PDA

View Full Version : Genius... what does it mean?

John Keates
05-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Its funny, I often think that the word genius is silly. What does it really mean? I sometimes think that it is just a way to sell stuff.

But then again, sometimes I experience something that someone has done and I think "Genius!".

One example is the painter Inka Essenhigh. I think she is just about the best painter that there is. She is fantastically creative. Here is her Website (http://www.inka-essenhigh.com/images/index.html)

The thing is, there are probably people who just don't get her work, so maybe it is subjective.

Is it a word that we should bother using at all?

stepington
05-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Hmmm,
I wish I could give a good answer - but i use it in a wide range of inconsistencies, too.
It's kind of like the word funny.

"That's funny."
"I feel funny."
"You smell funny."

by the way - I personally don't feel you smell funny at all.

Gord-MacDonald
05-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Paul Klee said that "genius is the exception to the rule".

I think geniuses find their own paths. These paths are usually visionary - paths unseen to the rest of us - until they are illuminated by power of genius.

Gord

Lunatique
05-19-2005, 06:45 AM
There's a quote that goes something like,

"Talent is finding it easy while others find it hard. Genius is finding it easy while the talented find it hard."

ashakarc
05-19-2005, 07:18 AM
We are not linguists to redefine the word 'genius'. m-w lists the word as:b : extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity c : a person endowed with transcendent mental superiority; especially : a person with a very high intelligence quotient

However, if the question is about the meaning of the artistry genius, I think we have a discussion. In this regard, I don't see it as a vague notion. The work speaks of itself. No one would want to make a fool of himself to deny the genius of Darwin, Da Vinci, Freud, Einstein, Sheakspeare, Marx, Nietzsche, Beethoven, Le Corbusier, Rumi, Newton, Hammurabi, etc..

What is common among those is that their work became part of human most grandiose achievements.

jmBoekestein
05-19-2005, 04:24 PM
What is common among those is that their work became part of human most grandiose achievements.

My take on this :wise:: The word genious is derived from genus, a latin word meaning species. If someone has such a profound understanding of the human existentially, his works live on throughout generations in one way or the other, they are "transcendental" and timeless and so on. I think then genious is a profound philosophical understanding for your peers , your fellow creatures and nature. :D, allthough I think in this context not purely empathic but on an intellectual level, so much as bordering on completely intuitive understanding. But probably most geniuses would have preached peace, since they would have had to love their environment to study it or take time for it.

But I dno't understand the question posed in this threda completely I think. Are you commenting on the works by that painter or the word genius?

voodoofactory
05-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Genius is just a word. When you ask people who is the greatest genius that ever lived, they will mostly likely answer you: Albert Einstein. But in reality Einstein was autistic. He wasn't very good at school, but had great interest in mathematics and physhics. His autistic brain gave him an insane amount of concentration and his job as a patent office clerk gave him a lot of free time on his hands. It's a combination of these and other factors that lead him to develop his theories. But no disrespect to Einstein. There's no denying the brilliance of his theories. But he was just the first one to come to this conclusion. There were loads of other physicsists working in this field at the time. And we don't even know for sure if his theories are correct.

So I say 'genius' is just a word to compliment or express admirance for someone. There are no real rules about who can be called a genius. There's not a minimum IQ for a genius.

One thing I do notice about people who are generally referred to as 'genius', is that they're all trying to discover why things are the way they are. But I guess we all do that at some level.

cha0t1c1
05-19-2005, 04:39 PM
I might be wrong, but I think that the question was whether an artist can be called a genius or not. I f so, then yes. An example is Michaelangelo, he has painted his first painting as the sestine chapel(my brother told, it might be untrue); also, his first popular sculpture was the Pieta, which was finished when he just came into his twenties...

A genius artist is an artist who's capable to adapt to any medium, due to the conception that he/she express or translate into the medium flawlessly(a comprehensible vision, with the same quality as the pother medium). and for a kicker, they can translate into the different medium without experience...

cha0t1c1
05-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Genius is just a word. When you ask people who is the greatest genius that ever lived, they will mostly likely answer you: Albert Einstein. But in reality Einstein was autistic. He wasn't very good at school, but had great interest in mathematics and physhics. His autistic brain gave him an insane amount of concentration and his job as a patent office clerk gave him a lot of free time on his hands. It's a combination of these and other factors that lead him to develop his theories. But no disrespect to Einstein. There's no denying the brilliance of his theories. But he was just the first one to come to this conclusion. There were loads of other physicsists working in this field at the time. And we don't even know for sure if his theories are correct.

So I say 'genius' is just a word to compliment or express admirance for someone. There are no real rules about who can be called a genius. There's not a minimum IQ for a genius.

One thing I do notice about people who are generally referred to as 'genius', is that they're all trying to discover why things are the way they are. But I guess we all do that at some level.

I disagree with the first 75% of ur comment. due to the fact that Einstein was a genius regardless of what his mind allowed him to do. It's what he did to the society of physics and mathematics that is genius...

his capability to calculate, translate, and communicate the ideas he had was pure genius.

crutch
05-19-2005, 04:48 PM
In reference to IQ there is an excellent book titled: 'The Mismeasure of Man' by Stephen J. Gould. It is an excellent book well worth the read.

RichSuchy
05-19-2005, 04:49 PM
By definition...

gen·ius
n.
1. a. Anyone capable of doing work significantly better than what I can do.
b. The work that is significantly better than what I can do.

:)

jmBoekestein
05-19-2005, 04:57 PM
By definition...

gen·ius
n.
1. a. Anyone capable of doing work significantly better than what I can do.
b. The work that is significantly better than what I can do.

:)

c. work of any such complexity that it's incomprehensible to any individual, or for lack of words ;) open to interpretation by anyone.

This could be a funny list I tell you...

Oohw, another one

1. d. An abstract term for the manifestation of an arbitrary number of genetic disorders resulting in abnormal behavior. :D

stepington
05-19-2005, 05:11 PM
The other day my partner and I came in from the rain. Upon entering the house she said - is there any coffee made?
I then thought to myself:

"She's a genius."

kemijo
05-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I think genius is a title bestowed upon someone by others...when someone is so far ahead of the curve in something, others call them a genius. This also means that it's all relative (to misquote a genius). But obviously there are a few that are undisputed by most anyone.

I like the Arthur Schopenhauer quote best:

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."

odinseye2k
05-19-2005, 06:17 PM
Genius is one of those things that only history can convey.

I would argue that true works of genius are those that become the foundations for inspiration for generations to come. E.g., Darwin's theory of evolution allowed people to understand life, behavior, and nature in a whole new way. Leonardo et. al developed art based on anatomical study.

Another aspect of genius that happens fairly often is that their work seems obvious once established, but took a lot of grueling work to make it come from nowhere.

paperclip
05-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Just wanted to point out that the sistine chapel wasn't Michelangelo's first painting- he completed a few paintings before that, including the Battle of Cascina (large, monotone fresco), the Doni Tondo and the Madonna and Child with the Infant Baptist.

He was also famous for making numerous studies, many of which he burned. I really do not believe in genius on its own, you could be extremely talented or intelligent, but if you do not put the work in, you will never attain the heights of genius. It is a neat blend of all three- intelligence, talent and perseverance.
Geniuses also have a habit of ignoring other people's comments about them. I believe I read somewhere that an extremely high percentage of geniuses have Asperger's Syndrome, a particular form of autism. This causes the person to have rather antisocial tendencies, to not quite understand human relationships, etc, but also have incredible focus and learning capabilities.
At the end of the day, you're better off practicing your work than sitting around wondering what makes a genius. :D

ashakarc
05-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Back to work, I think Diego Maradona is an artist in soccer, a genius artist. :D now where is my wireless mouse....

StealthPharaoh
05-20-2005, 08:22 PM
a genius is a genius..lol
i think a genius is someone who can create something out of this world..something very new and unique..

ozhaver
05-20-2005, 10:57 PM
paperclip: do you mean antisocial or asocial?

Empath
05-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Genius is a termed used by those who aspire to mediocrity.

Squibbit
05-20-2005, 11:26 PM
I am a genius!

jmBoekestein
05-21-2005, 01:31 AM
I'm slightly off...:surprised...uhmm...topic?

paperclip
05-21-2005, 01:51 AM
Oz: The correct term IS asocial. Apologies to anyone who may have been offended. Being asocial is a milder form of being antisocial.

Thank you for pointing this out.:thumbsup:

Kanga
05-23-2005, 01:42 AM
The power to tap into the central nerve of understanding and to make a profound differance to existance.

Something to strive for?,...... absolutely!

Sil 369
05-23-2005, 02:46 AM
I recently wrote a paper on the artist genius, giving my take of it. I found Michael J. A. Howe's "Genius Explained" to be a very good book on the topic. I recommend you all read it. :) He takes a postmodern approach to the genius, looking at the myth and then taking it apart. He interprets it as a construct. They're people defined by their contempories.

My take on it - ...

Edit (July 20 '05): I've decided to remove most of the post, as it consisted mainly of ideas I wrote for the assignment. :shrug:

_slvl
05-24-2005, 08:33 PM
two nice quotes about geniality: (I don't know where I got them from)

"There's a fine line between genius and madness"

"Everybody is a genius, until they open their mouth..."

(I find them very true)

ashakarc
05-24-2005, 09:26 PM
"Everybody is a genius, until they open their mouth..."

Does typing count? ;)

_slvl
05-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Whatever floats your boat. ;)

DogmaD
05-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Hmmm, hard to describe a genius. To me it is someone who has fully devoted him or herself to a subject of interest and breaks the established rules, improving the genre in a way not anticipated by anyone. But hey, that is just how i look at it. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2005, 12:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.