PDA

View Full Version : Akira Movie Confirmed

SheepFactory
10-11-2002, 09:57 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=600&e=5&cid=848&u=/variety/20021010/film_variety/film_akira_dc

I hope they wont mess this up.:hmm:

Chewey
10-11-2002, 02:03 PM
This snippet from the article is interesting,

"League," set in a version of Victorian-era England where fictional characters like Dr. Jekyll, Capt. Nemo and Allan Quartermain band together to fight crime for the queen, is scheduled for a summer 2003 release via Twentieth Century Fox.

Sounds like a wacky Abbott and Costello movie. Chock full of characters from unrelated stories in a fruity blend guaranteed to provided tons of chuckles and laffs for the youngsters.

;>

slaughters
10-11-2002, 08:06 PM
Chewy,

"The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is from a pretty successfull comic/graphic novel series. It's been made into an as yet unreleased movie (I thought it was still shooting) staring, amoung others, Sean Connery.

A live action Akira though. That has the potential for being a real poorly done movie. I guess it all depends on how much money they have to spend, and how good the director really is.

heavyness
10-11-2002, 11:07 PM
an AKIRA live action needs the same budget of LOTR or STAR WARS [which it won't get] to be good. i'm figuring they will thorw in some damn teen actors who can't act and advertise it as a action moive...

if done right, they should look at the comics and pick a new "story" and just not re-do the anime. it needs to be a live action movie that complements the anime.

erilaz
10-14-2002, 07:51 AM
Why must people always try to remake classics? They're classics for a reason! Look at all the remakey remakes: Psycho, House on Haunted Hill, Planet of the Apes. None of these had that special classic feel to them.

Akira is a classic. It's the "Gone with the Wind" of anime. There's some stuff in there you just can't make live. It would ruin the art of the original.

Sorry if I'm sounding purist, but unless they do a DANG GOOD JOB of this then I'm going to be quite put out.:surprised

I'll go lie down now.

RobinOberg
10-14-2002, 10:32 PM
hehe, "confirmed"? didnt you believe it? :)

i think it sounds great, and if they follow the manga instead of the movie they should have a winner...

PureFire
10-15-2002, 02:39 AM
i bet they botch it....a movie of this scale needs to be done well and that demands alot of money....time will tell i spose

Is-boset
10-15-2002, 07:10 PM
i don't need more AKIRA[B] than the original anime, i guess the katsushiro otomo movie it's perfect, or you need more about AKIRA?, maybe a sequel but i like that it be in anime.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.