PDA

View Full Version : New Gamig Platform Design.

durbdk
05-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Well, we finally have pics of all the new consoles, and from a design standpoint I haev to say X-Box 360 wins out. Here's some pics:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/TECH/fun.games/05/18/e3.console.war/story.vert.xbox.jpg Nice design, wouldn't mind this sitting in my Living room.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/TECH/fun.games/05/18/e3.console.war/vert.playstation3.jpg Not a bad looking console, but it loks like the designer had an aneurysm while designing this thing. Very strange looking, but at least it would look ok in a living room.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/TECH/fun.games/05/18/e3.console.war/vert.nintendo.revolution.jpg All I can say is, "what the hell were they thinkng?". This has to be one of the ugliest consoles I've seen and will never be in my living room. Really rather style-less, they need to kick their design team and slap their VP. This better be an awsome platform, that's all that will save it. My Opinion.

What do all you think about the designs? Which are you gonna get? What woud you do different witht he designs?

Happy Gaming!:D:applause:

source: CNN Online (http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.games/05/18/e3.console.war/index.html)

SheepFactory
05-19-2005, 06:31 AM
to each his own , I think the revolution is the best looking one of the three.

durbdk
05-19-2005, 06:43 AM
Yeah, that's the funny thing with design, it's so subjective. I work in the design/cad field and was curious about cgtalker views. Like you say, "to each his own"

Life would be much less fun if we were all the same!

RocketBoy
05-19-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm not all that fond of the iBox design; it feels like MS's attempt to look hip like mac.

The PS3 console is kind of interesting, but it looks like you could kill a wild dingo with that controller.

As for good old nintendo, eh not all that impressed either. I would like to see what their controller looks like. Though sadly, I do know that once they release a Zelda game on it, it will be in my living room whether or not i have already bought one of the other consoles.

Recursive
05-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Meh, the xbox 1.5 looks like a pc, the ps3 looks like a waffle maker. The revolution(or, what we have seen of it so far) is the only one that looks like a console.

-Vormav-
05-19-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm indifferent to the design of the xbox360. The PS3 is...pretty horrid, really. Though it doesn't look quite as awful from other angles.
And I actually like the look of the revolution, once it is taken off of that retarded stand (which thankfully, from the pics I have seen, seems possible). Who decided that putting it on a stand that put the console at that retarded angle was a good idea anyway?

Byla
05-19-2005, 07:20 AM
revolution looks nice, perhaps playstation looks good in real life, but Xbox is just tacky sad mac wannabe.

vrf
05-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Have to agree that the Nintendo system feels the most sophisticated. Ironic given the purple lunch box of the last round.

I guess the more adult look seems to fit their new target market--casual, grown-up gamers who want something fun, competitive and intuitive, and don't have the time or geekiness to go for the in-depth blood-n-boobs-multiplayer-fragfests that seem to make up a lot of the gaming world these days.

Rick Flowers
05-19-2005, 07:46 AM
I like the revolution once its off the style angle stand. or.. wait.. who knows, in person it might look better.

xbox 360 looks great!

the ps3 controller looks like an adult toy..
and the box itself looks like the side of a leaf gutter or new age designer roof slope. lame. lame.
plus that's good for me, because I've never owned a PS. Now I have more reason not to. ^_^

and of course, my opinion is the best, and the only one that should be taken into consideration. ;)

Pufferfish
05-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Sony and Nintendo definitely looks better to me than xbox. They all look ok though. If I had to choose one based on design I would go for Nintendo.

FlyByNight
05-19-2005, 12:34 PM
ill have to say that honestly i prefer the xbox design the most out of all.... if anyones interested, i studied gcse, and a level art and graphics, and then carried on to study multimedia technologies, and designs at brunel university...

and my background tells me MS wins the bout, even if they did blatantly try to copy theipod style, so WHAT.... it looks nice....

ps3 looks okay, not spectacular, and i also have no preoblem with the nintendo idea... wat is the problem? the blue light looks very nice, and would look beutiful in my room at night time, along with my hifi and dim lighting etc... as for the stand, i am not sure why its necessary, but i dont think looks ugly so again is fine :thumbsup:

PhilOsirus
05-19-2005, 12:58 PM
I like the black PS3 best, even the controller looks beter than toyish Xbox 360, but it remains to be seen if it will be the final design and if it works well enough. Xbox's controller is a lot like the S controller from Xbox 1, which worked very well.

L.Rawlins
05-19-2005, 01:01 PM
I thought the Rev design was ok up until I saw the picture of the controllers and memory cards being plugged into the top. All connections hidden under two liftable enclosures.

This pretty much means that the thing will look funky up until the point you want to use it, because the 'lids' have to stay open for the ports to be accessible.

Thus giving your Rev a rather less appealing, or stylish, cable fed mohawk.

Fan-tastic.

And if its standing up right and I'm cabled into the top, and I get a little excitable during a heated battle amongst friends, *tug*, down crashes the Revolution.

Genious.

Recursive
05-19-2005, 01:15 PM
I thought the Rev design was ok up until I saw the picture of the controllers and memory cards being plugged into the top. All connections hidden under two liftable enclosures.

This pretty much means that the thing will look funky up until the point you want to use it, because the 'lids' have to stay open for the ports to be accessible.

Thus giving your Rev a rather less appealing, or stylish, cable fed mohawk.

Fan-tastic.

And if its standing up right and I'm cabled into the top, and I get a little excitable during a heated battle amongst friends, *tug*, down crashes the Revolution.

Genious.

Solution: Use the wireless controllers, and close the lid after you have inserted your memmory cards.

Damm
05-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I have to say that i like Nintendos design the most. The design on the xbox makes me feel like they tried to design something but failed and with the PS3 they overdid it.

I like it nice and clean. Retro doesn't hurt either and Nintendo got i all.

my 2 cents

rakmaya
05-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Since MS named the console X"BOX", they have to make it "boxish". Since Sony didn't have that concern, they made it look like a grill so parents would use it as well:) Well, for Nintendo, it looks like something build from a sloppy work or something that done on hurry. However, I prefer PS3 style on tv stand and Revolution for programming. XBOX would give the stand a nice techno look as well. I am buying all 3 so no comparing one way or another.

durbdk
05-19-2005, 03:47 PM
I really think it's intertesting to see how different peoples tastes are, and thank God, could you imagine living in a world where we all thought the same thing? Boring! Seeing how I'm a PC gamer and haven't owned a console since the first Nintindo (!), I really don't care who comes out on top, though my money is on MS and Sony fighting it out, and I feel MS will come out on top. Should be a fun competition to watch! :D

novadude
05-19-2005, 04:05 PM
The PS3 looks like a tanning bed, a George Foreman grill, a refrigerator, and the controller, well, its the bananarang.
The Nintendo tried to copy the Mac Mini, but then something went horribly wrong and it sat on that angled stand.
The XBOX 360, well atleast they copied something that looks good.

g8ff
05-19-2005, 04:07 PM
I found the ps3 to be the least desirable of the new consoles based just upon the looks. I really don't care for the controller at all. In my opinion they should have just kept the design of their old dual-shock, which is just a great controller. I like the 360 and Revolution though from a design standpoint, with the exception of the stand. Honestly for me though, and probabyl most, its gonna come down to what the consoles have for content and not so much whether or not its attractive in your entertainment center. But, the thread was whether or not you liked the design, so I'll just keep it there. My nickel.

daedalu$
05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Except for the stand, the Revolution looks great.

I don't know about the xbox360, it's not bad but kinda weird.

I don't like the Playstaion design though...

NanoGator
05-19-2005, 04:21 PM

Agreed. But I gotta give Sony a little credit, their design's pretty tasteful. (except for the boomerang controller)

BigJay
05-19-2005, 04:30 PM
I think I like the xbox, it seems it is the best of the 3. Kinda reminds me of other ipod wannabes but still better than the black chunky thing they had before.

Someone said the PS3 looks like the george foreman grill and now I can't see it any other way,

The Rev jsut looks like a black CD Rom that got pulled out of a computer. I like the blue glow but it is kinda plain. It definitely looks worse with that stand.

In any case I'll just play my PSP until I see who has the games I want to play.

heavyness
05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
i'm not to big on any of them. and personally, looking back at all the old systems, i like the Gamecube the best.

has anyone thought about were these systems have to go? right now, all mine are tucked away in my entertainment system, kinda hard to see with only controller cords hinting to where they are. now, if these things connect to the net wirelessly, will they have to go up on top next to my tv? i'm buying all three and i don't have room and don't want all three in on top out in the open.

thomaspecht
05-19-2005, 04:37 PM
are these final designs? i was under the impression that the sony bumerang controller was not final and i am quite sceptical that what we see in these pictures is nothing more than design studies.

ugly ones, to be honest ;)

wedge
05-19-2005, 07:02 PM
nintendo has the best design, sony 2nd, microsoft 3rd... the xbox is just so.... UGH.

KolbyJukes
05-19-2005, 07:06 PM
xbox looks coolest to me, the other ones kinda look like generic dvd players to me.

Geta-Ve
05-20-2005, 01:04 AM
xbox looks coolest to me, the other ones kinda look like generic dvd players to me.

I've never seen a dvd player that resembles the ps3... (kitchen appliances on the other hand :scream: )

DeathTrip
05-20-2005, 01:50 AM

Agreed. Followed by the Xbox360.

King Kinetix
05-20-2005, 04:54 AM
I personally enjoy tiny details and hidden ports. Much like the PS3 design. It's so uniform, plain, and simple. I like it. The X360 also has a really great design, but everything to me seems oversized. Too much like a child's toy. I say, reduce the size of that big power button and have a slit for the Discs much like the Nintendo sonsole. Nintendo themselves have said that's not the final design. Everyone including me didn't like the design of the initial Nintendo DS, but I loved the final one. And even if it was final, it's still very linear, clean, and effective.

One thing I want to point out also is that design isn't much of a factor in consoles. They are as useless to the games as the system name. I heard people complaining that PS3 has such a generic name and that the XBox is such a clunky name. They have nothing to do with gameplay at all. Lol. Besides, weighing in at 2 tons was the bulky Xbox, but that didn't stop consumers from buying the system and being happy with it. All of the designs are quite sleek and sexy, and I'd be proud to display that anywhere in my house.

Schwinnz
05-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Personally I prefer the Nintendo revolution.

If I had to choose my design, I'd choose a boxy black console that would look just like my amp, dvd player and vcr... I don't understand the fashion of having the consoles standing straight. That big green led on the xbox360 must be quite distractive, blue like on the nintendo is much smoother.

X3N3TIX
05-20-2005, 02:47 PM
the only thing i can think about getting right now is ... PS3!!!, PS3!!!, PS3!!!, PS3!!!, PS3!!!
who know they might make some sort of modification for it to help do rendering on the ps3 to make render times a hellovalot faster :D .

<edit>even though it looks like a stretched egg, but i like the design for the controller UGLY! but good for the wrists if ur a person like me who plays for about 18hours non-stop without blinking and when holding the small dual shock controllers for that long can tend to hurt ur hands i had pain when trying to wright the next day :P .<edit>

DrFx
05-20-2005, 02:54 PM
I like the Nintendo design best, but it's something of a rip-off of the PS2 mkII. My girlfriend has a thing at her place very much like the PS3, but it makes sandwichwes

Hazdaz
05-21-2005, 02:36 AM
From a pure aethetic point of view - not counting the hardware inside, or anything like that - I think the Revolution looks the coolest, followed by the XB360.

The PS3 looks sooo 2000 to me, that same single curved/cylindrical metalic look has been copied on refridgerators to grillin machines to coffee-makers and everything in between. And don't even get me started on that controller. EEK!

The Revolution (if that is what it really looks like) is very simple and elegant, and I like that blue glow from the disc openning. The XB360 is probably the most user-friendly design, since it has that big power button right in the front along with the memory ports - easy access. Then there is the removable HD on top - once again easy access if ya need it.

BUT having said all that, I really don't care what their case looks like - it's what is INSIDE that counts.

DevilHacker
05-21-2005, 03:22 AM
...I say, reduce the size of that big power button and have a slit for the Discs much like the Nintendo sonsole.
Its funny that you mention the DVD slim drive…

As I have heard some other people commenting on it and how its so much better than the other consoles eject-tray drives. But what most people don’t know is that the slim drives are notorious for scratching up the disks that go into them, and also braking down faster than their tray counterparts…

Just wanted to explain the logic that is behind using the tray based drives over the slim drives.

As far as design, I would say that the Xbox360 is in first place.
PS3 is a distance second. (Please Sony get rid of the spiderman2 text…)
And Revolution an far third. The design just does not make sense… What’s the point of it leaning up?

Hazdaz
05-21-2005, 03:29 AM
And Revolution an far third. The design just does not make sense… What’s the point of it leaning up?

For some reason I get this mental image everytime I see the way the Revolution is leaning up:
http://www.naturalvisions.co.uk/pictures/thumbnail/XPET_0022_0001XX.jpg

DevilHacker
05-21-2005, 03:36 AM
For some reason I get this mental image everytime I see the way the Revolution is leaning up:
http://www.naturalvisions.co.uk/pictures/thumbnail/XPET_0022_0001XX.jpg
LOL, thanks!
Now when I see the Revolution, I will think of that dog...
*weep*
...but all kidding aside, funny picture.

NanoGator
05-21-2005, 05:17 AM
hmm. When I first saw the XBOX 360, I thought it was pretty ugly. Then I got my latest issue of Game Informer. They have a really large high res pic there. It actually looks a lot better closer up than the web images imply.

The Revolution's pretty nice. I can't say I was totally awe struck by the pics, but I imagine part of its appeal is in how small it is.

The PS3 looks a lot better than the PS2. Not a bad looking machine, really. I can't say it's terribly exciting, but it works. (I always thought the PS2 was ugly and primitive looking. The slim version, however, is a good deal better looking.)

So far, I think the XBOX 360 is the nicest looking, but honestly, I woud NOT have said that yesterday. Heh. It's funny how a clearer photo can make a difference.

On a side note, I still like the GameCube design. The one I have, though, is black. That made a huge difference.

parallax
05-21-2005, 02:36 PM
"to each his own"

God i hate that crap. I'm one of those folks that thinks style/taste is not subjective(especially in industrial design), but at least dependant on some basic rules.

LIKE BALANCE.

My god, that PS3 looks like a shrink-wrapping machine. Or one of those tins to keep your bread fresh and tasty.

The XBoX is overdesigned. The put too much shit on top of it.

The Revolution is a bad case of "nice try" far too shiny, those angles when it's in the stand don't make any sense.

They all terribly fall short.

Recursive
05-21-2005, 02:42 PM
"to each his own"

God i hate that crap. I'm one of those folks that thinks style/taste is not subjective(especially in industrial design), but at least dependant on some basic rules.

LIKE BALANCE.

My god, that PS3 looks like a shrink-wrapping machine. Or one of those tins to keep your bread fresh and tasty.

The XBoX is overdesigned. The put too much shit on top of it.

The Revolution is a bad case of "nice try" far too shiny, those angles when it's in the stand don't make any sense.

They all terribly fall short.

So if someone likes a design that you think is rule breaking, then they are wrong?

parallax
05-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Most definitely.

Geta-Ve
05-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Most definitely.

That's just plain dumb.. :p There is no set law to art.

So those machines don't look good, why? because you say so? Gimme a break :rolleyes:

PhilOsirus
05-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Facts (mine anyway):

1- The PS2 was ugly, it was boxy and full of hard edges, and it looked like a computer from some sort of evil cyborg race in some 70s sci-fi TV show. The controller was good.
2- The Xbox was huge, heavy, ugly, and boxy as well. The controller's design (not the S one, which rocked), was also crap and too big.
3- The Gamecube looked like a Fisherprice Play-d'oh oven and had the worst controller ever. I never had the possibility until then to get my fingers stuck in a controller!

As for the next-gen consoles:
1- PS3 does look like some sort of scanner, I like the black version but they need to get rid of all hard edges and place the eject button elsewhere from where the CD will eject. The controller, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't even exist;)
2- The Xbox 360 looks nice, it's original and compact. The controller looks like a toy but it will probably be as good as the XBox's S controller.
3- The Revolution.. well that also doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. If that is the console well it looks like a PS2-mini.

Joril
05-21-2005, 05:27 PM
1) Revolution: No useless decorations. Compact. Sober. Clean. Tight. Win.
2) Xbox 360: This is something else all together. It's a pretty bold design. But it has kind of grown on me. One could say it's less "prety" than the ps3, but in that lies it's character. I like it.
3) PS3: looks like it's been done before. It's like a curved evolution from the ps2. But they should have stuck with the straight edges. The curve makes it look old and empty. And I totally dislike the "loading dock" where you feed it the dvds.
Oh, and most disgusting of all, the Spiderman font!! (bolded for emphasis) But I have a strong belief they will change that in the coming year...
And the controller? I really don't know. They could have made the handles a bit shorter, and the analog sticks look like they don't know how to fit in with the controller.

parallax
05-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Joril, totally agree on those points.

euclidius
05-21-2005, 10:15 PM
I believe that design compliments purpose, so I probably think there's a good reason for all the case designs o_o? Ps3 specs says that it gots 2 6800 Ultra GPUs designed into one GPU ( Nvidia's RSX GPU ), I also heard 6800 Ultra's heats up really fast, not to mention the 7x 3.2ghz cell CPUs ps3 has, I'm guessing ps3's convex design is for air space for more ventalation from the inside, probably the ideal design for air circulation ( like a side view of an airplane wing ) I got no idea, it's far too early to judge like what most people have said earlier in this thread.

I'll wait when I get my own ps3 so I can have more of a valid argument next time >:]
kinda funny that ps3 picked a convex design and Xbo360 picked a concave design for a case? don't you think? is this like a rival thing? or are these two companies will shock us that these two systems can be stacked perfectly on top of each other horizotally? jk :B but personally I like the Xbox360 design, I also heard that Xbox's 360 specs are base on G5s? probably why some people got the impression that it sorta looks like a Mac design? but no doubt I am more excited from all the tech demo's I've seened from each company ( specially Killzone for PS3 )
This year will be an interesting year for us gamers! and the future gamers out there. :]

mv
05-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I also prefer the Revolution. Interresting retrofuturistic look.
I like the PS3 also, it sure is "deja-vu" but still kinda flawless in it's style. But I would have expected more from sony, especially concerning the typo.
The XBOX 360 ain't bad, though very hybrid in my sense. You have very sharp angles and then very rounded shapes, that doesn't really go together imho. Still interresting.

All this is very subjective though :D

ashen
05-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Revolution has the sleekest design in my opinion, while XBox 360 looks huge as the first XBox. PS3 is some how cool in its smooth design, but I am not a big fan of the controller design.

Wondering what will the controller of Nintendo Revolution look like...can't wait~!

victor throe
05-22-2005, 09:23 PM
i hope the sony controller design is a joke.

Jeffsimpson
05-22-2005, 10:51 PM
None of the designs really blow my mind, but I don't really have any complaints on them. I don't even mind the PS3 controler...then again I've never held it, but I'm sure Sony won't dissapoint. I like the size of the Nintendo *aparently it's only 4 cd cases tall or something*

ashen
05-24-2005, 03:20 AM
It looks like a lot of the people here leaning more toward the Nintendo's design.
Clean, sleek, and tiny compared to the rest...it's 3DVD case thick.

Hazdaz
05-24-2005, 09:37 PM
It looks like a lot of the people here leaning more toward the Nintendo's design.

I think your right, but just cuz the Rev might have the nicest looking exterior design, doesn't mean squat as to which system people will actually buy for gaming. I would guess that console asthetics are very low on true gamers list of 'must haves'.

splintah
05-24-2005, 11:01 PM
ps3 ugly
xbox ok
revolution nice (especially if you can take it off the weired stand)

pearson
05-25-2005, 04:41 AM
I think the Xbox has some exciting possiblities with the detachable face plate...that way I can take it off and paint it or decorate it however I like. The shape is ok, although a little too iPod-ish...

PS3 looks good from some angles, but the base of it looks just like a PS2 with a curved part welded on. :sad: The spiderman2 font is very distracting, and the contoller looks very uncomfortable.

The revolution has a sleek sex appeal that draws me in. Plus the promise of downloadable legacy games...this is the console I'm most likely to buy first. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2005, 04:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.