PDA

View Full Version : A lot of kit for little money...

dotTom
05-18-2005, 04:48 AM
OK, let's put aside the "I hate DELL/Intel" thing and just focus on the numbers for a moment. DELL UK are doing a Precision 370 Workstation for 590 (ex VAT) [base model]. This is a dual-core, hyper threaded, 64 bit, PCI Express box. Speeds up to 3.7GHz and a physical memory limit of 8GB. Wow.

I'm not endorsing DELL, I'm not endorsing Intel, it's just a great Real World indicator that things have suddenly gotten a load more interesting on the hardware front in the digital content creation market, and they're cheap!

Don't you just wish Apple would port to x64 (AMD64/Intel EM64T).

jbo
05-18-2005, 02:32 PM
maybe i'm just being stupid, but where does it say anything about dual-core or 64-bit? looks like it's just a normal P4 with HT.

imashination
05-18-2005, 03:39 PM
OK, let's put aside the "I hate DELL/Intel" thing and just focus on the numbers for a moment. DELL UK are doing a Precision 370 Workstation for 590 (ex VAT) [base model]. This is a dual-core, hyper threaded, 64 bit, PCI Express box. Speeds up to 3.7GHz and a physical memory limit of 8GB. Wow.

I'm not endorsing DELL, I'm not endorsing Intel, it's just a great Real World indicator that things have suddenly gotten a load more interesting on the hardware front in the digital content creation market, and they're cheap!

Don't you just wish Apple would port to x64 (AMD64/Intel EM64T).

Perhaps Im missing something, but the specs say its single core, up to 3.6ghz, 4 gigs max

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/precn_370?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=specstab#tabtop

novadude
05-18-2005, 04:12 PM
The Precision 380 is the dual core model, and it fits all of te other specs he listed. Although to get the dual core model you have to pay ~$2300 (1500) and wait a month for it to be built.

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2005, 04:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.