PDA

View Full Version : MGS4 footage

Neil
05-18-2005, 05:59 AM
Well the first official vid came out:
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/vids_1.html

confusing as all hell. haha. Typical of all previous MGS trailers though.
Seems there is a tongue in cheek attitude of himself and the whole premise of video games.

Kwe
05-18-2005, 06:00 AM
The thread title might be misleading as the trailer doesn't actually have an MGS4 footage.

It's a great trailer none-the-less....CAN'T WAIT!

Heber
05-18-2005, 06:03 AM
its not mgs4 footage its more of a comedic trailer of whats to come, and if you saw the end you'd know it was done on ps2 hardware. Still cool though ,being a mgs freak here i cant wait to see some mgs on ps3.....

Renderman_XSI
05-18-2005, 06:13 AM
The thread title might be misleading as the trailer doesn't actually have an MGS4 footage.

It's a great trailer none-the-less....CAN'T WAIT!

I just glad, Snake is the main character again, god i hate Raiden. Plus Kojima is designing the game.

"Kojima Production" :D

erilaz
05-18-2005, 06:44 AM
That was hilarious! Glad to see Hideo is still on board.

teknotek83
05-18-2005, 07:02 AM
Perhaps the most important thing to see in regards to the MGS4 announcement..

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/136/926596_20050517_screen001.jpg

The characters.

From left to right (I'm just guessing on some of these): Vamp, Meryl (?), Raiden (with possibly Olga's baby), Revolver Ocelot, SOLID SNAKE, Otacon, Big Boss (???), Naomi (?)

SheepFactory
05-18-2005, 07:10 AM
They should bring back that cyborg ninja , that was the coolest character after big boss in mgs 3.

Renderman_XSI
05-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Perhaps the most important thing to see in regards to the MGS4 announcement..

The characters.

From left to right (I'm just guessing on some of these): Vamp, Meryl (?), Raiden, Revolver Ocelot, SOLID SNAKE, Otacon, Big Boss (???), Naomi (?)

that and this "MGS4 will take place several years after the conclusion of MGS2 and will feature an online battle mode." Prepare to get own, teknotek83 :D

Kwe
05-18-2005, 07:42 AM
They should bring back that cyborg ninja , that was the coolest character after big boss in mgs 3.
If they didn't use the Ninja is MGS2, I'd agree with you......however......if they use the ninja in MGS4, I think it'd be a too repetitive. It was a nice surprise for the ninja to pop up and give us the "wtf is he (or she for that matter) doing here?" thought, but if the ninja pops up again I'm more likely to think "AGAIN??? sheesh...who is it THIS time?"

Renderman_XSI
05-18-2005, 08:14 AM
If they didn't use the Ninja is MGS2, I'd agree with you......however......if they use the ninja in MGS4, I think it'd be a too repetitive. It was a nice surprise for the ninja to pop up and give us the "wtf is he (or she for that matter) doing here?" thought, but if the ninja pops up again I'm more likely to think "AGAIN??? sheesh...who is it THIS time?"

i'd take the ninja over raiden reappearing in MGS4 :P , die, Raiden!!

Crithon
05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
From left to right (I'm just guessing on some of these): Vamp, Meryl (?), Raiden (with possibly Olga's baby), Revolver Ocelot, SOLID SNAKE, Otacon, Big Boss (???), Naomi (?)

Meryl Back? Well, we never did see her die in Metal Gear Solid 1, but that's the supposed ending that leads to Metal Gear Solid 2. So is this like the main villian's line up (it seems that each of the games has a rouge millitary group fighting aganst the government in every game) or are these main characters? Or is this game going to break the cycles of the three games?

By the way at the end of the trailer it does have Shuyo Murata is still listed as director before Hideo Kojima. I love Hideo's sense of humor.

poly-phobic
05-18-2005, 03:12 PM
looking more like mg3 graphics on the ps2.
i hope this was just for promo purpuses and not how the characters will look. :sad:

Neil
05-18-2005, 03:44 PM
looking more like mg3 graphics on the ps2.
i hope this was just for promo purpuses and not how the characters will look. :sad:

Yes. Without a doubt. Kojima said he's currently just using the MGS3 engine, but said in the end it will look way better.

From left to right: Vamp, Meryl (?), Raiden (with possibly Olga's baby), Revolver Ocelot, SOLID SNAKE, Otacon, Big Boss (???), Naomi (?)

I would tend to agree with all of them except Big Boss.
EDIT: Mis-read what you typed. sorry.

Vamp didn't die, Meryl didn't die (i guess.. another iffy one), and the rest roll over from the cast of 2, so they are all feesible.
Ocelot would be a very old man by then too, but it does resemble him. The funny thing is that Ocelot is the most important character in the whole series besides Solid Snake. Yet he always seems to take a back seat to Liquid or Solidus or Boss or whoever else is the main baddy.

teknotek83
05-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Uhhh..when I said "Big Boss", I meant the actualy Big Boss. You're referring to The Boss. I'm referring to the "father" of Solid/Liquid Snake and Solidus. You know, the person you play as in Metal Gear Solid 3?

PhilOsirus
05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah Big Boss never died it seems, the one in MG1/2 was/were probably a clone or clones. This is the one we came to love in MGS3:) BTW it seems MGS4 is set at least partially in space! That is why it says "No place to hide" and why it is set in the future (Snake looks almost 10 years older, he has a full beard).

NanoGator
05-18-2005, 05:54 PM
*Snicker* that video was amusing. :)

teknotek83
05-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Yeah Big Boss never died it seems, the one in MG1/2 was/were probably a clone or clones. This is the one we came to love in MGS3:) BTW it seems MGS4 is set at least partially in space! That is why it says "No place to hide" and why it is set in the future (Snake looks almost 10 years older, he has a full beard).

Acutually, many rabid fanboys (as myself) have been speculating that the game may be more based in some area with destructible environments. But maybe it IS space! :-p

Man
05-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Snake looks almost 10 years older, he has a full beard.

http://i.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/041022/154446__cast_l.jpg

??

Neil
05-18-2005, 07:10 PM
------
"The game will take place in a post-Metal Gear Solid 2 world, and promises to continue the story of what happened in the wake of the cataclysmic events in that game's ending. Solid Snake and Otacon will return, as will Meryl Silverburgh, the first game's female lead who was mysteriously absent in the sequel. "Many other characters" from the MGS world are also said to be returning, which no doubt includes series villain Revolver Ocelot."
------

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140657

baaah888
05-18-2005, 07:16 PM
I wonder if this movie will have a game in it? the last one had 5 minutes of game play, hopefully they can push for 10 or 11 minutes of game to counteract the 15 hours of boredom,, oops i mean story..

Man
05-18-2005, 07:34 PM
I wonder if this movie will have a game in it? the last one had 5 minutes of game play, hopefully they can push for 10 or 11 minutes of game to counteract the 15 hours of boredom,, oops i mean story..

it's nice to see that metal gear has this effect : there's no way to just like it - you either love it or hate it. i personally think that if the story was modified or took a smaller part in the game, it wouldn't feel right. it is the single most important thing in the metal gear series. the graphics, gameplay and inovations [like the cqc] are what call people's attention, but they're secondary.

if you can't see the importance of the story, you're not seeing what mg is all about.

baaah888
05-18-2005, 10:12 PM
it's nice to see that metal gear has this effect : there's no way to just like it - you either love it or hate it. i personally think that if the story was modified or took a smaller part in the game, it wouldn't feel right. it is the single most important thing in the metal gear series. the graphics, gameplay and inovations [like the cqc] are what call people's attention, but they're secondary.

if you can't see the importance of the story, you're not seeing what mg is all about.

hey i loved the first one, dont get me wrong, the gameplay was great i absolutly loved the story when it was intersected by 5mins of talk 5 mins of game play,

but the last one in particular was an hour of fmv and text story, followed by a minute of game and then another hour of text story and fmv (well ok it wasn't quite that severe, but it was enough to destroy my will to play it)

Tryn
05-18-2005, 10:16 PM
I love the MGS stories. Even 2, which many people complained of being too convoluted.

But, is Kojima taking an active role in development? I was sure he was quoted in Hyper (Aussie gaming mag) that there would be "no more metal gear for hideo kojima." I would be utterly rapt if he came back for #4, but I don't think Snake would be the same in someone else's hands.

kkem
05-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Maybe its just me, but mgs3 seemed realy short to me.
I prefer mgs2. I mean the camouflage, food, cure stuff was exellent, but i enjoyed 2 more.
Especially the torture level and when the colonel says "havn't you been playing long enough, switch of the game".

bentllama
05-18-2005, 10:56 PM
dear god, not another one.

:rolleyes:

mgs has never been my cup of tea.

though i did meet hideo at bungie last friday. he was reserved and not as kooky as the obtuse antics in mgs would lead people to believe...

PhilOsirus
05-19-2005, 01:13 AM

Did you even play MGS3? It had far less story and much more gameplay than the previous two. My favorite gameplay element was infiltrating the bases and camps, like crawling under the wooden house and shooting enemies through the cracks, or figuring out how to escape from the ruined factory and then hunt down all 8 Spetnazz.

And Hideo Kojima has always been known as a great guy, not snobby at all.

baaah888
05-19-2005, 01:39 AM
Did you even play MGS3? It had far less story and much more gameplay than the previous two. My favorite gameplay element was infiltrating the bases and camps, like crawling under the wooden house and shooting enemies through the cracks, or figuring out how to escape from the ruined factory and then hunt down all 8 Spetnazz.

And Hideo Kojima has always been known as a great guy, not snobby at all.

1, yes i played it, 2 i didn't finish it cause it sapped all the fun out before i could get into it, 3 my housemates agreed so i sold the game which is very rare for me as i tend to keep all games i buy.

as for kojima Its also well known the guy wants to be a film director, i can't understand why he doesnt just go and do it, i thought the reason he said he wasn't going to work on a 4th MGS was the fact he wanted to do movies.

PhilOsirus
05-19-2005, 01:48 AM
Where do you get that stuff from? Here is what he said:

Hideo Kojima: To me Metal Gear Solid is a game and has always been a game, all the characters, stories, everything. That's why I'm not interested in creating a Metal Gear Solid movie myself. I've always said I wouldn't mind seeing a Metal Gear Solid film, but let it be worked on by someone else, someone in Hollywood.

And here is another quote specificly about MGS4: (http://metalgearsolid3uk.entertainment-iuk.com/metalgearsolid4.html)

Metal Gear has always been about stealth, that aspect definitely won't change. When we come up with a new Metal Gear game we always think about where we want to hide. With Snake Eater it was the jungle. If you want to hide in the jungle you need camouflage, that's why we added the camouflage to the game. The reason we're saying "no place to hide" for the next Metal Gear is the game will be set in a place, we're not going to tell you where yet, but a setting where your response will be "Oh my god, how do you expect me to hide here?" When you do actually hide in that environment, it will be very thrilling and tense.

That means it's either space, underwater, or snowy region (that would rock!):p

Neil
05-19-2005, 02:30 AM
Let's not argue ABOUT MGS, let's just keep this to information relative to MGS4 please.
I'm tired of debating with people about the game design of it.

(and look at that, i threw no opinion into it, so that means there is no necessary rebuttle msgs either)

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2005, 02:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.