PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! CarCrash! Deon Roux (HYBRID)

Roux
05-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Never fails. That's two new reasonable projects since the topic was posted:)
Count us in. I've enlisted some help for this one so I think we have a chance of finishing it.

If not, at least I can pay the bills:thumbsup:

Roux
05-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Here's a quick early wip of the main set. Lots to do to get it photo real but we'reon the way.

Good luck everyone. This will be fun!

jigu
05-17-2005, 02:21 PM
hey roux good set.well i have also done my set but didn't posted here.anyway i will make my thread soon.:bounce: and

good luck mate.:thumbsup:
keep going.

Roux
05-21-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks the_jigu.

Not much updated on the set yet. here are some still from test scene set up. Still modelling general traffic and high detail main vehicles. The Z4 in the oncoming traffic is from LWG3D. It will be replaced by one of my generic traffic cars. These are just low res stand in vehicles at the moment. No post on these frames yet.

loocas
05-21-2005, 10:24 AM
GO FOR IT MAN! :buttrock: I'll be watching it here closely! :thumbsup:

Roux
05-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Adding more bits:scream: and just testing out the colour pallette for this. Still mostly low res stand ins at the moment.

Rethinking the side of the motorway. The trees are going to be a nightmare to render so it may end up with tall sound barriers after all.

All the textures are handpainted in PShop CS. Modelling and rendering in Lightwave 8.3 and Fprime 1.5.

Comments welcomed:)
Oh almost forgot to mention, the tall strechy appearance is due to a PAL widescreen pixel aspect output.

Roux
05-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Here are two simple tests for rigid body dynamics done with LW and RF3. I plan to do the basic motion using low poly objects to start with. These will be replaced with the high poly obj's with additional key frames to be added for more detail.

Not sure about using cloth dynamics for this. The effect looks OK to start with but the result doesn't end up like a crashed car. I think I may resort to morphs for the damage wich will let me do some shots that soft body / cloth dynamics wont.

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/crash_test.mov
http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/crash_test2.mov

Roux
05-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Still adding more layers to the background of the set and doing some more dynamics simulations.
RoShin is busy modelling away low poly cars for the traffic heading in the opposite direction and our music team is busy putting together an original soundtrack:twisted:

Not too much new to show ut here's a small divx preview of how it's shaping up. This is made from a low res preview render still with mostly stand in vehicles.

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/mwaysmall2.avi

Can't wait to see how this tuns out.

LightFreeze
05-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Looking very good there, no real crits at the moment however the camera motion when it is in the right lane could have some drift added as its solid and looks unatural

can`t wait to see some more

Roux
05-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Thank Lightfreeze. I agree with you too. I am toying with the idea of :

1. adding some camera movement with post
2. adding a vehicle null for this camera / shot and making it bounce aroud as the car crosses each of the concrete joins in the road.

The truck is basically just moving straight line at the moment but I am busy modelling and rigging the high detail one. Hopefully I can make it look like 50 tonnes moving quickly along a slightly undulating surface:bounce:

RoShin
05-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Looks great buddy. Can you "dirty up" the motion at the end of the lane change though? It looks like it hits and invisible wall and stops. I know, I know, shut and keep modelling ;-P

Roux
05-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Hey thanks RoShin. Will look even better with the traffic coming the other way......:deal:

Here is probably the final update on the set.(this part of the set ..shhhhh!) I have a few thing to fix like the grass on the sides, a couple of guard rails around the base of the footbridge piers and some additional signs and street lights.

The compression is pretty bad to keep bandwith down but this is from a 1/2 size render at PAL Widescreen resolution. The final will be done at full resolution. Trees modelled by hand and rendered as background plate using HD Instance.

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/mwaysmall3c.avi

now to get back to the detailed vehicles :)

Roux
06-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi all. Here's a small update. Been busy with :rolleyes: web work.

This is the first of my tests with cloth effects in lightwave. Still have to work out how to use the cloth deformation in conjunctions with hard body effects.

The car is a very early version of my RAV 4 model. Box medelled in LW 8.3. The motion lacks a bit of energy and is nowhere near as impressive as some so far on this forum. Crits welcomed as usual.

More soon....RoShin where are you?

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/ravcrasha.avi

Roux
06-04-2005, 02:12 PM
I know its the same shot (again) but 3D blasphemy has made me spend some more time on getting the lighting, textures and detail a little better:scream:

The background models are going a little slow because we are all suffering from the flu:sad: but the simulation tests and the detailed vehicle modelling is progressing. I promise to post some stills from the other shots soon:deal:

Things still to be worked on this set are the merge between the grass and the rock face, additional signs and objects and the other traffic.

Comments always appreciated

Roux
06-05-2005, 04:51 AM
OK, I know I promised but I'm addicted to test rendering this scene:twisted: . Seems that everytime I add a bolt or nut to the model, I have to render out 2 hours worth of frames.

I have changed the lighting conditions to something a little more ominous and I finally figured out how to use QT compression to get a reasonable file size and good quality.

This one is a little bit larger at 4.5MB so be warned dial up users!

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/pass.mov

Now , unless anyone has some comments: NO MORE TEST RENDERS:bounce:

loocas
06-05-2005, 08:23 AM
I reckon... it' gonna be BRUTALLY AWESOME! :buttrock: Keep it up dood! :thumbsup:

LightFreeze
06-05-2005, 11:54 AM
looks excellent

its gonna rock

Roux
06-08-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks guys. Haven't had much time on my hands but am still busy working away on it between other stuff :argh:will post some wires of the lead vehicles soon and maybe even........ another shot :cool:

blasphemy3_d
06-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Great render Roux!

I understand that it is a test so the only thing I will change is the camera movement BC it is too regular. The rest is ok to me.

great job!

Roux
06-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Wow. That means a lot coming from you blasphemy!

Yep the shot is a bit regular . Not sure at this stage if I will add some motion in post or try moving the camera. I think I will maybe do a bit of both depending on the shot length, its quicker to edit with post than rerender the entire section if if doesn't look right.

Did you use post movement at all in your fantastic test or is it all camera movement?

The final will have a lot of cuts from different angles much like yours but I plan to render them out from a number of cameras using the same scene. Not sure how noticeable it will be when its all together.

Busy working on more models but there will be a total of about 50 (mostly free downloads)background vehicles and several "lead vehicles" which are involved in the action.

Back to modelling now :bounce:

blasphemy3_d
06-08-2005, 11:57 AM
50???? hahahaha youīre crazy man!

I have 2 vehicles in my scene and I have getting crazy to get some good animations! Good luck man!!

About the camera... I use some render camera movement and some postpro movement too as you said. I recomend uso some movement because you will able to save some work if you are able to see near the final result. I have some bridges in my scene and If I render the scene without movement I need huge maps to texture them but if I render the scene with MB and camera movement I cans see that the detail I need is lower than I was thought. thatīs all. anyway your scene looks real enought to me.

Keep on posting!

Roux
06-08-2005, 01:24 PM
I am totally crazy :twisted:

The 50 background vehicles are all doing simple stuff and as I mentioned, most of them are downloaded from the internet becuase who has the time and they won't be seen very clearly with a closing speed of about 220 KM/Hr. Some of them are also being modelled by RoShin who is a good friend of mine and is now learning lightwave.

It is insane trying to model 3 trucks and 2 cars from scratch for this though but I am actually looking like I will get it finished for a change. These are going to be fairly high detail like the trailer.

This is the start of the second truck.

blasphemy3_d
06-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Ey thatīs great. Looks perfect to me :)

jigu
06-08-2005, 01:31 PM
50 vehicles!!hahaha man u r crazy!!
hey u can make crash of 50 vehicles!! hahaha
waiting for ur movie.

Roux
06-08-2005, 01:37 PM
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: All 50 huh?...:twisted: :twisted:

Roux
06-11-2005, 05:21 AM
Here's a small preview of my new truck model:) Still a few small details to add but nearly done.

It looks like I'm going to be very busy - RoShin is very ill and unable to help at the moment (Get well buddy).

2 more detailed trucks and 6 cars to model and then replace the low poly test vehicles, render and composite:eek:

This truck weighs in at 16638 poly's without the running gear. About 7 Hours so far to model it with only 2 photo refs and no blueprints :-(

Roux
06-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Here's a small test of the Rav 4 low impact collision. Not much of a change from the previous tests but...suggestions please:bounce:

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/crash_2.mov About 1MB

Roux
06-12-2005, 08:17 AM
:rolleyes: Still busy messing with models and testing some simulation methods in the background

Here are some small updates of my truck.

Roux
06-12-2005, 01:46 PM
No comments? I guess everyone is busy with thier own challenges:)

Here is a small test to see if I can get some weight into this truck as it moves. I think the tyres still need to buldge a bit as the weight comes down. I'm working on that now.

Just realised that the wheels don't give an appearance of speed because of the way LW and FPrime see motions. They just won't motion blur if they are only spinning and at this speed without motion blur, they actually look like they are moving slowly:sad:

Still working on a number of test before putting the big scenes together......http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/truck_moving.mov 1.8MB QT

suggestions please

anirudha
06-12-2005, 08:20 PM
looks awesome, gr8 render.
looking forward to those crashed metal...

michaeljr
06-13-2005, 03:01 AM
the rim are sitting to still. I think they would be either blurred or rolling backwords, might want to check your motion blur settings.

love the big rig though.

Roux
06-13-2005, 04:00 AM
Thanks guys.

Michaeljr: Yep agree completely. Unfortunately, Lightwave has some issues in terms of work flow and compatability with third party renderers at the moment. Motion blur on a spinning object in Fprime is not playing nice:shrug: . I did add motion to the rims but the resulting effect was insane. See the attached thumb to see what I mean.

Here is another test shot and I don't think it will make too much of a problem once the shots are comped and edited. Like Blasphemy, I'm still messing with testing the way shots will work. The overall coreography and simulations are coming together but I want to know where to put the camera before I start rendering out full scenes.

You can see that I do need to add some detail to the underside of the truck and put the "New Trailer" on it. Don't want to give away the story yet so I won't post it:twisted:

This one is about 5MB QT sorry dial up dudes.
http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/sc1.mov

jigu
06-13-2005, 06:12 AM
looks good roux!!:thumbsup:
well u can make wheel motion hand animated.u can animate wheels on their local co-ordinates.

well i think u can use bump maps on the road. so road looks preety realistic.

Roux
06-13-2005, 06:36 AM
Thank the_jigu. The wheels are atually turning using proper equations to match rotation with speed. The problem lies in the way LW & Fprime are handling the motion blur - its either non existant or way too much.

The road does have bump map but maybe it needs to be increased.

Good Luck

Roux
06-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Damn....little to update so far this week. Got stuck looking after a senior role at work and doing 12 hours + 3 driving to and from. (Wine, moan, grunt & snarl..) Still plan to get it done though so it will be a busy weekend. More updates to follow:)

A small 2.5MB QT - still working on getting the motions and coreography right. The vehicle is a D\load which will be modifed and detailed unless I can find time to finish my RAV4. The other truck is nearly complete and the coreography is coming together.

These test are nowhere near as complete as some becuase I don't wan't to rerender yet. As I improve the scenes, each of the improvements applies to the previous shots for final render..if that makes sense?

Some how lost the lateral movement in the truck during the render but it will be in the final. There are also more layers of background scenery for final composite.

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/sc1dfx.mov

artman50
06-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Wownderfull ! but, and the crash ? i hope see it soon

Roux
06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Thank you Juan. Me too.....:eek:

Roux
06-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi Guys.
Still working away:banghead: Should have it all finished tonight...

Here are some of the updated stills - no you can't see the new shots yet:p

Roux
06-25-2005, 02:40 PM
OK. Nearly done...

Here is an update with the almost final shots. Still have to render out the other vehicles and general backdrops (trees etc). The cruiser is actually running into the back of another vehicle before going into a spin.

Can anyone guess what happens next...:twisted:

Sadly because of time, I've had to cut out heaps of the storyboard but hope to finish the full thing once this is over.

Comments anyone?

Sorry guys, this one is almost 7MB. WMV
http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/comped1.wmv

jigu
06-25-2005, 02:44 PM
i m downloading ur video now.......wanna see car crash with truck.

Roux
06-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Hey jig! Not yet buddy. Still putting those bits together but need some sleep. Not long to go though and you will surely see them collide:twisted: .

Really could have used a few hours to work on it this past week but thats life. Should be ready to post the final tomorrow but I'm lost with the actual date.

jigu
06-25-2005, 05:30 PM
well ur movie looks good.but why does it look so dark? i can't see road and environment.

RobertoOrtiz
06-25-2005, 10:49 PM
the voting thread will go up around the 4th.

-R

Roux
06-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Hey thanks jig. It is fairly dark for mood but judging by the level of brightness in your vid, your monitor is much darker than mine. If your using WMP 10 you can play with the brightness to see it more clearly but I will adjust it a little for the final. Thank you.

Roberto : ;-)

Roux
06-26-2005, 02:33 PM
A small update although I'm still busy rendering away. I guess Roberto is not looking :-)

the scenes are coming together nicely now but rendering the various layers is getting pretty complicated.

This one is in QT7. You'll need to D/L the new version if you don't have it. (Believe me its well worth getting).

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/comp2qt7.mov
Still replacing a few shots where certain models weren't included in the early tests and the grand finale is nearly done:bounce:

anirudha
06-26-2005, 07:31 PM
hey roux can u post divx versions it would be lot easier for
people like me,
on my net service it takes time to d/l the newer QT.....
nelsig too posted in that format than it must be really
a good one........

wanna see ur final shot.........

collingtech
06-27-2005, 10:50 PM
mmm, hi to all , nice to be here by the way, so.. i grab the video but i cant see nothing, already have qt7 and all i see is a white all over the movie ,anything but sound , im wondering if i do something wrong mmm( murphys law can i say) too bad , i signed to put in dvix format , im just too excited to see whats happen next ;0), thanks in advance

Roux
06-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi guys! Damn computer problems :eek: having problems with my machine but can't quite work out what it is.

I will post a divx and a qt7 version if everyone promises to only download one or the other. My server is taking a nasty hit this month.:thumbsup:

RobertoOrtiz
07-02-2005, 01:36 PM
First I would like to thank Samuel Kvaalen for coding this voting page and hosting it.

Go >>HERE<< (http://kvaalen.com/cgtalk/fxwars/enter.php) and post your infromation if you want your animation to be part of the voting on Monday night.

-R

Roux
07-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Finally, here it is. I haven't completed what I wanted to due to work and computers probs. It's still missing 2 shots and particle effects.

These are the same animations and look identical. Please only download one or the other. If you don't think you have Quicktime 7 (free download), then download this one.

dial up users be careful. this is Quicktime 6 and 17.3MB
http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/DeonRoux_FXWARS(560x400).mov

If you have Quicktime 7, try this one. It is a much smaller file but identical quality. 9.9MB

http://www.villagefx.com.au/Gallery/vids/DeonRoux_FXWARS(qt7560x400).mov

Good luck everyone. This has been fun.:)

Roux
07-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Sorry guys but I had to pull all of the files on my server after chewing up 30gig of bandwidth today. Wow is about all i can say.

Here is a link to the free web hosted file for anyone who still wants it:

http://rapidshare.de/files/2870854/DeonRouxFXWars560x400.mov.html

Scroll to the bottom of this page and click the "free" button. It will obtain a ticket and then you can click to download the file.

RobertoOrtiz
07-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Have you considered hosting it with google video?

-R

Roux
07-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks Roberto. Will do that but having problems getting signed up. They also don't seem to like QT as much as mpeg files.

At least you know this forum is a success!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-07-2005, 02:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.