PDA

View Full Version : Best colour for chromaKey

matlars
05-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Hi all
If I'm using a DV cam, what would be the best colour for the "key screen", blue or green? I don't really know that much about how the DV cam work, but does one colour channel have better range than the other? I seem to remember hearing about this some time ago.
Is there a difference?

many thanks
/m

interference
05-20-2005, 10:07 AM
hi,
i can't explain why, but green seems to be better with DV movies because of 4.1.1 sampling / YUV things... :)
the green is included in the luminance of the DV compression contrary of the blue... well...
use green !

modernPrimitive
05-23-2005, 09:38 PM
I also heard as a general rule - blue screen for film / analogue(betacam perhaps) and green for DV.

NoshDir85
05-24-2005, 03:19 AM
Yes, Green is better than Blue for DV. DV picks up more colors of green than blue, and it is, when the screen is lit correctly, a higher luminance value than most amateurs can achieve with bluescreen. But, when it really comes down to it, pick the color that is most different than the color of your actor's clothing...

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2005, 03:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.