PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Char Q

Meko
05-18-2005, 05:36 AM
Ok hereís what I'm doing then ill ask the Q after.

Iím making a squad of guys in armor. About 6 and I want them mapped differently. I could model a base model, duplicate it, and then transfer the UV's to each of the models.

However what about rigging? I've never rigged anything in Maya before, so my question is this. After I rig one of them fully, can I transfer the rig to the other models so they animate the same?

Also a little side Q, if one model is the exact same as another except for say, a spike added to his helmet, if I copied the rig would it still work?

I hope Iíve made myself legible haha

Thx in advance, Steve

Dichotomy
05-18-2005, 03:35 PM
first, if you layed out UV's before duplicating, you shouldn't have to transfer the UV layout.
As for the rig, if all the geometry has UV space to itself, Im pretty sure you should be able to export/import skinning weights.
If you change the geometry (spikes on some but not others), im not sure exactly how that will effect weights... extra verts change vert numbers and can screw things up.
You might have more luck to import the first finished model into another scene, use the search/replace to change all your naming conventions, and then make your changes to the finished model... might be easier than trying to duplicate everything.

Meko
05-19-2005, 07:32 AM
k thx.

these naming convensions, why would i need to change them?

do you know any good tutorials?

maya help isnt relavently 'helpfull' in my situation.

again thanks for the reply

-Steve

Edit: wonderfull sig... simply brilliant

Dichotomy
05-19-2005, 02:55 PM
whoa, got two ideas converging in my last post... If you import into a new scene with a finished model you shouldn't have to change the names, but if you decide to import/export skin weights, you might have to do some name changes... I'm not completely sure (as I dont use this much) but I think the maps are based on the names of the joints, so you would have to have the new joints be named after the maps and change the first joints to something else... -- anybody know for sure? --

you are going to have to do some touch ups when you change the geometry (if you add verts)

PS if you import to a new scene, you might want to change names or else you could end up with something like char2_masterCharRig_*** all the way down the rig... and that is a pain.

oh, you must be one of the people that does understand binary :thumbsup:

Meko
05-20-2005, 03:26 PM
haha indeed i am.

ok that clears things up a little.

does it matter wich i do first between texture/rigging?

alright, so im gunna do a bit of test rigging importing that kinda stuff with simple geometry, and ill post here again if i have lots of trouble.

thx fer the replys

Dichotomy
05-20-2005, 04:55 PM
I always try to have the texturing done first, but you can always change the input order. If you are just going to import to a new scene, I would get the texturing done first, then in the imported file you can just swap out the texture files, and not lose any information on the model.
Post here even if you dont' have lots of trouble, I would love to hear what you find out about the export/import weights etc.

yenvalmar
05-24-2005, 09:20 PM
because the image maps that are imported and exported by the import/export weights fuction is all based on the UVs of your model. whether or not you make a texture, you still need those UVs. and they need to be clean non overlapping UVs, no tricks to optimize for game texture like having both arms be one the same part, or else the weighting is going to import totally screwed up.

i find that using the automatic UV unwrapping set to minimal distortion works really well for making UVs to import and export skin maps, although it makes ugly UVs that you could never use to paint a texture in photoshop with. no matter what this never works perfectly, you will still probably need to tweak a few things.

as far as minor geometry changes or whatever, if your characters are all basically the same, i would make them and do the UV unwrapping of the basic mesh, then do any little additions or whatever. probably anything you add is going to be pretty small and if you have to adjust some of the weights by hand it shouldnt be that hard no?

john_homer
05-24-2005, 10:37 PM
because the image maps that are imported and exported by the import/export weights fuction is all based on the UVs of your model.

thats exactly why I NEVER use mayas import/export weights (that and they arn't 100% accurate)
I use a script called weightTools (originally by Michael Bazhutkinm, that I have modified) for exact weights import/export because its vert number based. writes out a text file (vert 1: 0.9 on joint1, 0.1 on joint2 etc) not a picture.
and aeSkinWeightsTransfer for exporting/importing worldSpace, to go from 1 object to another with control of the falloff/averaging, max distance, etc

both (well not my modified one) are available on highend3d
.j

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2005, 10:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.