PDA

View Full Version : Did Nintendo trick us?

teknotek83
05-19-2005, 05:56 PM
For those of you who remember the Nintendo-ON mock up video from last week, it was called a fake by IGN. It seems that this was just a big trick that Nintendo pulled on us.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/lonic/SA/Rev-On-E3.wmv
(http://pages.sbcglobal.net/lonic/SA/Rev-On-E3.wmv)(This is a clip with the announced Revoluition system TOGETHER with the Nintendo ON system)

Here's a link to a guy who's pretty much the first person to start this theory.
Interesting read.

http://mozlapunk.web-log.nl/log/2574056

(I know this has been mentioned in another thread, but I felt the subject warranted it's own thread)

AJ
05-19-2005, 06:09 PM
I refuse to believe people actually want it to be a hat...

ThomasMahler
05-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Why not? It COULD BE extremely cool. With gyrocoptical controls, it'd change the way we play videogames nowadays.

Think about wandering through Hyrule with such a helmet on your head, playing a FPS while beeing able to "really" look around the scene, etc. - If Nintendo pulls that off, it'd indeed be a revolution.

T Bomb
05-19-2005, 06:39 PM
I hope the screens are adjustable cause I wear glasses and I know alot of other gamers do. Can't play the games if we can't see them. haha

Para
05-19-2005, 06:42 PM
That doesn't look like a hat, it looks more like a helmet!

I wouldn't get any console that use some kind of headgear as a controller since my neck is so stiff that shaking it around for even couple of minutes would most likely cause a neck injury or something.

teknotek83
05-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Did you guys even watch the original video? In the original video the dome part is acting as a hub. There's a visor that is basically placed over your eyes/head. And yes, according the mock up video, it's adjustable.

I'd highly recommend that you all watch the concept video before posting.

http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/613/613578/vids_1.html

Solothores
05-19-2005, 06:59 PM
edit: oops ^^

http://corral.elrellano.com/miya-02.jpg

Someone really puts a lot of effort into it :D

DB3D
05-19-2005, 07:04 PM
man, i really dont know what to believe.

L.Rawlins
05-19-2005, 07:09 PM
The trademark labelling after 'Nintendo ON' in that picture intrigues me...

Solothores
05-19-2005, 07:10 PM
that pic is pretty clear a fake as you can see the praline translucing through the helm, what bothers me is why in hell would somebody leave such a obvious trail in it... I mean c'mon it looks like, it should look fake.

Do I make sense? :D

L.Rawlins
05-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Then why don't they publicly denounce association with this mysterious system? And why leave such an error in a doctored photo?

Fake or otherwise, it can't be doing the Revolution any good. It's completely stealing the limelight.

ppself
05-19-2005, 07:15 PM
well i for one beleived it was the next thing fomr nintendo when i saw week back, but now seeing the "real" revolution at e3 it is clearly a fake. from what i heard it was a case concept pitched to nintendo while back. also i thought the video was laid out very nicely but when they got to the 3d game at the end thts when i started to doubt this beign real.

Solothores
05-19-2005, 07:17 PM
and so the hype starts:

a recent webcam shot of the nintendo boot
http://img262.echo.cx/img262/2635/cam15hr.jpg

source (http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=revolution&message.id=22731&view=by_date_ascending&page=1)

teknotek83
05-19-2005, 07:20 PM
http://www.nintendoon.com takes you to IGN's article. IGN is partnered with Gamespy. Gamespy is partnered with Nintendo's upcoming online service.

L.Rawlins
05-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Could this be why they haven't shown us the controllers? Is that black box a trojan horse for what the Rev actually is?

Man, this is fun. :D

archerx
05-19-2005, 07:35 PM
wow this could be some seriously good marketing ! imagine that google thingy and a light gun..... no more FPS for me on the PC !

Man
05-19-2005, 07:37 PM
that makes sense.

maybe all the games are going to be played online for free or something like that. there's no 2p mode anymore, only massive mode, like everyone who's online.

or not.

Cyro
05-19-2005, 07:42 PM
wouldn't it be dangerous wearing those visors walking around? Someone is going to trip over and sue nintendo.

L.Rawlins
05-19-2005, 07:49 PM
If you re-watch the vid, I think its safe to assume that it tracks positioning from a stand-still. Stepping slowly (Walking) Stepping fast (Running) Body movement could be picked up from the visors position relative to the unit.

I don't think you actually go anywhere using that 'hardware'. You always remain in the same 360 degree space.

:shrug:

poly-phobic
05-19-2005, 07:52 PM
i dont know wether to be excited or skeptical...

damn, im confused... i dont know how to feel about this right now.
their live E3 web cams never seem to update either...

Rodi
05-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Havent posted anything in donkeys years, but all this console talking has got me fired up.

I'm sure i saw in one of those nintendo demos that sensors in the helmet would track your eyes, so as sketch pointed out there should be no actual going anywhere....

L.Rawlins
05-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Both. Equally 'vladimir'.

If not because such leaps are happening now... then that such leaps will happen eventually.

mummey
05-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Is this "The Revenge of Virtual Boy"!?! ;)

poly-phobic
05-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Both. Equally 'vladimir'.

If not because such leaps are happening now... then that such leaps will happen eventually.

Well said.
ill just have to sit back and watch as things unfold by the end of today.

PhilOsirus
05-19-2005, 08:18 PM
You're all crazy:p The console is the black box thing, not the helmet and that fake photoshoped Miyamoto picture.

L.Rawlins
05-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Spoilsport. :)

Neil
05-19-2005, 08:44 PM
imagine that google thingy and a light gun..... no more FPS for me on the PC !

haha, GOOGLE is so ingrained in our lives that the word "goggle" has now become "google". I only comment because this is happening everywhere I see people try to type goggle.

Stormy151
05-19-2005, 09:09 PM
I don't know how much I would like a console system with a visor I wear on my head.

I can just see playing something like Doom 3 (or Eternal Darkness- what a great Gamecube game) and having someone sneak up behind and grab me, thus killing me of a heart attack instantly.

So yeah....not sure how much I like that idea. :D

chadtheartist
05-19-2005, 09:19 PM
I tried a VR headset game a long time ago, and it was very, very, very disorienting. I had to take my glasses off so that could have been one of the reasons. But it was so, not natural that I seriously doubt I could have played longer than they allowed us to demo it.

If they can figure out a way to keep your head from spinning because of disorientation, then I think it would be pretty cool. I'm sure the technology has advanced since then, so the VR environment controls may be more natural.

Cyro
05-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Give me GT5 + logitech Wheel + racing seat + one of these VR head sets and I will be very, very happy...

SkyZero
05-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Give me GT5 + logitech Wheel + racing seat + one of these VR head sets and I will be very, very happy...

or very, very nauseous... :drool: if you're prone to motion sickness :D

Supervlieg
05-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Lol, would be funny if they did trick everyone. Better reserve your tickets for the Tokyo Game Show.

But, some parts of the NintendoOn movie were just to amatuerish to be deemed real imo. Come on, no-one from the Kyoto headquaters would have let those ugly Samus and Mario models slip out. Even if it was for a marketing ploy. And proximity radar? I dont think so.

If this appears to be true after a few months, I will eat my new Gameboy advance Micro.

daedalu$
05-19-2005, 09:45 PM
I tried a VR headset game a long time ago...

Do you still know wich company produced it? I can remember seeing one of those but I never got the chance to try it. It was quite a while ago, maybe up to 5 years or so. You could even order them, but they were really expensive...

Anyways, now that everybody is talking about that Nintendo ON video, it would be nice to have a picture of one of those VR headsets. Or even better a company homepage with specs...

Supervlieg
05-19-2005, 09:53 PM
The wave of the future (ahem)
http://jagudome.atari.me.uk/jagfest/2001/jf2k1pics2/MVC-001F.JPG

Tonedef
05-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Do you still know wich company produced it? I can remember seeing one of those but I never got the chance to try it. It was quite a while ago, maybe up to 5 years or so. You could even order them, but they were really expensive...

Anyways, now that everybody is talking about that Nintendo ON video, it would be nice to have a picture of one of those VR headsets. Or even better a company homepage with specs...

Nintendo made it.

mummey
05-19-2005, 11:39 PM
or very, very nauseous... :drool: if you're prone to motion sickness :D

One item of note: My longest experience with a helet systme was a Forte helmet playing Quake. I was able to adjust so I could handle the disorientation, but I quickly lost sense of time while in the game. You have less distractions around you so there were fewer indicators of how much time had gone by.

4 hours slipped away like it was 10 minutes...

-b

L.Rawlins
05-19-2005, 11:40 PM
It was nice while it lasted... :D

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/shigeru-miyamoto/miyamoto-candy.jpg

Neil
05-19-2005, 11:57 PM
It was nice while it lasted... :D

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/shigeru-miyamoto/miyamoto-candy.jpg

That's pretty much what i was trying to do too. Find the original photo :)
haha. that's funny, it was a box of chocolate.

Hazdaz
05-19-2005, 11:58 PM
See IF that helmet thing is real, it could be one of 2 things though... it could be that you still use your TV, and your just looking though some clear LCD display for score and ammo count and stuff like that (like a Heads-up-display). That really wouldn't help you much in games, you can't really turn your head too much, cuz you still have to be looking at your TV set. Ofcourse this solution is the more technologically feasable/cheaper solution, yet might not really be that advanced.

OR

It could have actual LCD screens right in the helmet like an actual Virtual Reality unit that also can sense movement and such. This would be the much cooler and much more advanced way to go.. BUT would cost lots more and be much riskier.

From the "concept" video, I got the impression that it was the first and cheaper method, but ya never know. I would LOVE for it to be an actual VR-type of system, and honestly that would be the only way I would ever buy a Nintendo console. I just don't think they have the technology to be able to do it.

L.Rawlins
05-20-2005, 12:21 AM
One day...

SpiralFace
05-20-2005, 12:29 AM
ah....

video game company conspiracy theorys :)

never though I whould see the day, at least from nintendo.

JKStudios
05-20-2005, 12:35 AM
Well I for one would have liked to have seen something like that.

If it had actually ended up being true, then the marketing was amazing, but alas, it's not to be, since the last day of E3 has passed without sight of it.

Some people took it way too far though. When you start dividing and adding up numbers in a video in order to try and reach important dates or phone numbers (wtf?) I think is when you need your head examined.

Kudos to whoever created that fake video though, it's a very interesting concept, and they must have spent many hours on it. I think Nintendo should hire them for their style. Maybe in 6 years we'll have it. I'd buy one.

backspace
05-20-2005, 12:36 AM
theres a guy from spain who posted somewhere he made the "mockup" to show his vision of what he would like as the revolution (guess he's pretty dissapointed with what nintendo actually showed) he had screens of the models and characters used so that pretty much says it all.

I dont have the link, sorry, I dont even remember where I saw it but you guys should be able to find it.

too bad really, I really liked his design, actually, kinda funny that the console design I liked the most was from some guy having fun and not from one the three huge manufacturers.

And an idea that "revolutionary" would have made nintendo get all my respect and no doubt I would have bought it.

magan3D
05-20-2005, 12:37 AM
hhhhmmmmmm

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/4475937615971238.JPG

http://img.engadget.com/common/images/5844052316327252.jpg

someone likes photoshop :D

backspace
05-20-2005, 12:47 AM
oh look..history =P

http://www.vandal.net/foro/cache/239109_1.htm

gabe28
05-20-2005, 12:57 AM
See IF that helmet thing is real, it could be one of 2 things though... it could be that you still use your TV, and your just looking though some clear LCD display for score and ammo count and stuff like that (like a Heads-up-display). That really wouldn't help you much in games, you can't really turn your head too much, cuz you still have to be looking at your TV set. Ofcourse this solution is the more technologically feasable/cheaper solution, yet might not really be that advanced.

OR

It could have actual LCD screens right in the helmet like an actual Virtual Reality unit that also can sense movement and such. This would be the much cooler and much more advanced way to go.. BUT would cost lots more and be much riskier.

From the "concept" video, I got the impression that it was the first and cheaper method, but ya never know. I would LOVE for it to be an actual VR-type of system, and honestly that would be the only way I would ever buy a Nintendo console. I just don't think they have the technology to be able to do it.

There is a third, and better possibility. There are tiny projectors that can beam images directly into your eye, basicly using your retina as a movie screen. I think this approach holds far more promise than using little lcd screens. The problem with lcd screens is that you're still just looking at a little square. For a good virtual reality experience the image should go to your peripheral. And of course there should be sensors (gyros or whatever) that can in real time perfectly match the image you see to the movement of your head. If this is done just right I see no reason why your head would spin.

L.Rawlins
05-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Screw beaming VR into my eyeballs, just give me a Holodeck. :thumbsup:

'backspace', would it not be hilarious to see Sam Jackson wearing that hat before the year is through. :D

JKStudios
05-20-2005, 01:21 AM
http://www.jameskearsley.com/images/toaster.jpg

That's right. This puppy can make you toast. Now that's a revolution.

:scream: I couldnt help it....from the moment I saw it i thought it looked like a toaster or a deep fat fryer. I was hoping it would be real, but since it's not, a toaster it is.

Thought i'd throw my stone into the pond, see if I make any ripples or if anyone believes that it can now infact, make toast.

L.Rawlins
05-20-2005, 01:46 AM
So... we have a 'PS3' thats a George Foreman grill, an... 'ON' thats a toaster... would someone care to turn the 'X360' into something?

(This is were the Mac enthusiasts rub their hands together with a devilish glee...)

:)

Geta-Ve
05-20-2005, 01:56 AM
xbO = paperweight :D

couldn't resist!!

pogonip
05-20-2005, 02:01 AM
In his speech he never did say that was the new revolution ...he said it was a prototype ... so in reality he did not lie ...but he did say it would be as tall as 3 dvd cases so if it is the helmet thing he did lie .... I dunno I hope it's the helmet thing ...

JKStudios
05-20-2005, 02:06 AM
Maybe Sony and Nintendo should look to other markets aswell :shrug:

As for Microsoft, I think they have their asses covered...

http://www.jameskearsley.com/images/Drinks_dispenser.jpg

L.Rawlins
05-20-2005, 02:08 AM
Funnily enough, I totally saw that one coming. (Coffee Machine.)

DevilHacker
05-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Maybe the "revolution" game system they are showing right now is really just an upgraded gamecube...? Think about it, it has GameCube controller ports, Memory Card slots... And everyone was just assuming that the new controllers were wireless, but in reality, its just a supped-up gamecube that plays DVDs and gives you access to the old Nintendo library...

It makes sense!
Nintendo has an past history of re-releasing their consoles…
EX: GBA, upgraded to GBA SP, upgraded to GBA Micro…

If true, this is going down in gaming history!
If false, Nintendo is going to loose the console wars, and will become like Sega.

Acestrik3r
05-20-2005, 02:34 AM
Don’t count Nintendo out yet. They were the one that brought power glove, Nintendo gun, the Olympic pad, touch screen, dual screen, smallest console, handheld to another type of handheld. I say this, if Nintendo doesn't bring a big bang in gen war console, it could be over for them, but if they do bring something amazing that everyone is thinking about. It will give other console the run for there money. This will possibly change the gaming industry.

itsallgoode9
05-20-2005, 03:06 AM
Don’t count Nintendo out yet. They were the one that brought power glove, Nintendo gun, the Olympic pad, touch screen, dual screen, smallest console, handheld to another type of handheld. I say this, if Nintendo doesn't bring a big bang in gen war console, it could be over for them, but if they do bring something amazing that everyone is thinking about. It will give other console the run for there money. This will possibly change the gaming industry.

The thing that sucks is that they are the ones which orignially comes out with the revolutionary hardware but never are the ones who profit most which really sucks. I mean the Controller, The shoulder buttons, the analog stick, and the rumble pack....the only thing that I can think of they didn't make standard are memory cards and dual analog. Nintendo just doesn't make the type of games to draw in the main crowd as much anymore. It's too bad because they don't get as much credit in the innovation of video games as they should.

poly-phobic
05-20-2005, 03:33 AM
The thing that sucks is that they are the ones which orignially comes out with the revolutionary hardware but never are the ones who profit most which really sucks. I mean the Controller, The shoulder buttons, the analog stick, and the rumble pack....the only thing that I can think of they didn't make standard are memory cards and dual analog. Nintendo just doesn't make the type of games to draw in the main crowd as much anymore. It's too bad because they don't get as much credit in the innovation of video games as they should.

great poem!!!

cry me a bloody river.

they're great innovators, with poor executions,

novadude
05-20-2005, 03:36 AM
Nintendo would make it if they had third party dev's making games to draw in the 18 to [old-1] crowd. I'm not going to shell out for a whole new console for one or two games that I might like when I can pick up an XBOX and have twenty+ (which admittedly I won't replay any of those after the 360 comes out, unless I get Live with it, in which case I might blow the dust off from Halo 2)

DevilHacker
05-20-2005, 03:43 AM
Nintendo would make it if they had third party dev's making games to draw in the 18 to [old-1] crowd. I'm not going to shell out for a whole new console for one or two games that I might like.
Well said!
I am still buying a Xbox360...
But if this mockup is real I might get it also...
:D

rakmaya
05-20-2005, 03:45 AM
Well said!
But if this mockup is real I might get it also...
:D

which one? the toster mokup?:D

baaah888
05-20-2005, 03:54 AM
great poem!!!

cry me a bloody river.

they're great innovators, with poor executions,

nintendos only failing in my opinion is marketing,.

the N64 is the best console of the last 2 generations, ive never had a console that got me and my friends together so much playing it, for 4 years me and my friends pretty much played games for a bit every night, wether it was coming over to play multi player or to sit and play thru single player games, Yet the n64 faild cause of marketing, the mainstream were duped by sony marketing that cartridges were bad, and nintendo couldnt answer.

I dont care what people say about nintendo simple fact is when it comes to games they are the best. when it comes to advertising and not being stuborn they are the worst,

I will buy the revolution for the simple fact that it's going to kick ass gameplay wise and will have a back catalog of ALL the n64 games. im so glad that when i grew up i wasn't narrow minded and didn't play games people class as kiddy games, these people are missing out...

as for PS sure its good, the only great thing that i saw announced about the PS3 is that it supports more than 2 controllers which is one of the PS2's downfalls. when im in a group of friends a 4 controller machine will always win out. man the n64 was great,

Before anyone acuses me of being too a nintedo fanboy ive owned every console from the master system and nes to the PS2 xbox and GC, and im not brand loyal, i will buy all 3 consoles, and i will like different things about them, my love of the n64 and nintendo is more of respect for what they've done for the games industry. and the way people dismiss things is just one thing i guess annoys me. but thats consumerism for ya.

PhilOsirus
05-20-2005, 04:12 AM
for 4 years me and my friends pretty much played games for a bit every night, wether it was coming over to play multi player or to sit and play thru single player games, Yet the n64 faild cause of marketing, the mainstream were duped by sony marketing that cartridges were bad, and nintendo couldnt answer.

I doubt the millions of gamers out really felt this way. "Sony says CDs rules, cartridges suck, so I'll spend hundreds of dollars on their console and games and pretend I'm having fun for a few years". I like Nintendo, but they should stick to games. The PS1 had all sorts of games, racing games, sports games, fighting games, lots of RPGs, platformers, etc. Nintendo never has enough third party support and their real strenght are their games. I know I want to play the next Zelda! And I know I won't play it cause I'm not buying a console for it.

baaah888
05-20-2005, 04:40 AM
Phil, im talking about the mainstream as in the non gamers who just got a PS cause they became "cool" I know others prefered the PS cause of the types of games they liked were more on the PS which is fair play,

but im not jokeing when i say, most kids i went to high school with were consumer retards.

The sort of people who buy designer lable clotheing that doesn't look good cause a magazine like FHM said it looks cool, (watch nathan barley if you want to see idiots)

the conversations id have with these guys in some classes were just so funny, they'd talk about how crap nintendo and sega were, yet when i asked if they'd played any of them they'd say no i dont play crap. then they'd talk about how cool the new fifa was.

you may think im jokeing but it was seriously that bad, the only time i actually thought one of them had a mind of his own, was when one guy bought abes oddessy (man that was a game :)) his friends eventually played it then realised it was cool.

the worst thing i ever heard any of them say was that they had played his little bro's Crash bandicoot and it kicks mario's ass.

The worst ever comment ive heard from a mainstream kid was from a friend, he was in HMV and a kid behind him said "wow alien ressurection, thats the best one of the series" my friend has never gone back to that HMV he was that insulted.

Man i know i come off as "Elite"ist but seriously if you think PS succedded cause of its games alone then you haven't experienced the mainstreem consumer in all their glory.{read glory, as "stupidity" (fair play to sony for taking advantage of this}

ppself
05-20-2005, 04:43 AM
uhhhhhhhhh. yea. nintendo is going down this time. enjoy your marios and zeldas cause next up is unreal3, and killzone2.

Supervlieg
05-20-2005, 08:41 AM
uhhhhhhhhh. yea. nintendo is going down this time. enjoy your marios and zeldas cause next up is unreal3, and killzone2.

Arent they both sequels of games that we've seen before, but that just look more pretty?

EpShot
05-20-2005, 08:46 AM
Arent they both sequels of games that we've seen before, but that just look more pretty?

same thing could be said about killzone really. just another futuristic military fps :shrug:

Geta-Ve
05-20-2005, 10:38 AM
same thing could be said about killzone really. just another futuristic military fps :shrug:

thats exactly what he WAS saying..

anyways.. i never heard a word about U3? I know of ut07 and gow.. not u3 though.. hmm anyways, nintendo will be around for a while longer if for the simple fact that they have money :p

And to be honest, I dont really think ive played a NINTENDO game that I didnt like to some extent.. That didnt tickle my fancy just a little bit. :) But I want amazing graphics haha, so im going with ps3. (plus ive gone with the ps1 and 2 soo... i pretty much gotta :D)

AnimBot
05-20-2005, 04:21 PM
the N64 is the best console of the last 2 generations, ive never had a console that got me and my friends together so much playing it, for 4 years me and my friends pretty much played games for a bit every night, wether it was coming over to play multi player or to sit and play thru single player games

I would say the exact same thing except replace "N64" with "Dreamcast".

Gamoron
05-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Nintendo will open up later this year

ashen
05-20-2005, 05:39 PM
N64 made it for me the past years as well. Countless fun with brothers, friends...

GameCube did same for me even though not as much, however still loved it due to Zelda, SunShine, and of course RE4.

Now can't wait for Revolution, as I feel it's wise that Nintendo doesn't reveal it's new controller that early. I mean, everytime they come up with these innovative designes they get practically stolen by opponent right away~! Seriously, did Sony or anybody else come up with the mentioned Analog Stick, Rumble Pack, and Shoulder Button? They just took it~

zzacmann
05-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Nintendo was like computers back in the 80's and early 90's. Gaming was considered nerdy. Now, like being computer savvy, video games are considered "cool".

I've got to give it to Sony for making gaming cool with their marketing for the first Playstation. I don't think the industry would be as strong today if not for their Playstation and PS2 marketing. I know A LOT of people that bought Playstations that had never played games before.

But at the same time, I feel like the video games have be stolen from those of us that played them back throughout the eighties. We didn't play them because they were "cool", we played them because they were fun, and I remember being made fun of because I played video games. Now everybody has a game console at home and game publishers are catering to "coolness" factor rather than the fun factor.

I guess I just root for Nintendo because they were with me before video games were "hip". Same way I root for Atari.

heavyness
05-20-2005, 05:45 PM
its funny, Nintendo is the "Star Wars" of the video game industry when it comes to people who post online. they all complain and put it down, but they all go and buy it in the end.

also, i've noticed a lot of people complaining about Nintendo, but yet they still say there going to get it [and not just this forum].

so like i said before, it seems Nintendo has no direct competition while PS3 and 360 are battling out against each other.

AnimBot
05-20-2005, 09:40 PM
I've got to give it to Sony for making gaming cool with their marketing for the first Playstation. I don't think the industry would be as strong today if not for their Playstation and PS2 marketing. I know A LOT of people that bought Playstations that had never played games before.

Let's put things into perspective here. Nintendo single handedly saved the game industry when the NES came out. So I would say I don't think the industry would be as strong today if Nintendo didn't give it the little jumpstart it needed.

zzacmann
05-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Let's put things into perspective here. Nintendo single handedly saved the game industry when the NES came out. So I would say I don't think the industry would be as strong today if Nintendo didn't give it the little jumpstart it needed.

You're missing my point. I AGREE with you. Nintendo created the industry. (yes, i know about atari, intellivision, pong, ect.) But Sony made it mainstream. Sony made it cool, sexy, and trendy.

I don't remember any Nintendo ads like this:
http://zzacmann.250free.com/playstationnipple.jpg

I've never been a huge fan of Sony. But with ads like these, no wonder so many non gamers became interested in gaming all of a sudden.

baaah888
05-21-2005, 02:39 AM
I would say the exact same thing except replace "N64" with "Dreamcast".

ha if i was naming my faveorite list in order it would be N64 followed closely by dreamcast (out of every console ever dreamcast was probably the most underated one of all, the games on it were great, shenmue, skys of arcadia, mmmmmmmmm sooo good (just not quite as good as n64 for me as it didn't have goldeneye or mario kart)

baaah888
05-21-2005, 02:40 AM
You're missing my point. I AGREE with you. Nintendo created the industry. (yes, i know about atari, intellivision, pong, ect.) But Sony made it mainstream. Sony made it cool, sexy, and trendy.

http://zzacmann.250free.com/playstationnipple.jpg

I've never been a huge fan of Sony. But with ads like these, no wonder so many non gamers became interested in gaming all of a sudden.

i absolutly agee with you, as well as this sony put PS's in nightclubs in the uk, so people would play games in the chill out rooms, this along with bribeing magazines like FHM to endorse their products made them massive over here at least.

3dsMaxTran
05-21-2005, 06:13 AM

**I PREFER NOT TO "ADVERTISE" ANYMORE THAN I HAVE TO**

Before you jump to conclusions about Sony, read >>THIS<< (http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?snes/snescdr.htm)
I ran across it while in search of the never released Super Nintendo Cd-rom extension. the source is rather iffy due to spelling and grammatical errors, but the sources are solid.
after reading the article this is what i have to say

If Nintendo were a bit more wise about their decisions, The playstation would cease to exist, and therefore, dreamcast sales wouldnt have flopped, and the entire game industry would be different this day, we wouldnt be looking at ps3, we'd be looking at DC2...such a shame. As the former president of Nintendo Hiroshi Yamauchi said, sega was their true competition, for two reasons, they were a true adversary going head to head with nintendo, and they were the only other console to have it's own 1st party games. sony managed to muster up 1 game in their history, and that was (one of my favourites) The Legend of Dragoon. Microsoft XBox may have been great, but they have not made a single game of their own to date, all were made by other companies funded by microsoft. this new generation has lost it's way, and i wouldnt be dissapointed if nintendo flops, because it would be better to have good consoles under their belt and be remembered for them, than to compete with these second rate, technically buff monsters.

EDIT** And >>HERE<< (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/superfamicom/snescd.htm) is another source for my article, and >>ANOTHER<< (http://uk.scee.com/about/sonyHistory.jhtml)

They all basically say the same thing, playstation wouldnt exist if nintendo made one decision, i just thought having more sources would make it more credible

2nd EDIT ** while i was following up on this by searching for a next gen sega console perhaps... i ran across >>THIS<< (http://articles.filefront.com/Nintendos_Fortunes_Remain_in_the_Balance/;353;1;;/article.html)Probably old news, but i thought it would relate to my ideas(gee, i'm really following the, post all your sources rule lol)

happy reading ppl

NanoGator
05-21-2005, 06:25 AM
If Nintendo were a bit more wise about their decisions, The playstation would cease to exist, and therefore, dreamcast sales wouldnt have flopped, and the entire game industry would be different this day, we wouldnt be looking at ps3, we'd be looking at DC2...such a shame.
[/size]

I seriously doubt that. First off, if Nintendo had gone through with the SNES CD, it would have mutated into a Sony product. The reason why the deal fell through in the first place was that Sony wanted their name slapped all over it, not Nintendo's. Nintendo didn't want to lose their business, that's why they went towards Phillips.

As for what would have happened today, I don't think it would have been much different. Sony wasn't keen on doing game systems, but Ken Kutaragi was extremely enamored with the idea. He wanted to prove that Sony could do it. That's why the deal with Nintendo started in the first place. When it fell through, he had enough clout to convince Sony to give it a go. The Playstation was born.

Would the gaming market have been different? Probably. It's even possible Nintendo wouldn't have been around at all.

EpShot
05-21-2005, 06:27 AM
i absolutly agee with you, as well as this sony put PS's in nightclubs in the uk, so people would play games in the chill out rooms, this along with bribeing magazines like FHM to endorse their products made them massive over here at least.

umm, that how advertising works, you don't bribe a magazine.. you pay them to run your ad.I highly doubt sony went through the trouble to put the playstations in those clubs, i would think a smart owner saw a trend and hoped on before they got left behind.. but then i don't live there so i don't know.

but what the hell is it with you people not liking gaming becoming popular?!?!
now you can't be all weird and eccentric or something?

the more people play, the more money goes into the industry, the more it drives down prices, increases competition and we get a lot of good stuff out of it. I suppose your also pissed anime is mainstream now? cause you know, i LOVED paying $30 per dvd, or only beign able to download crappy video's off the interent.

more people play games, the more games are made. yes a lot of crappy games are made because the volume increases, but as a result, more good games get made as well. There's way more good games than i could even afford to play if i had th etime or inclination. i can't count the number of games i've had to leave behind, or could only get part way through.

honestly i think Nintendo will do fine, though they may not come in first. They will probably make plenty of money. And what happens if they fail? same thing that happened to sega, they make games for other consoles, and i don't have to worry about having to have a specific console just because i want 5 games really bad.

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2005, 06:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.