PDA

View Full Version : Difference matte, opinions?

MadSkillzMan
05-17-2005, 10:33 PM
wow this section of CGtalk has really picked up since last time ive been here!

Ive learned in FCP and in Shake (gotta love student discounts) there is a nifty little thing called difference matte, where you take a reference frame, and then compare it to your video. It keys out all the backround, as long as the camera remains still.

How well does it work? Im not in the position right now to try it, im working like crazy to finsih up a project due tmr. looking back, our green screen worked OK, not the best. I love the primatte keyer, but if the difference keyer works just as well thatd totally rule.

I only post here because i cant remember which other NLE's ive worked on have this, and i never messed with it.

Thanks in advance.

Yossarian!
05-18-2005, 01:37 AM
I'm no authority on the matter, and you'd get a much better response posting in the compositing forum, but generally working with difference mattes can be pretty iffy, particularly if you're shooting on a dv camera. I think they work by comparing each individual pixel in two images, then keying out all those found to be mathematically identical, or very similar. But the difference keys I've tried in the past have always been really rough, with a lot of noise and edge fringing. Stick with Primatte

MadSkillzMan
05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
well i think ill experiment...do a green screen/difference combo

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2005, 10:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.