PDA

View Full Version : Crazy About Particles

Myliobatidae
05-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Hello All,
My question goes to anyone who has experience with different particle systems, i.e. Maya's particles, 3D max's particle flow, and Houdini , the thing is I don't have time to learn them all, so I would like to know which one would get you the best results, while being relativly easy at the same time...Secondly are all these systems pretty much on par, I know they use houdini extensivly in films, but does it take years to learn just the particle system...

Again my question goes to those who have used at least two of the sytems above, and I'm not asking which is best, but which has the shallowest leaning curve, and can still give amazing results...

Thanx

MCronin
05-20-2005, 05:18 AM
If you are truly crazy about particles you have no choice but to you Houdini. It is compulsory.

http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/

download it and use the 6.1 tutorials to learn particles. A new version with a killer dynamics solver should be on the way soon.

Myliobatidae
05-20-2005, 05:40 AM
If you are truly crazy about particles you have no choice but to you Houdini. It is compulsory.

http://sidefx.vislab.usyd.edu.au/

download it and use the 6.1 tutorials to learn particles. A new version with a killer dynamics solver should be on the way soon.

Well my initial feeling was Houdini, but I don't want to spend years learning, how long did it take you to do something really amazing with its particle system ?

Myliobatidae
05-20-2005, 05:59 AM
Another one of my concerns are resources, it seems like Houdini is one of those programs used by only a small percentage, I have looked around, and not found much, if I have missed something let me know, idealy I would like some DVD's on houdini particles, but I don't think they exist, on the flip side, I could probably find alot of tutorials and DVD's for maya and Max,
which would speed up the learning process instead of the trial and error routine...

MCronin
05-20-2005, 06:17 AM
Never had to do anything amazing with Houdini particles. I just play with them, though I've made simple things that I know aren't easily doable in Max or Maya, for example, a multi channel audio visualizer composed of smoke that varies in density by frequency. Life is long. Take two weeks, dilligently work through the tutorials in that link, go to 3D Buzz and get their tutorials as well if they are still online and have fun. Any program is going to require some effort to learn on your part and I honestly don't think Houdini is more or less difficult to learn if you approach it with an open mind. Any software you pick up is probably going to take at months of steady work before you can even think about doing something truly amazing if you are just getting started, so why not just give them all a chance. All these programs have their own bizzarre idiosyncrasies that you are going to have to come to terms with, like it or not.

Ibah
05-21-2005, 06:58 PM
aint max better, if you want to go into the industry, caus most of the vfx pllugins thats are used in movies, are for max particles, afterburn and pyro for example

powerdan
05-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Well, i think that the best particle system its based on the VFX that you need to do. I have a Friend Working in Digital Domain and he toll me that they try use Maya for VICKY fx (from I Robot), but they use Houdini for that Fx because looks better... You can do almost everithing with the Particles systems of all softwares, some are most difficult, accurate, others more simple.

I prefer Maya, i know its more work to do a Good Looking VFX, but i feel more control. I wan to try Houdini

Sorry About my engish ;)

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2005, 10:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.