PDA

View Full Version : Finding actors/actresses?

TheEdge
05-19-2005, 10:29 PM
How/Where are you guys finding actors/actresses willing to participate in your short films? Are you guys paying them?

Jeff Lew
05-20-2005, 12:04 AM
If you live in the San Fran bay area, craigslist is really good. They have a talent ad section. If you are in NYC, Back Stage is really good and LA, Back Stage west.

If you advertise that you will be paying them you will get more professional actors. All actors like to be paid for their craft.

Of course, all of this we're talking about non-union actors. I doubt union actors will be looking at any of these listings.

Jeff

TheEdge
05-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Hmm, so how much are you paying them for a days work? I agree, I have no business going for union talent or anything like that, Im just starting out...free is what I had in mind initially.

FabioMSilva
05-25-2005, 12:33 AM
(sorry for it's a bit offtopic)
- Jeff lew ? oa! never thought i would see u here(love your dvd btw). If u are lurking in this section, does it means u're finally doing Live action films?

now for the topic of the day:
I usually get my friends or family members to participate in my films(as they cost nothin) , after a few shots they can become quite decent in acting(if u're patient enough that is)

visionist
05-25-2005, 02:04 AM
Yea friends and family is the best way to get some actors, I am luck enough to be apart of the drama crew in high school and kept a lot of those friends out into college, soo I have a whole line of actors at my finger tips, and they arnt bad and know what they are doing.

LmB

Jeff Lew
05-30-2005, 03:29 AM
Hmm, so how much are you paying them for a days work? I agree, I have no business going for union talent or anything like that, Im just starting out...free is what I had in mind initially.

Well, I paid $200/day for an 8 hour day. It's quite fair I think. But I usually need actors for no more than 4 hours at a time. So I pay them for $100 sessions. The actors I'm using are voice actors. Some are used to getting paid much more than that. It depends on who the actor is.

From talking with some actors, SAG Union rates are $500/day minimum. For low budget SAG productions, it's $125/day. Union extras get like $150/day. Non-union extras get like $40/day.

For student films, actors will usually act for free, but will expect screen credit and free food for compensation. But you probably won't get great talent. For actors just starting out, credit is really the most important compensation you can give them.

- Jeff lew ? oa! never thought i would see u here(love your dvd btw). If u are lurking in this section, does it means u're finally doing Live action films?

Hey Fábio. Thanks about my DVD. No, I'm not doing live action. I would like to some day, but right now I'm sticking with animation, since I'm more confortable with it. I casted voice actors to do voices for my next animation. It was a lot of fun working with them.

Jeff

TheEdge
06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey guys thanks for the advice, I think $100 for 4 hours is reasonable, but intially I am going to try using a few friends/fam for the short film I have in mind, since I think I need some serious practice before spending $.

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2005, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.