PDA

View Full Version : IE7 - Adding TABS

slaughters
05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Check out the Internet Explorer web development Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx

It looks like they are adding "Tab" support to Internet Explorer 7

(P.S. I bet that within 1 page this thread will get a "MicroSoft s*cks post", or someone will spell MicroSoft as M$)

SpeccySteve
05-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Sensible move, opening tabs with a middle click is the thing I miss most on the rare occasions I use IE.

-Steve

RISKBREAKER
05-17-2005, 01:04 PM
(P.S. I bet that within 1 page this thread will get a "MicroSoft s*cks post", or someone will spell MicroSoft as M$)

No need, you just did it. And with the magic of 'quote', it now echoes on :)

slaughters
05-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Sensible move, opening tabs with a middle click is the thing I miss most on the rare occasions I use IE.

-SteveI agree. The interesting thing is the developers statement that they thought about originally including them in IE6. Like they had done with Excel, but decided to leave them out as something that could confuse the user.

He admits this was the wrong decision, but I'm not sure if it was. I expect that if they followed the Excel tab layout scheme, tabs would not have been as intuitive to use as Firefox has made them.

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 03:41 PM
The point is, they're incorporating the features we want to see. So lets not bitch about them when they do.

Excellent news.

Rick Flowers
05-17-2005, 05:40 PM
microsoft $ucks.

M$.

it's true.

SheepFactory
05-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Cue beamtracer in 3............2..................1................

richcz3
05-17-2005, 05:56 PM
LOL. Wait. He's missed his cue. His Microsoft heatseaker must have crashed.

Para
05-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Also note the standard supports in IE7, I think the blog also mentions full XHTLM and CSS (most likely v2, possibly even v3) support.

Schwinnz
05-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Microsoft is doing the good thing. But they'll have to do much more than that. Web browsers (real ones) need constant updating as there are a lot of new things that are coming quite often. They'll have to continue and add SVG support, CSS 3, etc. within a competitive amount of time if they don't want to be beaten. The amount of time it has taken to add CSS 2 and fix what doesn't work well at the moment (both in css1&2), fixing png alphas, just doesn't tell me I should trust MS on this move.

Para
05-17-2005, 06:14 PM
CSS 3 is a bit bloated though so I don't expect IE or any other browser to have full support for it. For example CSS 3 has vocoder framework as a part of it (means "how to make computer read text out loud") :p

Schwinnz
05-17-2005, 07:03 PM
CSS 3 is a bit bloated though so I don't expect IE or any other browser to have full support for it. For example CSS 3 has vocoder framework as a part of it (means "how to make computer read text out loud") :p

I'd expect them to implement the new layout options and borders enhancements at least. Asking for full support would be relatively unreal, but it would be definately nice. ;)

ShadowHunter
05-17-2005, 07:30 PM
I just hope the users will be quick to upgrade to IE7, so web developers can drop all the deprecated HTML tags for the more powerful CSS 1&2. Same goes for other browsers. If only all people were running current software, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place :)

BigErn
05-17-2005, 08:26 PM
are they going to include letting all known forms of spyware invade your machine thru this trojan horse browser like the old ones have done to this day?

-Vormav-
05-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Good to hear. I hope they offer some form of browser extensions though, since I'm guessing that, much like Firefox, their tabs will be pretty much useless out of the box.

shingo
05-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Hah, I was thinking the same thing Sheep.

itsallgoode9
05-18-2005, 02:25 AM
even though this is good, i'm kinda bummed to hear it because I really want firefox to get as big of a user base as possible. I've gotten quite a few of my friends to switch over to fox and the main reason they stuck with fox after I suggested it was because of the tabs. Now for the non computer savy crowd there probally won't really be much of a reason to switch. Oh well, good for the industry I guess.

Para
05-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Good to hear. I hope they offer some form of browser extensions though, since I'm guessing that, much like Firefox, their tabs will be pretty much useless out of the box.

IE has had plugin support for ages, it's just that it has previously been hidden quite well in the program.

Thalaxis
05-18-2005, 03:24 PM
even though this is good, i'm kinda bummed to hear it because I really want firefox to get as big of a user base as possible. I've gotten quite a few of my friends to switch over to fox and the main reason they stuck with fox after I suggested it was because of the tabs. Now for the non computer savy crowd there probally won't really be much of a reason to switch. Oh well, good for the industry I guess.

I agree, but I suspect that the security flaws that the press just blasted all over the airwaves probably took
the wind out of their sails.

Not that I think that the Mozilla folks deserved it, but this is the press we're talking about here...

And at least they became enough of a thorn in MS' side to get them to actually DO something with IE for
the first time since the AOL/Sun/Netscape mess took Netscape effectively out of the picture.

BlackGas
05-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Opera exists you know and they have had tabs for yonks.

I've tried all three of the major browsers and in the end as a web developer Opera is the most useful, to me obviously.

AA_Tyrael
05-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Firefox didnt make the "tabbed browsing"

They copyed it from Opera ;-)

Rabid pitbull
05-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Yes but in my experience opera is buuuuggggyyy. Plus who likes adds built in?

Para
05-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Yes but in my experience opera is buuuuggggyyy. Plus who likes adds built in?

I rather have one ad above the addressbar than 12 ad popups :)

Tarscher
05-19-2005, 02:01 PM
As a website designer I would e realy happy to see alpha channel PNG support. It would make my life much, much easier

slaughters
05-19-2005, 07:33 PM
As a website designer I would e realy happy to see alpha channel PNG support. It would make my life much, much easierNo it would not. You would have to continue to write code to support older versions of NetScape and IE for the next 3 or 4 years.

sumpm1
05-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Years late

Tirjasdyn
05-26-2005, 07:21 PM

Except don't they have to wait at least two more years?

I thought MS announced the IE update won't be out till the new OS is out in full which was projected at 2007.

Correct me with links if I'm wrong.

Tirjasdyn
05-26-2005, 07:28 PM
No it would not. You would have to continue to write code to support older versions of NetScape and IE for the next 3 or 4 years.

Only if your nuts. If a client comes to me wanting NS4 or IE 3 support I have a price for that. Then I show them the price if download and install a newer browser, I'll even set it up for them.

No one has ever bought the NS4 webpackage from me. Web clients always want the latest and greatest in their site. I just explain you don't get latest and greatest from pre 5 browsers any more. Plus webstats haven't registered any NS4 or IE3 for years.

Plus if software patterns follow they'll force an upgrade for Ie just to use their program...more and more ie is built into non MS software.

Thalaxis
05-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Except don't they have to wait at least two more years?

I thought MS announced the IE update won't be out till the new OS is out in full which was projected at 2007.

Correct me with links if I'm wrong.

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comments.php?catid=1&shownews=11951

Edited to add: AFAIK, your thought is in line with the original plan. FireFox was probably one of the reasons
that the plan changed.

slaughters
05-29-2005, 02:13 PM
...Web clients always want the latest and greatest in their site...I suspect that few of your clients were corporate entities outside of the entertainment business. Most of them are very conservative and are more concerned about apealing to the widest audience and not the top 5% of the geek world.

Additionally, I was refering to IE 6.0 when talking about PNG support. It will be around for years, heck, about 20% of the world still uses IE5.

3dsMaxTran
05-29-2005, 10:17 PM

Personally, I would like it if Firefox kept a small user base, because that would keep the lousy spyware and adware away from targetting firefox, unless people actually enjoy popups...
hey..i've been known to click a few ads here and there for the fun of it :scream:

those are my two cents

CGTalk Moderation
05-29-2005, 10:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.