PDA

View Full Version : 3d shorts with 2d techniques

faridz7
05-19-2005, 01:22 AM
hey guys. I'm always interested in watching 3d short films which incorporate 2d techniques in it..such as in the backgrounds and textures etc. Like that short on cgtalk's front page Krapooyo. I intend to do something of this sort for my final year student film..merging 3d and 2d illustration techniques since i come from a 2d animation background. The textures in shorts like Krapooyo seems to be painted on, using programs like photoshop/painter and what not...im not too sure though, im just guessing. The backgrounds im also guessing are obviously drawn/coloured in photoshop and stuff. Question i would like to ask you guys and girls out there is...how do i go bout this? are the textures painted in photoshop and applied to the model as usual or..is there any other special way...done in compositing softwares and stuff. hope what i just said/asked made sense.

-faridz-

Lunatique
05-19-2005, 05:34 AM
Camera mapping is one way, but if the camera movement is dramatic, then you'll have to just map them as you would normal textures.

paperclip
05-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Something you do is render the entire thing in planes, with each plane having a photo on it. Then you take each photo into photoshop and up the contrast so that the things you want to appear are entirely white and the areas you don't want to see are black -->use this as an opacity map, and you have something that looks like a photo cutout that you can manipulate/animate...

Hope this helps! I'm sure you probably already knew about this though..just an idea...

faridz7
05-19-2005, 10:04 AM
i did know that paperclip but still, thanks for your time and effort in replying to my post. i could definately use all the help/suggestions i can get and i appreciate it loads. cheers for that :thumbsup:

paperclip
05-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Let us know what you decide on doing. I also like that style and I'd be interested in seeing all the different ways people approach doing such a thing.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2005, 10:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.