PDA

View Full Version : day to night?

Remmers
05-17-2005, 11:14 PM
I have movie clips shot in the day and I need them turnd to night how can I do that? what efects can I use? filters?

I can sitt with these programs shake, after efects, combustion final cut pro or premeire thru school and friends.

buttachunk
05-18-2005, 02:02 AM
in any of the programs you listed, tint the footage light blue (approx 30%), decrease saturation by 25%, increase the gamma 10%, and lower the brightness (approx 30%) increase contrast 10-20%. then adjust it by eye.

that should do it. :thumbsup:

Remmers
05-18-2005, 06:51 AM
thanx I will try that

Aneks
05-19-2005, 08:10 AM
In the film lexicon night is generally blue ! so yes, the blue tint can help sell it. Just play with the aspects of the image suggested brightness/luminance contrast. colour hue and satuartion until you get a nice look and repeat the effect on each shot.

I have always had lots of luck using a technique simialr to one described in buttachunk's post. Just remeber to add the little touches, like street lights or car lights and even glows from windows. And be wary of really strong shadows as they tend to suggest strong directional light like the sun !

Also if you see the sky, you'll probably want to go with a sky replacement too !

If you have some bandwidth to spare there is an example on my vfxBreakdown reel (big download 25mb) :

http://www.tahlniran.com/reels/VFX_breakdown.mov

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2005, 08:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.