PDA

View Full Version : Maxon releases CINEMA 4D 64 Bit for Windows

Srek
05-17-2005, 12:07 PM
CINEMA 4D and Cinebench available in 64-Bit!

MAXON has always been one of the first 3D software developers to integrate the newest technology into its products. Multi-processor support, Multithreading, Hyperthreading and Dual Core support are only a few examples of MAXON's optimized software development meeting and surpassing expectations.

And now, immediately following availability of Windows' 64-Bit operating system, we are proud to announce the availability of CINEMA 4D in 64-Bit!

up to 256 GigaByte RAM with Windows XP 64-Bit
up to 1 TeraByte (1024GB) with Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
supports Intel Pentium 4, Xeon with EM64T, AMD 64 and AMD Opteron
approx. 20% faster rendering
Consequently, the 2GB memory ceiling has been removed - or shall we say "moved" - depending on the operating system used, up to 1 Terabyte RAM (1024 GB) is available.

CINEMA 4D R9 users can create to their hearts' desires, no matter if they're working with complex polygon models, elaborate textures (eg. with SubPolygonDisplacement) or extensive light sources (and shadow maps). Since CINEMA 4D's own particle system can work with any type of object (including complex geometry with SPD Shaders and integrated light sources) a variable "Memory Feast" is at your disposal now.

Especially The BodyPaint 3D module benefits from the additional memory when creating textures. Editing high resolution images several hundred MB large with layers and undo-buffers is now easy and a great deal more accommodating.

So, what are you waiting for? Registered CINEMA 4D R9 (for Windows) owners can request a free 64-Bit version simply by contacting MAXON Computer here (http://www.maxon.de/pages/products/c4d/64bit/register_e.html). A free download of the benchmark software CINEBENCH can be downloaded at http://www.cinebench.com. The computer to match can be found at your favorite PC shop ...

For more information see http://www.maxon.net

LucentDreams
05-17-2005, 12:44 PM
out of nowhere maxon jumps in to not only be the first commercially available 3D software but also beats adobe to the 64 bit painting app as well. beauty.

Now its just a matter of getting windows XP for your 64 bit systems if you have one. Microsoft is offering an option to upgraded to XP 64 for free for those that have xp pro.

pit
05-17-2005, 12:52 PM
That´s better news than the PS3 specs! :scream: :applause:

jojojo
05-17-2005, 12:54 PM
is there going to be a similar version for OS X 10.4?

Srek
05-17-2005, 12:56 PM
is there going to be a similar version for OS X 10.4?

No, sadly Apple does not offer support for 64 Bit apps that have and need a GUI
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/64bit.html
Cheers
Björn

michaeli
05-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Well done Maxon ! :thumbsup:

And congratulations to be the real first one! :)

AdamT
05-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Wow, first out of the gate! Didn't the makers of that $495 "Pro" application announce they were workig on a 64 bit version some time ago? :)

Thalaxis
05-17-2005, 03:31 PM
out of nowhere maxon jumps in to not only be the first commercially available 3D software but also beats adobe to the 64 bit painting app as well. beauty.

This shows that Maxon's on the ball, but let's be serious... beating Adobe to the punch is a bit like reaching
the bottom of a hill by falling. :)

MJV
05-17-2005, 07:02 PM
This shows that Maxon's on the ball, but let's be serious... beating Adobe to the punch is a bit like reaching
the bottom of a hill by falling. :)

LOL! I never heard that one. Funny.

pgp_protector
05-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Now its just a matter of getting windows XP for your 64 bit systems if you have one. Microsoft is offering an option to upgraded to XP 64 for free for those that have xp pro.

I missed that anouncment, got a link ?

EDIT: Never mind

https://microsoft.productorder.com/clientx64/default.aspx

jbradley
05-18-2005, 04:51 AM
No, sadly Apple does not offer support for 64 Bit apps that have and need a GUI
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/64bit.html
Cheers
Björn

Recompile the application to support long long data types and specific G5 instructions. Those changes alone would equal the Windows 64 bit speed ups. The guys at Maxxon might want to read the Tiger specs just a bit closer.

Also, your statement is incorrect. Other 3d applications like Maya work with a GUI layer that interfaces through messaging to the command-line software, which can be fully translated to 64-bit. I do not know how Maxxon built Cinema 4d (I'm a bit doubtful it's that type of architecture based on the price-point), so I can't speak directly to whether or not it is possible for them to do it efficiently. But saying there is not support for 64-bit applications without a GUI is not accurate. Apple offers support for 64-bit application development with a 32-bit GUI layer, as detailed at the end of that link you posted and in other areas of the ADC site.

Thalaxis
05-18-2005, 04:56 AM
Recompile the application to support long long data types and specific G5 instructions. Those changes alone would equal the Windows 64 bit speed ups.

You might want to try doing a bit more research before making such assertions.

LucentDreams
05-18-2005, 06:11 AM
seems to me that you don't have a 32 bit layer but two applications a 32 bit and a 64 bit and they then need to communicate with each other, this process alone seems like a bottleneck that would counter the benefit, and it requires development of seperate programs where with the windows 64 bit version they didn't have to rewrite or make new apps they just had to make adjustments and compile.

JDex
05-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Congrats Maxon. Pretty cool that you got out the door so quickly with this one.

Wow, first out of the gate! Didn't the makers of that $495 "Pro" application announce they were workig on a 64 bit version some time ago? :)

A few weeks ago the makers of that $495 "Pro" application did show a 64bit build in operation, it will be released when it is ready.

retinajoy
05-18-2005, 09:03 AM

It's not important who is out the door first. Lightwave and XSI are both great products with their own 64bit versions in various stages of Beta, and it does not make them less for not arriving 1st on a 64bit platform. It may even give them an advanage. However, it is good that Maxon is also a forward thinking innovative company giving us more options of 3D tools to use.

rendermania
05-18-2005, 09:35 AM
I see lots of crowd shots, epic space battles and large scale environment renders, like detailed cityscapes, in C4D 64's near future. :) The C4D renderer has always chewed through high poly scenes really well. It was just hampered a bit by the 32bit Windows memory limitation.

The 64bit version should be able to render out absolutely gigantic scenes without stripping things down into separate passes + the renderer has gotten 20% faster as a result of dropping support for older CPUs. Good news indeed. :thumbsup:

Moonblood
05-18-2005, 11:25 AM
20% as absolute maximum or avarage?

Srek
05-18-2005, 11:52 AM

Average, the maximum was beyond 30%
Cheers
Björn

LucentDreams
05-18-2005, 12:04 PM
it really depends on whats used in a scene. some ares are going to see significant speed increase whie others may not be affected that much. and when suing gigantic amounts of virtual memory you also run into a bottleneck in the speed that your harddrive partitions can read/write and transfer data. when dealing with 7 gigs of virtual memory for instance its got a lot of data to send back and fourth.

michaeli
05-18-2005, 01:11 PM
A few weeks ago the makers of that $495 "Pro" application did show a 64bit build in operation, it will be released when it is ready.

Sure, but maybe 3 years later. :)

flingster
05-18-2005, 04:17 PM
GOOD GOOD news srek....cheers..:thumbsup::buttrock::bounce:

tilo.kuehn
05-18-2005, 06:57 PM
20% as absolute maximum or avarage?that's a low average ... i rendered a scene that had 40% speedup! ... 20% is the average ... or to be precise thats the speedup which cinebench shows up ... athlon64 shows 30% speedup compared to the 32 bit cinebench ...
cheers
tilo

JDex
05-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Sure, but maybe 3 years later. :)

:shrug: Okay? Or maybe 3 months. :rolleyes:

paintbox
05-18-2005, 08:04 PM
This is great news. I really think Maxon has got some pretty talented programmers' ; they are always swift and quick to implement requests or bring innovation. This will be pretty interesting news for companies and a nice incentive to upgrade to 64-bit.

rendermania
05-20-2005, 09:56 PM
I haven't upgraded my hardware to 64bit yet, but the ability to tap into 256 gigs of RAM is going to open up sooo many new possibilities when building large scenes. First time I've actually become excited about the prospects of 64 bit.:)

Hazdaz
05-21-2005, 03:12 AM
:thumbsup:
Nioce.

So when you guys say 20% faster... or in the case of TILO who said 40% on this particular example...You guys are talking about completely untouched, untweaked and unaltered files, right? Like the ONLY difference is that you installed the new version, hit the render icon and BANG saved 40%?

That great stuff if it is that easy.

ThirdEye
05-21-2005, 05:26 PM
:thumbsup:
Nioce.

So when you guys say 20% faster... or in the case of TILO who said 40% on this particular example...You guys are talking about completely untouched, untweaked and unaltered files, right? Like the ONLY difference is that you installed the new version, hit the render icon and BANG saved 40%?

That great stuff if it is that easy.

Yes, you're right. Hit render and save 40%. That easy. :)

rendermania
05-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Yes, you're right. Hit render and save 40%. That easy. :)

Time to ride the 64bit train I guess. :) Now where was that quad Opteron motherboard link again... :applause:

JDex
05-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Time to ride the 64bit train I guess. :) Now where was that quad Opteron motherboard link again... :applause:

Wait 1-2 months and get a dual... with dualcores.

rendermania
05-22-2005, 12:32 AM
Wait 1-2 months and get a dual... with dualcores.

or a 4 way AMD dual core mobo, 16 gigs of RAM + Maxwellrender. CG nirvana. :D:D:D

Thalaxis
05-22-2005, 06:53 AM
If you really want to go for the gusto, wait for Horus and get yourself 16 sockets ;)

limousine
05-22-2005, 09:11 AM
I never used Cinema4D but IMHO people have to pay more attention in this powerful software. I'm very impressed with the latest works I saw done in Cinema.

- limo

thx1138
05-22-2005, 10:00 AM
or a 4 way AMD dual core mobo, 16 gigs of RAM + Maxwellrender. CG nirvana. :D:D:D

You're still gonna have to wait for your renders to finish :D

michaeli
09-22-2005, 05:48 AM
:shrug: Okay? Or maybe 3 months. :rolleyes:

And four months passed. :)