PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: creating good linework on the computer

frog
05-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone,

been meaning to do this for a while, it's a round-up of the different approaches to creating good-looking lines digitally. Anyone who's ever tried to do this in Photoshop knows this isn't as easy as it might seem, especially compared to good old pen-and-ink.

The tutorial can be found here:

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/lines.htm

And this is an example of the kind of line work I am talking about:

http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/lines/pirate-lines.jpg

Hope it's useful to some of you.

Ordibble-Plop
05-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up - looks most useful :thumbsup:

jmBoekestein
05-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Should be interesting...thx for putting that up. If you want my advice I'd go for a 2B pencil in painter, work at a huge resolution and use size linked to pressure. Background white for general purposes. But you ca't go sketchy then, but it's far more organic than normal hard edges, more interesting I think.

Thanks again though, ;) and for te light tutorials, I dl'ed them and saved them all. Eagerly awaiting more chapters :D.

Gord-MacDonald
05-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Should be interesting...thx for putting that up. If you want my advice I'd go for a 2B pencil in painter, work at a huge resolution and use size linked to pressure. Background white for general purposes. But you ca't go sketchy then, but it's far more organic than normal hard edges, more interesting I think.

Thanks again though, ;) and for te light tutorials, I dl'ed them and saved them all. Eagerly awaiting more chapters :D.

I find that its useful to set a white background (fill) on a layer below your drawing layer, and keep the background of the drawing layer transparent

Gord

jmBoekestein
05-19-2005, 09:37 PM
true, serves the same purpose.. I usually find I want to blend some things later on, so I don't bother with setting that up. Just us blending modes.

Totoro
05-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanx for the tips! Been looking for something like this. I always had difficulty do good line work on the computer.

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2005, 08:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.