intend to click an edge the you can see but the program unselects an edge on teh back of the model bechause it is actually closer. Try checking the ignore backfaceing square at the top of the subobject menu and you can only select visible edges.

ozmouse
05-20-2005, 10:20 AM
zurfer thanks again :)
I now know what an edge is but still unsure where i can click 12 times on that object!
:(:(
Sorry

zurfer
05-20-2005, 10:30 AM
If you look at the edge i marked it ends at the breaking point and when it continues it is actually a new edge. Since the object is devided horizontally twice it makes up the diferent parts all with four corner edges each. Four times three equals twelve. Maybe you've tought of the corner edges as just four but if you count them while selecting you'll find that there are twelve of them.

ozmouse
05-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks again mate!

But 10 11 12?
Wheres that?
And how do i get my model showed like that that i can only see the lines?
My colour is getting in the way and i cant really see

Media
05-20-2005, 11:24 AM
As Zurfer says you hold in CTRL to select multiple edges. Another feature you should get aquainted with are the ring and loop selection tools.

A quick example on how to select all 12 edges on Zurfers box in only 3 steps:

http://www.storedyret.com/jinx/cgtalk/ring.jpg

:)

ozmouse
05-20-2005, 11:50 AM
I not sure why but i dont have the ring loop thing on myn???

ozmouse
05-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Can someone please add me on msn or does anyone have icq, i have what it hink and hope is right, but i not sure!!!

Im hopeless ey!

Anyway add me on riverjar@hotmail.com

My screen name is same as on this forums

Thanks everyone for trying to help me i really appreciate it!

Media
05-20-2005, 12:24 PM
The ring and loop tools are part of the 'edit poly' object type or modifier. To convert your box to an editable poly Right click your object and chose Convert to: (in your down-right corner) and then Convert to Editable poly. Another way of doing this is to just add an edit poly modifier (as you did with your edit mesh) and then keeping the geometry history.

Why would you want to use editable poly instead of editable mesh, you ask? Editable poly has much better and more complex modeling tools. Im not really sure why MAX still has got edit mesh now that the polytools are so complex.

Cheers!

zurfer
05-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Edges 10 11 and 12 are the ones situated behind the model in the screengrab i posted

The edge-ring and edge-loop tools should also be located on your modeling quad-menu. It is default to have that at rightclick+ctrl button.

F3 button toggles between shaded and wirefram view. F4 is used to lay the wirefram over the shaded view. These two buttons are invaluable when modeling.

Other handu short-cuts are middle button+ ctrl to rotate your model. Middle button to scrub it and middle+ctrl+alt to zoom. This will speed up your workflow immensly.

All this information can be found in helpguides over the 3ds max interface. You should really try reading a quick introduction guide to the interface it will help you with most of the nebie issues. Try looking at tutorials or serching the forums for other help.

Peter

ozmouse
05-21-2005, 01:21 AM
Thanks very much everyone who has helped me , i will give it a go today what you guys told me to do and ill tell you how i went

thanks again i really appreciate it

ozmouse
05-21-2005, 01:43 AM
Just one more question about this topic hopefully :)

How do i know after i chamfered how many edges i chamfered? Is there a way to check?

And with the pressing of F3 and F4 for wireframes, is there some other way to do it i think my keyboard isnt working to well cause it isnt working when i press those buttons.

Im really sorry for asking dumb questions again ey! You guys have been such a huge help! More than my tutor for my course :)

ozmouse
05-23-2005, 03:12 AM
ok guys my tutor said it looked ok but i have to try it again cause somehow one of the horizontal lines up the top was chamfered!

I am spose to only chamfer the vertical lines!
Ive included a pic of what the tutor meant!

Also how do you get the model not in colour in wire frame? Cause somehow i tryed F4 and it doesnt work , is there any other way!

Thanks again for your ongoing help everyone!!!

Cheers

ozmouse
05-23-2005, 03:36 AM
ok ok i figured out how to do it properly, i just did the editable poly way with the ring and loop way! Thanks media who said that , it made it a lot easier!

but i would still love to know how to put the model in wire frame in the perspective view.
cause F4 like someone said in this thread before, doesnt work for me.

Also Where abouts and how do i get the Angle Snap toggle up?

Please help!

Thanks again!

Champions you are!

salmonmoose
05-23-2005, 03:47 AM
To switch views differently -

rightclick on the name of the viewport (top right) the first items on the menu will contain:

Smooth with highlights
Wireframe
Edged faces

you can select amongts these (and more in the other tab) for the different views

also, we still have editable mesh, because it is a base object type (polys are an extension to that type) and editable meshes work a lot quicker in the viewports and with tools like skin.

ozmouse
05-23-2005, 03:58 AM
ok what the next step was, was to apply the extrude tool to the inside of the small polygon in the fence and bring it out to a value of 15. Done!

Now it asks me to while still in polygon sub object mode to use the Angle snap tool for an exact rotation of 90 degrees along the x axis. Where is the angle snap toggle they dont tell me where it is.
Then i have to position the polygon at the top of the post so in the transform type in text boxes i have to type in 48.
Now it should look like the example ive included but it doesnt look anything like that,
where should i be typing in 48!

Arrrr im running out of patience! ::(

Please help

Cheers

Struggling Newbi

tilite
05-23-2005, 08:46 AM
aight bro...

here is a simple screenshot of max with the angle snap tool... didn't have time so excsue the use of ms paint pencil :thumbsup:
http://img15.imagevenue.com/loc103/th_64b_004.JPG (http://img15.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc103&image=64b_004.JPG)
where r u getting this task info from... do u have a word document or a wesite... either way send it to me.. im interested and bored these days might go threw it with u.
good luck

ozmouse
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey man thanks for that you got msn?

Add me on riverjar@hotmail.com

Cheers mate

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.