PDA

View Full Version : Fxwars! Carcrash! : Jignesh Jariwala(Hybrid entry)

jigu
05-18-2005, 07:30 AM
hello guys,

this is gonna be my second entry in fxwars!! i have some crazy idea i m gonna used for this one challange. my entry is gonna be little realistic and fantasy.i m gonna make entry based on " matrix reloaded" truck crash.

i have made set in max.coz i don't have camera to make live action.

also as u see in my set that sky is weathered so i m gonna add rain to my car crash scene. it will make it more cool.:)
here is the set screenshot.still it is in WIP.street light will be added later.

jigu
05-18-2005, 07:31 AM
one more screenshot.

jigu
05-18-2005, 08:10 AM
i added the ligths to the scene. now take a look at it.

jigu
05-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Added some rain!!

Roux
05-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Looks like your off to an excellent start. My only comments would be that the lane markings in your texture seem too narrow for your vehicles. Apart from that , the set looks very nice.

neofg
05-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Wow! That's a nice set! How u make rain?

Now the difficult part is the impact... he he!

Nice art!

[TOY]Snoop
05-19-2005, 04:31 PM
Yeah, tis a good start so far.
Now go and smash those Audis into 1000 pieces :)

Greets

jigu
05-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Thank you all u guys!!!

here i did test with rain!!
just check out and tell me what do u think i will post more rain test!!!

neofg : rain is done using particleflow in max 7 and there r lots of particles around 200000 more than particle i can use but my pc can't rendered those much particles with low ram.

here is the download link

: link (http://dl2.rapidshare.de/files/1874418/19965929/firstshot_logo.mov)

denil
05-23-2005, 05:27 AM
good start. make sure u get the realism effect rite. all the best

jigu
05-23-2005, 06:24 AM
thanks devil!! i m gonna try my best to get the realism effect!!

BTW, guys here is rain test i did.
there r too much particles aroun 200000 . my system can't handle more than much particles!!

size:3.52 mb:::-
http://jigu.actkid.com/second%20shot.mov (http://jigu.actkid.com/second%20shot.mov)

neofg
05-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Nice ambient. Just the rain look unreal, there's no impact with the street. But nice start idea....
Let us news...

jigu
05-26-2005, 03:07 AM
Nice ambient. Just the rain look unreal, there's no impact with the street. But nice start idea....
Let us news...

Thanks for quick reply!!
well about the rain, if u carefully see u can see that rain drop's impact take place with road.i used only one simple deflector on road for collision.i know it's not good idead.i can show collision with car and walls also.but after collision there supposed to be spawn more particles from one drop.i kept 2 particles to be spawn after one particle's collision.well as i said 200000 particles drives the rain system,and they collides with road and spawned 400,000 particles.i can show many particles and collision with particular object but my rendering time goes very high.

but as u said rain looks unreal.plz tell me from which angle u can find it unreal.i must work on it.
and i will show all collision if guys feel its unreal then i don't care about rendering time.

BTW, in my next update i drive camera in slow motion and given frozen time effect.so at the last of clip u can see the collision of raindrops with road.

still in WIP.

thank you guys waiting for ur feedback on next update.

jigu.

jigu
05-26-2005, 04:09 AM
http://jigu.actkid.com/first%20shot.mov

neofg
05-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Wow! Now it's very cool! How u stop the time in the animation?
About the rain... I look better... Now, the problem that make it unreal, I think, when u look from near, are: When rain drops collide the street, the street appear dry. I look that when drops collide the terrain, they bounce , like transparents rubber-ball. In fact I can see an often layer of rain in the final piece of shot, for 30-40cm over the street. In the real world rain collide the terrain and add a water layer (and so reflective) to the terrain. And drops are a little big?
http://www.sff.org/awards/images/imgawards.jpg http://www.diversionary.net/daily/images/temp/rain_street.jpg
Now, that's an observation, but the work is better than wonderful. The idea is great! And the street shader look real(How u make the curve texture?).
I attend news. Good art man!

jigu
05-26-2005, 09:48 AM
hi neofg,,,,,i m still working on rain system.well u r right that street(road ) looks dry after collision.i have got the idea.i think i can use shape mark operator and fresnel reflection material possibly can give the effect like that.now i have to render everything at whole night.coz may be it will take 12 hours:sad:

edit: I forget that road texture is taken from google search.i applied UVW map modifier to every object of street before "bend" modifier.so raod texture get aligned with bending.:)

neofg
05-27-2005, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I make this observation, but if I must to make rain I don't know where starting...
(If u must render the car's collision u Can stop the rain for a bit, so it never take u hour of render...Yeah, I made a stupid comment...:rolleyes: ) Thanks very much 4 the texture's suggestion. I never try google with road word, and I find what I need... Wonderful! I attend your update...
Ah, I find a good way to simulate rain...
http://www.psychoform.com/htmlgallery/matrix10.jpg
hi hi...
GOOD ART MAN...

jigu
05-27-2005, 07:39 AM
hi neo........well about the rain..i changed a little much in rain system.i also applied wet material to road.so road looks already wet.and it doesn;t need to be wet by rain.becoz of road is wet!!

what do u think about this? i have render some stuff.i will post some update soon.
also i have changed car colors. i think red color is not much good for my second car.
also i changed first car color to dark blue.and red car color to black.
well thanks to stay in touch.

stay in touch.
well i look that photo and raindrops looks cool in slow motion.that's why i take the idea to put the rain.:)

EDIT : well neo i like ur suggestion to stop the rain rather than stopping time in max.but i don't think it will make any different in rendering time.anyway i will go that way first to save my rendering time.

thanks man,
jigu.l

jigu
05-27-2005, 07:54 AM
update!!

i changed car color to dark blue.also i added collision between rain and car body.and made the road wet.

http://jigu.actkid.com/firstshot_new.mov

comments r welcome.

neofg
05-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Wow! No words...It's wonderful...
Perfect...
Ah, one thing...A bit of irregularity in the road's water. In the reality road is more wet in the border than in the center(because it's inclinated), but it's not so in all cases, here rain is so much that all street can be wet...There's something irregular in effect, it's not so visible, but there is.
Result is spectacular... Wonderful rain...Go on so...
PS.Is it 3DS max?

jigu
05-27-2005, 10:33 AM
PS.Is it 3DS max?

yes it is done in 3ds max 7.and rain done with particle flow.

BTW,what do ppl mean by short form word "PS"?

sorry for my bad english.

stay tuned.
jiigu.

jigu
05-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Little Update!!
http://jigu.actkid.com/second%20shot%20new.mov

neofg
05-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Perfect! Now it's a lot more realistic! Good work!
He He, Now the impact of the 2 cars...
Just for information... What kind and how many emitter u used in this scene for the rain?
(I work in Maya, but I think that the rules are the same...)
About PS...It's POST SCRIPTUM: U use it when u miss something and you say it in the end...
4 the english don't worry...I'm italian...:thumbsup:

jigu
05-27-2005, 01:05 PM
Perfect! Now it's a lot more realistic! Good work!
He He, Now the impact of the 2 cars...
:thumbsup:

lol!! i m also waiting for it!!!

jigu
05-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Just for information... What kind and how many emitter u used in this scene for the rain?
(I work in Maya, but I think that the rules are the same...)

well i made some plane(which is "none rendereable") to generate the rain!! 3ds max has particle flow tools which has position object operator in which u can use objects as particle emitters!!
i hope this help!!

there r around 4 or 5 plane covering both of roads!!

neofg
05-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah, It's the same in Maya...
Thank u! Make me know news about the crash...
Good weekend!

jigu
05-27-2005, 02:53 PM
BTW,

i have just downloaded matrix revolution trailer.i looked at that fight scene in the rain.
i m gonna do some camera work on different angle to show the rain more effective!!

loocas
05-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Man... this is looking real sweet... :thumbsup: Will be watching this one closely... :D

jigu
05-31-2005, 04:43 AM
thanks loocas.stay tuned.:)

here is the update to my second car's shot(frozen time effect shot)
i added collision between rain and car and also changed car color to make effective.also u can see that now wheel rotates in right direction.(forward direction).whereas in previous animation i did mistake with wheel rotation.also u can see that when rain collides with the road.it doesn't bounce at very much height.

now let me know ur feedback guys.:)

download : http://jigu.actkid.com/output1firstshot.mov

neofg
05-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Nice work man! Now rain is perfect...
I attend the impact...:banghead:
Ah, one thing again... Car animation is strange, like if it slip on water(in effect...)
And If I was u I deatail better the wall of highway... Simply with a texture or a bump...
Ok, don't hear me...Impact cars freely...:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
New color is best

michaeljr
05-31-2005, 07:49 AM
FYI just a heads up on a little detail, the left rear tire is off it's rim

rain is looking very nice, but when the camera tracks and pans, the rain in the background becomes dark, I'm assuming this is from the type of motion blur used and it's rubbing out the rain.

4saken
05-31-2005, 02:07 PM
this is looking very good so far. just a few things are bothering me.
I would tune the motion of the car a little bit. it kind of feels like it's driving on rails. add some sliding or something like that.
and one other important thing is missing. spray from the tires. some really detailed splashes right at the wheel and some more indirect fog behind the car.

other than that, this is looking really cool. keep on going. I'm looking forward to the crash.

greets
4saken

denil
05-31-2005, 03:12 PM
good work so far. there are some areas you have to improve on like the movement of the car. when its turnig at high speeds it tends to tilt a bit. also the rain drops are not completely spherical. they have a more oval shape with a tip kind of thing. basically don't forget the gravity issue. can't wait to see more. you're doing gr8

jigu
06-01-2005, 02:41 AM
thanks guys!!!

devil : those raindrops arn;t high poly spherical. i know i can use high poly sphere as in "shape instance" operator to show proper spherical raindrops!! but if i use high poly spheres instead of this 6 sided low poly default sphere shape. my system will get hang out.i mean my sytem take 2 days to render whole scene with around 200000 raindrops particles!! well i think this shape is working right.becoz of u see only those sphere which is near to camera and u can see it as lowpoly!! but nevermind!!

4saken : i like ur idea to add spray coming out from tire. i m gonna add it.if my system won't take much time to render.

guys i have done some camera works !!! i found that when car gets collides i will filmed it from top!! so it will look effective with top camera.(also rain makes scene more effective)

anyway i m facing problem with my system!! i have amd athlone 64 bit processor on asus a8n sli deluxe motherboard.and graphic cards is xfx(with nvidia chipset) 6600 gt pci-e.

problem comes with motherboard.i have found some issues in chip fan of motherboard.and chip fan is making noise and sometimes it won't work.so after i got my fan or any good heatsink my system works properly untile than i will make some ideas for final post production!!

also car crash will be my next update!! so stay tuned!!

anyway anyone plz suggest me good music that i can add to my final animation!!

EDIT : guys i also tought to assign blobmesh object to rain particle system!! so particle system can behave like perfect fluid system!! but it will take a 20 mins to render 1 frame!!:sad: :rolleyes:

cheers guys!!
and thanks for ur support!!
jigu.

neofg
06-01-2005, 07:33 AM
I'm rocked!

I attend your impact....

http://www.mustangdecals.com/images/Fun%20Things/Movie%20Autos/Matrix%20Reloaded/FT-Moto-Matrix2-flip.jpg

What music u Can insert? I think u Can simply copy the one in the "Reloaded" impact of the tirs... hi hi
Something tecno-filmic underground...

jigu
06-01-2005, 09:35 AM
hehe neo!! i m also thinking to add matrix music!!

anyway here is what i found after doing some camera works!!

look at the image and tell what do u think guys about this top camera?

neofg
06-01-2005, 10:01 AM
WOW is the only thing I Can say... I Can't wait for the movie and the impact...:banghead:

EDIT:
Yeah buddy, I use msn abitually, but I have yahoo too...

jigu
06-01-2005, 10:07 AM
hi neo how r u mate!!!

i m also waiting for my crash. i need patience.
BTW, do u use yahoo messenger? it will be gr8 to live chat with u!!

currently i m working on car wheel splashes particles!!
so i added more particles!! and yes gr8 thing is that my system problem is solved with my brother!!

anyway my yahoo id is the_jigu. add me in ur yahoo messenger list!!
and email is the_jigu@yahoo.com

jigu.

jigu
06-02-2005, 10:47 AM
i don't think i have to add splashes coming out from the tire.becoz of road isn't much wet.road is very flat that's why car drives smoothly.also there isn't much water on road.so there suppose to be not any splashes produce by tires.that's why i m not gonna put it in my video.
now i m gonna work crash. and i promised u guys it will be come in 2 or 3 weeks.so i must have patience to do that.coz i m gonna use morphing technic to done the crash.

so c ya soon guys with updates!!!

jigu
06-04-2005, 06:50 AM
okei...guys i have done my fantasy and realistic(hybrid) car crash.it is still not rendered yet.but i have got exactlly result like in the film.i mean when car crashed the shockwaves go through the body of car.also i have some post production idea. i mean my car crash will be the little short story.
until than c ya guys!!

i will post car crash soon after it is rendered.

jigu
06-05-2005, 01:58 PM
okei guys after 20 hours of rendering i m able to render my "MATRIX STYLE" car crash.

here is screenshot of crash.
i will post crash movie soon if u like to watch.

give me some feedback guys.

jigu
06-06-2005, 02:55 AM
well guys waiting for ur comments!!:)

denil
06-06-2005, 03:17 AM
well were waitin 4 the movie lol. don't keep updating very regularily. takes away the essence of the movie if we know how its going

jigu
06-06-2005, 03:23 AM
well final movie won't be like this. i m gonna do some post production and will present movie as short story.so it will be so different.would u like to watch the crash?

jigu
06-06-2005, 04:36 AM
here is the update with sound.i added the sound with one shot.
i just want to test with sound.also guys if u have any good music or any suggestion plz give me.
i m looking 4 good music.

download : http://jigu.actkid.com/second%20shotsound.mov

nileshshah
06-06-2005, 05:02 AM
hi jigu,

NICE WORK JIGU

KEEP GOING

BYE

jigu
06-06-2005, 06:17 AM
thanks nilesh!!

here is the screenshot that shows how i have done car crash.
the fragements in the air r glass of car's doors and window.
c & c r welcome.
http://img18.echo.cx/img18/8397/crashscreenshot4da.th.jpg (http://img18.echo.cx/my.php?image=crashscreenshot4da.jpg)

neofg
06-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Wow buddy... I go away for 2 days and what I find?
Nice start...

I make the bad person:
o b s e r v a t i o n s
Just I think that deformation is too much exaggerated...
In real impact(u can search reference on google or yahoo) the deformation is like in this image:
http://www.lafferty.ca/photos/Things/Saab_9-3/crash.jpg
There's not that folds on the car's body. Impact is taken by the motor...then, at high velocity, car's body don't rexist, but folds(reloaded,eh?) are only in long tirs crash...
And, about particles... There's a bit of smoke in impacts, but not a cube of particles...
like here:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/ChildRestraints/ReUse/ICBC_Study_files/image002.jpg
And if I was u I make car dusty...
It's all...:) The rain and the street now is right!
Nice work, I wanna see the movie...:rolleyes:

jigu
06-06-2005, 10:54 AM
hey neo u r right about deformation points.but u forget that my entry is Hybrid entry.and i just want to add a fantasy to my scene.so i added the waves go through cars.that's the fantasy.afterall my car crash is future audi's car crash.:D

4saken
06-06-2005, 06:20 PM
hm, the audi tt is not really a future car. it's been out there for almost a decade now.
I would have to agree with neofg, get rid of those exagerated deformations. they really throw off that overall realistic look. you did such a great job so far, dont blow it with something like that.

jigu
06-07-2005, 02:09 AM
well thanks guys!! i think u r right guys!!
i m thinking to rework on crash simulation.i will try natural reactor simulation rather than hand animated simulation.but before i do simulation using reactor i would like to show u my last crash animation.i will post it soon.

neo thanks for putting those reference images.

jigu
06-07-2005, 04:42 AM
aokei.....guys i felt that i havn't done any good.evern my environment isn't looking realistic.after looking blashmey's work.i realize that i have do much better.so i m gonna rework on environment and camera angle and also gonna work on deformations as neo and 4saken suggest me.

before i go i want to show u just crash test like in matrix i did.
Divx file:
http://jigu.actkid.com/new.avi remember this is just test not final animation.

jigu
06-07-2005, 06:37 AM
okei guys after reworking on rain,wall texture,sky texture,lighting etc etc.

here i want to show u test render.

jigu
06-07-2005, 06:40 AM
here is another test render of my first shot of movie.

jigu
06-07-2005, 06:49 AM
and one more test:wip:

jigu
06-07-2005, 06:51 AM
plz can someone help how to compress movie in quick time format? i use sorenson codec 3 for quicktime movie.

denil
06-07-2005, 07:03 AM
gr8 work there.

jus a couple of glitches tho. in the crash scene, ur front tire takes of way too fast. n the sound that u used for the engine note sounded more like a F1 car than an audi.

also don't feel shy to explore all diff camera angles. helps to make the scene more effective.

jigu
06-07-2005, 07:05 AM
thanks devil i m currently reworking on new camera angles!! will post update!!!
well let me know about my new test i just posted.

neofg
06-07-2005, 08:48 AM
Test movie is nice....I understand that it's just a test, but it's nice.
I never saw good the new environment, it's motion blurred...
there's something flat in the brown wall, but it's not visible...I'm gonna see it better when u post the animation. Nice angulated rain...
Good work...

jigu
06-07-2005, 01:10 PM
update to newshot render :

http://jigu.actkid.com/newfirst.mov

CoreyJAvitar
06-07-2005, 03:02 PM
The_Jigu!
I am really impressed man, your work is really looking good!
If I may suggest: For realistic car motion check out the vehicle simulator plugin at www.newplugins.com
It does some great vehicle motion!
I love your shaders and everything! Keep it up!
~Murphy :thumbsup:

Jeet
06-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Hi jigu...

Your work is cool....

Hame bhi thoda sikhaya karo >>>>

REgards
Jitu

jigu
06-08-2005, 10:42 AM
thanks jeet and coreyjaviator.

Roux
06-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Looking good the_jigu:thumbsup:

Can't wait to see it all come together.

blasphemy3_d
06-08-2005, 11:17 AM
Good job man.

I will make some sugestion if you allow me... From my point of view.

1.-the car moves too slow unless it is a slow motion camera. If your car moves quicklly the MB will make more effect.
2.-The camera movement is too regular. Try adding some non-3d movement like real cameras.
3.-The car shadder looks like plastic to me.

It is only from my point of view. The rain effec is getting better..

jigu
06-08-2005, 12:34 PM
hey thanks roux.

blasphemy thanks for suggestions.
yeah about the camera movement i have just added some jerky shaky movements to camera(currently rendering it) and also i have to work on car material.i will work on it.
thanks for ur suggestions i will work on it.

blasphemy3_d
06-08-2005, 12:58 PM
What soft do you use?

jigu
06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
i use 3ds max 7.:)

blasphemy3_d
06-08-2005, 01:15 PM
If you are rendering with Vray try this. Make a shellac material. In the first material slot add an Vray Mat with the color of the car and a med reflexion level. As ref mask use a fallof deppending on the camera orientation. In the white slot of the fallof add a very dark map of reflection where you can place clay, dust or whatever you want. It will work as ref mask. In the shellac´s second slot add a vray material completlly transparent with the ref up to the max and fresnel reflections. It will give you the sense of bright pulish surface.

This is the shadder I am using for my Mustang. Hope ypu find this info helpfull.

jigu
06-08-2005, 01:20 PM
thanks for info.but i don't use vray i use max default scanline renderer it works fine to me.
welll about my car material.in reflection slot i have added falloff material with fresnel type.and i used this material within shellac material.i think car looks little plastic becoz of cloudy type of environment.i m still playing with material and i changed falloff type from fresnel to towards away and it works good.

thanks for ur help.

blasphemy3_d
06-08-2005, 01:28 PM
ok

Fresnel is too heavy for my taste too. I use it only for the shinny shape. I agree, fallof is better.

jigu
06-08-2005, 01:29 PM
i want to post wire view so u guys can see how the scene is done:
http://img106.echo.cx/img106/1149/wire3ji.th.jpg (http://img106.echo.cx/my.php?image=wire3ji.jpg)

Gangstashers
06-08-2005, 10:12 PM
Looking Good Jigz! Keep it up, and im with blapshemy it looks a bit like plastic... but for the rest you're doing verry good! :thumbsup:

Sheherryar

jigu
06-12-2005, 02:25 PM
thanks Gangstashers.

i have done crash with reactor.i did car vs car collsion using reactor.than deform with modifiers and window and door glass get brokens.

jigu
06-12-2005, 02:29 PM
here is the crash movie.well it seems very fast(it is 100 frames long).

but i m gonna show this in frozen time (like in the film matrix) so everything will look good.

link:
http://jigu.actkid.com/crash.avi

anirudha
06-12-2005, 07:42 PM
hey jigu looking good,
but the crash is not much clear in the draft o/p.
may be the speed is too much waiting for the bullet-time renders.

jigu
06-13-2005, 03:28 AM
hey jigu looking good,
but the crash is not much clear in the draft o/p.
may be the speed is too much waiting for the bullet-time renders.

yeah but in bullete time effect u will see this in slow motion.well i need to render it.i will post it next week at the end of the challange.:)

jigu
06-13-2005, 05:39 AM
okei guys here is an update.
here we go........ cars run for crash.but i didn't render crash yet.:D

http://jigu.actkid.com/output1.mov

c & c r welcome.:)

neofg
06-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi Jigu!
I like a lot the last camera animation...It make fell the"story"...creating suspence...
I like it!

CoreyJAvitar
06-14-2005, 02:20 AM
Hey the_Jigu, I personaly thought the camera motion was a little to wavy, and the cars look like they have no weight at all, like they are toy cars being played with. And the motion blur was a bit much, but it is still lookin' good! :bounce:
~Murphy~

PseudoXavier
06-14-2005, 03:17 AM
jigu its comin along
Might be a lil too wavy for me but hey to each their own
might be kinda cool to add some more background scenery too, maybe a large city setting or mountains.
lookin forward to see where you go with it, keep up the good work

jigu
06-14-2005, 03:23 AM
well thanks....neo nice 2 c u back.:)

coreyjvitor : thanks .......cars run smoothly bc of road is flat.i hope u can understand this sentence(sorry for my bad english). well motion blur is good enough. it gives speed to car.

coreyjaviotor and pseudoxavior : well pseudo thanks....well i think i have to keep down the frequency of camera noise position attribute. well i will do it.if u guys feel wrong.

well pseudoxavior : i would like to put anything as a background scenery but i want show those stormy clouds they make good effect on rain.but i will do it if i find good background.i m trying but havn't found yet.

well i will make update soon.:) :bounce:

sriramatrix
06-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Hey,thats really cool work man !:eek: I like the rain,and the sense of speed is also well captured...the only part that can be refined to make it perfet is the "crashing" part...you might wanna checkout the "Crash N Burn" trailers:thumbsup:

anirudha
06-14-2005, 08:24 AM
hey jigu,
looks good.
waiting to see the bullet time crash seq.
good luck!!

jigu
06-14-2005, 01:35 PM
thanks sriram and anirudha for ur support.

BTW, guys here u can see my final crash.

well it;s 100 frames long.but as i m gonna do bullete time and slow motion camera works so final crash will be 1000 frames long(only slow motion and bullete time effect will be 1000 frames) :D .thanks to sriram for reference trailer.:thumbsup:

Anyway guys i suggest u to see this clip in slow motion(frame by frame in any media player) than u can see the crash properly.

download : http://jigu.actkid.com/_scene12.avi (http://jigu.actkid.com/_scene12.avi)

waiting for feedback.

sriramatrix
06-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Thats very cool:buttrock: ..MUCH better than yuor previous carsh!

It looks good in slomo,and I'm sure it'll look awesome when rendered:cool: Anyway,here are a few things that you might wanna improve :

1) You didnot deform the car tyres after collision...if you'd observed the crash n burn trailer carefully you'll understand...
2)Maknig the doors open with a jerk after the crash will be realistic too...

Waiting for the render:bounce:

ivanisavich
06-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Hi the_jigu,

Nice to see you're working on the actual impact now :)

As for the crash....weeeeelll...for some reason it doesn't look like the cars have much weigth...looks more like 2 miniature cars hitting each other. Also...the "bounce" of the car on the left is a bit strange.

Keep workin on it!

jigu
06-14-2005, 03:46 PM
well ivan : i m going for slow mo crash. and it;s done with that thing in my mind.as for bit strange motion of left car. i have to say that cars collision done with reactor.so it;s natural.
well thanks for ur input.i will work on it more.

ivanisavich
06-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Hehe...well using reactor doesn't gaurantee good results ;) ;)

Try setting the elasticity of all your objects to 2, and friction to 5...hit "Simulate" and enjoy :)

anirudha
06-14-2005, 09:40 PM
yeah, right ivanisavich.
but i think if a realistic crash is expected then elasticity should not be much.
incresing the mass and decreasing elasticity can get close results if one is going
for realism. bc whenever high speed vehicles crash their bodies are deformed untill the impact force is utilised and then the repel works which balances the collision and normalizes the force.
so if cars are in high speeds just crush them hard if its head on collision and let the weight be felt.
if i am wrong please rectify me, that will be a gr8 favour.
and hey jigu the crash looks good :) but the suspensions are not working.cars do have a low bounce on suspensions.:bounce:
well looking forward to bullet time, it would be much more interesting.
keep them coming jigu.....
i like ur work..

ivanisavich
06-15-2005, 02:16 AM
Hey metal,

hehe...I guess you didn't get it ;)...I was just kidding....setting elasticity and friction higher than 1 causes CRAZY errors hehehe...

jigu
06-15-2005, 04:11 AM
Hey metal,

hehe...I guess you didn't get it ;)...I was just kidding....setting elasticity and friction higher than 1 causes CRAZY errors hehehe...

lol.....i m not crazy rally game crasher.......:twisted:

also i have seen many crazy crashes like my car crash. and ivan ....i think u r forgetting fantasy factor in hybrid entry.

jigu
06-15-2005, 05:55 AM
well guys my car crash is under rendering.so meanwhile u can check out my bullete time effect for second shot of movie.

http://jigu.actkid.com/newsecond.mov

ivanisavich
06-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey the_jigu...

Guess I should have explained meself.

I was referring to an area of the crash where the car on the left bounces unnaturally. Right now, it appears to gain vertical velocity for no apparant reason.

If you watch it, when cars hit...the car on the left bounces back from the impact and then bounces pretty high off the ground. It looks strange in the sense that he's getting momentum from no where.

Hope that explains better what I meant :)

neofg
06-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi Jigu!
mmmmh...The last rain is more unreal than the first... Street is nice(very very nice)but in the rain I can see the polygons...

jigu
06-15-2005, 06:20 PM
well neo my computer isnot much fast that can handle those 300000 rain particles in high poly sphere.so i took low poly 6 sided sphere as a rain drop.:sad:

anirudha
06-15-2005, 06:31 PM
hey jigu,

:) the bullet time looks good, but the rain particles are spoiling things.

plz do something abt those or reduce the size of particles.:sad:

keep them coming..........

jigu
06-16-2005, 02:03 AM
well anirudha particles size is right.rain particles rn't much big.those big raindrops u saw r the drops vey near to the camera.that's y.

neofg
06-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Mmmmh....Effectivly u have this problem since the start...If u Can't make a script or something for it why don't u put a transparent plane in front of camera, like if it was an umbrella....so particles are not so near the camera...:applause:

jigu
06-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Mmmmh....Effectivly u have this problem since the start...If u Can't make a script or something for it why don't u put a transparent plane in front of camera, like if it was an umbrella....so particles are not so near the camera...:applause:

lol.....funny idea.:applause:i can do it putting deflector space warp but i don;t have time to work on it.

jigu
06-16-2005, 10:34 AM
guys check out this composited video. i composited all video together except the crash one.

http://jigu.actkid.com/final.mov

well now crash and music is left to be added in video.

krazed
06-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Do you have motion blur on the rain drops? I think this could help solve the problem of seeing individual drops so close to the camera. Possible you could render in layers and add DOF which could also make the drops more realistic. However going really well so far!!! well done!!

jigu
06-17-2005, 02:24 PM
thanks krazed...i applied motion blur on the rain.but in slow motion and bullete time , there is no motion blur effect on rain drops.

anirudha
06-17-2005, 06:28 PM
hey jigu,
atlast the clip is been downloaded with the sucking dialup,
and it really looks good and hey abt the drops thing i think
nothing much can be done for that but u can take some reference
from the slo-mo punch in matrix revolutions, it does shows the droplets
close to camera and how do they behave.just my opinion.....
u r really going good.
good luck...
keep them coming...

thoughtcriminal
06-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Hey man,

Looks really nice!

I don't know how much time you have to work on it (I'm guessing not plenty), but there are a few places where I would push it more towards realism:

Allthough you're showing the impact in slow motion, the deformation of both cars happens only on three or four frames, and for some reason there's a snap between those frames (as if you've replaced the whole mesh on one frame and again two frames later and ect. instead of doing a morph between them). I wonder what's the technical issue that forced you to do it this way.

Just before the impact both cars behaive unnaturally - the red one slightly takes off (you can see it clearly -the back weel is detached from it's reflection on the road, and the blue car's front wheel intersects with the ground, and it also moves snappily up and down for no appearent reason.

About the shattered glass- Front car windows don't shatter like that upon impact, they are designed to stay in one piece. -also, there's no way glass particles land on the ground below the car.

Last but not least - it's a bit disturbing that rain drops don't splash when they hit the ground. I don't know what particle system you're using, but I think it could add quite a bit to the believebility.

Sorry for the bad english, hope I helped and not sounded too harsh...

jigu
06-18-2005, 12:54 PM
well i can understand ur comments.i would like to work on it.but time doesn';t allow me to work on it.well about the front car;s glass.u saw that wasn't front car's glass.it was interior of car and due to dark light it looks dark that's y u think it is glass.well glass takes broken when cars collide to each other.

thanks for ur interest.bymistake i upload my final file.but i have removed it now.i m gonna post final on 24th june.

thoughtcriminal
06-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Of course glass brakes when cars collide (most of the time), but what I ment is that it doesn't shatter to little pieces and explodes to all directions - it brakes but it's overall shape stays in tact.

Plus, After viewing numerous crash-test videos I can tell that in a car crash like yours the glass wouldn't even brake because the velocities aren't high enough.

I just noticed you gave all of your rain drops refraction (?!), I think that's a really BAD idea, because the viewer can't notice the refraction on 95% of the drops because they are too far from the camera, and rendering this thing probably took you ages... If I were you I would remove the refraction, and add it only to a few selected drops which are close to the camera, and only in the bullet-time sequences when a drop might be visible for more than two-three frames. It would save you hours of rendering time, and you could spend those hours refining the animation...

jigu
06-18-2005, 04:27 PM
well i have finished my entry and it is final. :)

neofg
06-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Man, I Can't see the final.mov...
I wanna see the finished work...

jigu
06-20-2005, 10:41 AM
sorry neo i m gonna post it on 24th june.:)

ivanisavich
06-20-2005, 11:43 AM
You're not going to post it before then for last-minute critiques? :O

jigu
06-20-2005, 01:25 PM
well music compositing is still left to add in my final animation.

sriramatrix
06-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Nice work ! I'm waiting for the final one !!:bounce:

jigu
06-23-2005, 05:43 PM
hello guys,

i have completed my car crash animation. u can see final animation from here.

thanks to u guys. u supported me a lot.

Quick time movie(23.9MB) (sorenson):

http://www.helpme-now.com/jigu_fxwars_320_240.mov (http://www.helpme-now.com/jigu_fxwars_320_240.mov)

sriramatrix
06-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Superb work man !! Looks great !!! No crits on this since its your final !:applause:

Best of luck:thumbsup:

saad_ahmad
06-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Good but the crash should have caused more damage

Still good work:thumbsup:

jigu
06-25-2005, 05:31 PM
thanks saad ahmad.

neofg
06-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Jigu! Final I saw it!!!
There's something in the rain that is better in the firsts posts...what a sin!:) And the impact is a bit strange...
I think u hadn't so much time in the end,uh?
Ok, but nice work! And more nice 4 be made in few time!
See u soon...

jigu
06-27-2005, 11:04 AM
thanks neo.nice 2 c ua back.:)

sriramatrix
07-01-2005, 12:00 PM
hey jigu,when will the voting start ??:bounce:

RobertoOrtiz
07-02-2005, 01:34 PM
First I would like to thank Samuel Kvaalen for coding this voting page and hosting it.

Go >>HERE<< (http://kvaalen.com/cgtalk/fxwars/enter.php) and post your infromation if you want your animation to be part of the voting on Monday night.

-R

jigu
07-05-2005, 02:54 AM
hey jigu,when will the voting start ??:bounce:

it will online soon.

michaeljr
07-06-2005, 05:32 AM
well I didn't really want to post to many opinions or crits during the competition.

first, and I'm no one to talk cause I did the same exact thing, I think you concentrated to much on the rain. without rereading all the post again, I think you worked many, many days on just the rain and nothing else. like I said, I'm no one to talk and fell into the same trap. I doubt anyone can even see that there are springs and shocks inside my wheel wells...

so it's important to set yourself a time schedule. setup a nice, simple to use spreadsheet and track your time and progress. I have one around here that lets you change your progress and auto color codes everything. Maybe I will find it and post it if I have it. I have a feeling, from the look of the animations, everyone fell into this, even the probable winner Blasphemy started off strong and then ran out of time and his animation of the wreck suffered compared to the quality of his rendering and animation before the wreck. It's a hard game to play, maybe if he didn't model a whole driver or put those extra poles in the background, he would have had an extra 1/2 day to animate. I don't know, you will have to ask him, just using that as an example. I know the amount of time I wasted didn't allow me to texture, light, render, or anything other than model and animate, and it cost me a chance at Overall. so think smart, don't get caught up in one thing, think as a WHOLE. for me I would have spent more time animating your cars than doing the rain, keep the rain till the end. because the challenge was a Car Wreck, not a Rain effect... Rain would have been one of those EXTRAS you didn't need. (by the way, the rain was a very nice effect):thumbsup: you cars could still wreck even without the rain...

the Matrix Effect. no, that's fine you did it, but my questions is how much R&D did you do? break things up. it's hard to do sometimes, especially for those who haven't been doing this a while. think like a director of a movie. When Spielberg makes a flick, he doesn't film normally film from start to finish. A director will film this piece and then this one all out of order. Then an editor will put it together. Well you can do the same thing for 3d. so instead of working on AS A WHOLE, break up your stuff. so you wanted to do the crash scene from the Matrix with rain? well then break that up. break up what is envolved. so you have a set. ok, work on that, figure out what you need and don't need. now a car.. hmmm, well that's a little harder because it's in slow motion, need some type of cloth or noise animation to ripple the metal. break that down, metal ripping, then glass follows, then plastic explodes. ok how do you ripple metal? well instead of working right on the model, make a plane, ripple it, write down your settings, and so on. rain, ok, rain, get some video clips, still images, go outside in a rain storm, read some tutorials, test it on a blank file, not on the whole thing. it's faster to do them by themselves. it's harder to see and this is a mental block some have that can't see the WHOLE while it's in pieces. for me I can't even really turn on all the pieces without crapping out my machine. I had to work on a tire or two, the frame, maybe a door or two, then I didn't see it till I rendered it out. this is where patients comes in

and back on the R&D.. how much prep work did you do? did you watch the movie over and over? did you get screen grabs or put video on your computer to watch in slow motion? did you look into the Cinefex article that tells how they did the effect? these are types of things to think about.. if you had a video camera you could have taken video of yourself crushing a tin can or compressed air on tin foil (just thinking off the top of my head) and use those as video reference as you tried to copy the effect. did you watch any movies that had cars in rain?

I think what you did was a good "first run" and you said you only spent 15 days on it right? well why not spend another 20 or so and work on it some more whenever you have some free time. fix the thigns you don't like, break it down in a list, take the crits people have posted, make a second and a third version till you get it to a higher level. like I know some people commented on the front windows smashing. this is something I notice as the car you have would have safety glass and that doesn't shatter. maybe instead of shattered glass you have cracks that slowly form over the glass from the front to the back... find yourself some photos of wrecked cars, take the image of the glass and use that as a texture, then use a material morph or basic grayscale images and animate them forming the cracks.

I only spent a week on mine so I"m far from done.... I want a DEMO REEL quality piece.... I"m only 1/3 the way there...

there probably is a technical / artistic level difference between say yourself and Blasphemy that will make it easier and faster for him to get to the level he wants, but there is no reason over time you can't learn the same and do the same. although I would like to see two skill levels for voting, maybe a Begginer / Experienced level or a Pro / Hobby level. as I don't think it would be fare if someone who just worked as a matte artist on Star Wars entered a FX Challenge Matte Contest, but that's up to the big man RobertoOrtiz

anyway, I will post some quick tips from the stuff I learned doing this.

but think about this, unlike the other 180,000 members of CGtalk you were 1 of 9 that entered!!! that in it's self is saying something... and that you had fun... well you better have had fun, cause that's the most important thing about this stuff, is to learn and have fun doing it.

jigu
07-06-2005, 05:54 AM
thanks for crits michaljr.

well i think i didn't look at real car crash video much.and i try to follow crash like in the film matrix.(like truck crunched over time) . ii did some simple car crash before i do my car crash.but i didn't find any way to simulate metal like u did in ur beggining.and i didn;t get success well.and i just want to finish contest and i did it with simply noise modifier.but i think i m wrong. my big mistake is....... i didn;t do R&D for crash.also set isn't look busy that makes crash unrealistic.

i got ur all crits. and i will take care in my next contest.and i will enter with take care of patient,R&D and realistic look.

well i became very disappointed becoz of i don't like losing.but it's okei....i m now better than before.

i got some idea for next contest and i will do more Research for it.and will take care of to make right things.

thanks for ur comments. i didn't expected that ppl will give reply.but u gave me.

PS:::i got all ur sentence.now i know how to keep things better.

i learned a lots of thing from u guys like blasphemy,ivan ,u and others.

From blasphemy i learned that i have to make things realistic and better.
ivan inspires me to make concept and proper storyboard that makes ppl excited(i like ur concept "crash with the robot")

Michaljr : i saw his simple metal simulation in the begining.and he inspires me to make a first simulation on simple scene. than we can get idea how we can simulate the our final scene.

From me : i found that i don't have patient.i don;t take full time to refix the things right.so patient is must like blasphemy have.

thank you,,
jigu.

michaeljr
07-06-2005, 06:16 AM
well you are the only one that gets dissapointed. just learn from others, learn from your mistakes and work harder than before. I look back and just scream inside at the mistakes I have made. I'm almost 32 and I'm 10 years behind the curve still. Tried to do to many thing, what is that called, ya

Jack of All Trades, Master of None.

I mean, have you see this thread??? http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=254635 with Victor Havone. you know I can remember 6 or 7 years ago, on another forum making comments and crits on his Alien Song when he was first working on it!!! and now look at him... just finished working on Incredibles. why is that? because he consentrated on the things he was good and praticed and praticed and praticed and stay focused and praticed some more.

where as I did not, I let things like computers speed and video cards and particle this and cool that get in the way. the moral is, don't get blinded by the fancy stuff, stick to the basics.....

I think I need to go say hi to him...

ivanisavich
07-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey man,

No need to get disappointed! It's honourable that you were able to finish and enter :)

I think one of the main things you should look at in the future is optimizing your scene. You mentioned earlier that the rendertimes with the rain were taking reaaalllly long. I had the same problem...I was getting 2-3 minutes/frame rendertimes that were really bogging me down (and would have stopped me from being able to get done on time)...but....I ran back through my scene, took out the stuff I didn't need and optimized/organized the rest....so that by the end my frametimes were approx 30 seconds (and there were only 1-2 passes/frame -excluding the shots with sparks/smoke-...so that sped things up a lot!)

Hope that helps, and good luck!

jigu
07-06-2005, 01:15 PM
hey ivan thanks for complements!!

i m not being disappointed now.i got to be disappointed coz i m just at 19.and i was very excited for contest and to win.

well i think i will learn a lots of stuff first.than i know i can make stuff like blasphemy and u.

michaeljr
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
doh dude, sorry.

I meant to say your ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE that gets disapointed...

sorry about that....

and 19 man, you should have seen the utter crap I was doing at 19... you are beyond anything I was able to do.

jigu
07-06-2005, 04:42 PM
it;s okei.....i got ur words.:)

LordNikkon
07-06-2005, 06:47 PM
All I can say is wow.
ivanisavich I like how you added to bot, to make it more than the normal car crash. It did feel a little rushed with the quick edits. I would like to see a full short as to what is going on there.

Blasphemy3_d I cried when that car took that tumble it looked so real. To ruin american muscle is a blasphemy.

the_jigu, good all around technically biggest turn off for me was the matrix music, its been overplayed (no fault of your own).

LightFreeze, good job on the car, looked realistic, the girl was nice too.

Roux, Looked really good till the crash scene. Nice job on the trucks.

Nelsig, for some reason I couldnt view yours, my plug in must be bad.

Loran, Nice looking car, very realistic.

Once again good job to all.

anirudha
07-08-2005, 08:13 PM
yeah its right jigu,
u r not the one who is dissapointed,
i'm not dissapointed abt the winning thing but
abt the entry......
no comments at all on my entry i think there was the
problem with the video format or something or my
work was totally a crap........i guess so!
i did changed the seq. 3 times, i sucked yaar!
(i can't upload quicktime sorenson format due to hosting problems)

"Jo hua so bhulja"

i'll be again working for the next challenge and
will enter in time....

i think i'll do bit better next time......big freeze sounds cool......

and also i'm still working on the live action footage--the one which i shot
for carcrash seq. if u remember, hope to complete it soon.

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2005, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.