PDA

View Full Version : STARCRAFT E3 2005 Cinematics Trailer

Aritz
05-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Download it here (http://www.blizzard.com/ghost/movies/)

animateddave
05-19-2005, 03:00 PM
It should be noted that these are links to a torrent type file not a direct link to the videos.

SegFaultII
05-19-2005, 03:58 PM
for 1 second i thought you are talking about starcraft 2.
but its only boring sc:ghost. yawn.

splintah
05-19-2005, 04:17 PM
for 1 second i thought you are talking about starcraft 2.
but its only boring sc:ghost. yawn.

dude
that would have been like christmas and birthday and easter together

Viper
05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Wow...for an instance there I actually thought about Starcraft 2 aswell....don't do that again dude!

pearson
05-19-2005, 05:48 PM
I haven't been impressed with ghost so far... :sad:

Jonnydigitall
05-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Man, I was thinking even bigger, I was thinking, World of Starcraft E3 trailer. I was gonna go dance naked in the street. But ghost can turn out sexy, who knows.

archerx
05-19-2005, 06:37 PM
world of starcraft would be cool but with a different style than WOW since its been done a less cartoony style would be cool! imagine being a zerg and evolving.... so cool.... and the pvp would be totally awsome 3 way war !

Jonnydigitall
05-19-2005, 06:45 PM
OMG, That sounds so sexy, 3 way Pvp!!? Doode, the ghost would be like the rogue, and then you could be marines that could put abilities into firebat or machine gunner, and you could build and customize your own vehicles, adn Pvp in your seige tanks and hover crafts, 3 WAY! Doode, somebody better let blizzard know whats up!

Tonedef
05-19-2005, 08:41 PM
I have said this in another post....

"Grrrrr...Blizzard was listed as a "First Look" on the E3 site....I was thinking it would be a diablo or even better Starcraft 2! But noooo....there really was no first look other than the "new" build of SC Ghost....which IMO looks like just as much crap as the last one just shiny! The cinematic was nice, but the actual game is just plain...SHIT! It is cartoony like WoW on top of everything else. What happened to Blizzard, why are they nothing but trash anymore? The release of Diablo 2 marked the downhill progression of Blizzard and now they are near hitting rock bottom. They seem too much in the mindset of money they don't care what their games look like or how their 'fans' even think...

GAH! Sorry guys I just had to vent...I know there is alot more to vent about, but I will save that for later. God I hope Blizzard changes back to their old ways of quality over all else.

P.S.~ The storyline is most likely going to be just as bad as WoW's!"

That is my 2 cents about Starcraft Ghost and Blizzard

gilley
05-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Hrm, the "E3 2005 Cinematics Trailer" is shorter than the cinematic I saw at E3 yesterday. There's a longer scene with the troops in the dropship, they get surprised when they find out there's a ghost on the dropship.

EpShot
05-19-2005, 09:32 PM
totally_tonedef (member.php?u=77193): check out Guild Wars and Hellgate. they're being made by a whole bunch of guys that left blizzard.

Tonedef
05-19-2005, 09:53 PM
I know about that part, it is just a letdown....I was just venting, but I hope most of you agree with me when I say Blizzard is not just....crap. I mean I play WoW and WC3, but just to spend time with my family. Though I was a WC/SC junky WC3 was a huge letdown with the introduction of Heros and the uber cartoony look. Then here comes a time for them to redeem themselves with their SC fanbase and they make something that looks like Reboot (hehe I loved that show) but for graphics thesedays that is just horrible, Renegade did a better job at putting a player into a RTS world through 1 characters eyes.

So what I guess I am saying is that they aren't even following the path they used to be heading down, they are trying to be 'cool' and 'inovative' and it just isn't working....and on top of that no matter how many 'fans' complain they won't listen. Like with the torrent DL. People have done nothing but complained yet Blizzard still keep going with it.

FabioMSilva
05-19-2005, 09:55 PM
i was like "SC2?" OA! thats some news!

but then...beh...SC Ghost...

-Vormav-
05-19-2005, 11:21 PM
Wasn't too impressed with the cinematics, personally...
But I'm still interested in Starcraft Ghost. I thought it had been canned a couple years ago though. :shrug:

ReD_MeRkIn
05-19-2005, 11:26 PM
That looks horrible. The animations are weak, the models look very low poly,

compare this to doom 3, splinter cell, unreal, and this looks very dated, and it's not even out yet!

Only nice things is that all the designs look in tact from the original game.

the cinamatic sequence looks nice, but it's still weak compared to Warhammer DOW

very under-impressed

Geta-Ve
05-20-2005, 12:17 AM
That looks horrible. The animations are weak, the models look very low poly,

compare this to doom 3, splinter cell, unreal, and this looks very dated, and it's not even out yet!

Only nice things is that all the designs look in tact from the original game.

the cinamatic sequence looks nice, but it's still weak compared to Warhammer DOW

very under-impressed

what do you expect from ps2? o_O

edit: btw that cinematic was soo sick! oh man I loved it! Very styalised humans. not photo realistic, yet at the same time it is.. like just the design of them.. I love it!

though im a total blizz fanboy sooo.. haha :D

edit2: at about 31 seconds or so look in the very back you can see Goliaths walking around!!

Tim-Gibson
05-20-2005, 01:51 AM
...What happened to Blizzard, why are they nothing but trash anymore? ...they are near hitting rock bottom. They seem too much in the mindset of money they don't care what their games look like or how their 'fans' even think...

You're dreaming... They are still, IMO, one of the greatest game companies in the world and in the 'top 5 dream jobs' for me.

Tonedef
05-20-2005, 02:15 AM
Blizzard used to be one of my dreams too...but now I would take EA over them!

Darktwin
05-20-2005, 06:23 AM
IMO, the visual story of that trailer was pointless, a bunch of soldiers walking in a field, zerg pop out they panic and start to run. They could of at least put the troops in some type of formation. That trailer was similar to watching starship troopers again. I have a feeling that trailer was extremely rushed. I think blizzard is taking a huge risk creating a fps with so many other studios producing successful fps currently. They should have just made another real time strategy. RTS comes to mind when the word starcraft is mentioned anywhere. I'm afraid the Ghost title is going to have a ghost response when it comes game sales. I just hope I'm wrong.:shrug:

Pyke
05-20-2005, 06:54 AM
I hate torrents...any direct links?

Tonedef
05-20-2005, 07:58 AM
IMO, the visual story of that trailer was pointless, a bunch of soldiers walking in a field, zerg pop out they panic and start to run. They could of at least put the troops in some type of formation. That trailer was similar to watching starship troopers again. I have a feeling that trailer was extremely rushed. I think blizzard is taking a huge risk creating a fps with so many other studios producing successful fps currently. They should have just made another real time strategy. RTS comes to mind when the word starcraft is mentioned anywhere. I'm afraid the Ghost title is going to have a ghost response when it comes game sales. I just hope I'm wrong.:shrug:

I hope you are right and Blizzard may wake up!

Heber
05-20-2005, 08:00 AM
disapointed on this one, how long does blizzard take to make these cinematics anyways???? blur did an amazing one in 4 weeks!! surely this took wayyyy the hell longer, i saw screens from this long time ago. hmmm time to pick up the pace guys. :)

SheepFactory
05-20-2005, 08:24 AM
wasnt this game supposed to come out 2 years ago?

ThomasMahler
05-20-2005, 08:25 AM
Well, the cinematics didn't blew me away (like the WoW Cinematics did), but the game looks really cool now - like a mix between Unreal Tournament and Perfect Dark. I like it. And the multiplayer looks great too.

But it looks very, very dated...

ThomasMahler
05-20-2005, 08:25 AM
wasnt this game supposed to come out 2 years ago?

Well, it looks like it was supposed to come out 4 years ago! ;)

RAINpit
05-20-2005, 09:01 AM
now i can't help myself, where in the world is the "feeling" i got watching starcraft and broodwar cinematics
maybe its just me,
and i told myself that maybe i've grown old and unappreciative but as not to say that i am paranoid , after watching this movie i got the old broodwar disk and watched a bit of cinematics from it, and the feeling was there , like it had been 6 years ago
so no, i haven;t grown old, and yes this cinematic is soo much lower than what blizzard used to make
once they were artistic, i mean they had a fell to them, a mood
now i dunno what to say about this one, i would like to come to its aid and say, well, at least its technical, but hell no, far from technical, it looks rushed, and i've seen way better technical displays from other "underrated cinematic companies" - (i mean for an example of evolution watch the E3 Prince of Persia 3 cinematic, done by ubisoft, now that is what i call evolution compared to previous cinematics).
in the sequences with the terrans walking around, i could feel(see) the brush in the mattes in the background (such low consistency between foreground 3d elements and the background mattes i can actually tell u where the 3d elements end and where the 2d begins...SICK)
i mean at least look at blur, even if they do the same thing (as everybody else) they do some slick framing to help aid the illusion of space (severe camera angles, interesting closeups, background blurring etc)
what the hell is this all about
and what is it with the stupid 2 sec sequences of those dropships
that is not the Blizzard Direction i used to know, they did't do that kinda of sick-low-budget-looking-indie-no story-no-mood-fast-flight kinda Framing
and everything else just didn't feel directed properly
i bet my 10.000 eurocents that i don't have, that this is a toootaly different cinematic team
probably some guys that have been hired two or three years ago
these are not the hardcore blizzard cinematics team i used to know
well, i guess things change, and the best we can do is not get too sentimental about it

I wouldn't want a starcraft 2 from this blizzard.

but with all the bad words i have to say i liked it, because of old times sake and the feel u get seeing terrans and ultralisks and mutalisks and goliaths in a cinematic in 2005. kinda makes old memories come back doesn;t it
but if i were new to the starcraft universe, and i would't have the story, the characters, the universe in my mind to back these images up in my mind and help them get past the "ordinary cinematic" line that is clearly established seeing unimpressive, uninteresting stuff like this, it would look like a ordinary "not-so-well-made" cinematic.

i just hope blizzard doesn't lose itself in the blizzard

Geta-Ve
05-20-2005, 09:05 AM
well unfortunately they were screwed over by vivendi just like hl2 was, and this was maybe halfway through production or something so then they had to start over i think? with a new company.. I dunno the exact details, but just recently they ended up buying out the new company and adding the staff to their staff.

As per the cinematic, im thinking there are a few in the game and this was just a bunch of them cut together, more like a teaser to the actual intro.

A nice effect to notice is when the fire bat steps up pause and key through the frames where he starts shooting. You will notie that the gasoline( ? ) comes out first and then is ignited, really neat stuff.

Also like I said you can see a goliath in the background in one or two shots, and also a trampled BLUE marine in another shot.

Im also guessing they left out ALOT of dialoge as you can see the lips moving but no words.. cept for the few.

I also like that they have a few different variations of the marine suits and each one is actually customized. For instance, you have the general guy you can see he is decked out in eagles and stars and crap on his suit, and this model of suit also provides front lights. Then there is the suits the marines use in the drop ship which is a bit different, look on each of their suits, they have their own decorations. Makes it feel like the marines actually exist you know? Like this is the sort of thing they do to call their suit their own type thing. Like on the shoulder pads of one marine you can see a smiley face, and on another you can see a sun, and then on the various other parts of the suits are different logos and sprays and such. and all the rust and paint chipping...

AND, even inside their helms are really detailed.. thats insane! And there are a few shots where it almost looks like orcs are in the background :p

Ok Im a nerd I know. haha. Oh something else I thought was really neat was when they turn their head to talk or what not the actual helm swivvles, that was pretty cool I thought. And how in the dropship all the equipment is rattling around..

Honestly all this secondary animation is the mark of a pro.. imo.. it just feels so... right (to me)

Personally I think it took as much time as was needed. The amount of detail in it was incredible.

edit: as per mattes? I didnt think bliz used em that often, I know in alot of the wc3 cinematics they did 3d skies, clouds and such.

and to name all the units I saw in this cinematic (for fun)

- Marine
- Firebat
- Ghost (heh)
- Goliath
- Dropship
- Zergling
- Ultralisk
- Mutalisk
- Hatchery :p

- a blue marine....?

I would have liked to see the protoss though.

But like I said before I think this is just a TEASER of the actual cinematic.

Tonedef
05-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Rain...you put into words what I have been trying to say!!! That old school Blizzard feeling is all but alive! I really didn't get anything from the WoW cine. It just concerns me that when they do do a SC2 they will trash it, rip it up, piss on it and then give us the finished pile of crap in an attempt to make a quick buck and go buy another company. I swear it is like the damn company is being run by Donald Trump.

They still have a chance for a comeback in my book...it all lies with SC2...if they screw that up like they did to Warcraft with WC3 then I will officially call it quits on them and never look back.

Eldron
05-20-2005, 11:00 AM
.. I'm quite surprised with lots of replies in this post, how blizzard messed up with wc3, how everything is cartoony, and how wc3 from wc2 went cartoony, Since when has wc2 ever not been cartoony?

although this cinematic wasn't the best I've seen from blizzard, I still got the old starcraft feel from it...

GIVE ME WORLD OF THE LOST VIKINGS NOW!!1

Sieb
05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Its nice to see they haven't forgotten about Ghost.. 4 years now or something. The gameplay looked fun. The look is somewhat fitting with what the Starcraft universe looks like, which is fine with me. I like the cartoony look of WoW and Ghost, its a nice change from the gritty HL2 look of games nowadays. My only gripe is that the physics looks like it needs some work, the marines move around too fast for how big they are IMHO. I'd still get it as long as it has some fun multiplayer action.

Pyke
05-20-2005, 12:08 PM
The cinematics (from what i've seen in screen caps) look awsome. I think that some of you have forgotten how 'bad' the Star Craft cinematics are. Sure-for their time they were INCREDIBLE....but watch them again now.

Now onto another rant:

To say that Blizzard messed up with WC3 is just stupid. WC3 is an incredible game (and winner of several Game Of The Year, as well as RTS Of The Year awards). It was DEFINATELY a worthy upgrade to WCII.

As for Ghost-I am confident that Blizzard will continue to refine on the one area where Blizzard games have always been unmatched...Gameplay. In Blizzard worlds, graphics have almost always come in second to play balance, longevity, and gameplay. Diablo, and Diablo II were 2D, in a market where 3D was all the rage, and the 'obvious' choice to go. Same with Starcrafts 256 colour, 800 x 600 (could even be 640?) graphics engine.

Unless you have actually PLAYED a Blizzard game, I dont think you can truely appreciate them. Breaking out of the mold with Ghost is a good move on the part of Blizzard-and, while it may have been motivated by money (console games DO make more money than PC games), Blizzard have never been a company that would release a game that they were not happy with. Heck, they scrapped Warcraft Adventures entirely for these exact reasons.

Then again, I'm a true-blue Blizzard fan boy. :)

Side Note-has anybody found a direct link to the cinematic...i've found the gameplay trailers...but not the cinematic.

RAINpit
05-20-2005, 01:29 PM
well i was ranting about the cinematics and not the game
the multiplayer movie looks nice and quite fun actually
but i must play the game before i can comment anything

as for the cinematic, i like the detail they put into it (like the hordes of zerlings coming down from that hilltop with the overmind (or the similar thing on top) - background stuff of course, i mean its Blizzard after all, duuuh
but detail isn't everything, mood and direction are primordial
to me, this vaguely had both of those
when i talk about the first starcraft cinematics no matter how old they are, remember the camera moves, remember direction, mood, storyplay, and then u will understand what i am talking about
i am not talking about old bad animation vs new and better animation, nor about texture detail or compositing or any comparisons like that with the old cinematics.
look at it with another eye other than how nice it looks and u will notice something...
PS. i'll give u a classic example: ever played Blade Runner (the adventure game)?
it was done by EA back in 1997, it had 5 cd(at the time that was alot) and had some amazing cinematics(perfectly resembling ridley scotts movie). anybody remembering those movies? done with max 2.5,cs, and lightwave back in the days?
take a look at them again, now....they are amazing, still amazing
i can point u a dozen "current" game cinematics that don;t even come close to what those boys did back in 1997 (again, don't think technical)
no matter how much time passes some things are timeless

to me , those starcraft cinematics are timeless

cheers

lehmi
05-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I just love wc3... especially because of it's style, would be really boring without it.

But this is the first time I'm rather disappointed by a cinematic from blizzard. It just looks so rushed. Everyone in the video is speaking, but there are no words coming out of my speakers... they just syncronized this commander at the very end.

It looks really rushed in my opinion. Not sure, but I think they even reused the animations from the warcraft 3 cinematic (where thrall is facing the pit lord) for this zerg beast...

visuals are great as always... but nothing special... compared to the wow cinematic this was kinda poor.

Geta-Ve
05-20-2005, 07:04 PM
I just love wc3... especially because of it's style, would be really boring without it.

But this is the first time I'm rather disappointed by a cinematic from blizzard. It just looks so rushed. Everyone in the video is speaking, but there are no words coming out of my speakers... they just syncronized this commander at the very end.

It looks really rushed in my opinion. Not sure, but I think they even reused the animations from the warcraft 3 cinematic (where thrall is facing the pit lord) for this zerg beast...

visuals are great as always... but nothing special... compared to the wow cinematic this was kinda poor.

poor how? because they havn't added the dialogue? or because a scene looks similar to wc3? It would be almost impossible to reuse anims from a totally different character.

Like I have said a few times tihs is most likely just a teaser/trailer to the actual intro cinematic. Does no one else agree? I don't understand how so many people have lost faith in bliz just because of this cinematic.. It honestly baffles my mind. Were all of you saying the same thing with the wc3 trailer cinimatics?

I will say it does lack a certain "depth" that the warcraft cinematics have, but given the story line of starcraft I think this works quite nicely. And I still say its a trailer so once the actual full cinematic comes out im sure it will be grand and everyone will be all hippity jippity..

EDIT: btw pyke, if you want the cinematic, I can send it to you if you have MSN.. but really the torrent thing is bliz own client, you download a .exe and run it and it downloads the cinematic to your desktop. You dont have to have your own torrent client or even know how to use one. Just run the .exe :)

lehmi
05-20-2005, 07:37 PM
That was not mentioned to be bitching against blizzard...

I'm just saying that this is the first time that it seems as if they have delivered something unfinished... You can't release a (teaser) trailer with characters that obviously move their mouth but not saying anything... if it was packaged more like this making of wow video... that would have been ok... with some behind they scenes stuff and so on...but this just looks rushed... I still "believe" in blizzard... I'm just a bit disappointed that they did it...

it seems expectations are getting too high... I'm wondering that the pace of future games will be... this stuff is getting really complex...

t-man152
05-20-2005, 08:18 PM
damn you got me I was thinking Starcraft 2 as well

Geta-Ve
05-20-2005, 08:35 PM
That was not mentioned to be bitching against blizzard...

I'm just saying that this is the first time that it seems as if they have delivered something unfinished... You can't release a (teaser) trailer with characters that obviously move their mouth but not saying anything... if it was packaged more like this making of wow video... that would have been ok... with some behind they scenes stuff and so on...but this just looks rushed... I still "believe" in blizzard... I'm just a bit disappointed that they did it...

it seems expectations are getting too high... I'm wondering that the pace of future games will be... this stuff is getting really complex...

Why not? They did the exact same thing at the 2004 e3 They showed an unfinished WoW cinematic...

tdamcbigity
05-20-2005, 08:45 PM
I love love. Looketh uponeth the gloriousnesses of the filmethworld. Can we fathom the power of the Mac? The power of the winter Blizzard? I enjoy CG a lot, I think it'll turn out the out. People are always too critical, rather than constructive criticism we findeth the storyeth of the siren songeth in the worldearth. Chow-bye.

Viper
05-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Well, having just watched the trailer a bunch of times, I think the visuals were great...the story isn't there of course, but then again, it's suposed to be a Teaser as I see it, and a really nice one at that...some of the creatures from the Zerg were impressive to see in a more realistic scale. Also, you can whine all you want, but the Blizzard cinematics are always kickass...even in Warcraft 3 that was a bit boring, I went trough to the end just to see the cinematics. I still have to do the same with The Frozen Throne though...

My only big problem with this game so far, is that it won't come for PC. Consoles are cheaper then a PC, but the games here are off the roof in the price, so I don't really bother....

Tonedef
05-20-2005, 09:00 PM
I never said WC was never cartoony...just that they had the oportunity to make it not cartoony. My biggest beef with WC3 is gameplay. The only time I, and most everyone I know, have fun on it is when we play a custom made scenario map.

I used to be a HUGE Blizzard fan...seriously...but they just have been 1 dissapointment after another. And as for Ghost being cartoony...it is a SC game and if any of their games needed to look real, it was this one. But me talking about this here is pointless...I am talking to a group of people who think that picaso was a genius and cell shading is the way of the future.

Viper
05-20-2005, 09:09 PM
it is a SC game and if any of their games needed to look real, it was this one. But me talking about this here is pointless...I am talking to a group of people who think that picaso was a genius and cell shading is the way of the future.

Yeah...this one I have to agree...Starcraft is a game that calls for more realistic visuals. The setting is a darker one then that of WC. I also don't like Picasso's stuff :D

bentllama
05-20-2005, 10:52 PM
I am upset that Ghost did not play as well as I wanted it too...I hope it gets tightened and tweaked some more...I trust it will...

...and looking at Battlegrounds...yikes...as if I needed a sugar coating that sweet on top of my current addiction! Yowza! Looks fun!

Geta-Ve
05-20-2005, 10:54 PM
ha! I couldn't name a picaso if I was staring at it for 24 hours straight :D

MFTituS
05-20-2005, 11:09 PM
oh yeah,

blizzard is really falling deep.

first the crappy warcraft3 then the bad world of warcraft
and now the first cinematic that isnt mind-blowing.
what comes next - taking our money for empty gameboxes???
where is the quality, the great graphics, the gameplay, the gorgeous cinematics...
they just want our money.

lol, cant believe what some guys are writing.

i have played w3 and now wow more than any other title in the last few years with many friends and i love the cartony, disneyish style of the games and their unbeaten cutscenes.
i have not noticed any change into bad by blizzard until now.

and starcraft ghost is for consoles only, it is a spin-off of starcraft and they dont even make this game themself (itīs a third party developer they have bought in now) - so who cares....it has not much to do with blizzard. they just want to expand and try something new. if it will be successful than we can hope for even more great games from them, if not, then they will maybe keep their hands of the console market or invest more energy on the next titles.

levin
05-20-2005, 11:28 PM
blizzard games are all about gameplay. first look into the WoW, i was inspired at the creativity and craft; how a game could look so good without the techno-testosterone. no normal mapping no high poly models and effects; compared to games that would be uber crap without the "pushing the technology" factor, just true talent and skill.

blizzard going down? since when? they are the king of the hill, as far as im concerned. they are the ones who really know how to make a NEW GAME.

Laa-Yosh
05-21-2005, 12:16 AM
first the crappy warcraft3 then the bad world of warcraft

Are you aware that WoW is the single most successful MMORPG in the western part of the world?

Apoclypse
05-21-2005, 12:19 AM
But weren't the charcters cartoony in the original starcraft?

Geta-Ve
05-21-2005, 01:55 AM
Are you aware that WoW is the single most successful MMORPG in the western part of the world?

he was being sarcastic (at least thats how I read it)

Viper
05-21-2005, 02:29 AM
But weren't the charcters cartoony in the original starcraft?
No, the whole game was pretty dark and realistic...Of course, the character design was stylised in a specific way, but still very close to realism...the game was done in a time where there wasn't all these stuff we have right now, but I still find the cinematics impressive for what they are....

PizzasRgooD
05-21-2005, 02:29 AM
i dont really care about all this, i just wish they would stop pushing this game so much. they know everybody wants starcraft 2 (how can they not) yet they keep on saying 'hey! new starcraft stuff coming up!' and its all about ghost then. like they know nobody cares about it, but still try to convert pc rts gamers to console shooters in a very lame way.

ppself
05-21-2005, 03:00 AM
hmmm idont know what to say except taht the cinematics for SCG looked liked peices of the warhammer dawn of war cinematics. as for the actual game i have nothing to say except it didnt look that snazzy or spectacular more-less a regular you see at best buy sitting at the bottom. but hey its blizzard they charge people $$$ a month to play their games, so why not continue doing what they do.

Viper
05-21-2005, 03:13 AM
i dont really care about all this, i just wish they would stop pushing this game so much. they know everybody wants starcraft 2 (how can they not) yet they keep on saying 'hey! new starcraft stuff coming up!' and its all about ghost then. like they know nobody cares about it, but still try to convert pc rts gamers to console shooters in a very lame way.

So true! Except, and this was mentioned before by one of the Blizzard dudes, they would have a really hard time making SC2 better then SC1, and not look like a graphics update only. And I have to agree. They'd have to bring in a kickass story to keep it all up...

Finally, I'm bugged by the fact that the first SC game after several years, won't come to the PC. They are really pushing there, cause the people that know SC are the PC ones, and not the console guys...I know I'm not buying a console for just one game...

Lunatique
05-21-2005, 05:06 AM
I was hoping this would be good, since one of my friends worked on it. But after seeing the latest stuff, I'm pretty underwhelmed. They need to up the quality of the animation, and the direction for the cinematic/trailers really could use some improvement.

Viper
05-21-2005, 10:13 AM
As for the quality of the anim, I'm a bit suspect, cause I always like Blizzard's stuff, but I agree on the directing...I still think this was just a teaser with a draft of plotline in though...

Laa-Yosh
05-21-2005, 10:53 AM
and the direction for the cinematic/trailers really could use some improvement.

I think it's clear that the sequences are all mixed up in the trailer - this has nothing to do with the final cut. The question is, why are they doing this, releasing a totally bad cut of high quality material?

ambient-whisper
05-21-2005, 11:17 AM
lol, cant believe what some guys are writing.

i have played w3 and now wow more than any other title in the last few years with many friends and i love the cartony, disneyish style of the games and their unbeaten cutscenes.
i have not noticed any change into bad by blizzard until now.

yeah. i been playing war3 since it came out and i still do regularly. just because its fun, and it plays awesome. the new games such as warhammer, and the lord of the rings RTSes which i hoped would be great fun, dont even compare when it comes to gameplay. with the gazillion units you have on screen its just a pain in the butt to control and they become games based on spam. yukk.

if there is ever a continuation to the starcraft RTS, then i hope they build ontop off from where war3 finished ( as far as gameplay ideas go ).

all the very small touches in war3 make the game really streamlined for fast games. most games that my brother and i play last about 14-20 minutes, and sometimes as little as 5.
its great not having to ever just sit there for a number of minutes waiting for a unit to come out, and build up an army over one hour so that you can eventually have a huge war on the battlefield. its so much more fun to have a game of back and forth fighting until someone comes out ontop.

MFTituS
05-21-2005, 11:29 AM

yes i know and i like the game as i mentioned further in my post - dont worry, the first part was just a sarcastic reaction on some posts about blizzard.

and i like the cartony look more than anything. nearly all rts and mmorpgs look realistic and boring. itīs all the same......but blizzard is standing out from the crowed with their style and all fits together, the exaggerated design, the strong and great colourpalette, the painted disneyish textures and the exaggerated animations - this is game art and not throwing phototextures an models, putting boring coloured lights into the scene and trying to copy the reality without an individual touch.

MFTituS
05-21-2005, 11:43 AM
@ ambient- whisper

yeah, that is why i liked w3 so much. blizzard has given the rts genre a new direction. no long building phases, no hiding behind a big defence or waiting an hour for the big battle to see if your strategy was right.
you have to rush out from the beginning and you meet your enemies many times. there is no one big battle, there are many small fights and you dont know, when you will meet your opponent the next time.
together with the custom map system you can have so much fun over a long time like not many games before.
not everybody has to like it, but it was something new and fresh....starcraft is nearly perfect by what it does, it would be more than hard to beat it. even the hundred of clones could not reach the quality. so blizzard went with w3 into a new direction....and again many rts are copying this style of game.

ambient-whisper
05-21-2005, 12:00 PM
yeah. the cool thing about war3 is definitely the large variety of battles. usually games start with small hero/general attacks, then with smaller scale fights, then they build up with more units, depending how many you can turn out. if games go past 15 minutes, usually by the 15-25 minute mark theres some huge battles and then at the end the wars tend to tone down again because gold runs dry ( if the game lasts over 40 min ), so you really have to do the most with what you got. and that goes with the entire game. you really have to try to take care of every single unit that you get because each one counts.

so much fun :D

SpiralFace
05-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Is it just me or is this the same cinematic I saw at e3 last year? If anything I think this one has even less dialoge then the teaser at e3 last year did. Man what a let down. I was'nt able to go to e3 this year, and I was realy hopeing to see at least something new with this game, but everyone is just focusing on reporting the new systems....yawn.....yesh. Yah I know we're going to be going into a game generation transition year next year, but sheesh, does that mean we are going to forget about the games that are comming out this year? All I see out there is New systems and new Zelda everywhere.

urgaffel
05-21-2005, 01:01 PM
The filename does say it's the e3 2004 teaser... And I agree with Lunatique and others in this thread, the direction and pacing of this little animation was pretty off. I was hoping for something more spectacular but me and a couple of co-workers just went "Meh, what's this? This isn't Blizzard quality..." when we saw this.

However, the game looks like fun, I don't care that it might look dated, I liked the look and hopefully it will be a good game when it comes out.

Sheep, at first Blizzard had Nihilistic developing it, then after a year or two they brought it back in house and then Swinging Ape got the contract and now they bought Swinging Ape just a week or two ago.

Viper
05-21-2005, 03:04 PM
I wonder if they'll put Raynor somewhere in the game...that would totally kickass :)

ThomasMahler
05-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Actually, isn't Fausto now working at Blizzard? His Space Marine looked better than the models we've seen here - Also, as far as I remember, he also did the Nova Rendering, right? That one also looked a hell lot better than this.

Not to say that the CG was bad, hell no, but it's not as "blizzardish mind-blowing" as we're used to.

FabioMSilva
05-21-2005, 03:51 PM
i've just seem the trailer and i must say:

- Seems like the game isn't the only thing that's going to suck in SC:Ghost

it's too sad...blizzard's downfall

Pyke
05-21-2005, 03:53 PM
OK..I finally got the torrent to work on one of the computers (DAMN FIREWALLS!)...and WOW.

The music...the lighting...the secondary movement. Excellent.

Onto wht people are saying about Ghost being 'realistic'...the graphics in SC are hardly realistic. Changing a style of art (something that Blizzard is well known for is their consistant style throughout each game world) would have been a MASSIVE mistake. The Ghost style is keeping on track with the SC style...the colours, technology feel...everything.

I would have thought that when showing a Ghost teaser they would have maybe gone the route of shwoing more of Nova...

levin
05-21-2005, 04:08 PM
some pundits were putting down WoW before it was released, about blizz being noob at the MMORPG scene. just look at where WoW is now... on their first mmorpg.

its obvious that the trailer was just a compilation of wips. no sound tracks no decent editing... maybe they just wanted to "show something" at E3

Geta-Ve
05-21-2005, 04:35 PM
some pundits were putting down WoW before it was released, about blizz being noob at the MMORPG scene. just look at where WoW is now... on their first mmorpg.

its obvious that the trailer was just a compilation of wips. no sound tracks no decent editing... maybe they just wanted to "show something" at E3

exactly what ive been saying :p

pyke: ya everything definatly feels SC to me, especially the marines, I mean honestly the original one had hillbilly type marines and they pretty much still stick to that type of thing. Just look at them in the drop ship looks like a bunch of mates together just doin their thang. You even got a guy with a tooth missing! MISSING!

Though I hope they bring in another character that smokes inside his helmet, that was AWESOME, haha.

I really enjoyed the music too, I liked the end bit where they cut to each marine turning their head and what not, that was neat ^_^

Honestly though, just this little trailer made me care for all these characters (even if they arnt the main part of sc or what not) but just the whole personalized feel each of them had, like the armour tats and what not. They look like guys you could go drinkin with :D

Pyke
05-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I agree completely abut the 'guys you could go drinkin with' thing. :beer:

I was pleasently surprised at the amount of human characters in this cinematic. I still would have liked to see something more centered around Nova...something showing a little more of what the gameplay would be like-but I suppose thats what the in game previews are all about!

Geta-Ve
05-21-2005, 04:49 PM
I agree completely abut the 'guys you could go drinkin with' thing. :beer:

I was pleasently surprised at the amount of human characters in this cinematic. I still would have liked to see something more centered around Nova...something showing a little more of what the gameplay would be like-but I suppose thats what the in game previews are all about!

Agreed, but like ive said, and you say, previews :)

Im guessing the actual cinematics will be more on touch with the how the story line is progressing in the game.

Apparently someone said there was more of nova at the actual e3 trailer of this.. Would have liked to see her... *ahem* in motion :D

PizzasRgooD
05-21-2005, 09:05 PM
actually the marine design changed a lot. they used to be a lot rounder shaped, now its all squary and it doesnt look that good. i just looked at my diablo2 dvd which has some old starcraft trailers, and the difference is very noticeable.
the overall feel has totally changed too, it used to be redneck (which it now isnt, or it fails), kinda like apocalypse now too, this is more like the warhammer intro. and for some reason, the heads all look like the guy in that warhammer intro too.

anyway they wont release a crappy game, we may not like it but it wont be crappy. we'll have to wait and see.

noisewar
05-21-2005, 10:14 PM

Well some of those "pundits" were from closed beta and saw the way the game was headed. Some of those pundits thought the game was great, but the rushed-out, inept, unbalanced, and arrogant approach Blizzard had to their customers wasn't warranting the monthly fee thrown into the void in desperate hope for fixes, attention, server stability, or the semi-promised content. Some of those, including this one, have quit and moved to greener pastures as the work we spent in beta documenting major flaws in the game were ignored for a pre-Christmas release.

That isn't the Blizzard way I remember. A quick comparison of their forums to any other game forum out there should give you a hint that not all is well in the land of Warcraft.

rwijaya
05-22-2005, 12:23 AM
pardon me if im wrong, But as i recall seeing the trailer at E3, its seem the one that they put online is much shorter than the one they showed at E3.

but seeing it at the big screen really a blown away experience.Was be able to see it at the big screen was a real trip.

but i just hope this game wont sucks.

pearson
05-22-2005, 12:57 AM

Blizz is indeed a noob in the MMO scene, as evidenced by their horrible ongoing lag troubles and the fact it took over 4 months to get their first patch out... >_<

Noisewar is right. I made it to 60 in beta, and while the game from 1-60 was a blast, the way blizz handled things made me decide to wait at least 6 months before giving them any of my money. Reading how things have been going since then, I still haven't been convinced to pay for WoW.

My experience with Blizz in the WoW beta really tarnished my image of them. Either Blizzard is being poorly managed, or is being ill used by Vivendi. Either way, the end result is the same, and the recent exodus shows something isn't right.

Also considering that :Ghost isn't even an in-house project, there's no way I'd buy it without renting it first.

Geta-Ve
05-22-2005, 01:08 AM
actually the marine design changed a lot. they used to be a lot rounder shaped, now its all squary and it doesnt look that good. i just looked at my diablo2 dvd which has some old starcraft trailers, and the difference is very noticeable.
the overall feel has totally changed too, it used to be redneck (which it now isnt, or it fails), kinda like apocalypse now too, this is more like the warhammer intro. and for some reason, the heads all look like the guy in that warhammer intro too.

anyway they wont release a crappy game, we may not like it but it wont be crappy. we'll have to wait and see.

actually the design hasnt changed as much as you might think as is evident here

http://www.battle.net/images/broodwar/pix/wall/terrprev.jpg

To me it just looks like it was givin an overhaul. The roundiness of someparts I think is probably due to their inadequit (sp?) modelling tools. But either way looks very similar.

And as for redneck, you dont get much more redneck than having teeth missing and a billy bob smile. Im sure they aren't gonna be full out like in the original starcraft where it was like "hey sarge, I luv you" *eaten*

:p

PizzasRgooD
05-22-2005, 01:35 PM
well thats a huge difference for just being an overhaul if you ask me

cant get more redneck? this was NOT redneck. yes there may have been some missing teeth, no that doesnt change anything. its impossible to have redneck with that kind of (obviously inspired by warcraft) music.
i think they have completely forgotten starcraft :/

Geta-Ve
05-22-2005, 05:01 PM
inspired by warcraft music?! what the? this was like straight out soldier music, just alot freakin better.. lol

PizzasRgooD
05-22-2005, 05:54 PM
yeah but soldier music doesnt fit here!
marines are just guys either having fun killing stuff, or not having fun dying. very little discipline as theyre lightyears from home. there shouldnt be anything heroic like this

INFINITE
05-22-2005, 06:05 PM
abit blan IMHO. and the 'Space Marine' stuff is a slight rip off of GAMESWORKSHOP 40K stuff.

thorn3d
05-22-2005, 07:11 PM
The trailer is weak on so many levels... the MP trailer is simply laughable. As someone said earlier, it looks like it was planned for release 4 years ago. If this were some mod community effort or brand-new startup company perhaps it would be understandable, but coming from a company known for excellent visuals - this is a near embarrasment.

In the past, I've always looked at Blizzard's work and thought, "Wow... i'll NEVER be able to pull something like that off."

With this Ghost trailer - honestly, i'm pretty sure I could.

thorn

zman
05-22-2005, 07:29 PM
The trailer is weak on so many levels... the MP trailer is simply laughable. As someone said earlier, it looks like it was planned for release 4 years ago. If this were some mod community effort or brand-new startup company perhaps it would be understandable, but coming from a company known for excellent visuals - this is a near embarrasment.

In the past, I've always looked at Blizzard's work and thought, "Wow... i'll NEVER be able to pull something like that off."

With this Ghost trailer - honestly, i'm pretty sure I could.

thorn

bah man, my thoughts exactly !
I've allwais concidered myself blizzard's number 1 fan (i evan made my own original starcraft 3d art site back then ! - artofgaming.net/starcraft (http://artofgaming.net/starcraft) )

starcraft ghost looks like a game that might be good in the industry's standards 4 years ago.
i know some might dissagree with me, but WOW looks pretty bad too. i didnt actually play it and i guess the gameplay is fun, but the graphix just look soo old !! if you ask me which unreal engine i would compare it with, it would be unreal engine1 :rolleyes: .

come on guys, we count on you to bring the cutting edge stuff ! make use of some normal maps in your next relese !! plz !

jampoz
05-22-2005, 07:47 PM
I can't stand the lack of polys on WoW, a true turn off to me
But it gots its own style and some would say that's the most important thing...

I can't understand these Ghost trailers here, in-game animation are sucky to me and the details ain't what you'd expect from Blizzard, I keep on seeing bad textures on simple polys

But hey let's wait for a more recent trailer

Geta-Ve
05-22-2005, 08:01 PM
i didnt actually play it

come back and say what you just said after you have played the game

thorn3d
05-22-2005, 08:02 PM
come back and say what you just said after you have played the game

Does playing the game make the graphics look better?

thorn

jampoz
05-22-2005, 08:42 PM
I did play it and my opinions are stated above, I mean it doesn't add much to the genre and I thought Blizzard would accomplish that

It's just a complex Lineage 2

Geta-Ve
05-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Does playing the game make the graphics look better?

thorn

yuppers.. at least for me it did. cuz honestly I was with you man, "low poly, gay gay gay" but honestly you cant truly appreciate the game without playing it, in my opinion. Honestly, for the most part after you start playing it the low polyness doesnt really matter, it sort of just "works" you know. you start to wonder if the game could have been made any other way.

also the game looks pretty bad ass if you have a good gfx card, you know turn everything up to its fullest, there are just some views in the game that are honestly breath taking.. and it helps that the animation in that game is insanely good. there is so much secondary animation it just blows my mind. i mean honestly the npcs actually talk to each other! if you sit there and watch them that is. and you will get the baddies that will inadvertantly hit each other now and then assuming they dont know your watching.

not to say the game goes without fault, because there is alot it can improve on, but you gotta ask yourself how good was any companies first mmo?

but ya.. i cant force anyone to like it obviously, its just i think your prejudging it a bit too much.

plus the good thing with the way they coded ( ? ) WoW is that apparently they can gradually upgrade the graphics of the game. which is pretty nifty.

levin
05-23-2005, 09:44 AM
if they opted for a more realistic highpoly design, it would lose the warcraft look. also i think another reason is that they want to reach towards all kinds of players-- from the casual player to the high-end addicts. even the gameplay is designed so. most other mmorpgs depend so much on grinding to level, blizz gives an alterntive to that and so much more to do. i think the dark realistic look is more suited to games like diablo, if they ever will release a 3d mmorpg on it.

also towns could get really choppy if filled with a lot of players on medium-powered computers. if two hundred players from the other faction raided your main city you would prefer to have a playable framrate than having something that looks cutting edge.

blizzard never used cutting edge tools before. if im correct they used outdated versions of 3dsmax in their previous games at their time, but tell me a game from blizzard that flopped. well let's see how ghost fares...

SpaceTik
05-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Well the main character in my humble opinion has... THE BEST ASS!

.. in game play that is. :)

haha, check it out!

I'm getting this game for sure, they do make great games.. If it sux then well it's a turning point for them.

Viper
05-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Blizzard does make a point of introducing hot female characters ;) Not complaining though..may they introduce even more :D

Tonedef
05-26-2005, 01:31 AM
Ok sorry to bring up a slightly old topic, but I just had to say this.

I just fired up Starcraft and the load screen alone...which didn't even stay long enough to flash the word 'loading'...gave me this feeling in the pit of my stomach, almost like a feeling of complete excitement, butterflies per-se. So then I closed that and fired up WC2...same feeling...WC1 same...WC3, nothing...Diablo, excitement...Diablo 2 nothing...WoW, less than nothing. Honestly, Blizzard has just lost its touch...when I watch the SC:G game play vids I cringe...why!?!? Damn you Blizzard WHY?!!? Any more they are just another EA games...buying companies...making crappy games...not listening to their 'fans'.

Sorry I keep complaining, but I just used to love them so much that it is just frustrating anymore...and where-else to bitch about it than here. All of you that can need to load up all of their old games and then the new ones and see what I am talking about...the music...the sounds...the colors...just everything had a different feel. And for those of you that have the WoW soundtrack and the old WC2 disk...put them in your stereo/media player and listen to them...sure WC2 is obviously midi music...but the sad thing it...it is better, has a better feel...

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Jonnydigitall
05-26-2005, 01:38 AM
So many people are complaining that Blizzard has lost "their touch". Stop lying to yourself. For every one blizzard fan that thinks they suck now, another 10-20 people are buying world of warcraft. Obviosly, they are doing something right, dont you think? The game industry is an INDUSTRY. Also as with any industry, money will ALWAYS be a factor. They are making tons of money, and they are making tons of money because more and more people are becoming blizzard fans with games like wow and warcraft 3. Not once anywhere did I see a review for any of these games that was lower than a 9, or Excellent of some sort. Dont be such a whine baby. The industry has too wide of an audience to cater to the likes of about 100 fans who dont like the companies transition into the next generation of gaming. STOP WHINING, PLEASE!

CGTalk Moderation
05-26-2005, 01:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.