PDA

View Full Version : First animation... is it good or bad?

chepe297
10-11-2002, 04:47 AM
Hi ALL

I've just finished my first animation recently.
Please critic on it and thank-you all in advance.

The url is at:
http://www.ziggwi.com/flash/animation.htm

I look forward to your critics.

best regards,
pete

p.s. By the way, this is a 3:18 minutes animation (198 seconds) so it might take a bit longer to download. Sorry about the wait... :rolleyes:

Frinsklen
10-12-2002, 09:37 PM
Hi, this is what I've found:

1. Too long!!. You don't need 3 minutes 18' to tell such a short story.
2. The crickets bucle at the beginning is annoying, and the music theme is another short bucle as well.
3. The animation has lots of flaws, it's pretty simple, no secondary motion and things like that, and everything seems to move too slowly.

Anyway, the character design is ok, and the story works fine. Good Job.

Cheers.

chepe297
10-12-2002, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the valuable feedback Frinsklen, I really appreciated it. :)

Judge Drury
10-30-2002, 01:07 PM
If that was your first animation, I'd say you should be very proud of yourself!:D

A lot of CG can suffer from "too long syndrome" (:p), IMO because it's easy to render an extra bunch of frames, and because it's really hard to force yourself to chop down the time, because it feels rushed. I know I've been guilty of this! I'm sure you can find a way to shorten every second shot or so by a couple of dozen frames.

The only other thing I think is worthy of pointing out is the painful looking deformation on his wrist about a minute in.

Refined animation comes with time and experience. Keep it up!

chepe297
10-30-2002, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback Judge. My brother too find the wrist kind of painful to look at. I did a bad job on the "skinning" part! :thumbsdow

I thought no one is going to look at my animation anymore. I almost forgot about this thread myself! :wavey:

Thanks again!

AnimBot
10-31-2002, 06:46 AM
Hey chepe297 in general the problem I have with the animation is that most of it is very stiff. You seem to hold on alot of frames when it feels like the character should be moving, even if it's just a little bit. Another thing that would make the actions a little more believable is moving those fingers. For instance when he's trying to get that crystal ball to glow by waving his hands it would look really cool if his fingers were wiggling at that point. Overall the character needs loosen up a little. On the plus side I think the story came across well and it works really well. I think for the most part your camera work and transitions were pretty good. Although in the opening shot when the camera comes to rest on the crystal ball I think it holds a little too long. Keep it up keep improving. Still very good for a first animation.:thumbsup:

chepe297
10-31-2002, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback Animbot. :wavey:

Now I currently working on my second one... hopefully it will be better.... :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.