PDA

View Full Version : 5D Closing down?

Pyro2301
10-11-2002, 09:08 PM
http://www.fxguide.com/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=15

"Word has come from across the pond that employees have been laid off and been asked to be out of their offices by the end of the day. This includes offices in both London and Los Angeles.

According to public records, 5D incurred a 2.7 million euro tax bill, which was quite possibly related to the sale of their JAWS PostScript rendering technology. Sources have indicated that the company was asked to immediately pay off this bill and could not.

What does this mean? Too early to know, for sure. Potential purchasers?...Quantel, Thompson? ...Discreet?"

Anybody know any other details about this?

Pyro2301
10-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Ya I got it confirmed... it's closing up shop and the servers are going down this weekend. Sure was kind of a surprise since the last press release of theirs was about Cyborg sales stacking up :sad:

Nando
10-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Thats to Bad I realy liked what they were doing with there products.

Their Cyborg product was realy kickass, just not marketed correctly.

Zaphod1
10-12-2002, 06:40 PM
:thumbsdow
Cyborg was the only compostiting program for the Windows plattform that came close to Flint...

No we are stuck with Combustion or After Effects.... As far as i know Digital Fusion is only 2D...

Are there any other alternatives coming up ? Not everyone can afford SGI Workstations.

beaker
10-12-2002, 10:55 PM
>>No we are stuck with Combustion or After Effects.... As far as i know Digital Fusion is only 2D...

Doesn't really matter that it is only 2d, it is still a very powerfull tool and it is much faster than Combustion and AE. The new scripting abilities puts it ahead of both of them. Though AE just added python and java support, so that may be a moot point.

>>Are there any other alternatives coming up ? Not everyone can afford SGI Workstations.

Other compositors are Commotion, Matrix, QEffects, Nuke and Shake.

I still use shake quite successfully on linux. It royally kicks all three of those that you listed in the jimmy when it comes too speed. Especially anything above ntsc rez. I also have played with it on osx and it runs equally as fast. Even better because of the new opengl interface in 10.2, you don't run into the massive screen redraw slowdowns you get when swapping to other programs while in the middle of a project. I will stick to linux for the moment, but no big deal if it runs only runs on osx in a few years.

dantea
10-13-2002, 04:31 AM
Don't leave out Houdini Halo:

http://www.sidefx.com/news/new_products/index.html

dante

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.