PDA

View Full Version : The PC at E3, woe for the future?

DotPainter
05-19-2005, 11:18 AM
With all of the best in-game graphics being demoed on the consoles, does anyone think that the PC stands a chance as a gaming platform in the future? I just wanted to grab a thread to focus on PC titles at E3, how they compare to the consoles and where the PC goes in the future.....

DevilHacker
05-19-2005, 11:26 AM
RTS will always be better on the PC’s! Enough said… PC gaming will always be here…

As far as graphics, I would not worry too much… The graphics cards in the consoles will be out for computers in a few months, and now that developers are programming multi- processor games (Xbox360), they will possibly will start to do the same for the people who have a dual pro. Workstations…

slaughters
05-19-2005, 11:27 AM
No problem. Just upgrade your graphics card.

Nothing I've seen so far would really be beyond the means of the current top/mid level teir cards.

DotPainter
05-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Yeah, but are the best titles like killzone going to be exclusive for the consoles or available on the PC as well? I think the fact that Unreal Tournament 2007 was showcased on the PS3 means a lot, ie that developers can put the latest and greatest graphics tech into console games, without thinking about the PC as a platform for showing off graphics goodness......

Heck, even the first next gen unreal engine titles will be on the consoles, not the PC. Not to mention that the new consoles will be cheaper to maintain than PCs. 1 console costs the same as a mid-level graphics card for a PC, with up to 3 cpus thrown in along with it (PS3), how can you beat that for price vs performance? And they are small too :)

LW3D
05-19-2005, 11:41 AM
I don't agree with you...When do you expect to use multicore CPU or GPU? We don't see and learn too much for all the game consoles yet.. But I don't think PCs can handle power at a reasonable price.. So I think if you want to play, go for game consoles..

ps.I agree with dotpainter..

JMcWilliams
05-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't agree with you...When do you expect to use multicore CPU or GPU? We don't see and learn too much for all the game consoles yet.. But I don't think PCs can handle power at a reasonable price.. So I think if you want to play, go for game consoles..

I don't really like console games generally. So they won't be getting my money.

Reepoman
05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
With all of the best in-game graphics being demoed on the consoles, does anyone think that the PC stands a chance as a gaming platform in the future? I just wanted to grab a thread to focus on PC titles at E3, how they compare to the consoles and where the PC goes in the future.....

If conslole developers create a more intuative tool for FPS games ie (mouse and keyboard) then I think there will be no need for pc games in the future, bigger screens. Hi-def etc etc. Also connecting to games over networks willl be straight forward with consoles. The PC could always play the 'best games' because the console hardware wasn't up to it, and this is changing now. For the price of the next G-force 7800 card you'll be able to pick up a next gen console and a game.

JoeBananas
05-19-2005, 11:53 AM
pc graphics always look a bit dated when consoles first come out - remember back in the day, when the PS1 arrived, Doom2 was the pinnacle of pc gaming graphics - then the Voodo1 appeared, and PCs took the lead again.

dmonk
05-19-2005, 11:53 AM
I think for the general public,, more people will dish out $300 for a new console instead of $300 to upgrade a video card (when you just got your current one 8 months ago).

I don't think PC games are going anywhere, but I think competiton just got tougher.

I also noticed that the XBox (not sure about PS3) could link up with your pc.

Solothores
05-19-2005, 11:56 AM
So which segment is pushing technological development, pc games or consoles? Why can't you guys just accept that this question simply is not relevant, it has become a symbiosis with benefits for everyone, a long time ago. The essence is they can and will coexist next to each other.

cheers
Solo

Trenox
05-19-2005, 11:57 AM
I think console will take a larger chunk of the mainstream audience than we see today. But PC will still have the upper hand with competitive FPS and RTS, and the interface of the PC offers a much richer potential for deep gameplay.

The scenario we see now is the same as when the previous generation of consoles came out. PC looked slow compared, but were steady taking the lead again in GFX. But the reason i think that consoles will maintain their grip towards large mainstream audience is the fact that we see alot of the biggest PC developers doing titles for consoles now (Epic) and games which ports for both console and PC will almost always be designed in favour of the console interface thus loosing the edge that makes PCgames great (Halo).

edit. The Flux: If conslole developers create a more intuative tool for FPS games ie (mouse and keyboard) then I think there will be no need for pc games in the future

You could get keyboard and mouse for PS2.. thats not really the point. The point is the Default controller. If you know that only 1% of, lets say, the PS3 owners have got a mouse/keyboard interface would you design a game for that? And would you as consumer buy a mouse/keyboard for PS3 only when there are no games supporting it?. Also i think that adding mouse and keyboard takes away what makes consoles great - it just becomes a PC then...

mustique
05-19-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't know if PC games will be replaced by consoles.

But I know that when I got a PS3, I won't need a DVD player for films and a CD player for music and hell! Maybe no internet connection 4 my PC. :D

L.Rawlins
05-19-2005, 01:12 PM
The Microsoft X360 IS a damn PC!

Give it a mouse, a keyboard, a couple of tentative BSOD's and perhaps even Word and... 'tadaa!'

:)

I'm going to laugh my head off when they announce the need for consoles to have AV and Firewall protection. Especially given the X360's interaction with the online PC gaming networks.

Reepoman
05-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I think console will take a larger chunk of the mainstream audience than we see today. But PC will still have the upper hand with competitive FPS and RTS, and the interface of the PC offers a much richer potential for deep gameplay.

The scenario we see now is the same as when the previous generation of consoles came out. PC looked slow compared, but were steady taking the lead again in GFX. But the reason i think that consoles will maintain their grip towards large mainstream audience is the fact that we see alot of the biggest PC developers doing titles for consoles now (Epic) and games which ports for both console and PC will almost always be designed in favour of the console interface thus loosing the edge that makes PCgames great (Halo).

edit. The Flux:

You could get keyboard and mouse for PS2.. thats not really the point. The point is the Default controller. If you know that only 1% of, lets say, the PS3 owners have got a mouse/keyboard interface would you design a game for that? And would you as consumer buy a mouse/keyboard for PS3 only when there are no games supporting it?. Also i think that adding mouse and keyboard takes away what makes consoles great - it just becomes a PC then...

For me, I have never been able to get to grips with two thumbsticks, I'm just not as good on console shooters as I am on PC shooters. If 'they' were to design something that is more intuative for me to play shooters with on a console, then my PC will become defunct for games. That's all i'm tryin to say :thumbsup:

Lordiego01
05-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Every five years we get into the same argument.

The next gen consoles are released, and people start to mope that its going to be the end of the PC as we know it.

And like clockwork, six month to a year after said next gen release, the PC will make a comeback and leave everything in the dust.

Can anybody say... Half Life 3?

Trenox
05-19-2005, 02:04 PM
The Flux: oh we can agree that IF somebody created a controller that would suit the 'console-feel' but still be as precise as PC interfaceequipment AND be the default controller THEN PC would be in trouble ;) but would that be? seems that both MS and Sony has settled for some pretty conventionel controllers (except that they are wireless and if that means ANY delay at all that will suck so hard) :)

Jeff Lew
05-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Battlefield 2 is all you need on the PC!

Jeff

Xevious
05-19-2005, 05:11 PM
You never know. 64bit computers might level the playing field.

richcz3
05-19-2005, 06:25 PM
I've been gaming on PC's since 1989 and the PC has always been a niche market. It's one hell of an expensive hobby to keep up. Always has been, always will be. A rabid PC gamers component upgrade cycle is every 6-10 months. Consoles are really maturing, but they are still hardware locked for 3-4 years until the next uber hardware generation.
--
There is one market trend though. More games will be ported from consoles to PC's than the other way around. :sad:

asimco
05-19-2005, 07:09 PM
its a cycle, just as ps2 and xbox were the greatest hardware available at the time, the pc will catch up and become superior and it will be time to develop another console.

PS: jeff lew your the man, your dvd is amazing! and when is kb3 planned to be finished?

Jeff Lew
05-19-2005, 10:53 PM
PS: jeff lew your the man, your dvd is amazing! and when is kb3 planned to be finished?

Thanks Anthony! When will KB3 be finished? Hmmm, damn. Each week I keep falling behind. It won't be this year, I can tell you that. :sad: But I am working on it fulltime now.

Jeff

Hazdaz
05-19-2005, 11:10 PM
http://www.luds.net/galeries/nelson.gif
HA HA.. all your PC games are belong to us.

Not that I think PC games will EVER completely go away, but with each passing generation there is one less reason to ever play games on a PC. I remember all the aurgument on how consoles are just not powerful enough, and how the resolution is so low, and how they don't have internet gaming, and on, and on and on. Yet with each passing generation, PCs lose one more "exclusive" technolgy that was previously not available to the console world.

To that I say "THANK YOU", cuz I hate even the thought of playing a game in front of my computer, when my big-screen TV (ok, not that big, but eventually it will be) in front of my big comfortable couch is just calling out to me. :twisted:

Zenbu
05-19-2005, 11:19 PM
We're touching on this already in the http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=241323 thread

my big-screen TV (ok, not that big, but eventually it will be) in front of my big comfortable couch is just calling out to me. :twisted:

Nonsense. Hook your computer up to a big screen TV (in front of your couch) and use a wireless interface! Nothing like doing everything on a 61" HDTV. :)

Hazdaz
05-19-2005, 11:31 PM
We're touching on this already in the http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=241323 thread

Nonsense. Hook your computer up to a big screen TV (in front of your couch) and use a wireless interface! Nothing like doing everything on a 61" HDTV. :)

See I used to have my computer set up that way, but when actually working on my PC (the ONLY thing I use it for really) a couch/lounge environment isn't very good for 3D and CAD.

Ofcourse really eventually the convergence of TV and PC and console and every other electronic device will make it so that they are all connected to one huge wall-size TV, but until that happens, a "traditional" office set up it great for doing 3D but sucks for games.

Lunatique
05-20-2005, 06:38 AM
Keep in mind that it's more likely for a household to have a PC than consoles. PC's have become almost a necessity for most people, but consoles are not. So, with a PC already in place (unless it's a slow piece of Sh^t), you simply buy a game and install it, instead of having to buy a whole new gaming machine for it.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2005, 06:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.