PDA

View Full Version : Workstation Graphics cards, Maya and Games

bohmanart
05-19-2005, 03:09 AM
Hi all,
I was just wondering if there is a good workstation card that works well with Maya and also can be used to play video games. I have always heard that the Quadro series cards don't function well with games. Is this true?

ambient-whisper
05-19-2005, 04:29 AM
forget quadro. its a waste of money imo.
the things you get with a quadro isnt worth the price jump. plus im moving this toward the hardware section.

maninflash
05-19-2005, 05:02 AM
I've been working with Maya on a box with Quadro FX 1100 for a year now and not a single issue, UI fps drops down badly when working with models with more than 160,000 polys, no problem with NURBS or SubD's. Haven't tried it with games, althogh Half Life 2 runs fine on my home system with an old quadro fx 500.

Lorecanth
05-19-2005, 05:55 AM
forget quadro. its a waste of money imo.
the things you get with a quadro isnt worth the price jump. plus im moving this toward the hardware section.

Have a quadro 3400, havn't had maya crash in almost a year (mental ray yes maya no). Some of the other cooler features are 16x AA (makes a difference in client meetings for animation review), and integration and presets for compositing programs. It also rather speeds up AE's opengl preview. Again comes down to the age old discussion of money or artist time. In anycase running Farcry just fine here.

ambient-whisper
05-19-2005, 09:16 AM
all nvidia cards are stable as heck ( as long as your using qualified drivers. ). if you get a crash then its usually with some other issue, like your history being too long and you make a major edit near the beginning of the history. or some other hardware piece conflicting.
depending on which resolution you are running, anti aliasing is not always wanted, and can slow things down considerably if you use much higher resolutions. infact, in a number of applications the anti aliasing algorythms break selection systems, such as the ray select and XSI.

( man your clients must be really picky if they require that you use 16x aa, haha )

most maya guys that i talk to say that a quadro only helps them with one thing. the red line, which is rendered grey in a non quadro card. does that really justify spending an extra 1000?

i guess it really depends what kind of work you do :). id rather have more ram, or spend it elsewhere. i was personally very dissapointed with using a quadro fx 3000 card. it didnt run too much faster than what i got at home. ( i spent approx 300 canadian on mine, versus the quadro costing 1600 usd at the time i bought my card ) applications crashed every now and then( but that was due to other problems ). funny thing is, a few months later a friend got a new ati card and in all opengl tests we ran back at work, it kicked the quadros butt. so that extra cash that our employer spent went down the drain really.

mlmiller1983
05-19-2005, 11:55 AM
I tried being cheap and used Maya on a GeForce 6800 GT and had nothing but problems. Maya would either crash or experience refresh problems. That all stopped after I got a Quadro FX 1100($300 on ebay) and Maya worked like a charm though I am kind of limited to how many polygons I can use. Lightwave 3D on the other hands works like a charm on my geforce 6800 GT which is to be expected.

mlmiller1983
05-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Hi all,
I was just wondering if there is a good workstation card that works well with Maya and also can be used to play video games. I have always heard that the Quadro series cards don't function well with games. Is this true?

It varies from model. I have never tried playing games on a quadro fx 1100 card. Thats why I have my GeForce 6800 GT which has 3 times the bandwith(32GB/s to 10.4GB/s) and twice the ram than the quadro fx 1100.

bohmanart
05-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Thankyou all for your comments. You have been very helpful. I guess all in all it comes down to finding the right card for your system. Many different factors go into whether or not an application or game works well with any graphics card. I don't really know what I am talking about, this is just what I get out of all this.

Well, take care everyone.

gnz
05-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Ive got a geforce 6800 Gt which can be softmodded into a Quadro FX 4000 using rivatuner nvstrap driver. While in quadro mode I am able to use 16x anti aliasing in Rhino and XSI which has worked almost flawlesly (some glitches in rhino), I revert it to Geforce 6800 (restart required) to play games. Its nice to have the best of both worlds.
Now, Ive read that most recent geforces have been modified to block this hack from working so it is necessary to do some research before buying.

hope that helps

bohmanart
05-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Gnz: How easy is it to softmod a card. I find this really interesting becuase 1: It would be less expensive and 2: I to would like the best of both worlds.

gnz
05-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Gnz: How easy is it to softmod a card. I find this really interesting becuase 1: It would be less expensive and 2: I to would like the best of both worlds.It is really easy if you manage to get hold of a moddable geforce 6800, just a matter of selecting "quadro" from a drop down select and restarting. Ive read the moddable ones are the first generation of AGP Geforce 6800 GTs (the one I have).

This is the cgtalk thread where I first found out about this
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=191214

Here is another useful thread on the rivatuner official english site:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=122413

the rivatuner forum at guru3d has various posts about the subject.

hope that helps

Arlekin
06-17-2005, 10:23 AM
so fx quadro 1000-1100 would be sufficent for animation and modeling usin ca 200k poly models?
im currently running maya 6.5 on a r9600 pro and it freezes and crashes sometimes (actually its like 3 times per day)

i would like to have something that woldnt crash me down my other specs are 3ghz ht 1gb corsair ddr 500, abit ic7 .....and so forth

im planning to go with Nvidia Quadro FX 3000 256MB AGP (should last a bit???)

SirNeo
06-17-2005, 01:44 PM
i prefer MATROX. forget quadro.

ambient-whisper
06-17-2005, 10:52 PM
im planning to go with Nvidia Quadro FX 3000 256MB AGP (should last a bit???)

unless you can get a quadro fx3000 for about 600 bucks, dont bother. i used one and was hoping it would be blazing fast, but in the end it wasnt that much faster or better or even immune to any of the problems than the highend geforce cards. applications arent more stable with them either. when your application crashes nowadays, 99% of the time itll be because of the applications fault or a defect in your scenes ( like history on your model conflicting with data upstream ) dont expect extra stability because of a quadro.

infact id wait till the new geforce cards are out :) or just get the highend geforce today.
thats just a personal recommendation.

i know a few people who swapped their quadro for geforce cards that are just one generation newer because they were faster. problem with todays quadros is that they cost almost 2x what a geforce would go for ( if not more for higher models ). for that price you can uprade more often to newer quadros if you feel like it.

emagery
06-17-2005, 11:04 PM
i prefer MATROX. forget quadro.

Same here... I was really upset when I goofed on my new dell purchase to discover AFTER the fact what PCI Express was... and dang it, my Parhelia is AGP! *sob*

I sure hope Matrox takes on the PCI Express challenge soon, since I feel ... I dunno... compressed (?) being down to only 2 monitors.

Wince!

bohmanart
06-18-2005, 05:20 AM
ambient-wisper:

I think I will take your advice and stick with a GeForce series card. After all Quadro series cards are so ridiculous in price I dought I could ever afford to buy one anyway.

I am curious to hear what your thoughts are about ATI's Fire GL series. I've read that the 7100 card is faster than any of the Quadro's. How does this card stack up to the top of the line GeForce card?

Arlekin
06-18-2005, 01:11 PM
now im confused.... in general im bretty knowing in hardware matters but in highend 3d hardware, thinking abut hardware from this angle.....so as i understood quadros is just not worth the price (and highend geforce can handle polycounts and viewports even in big scenes? what about highend radeons??)

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2005, 01:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.