PDA

View Full Version : e3 the revolution has begun

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 08:28 AM
http://www.dsrevolution.com/images/im/JeffEaston_9861_revolutionleak.jpg www.igncube.com (http://www.igncube.com/)

could this be it ? news just come in im getting excited

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 08:57 AM
looks like it fits the description.. not very... "pretty" though .. hmm I like the blue light, hehe :D

Tonedef
05-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Looks very "grown-up" I really hope their games take the same course and we can get back to what we used to get with nintendo! No more cell-shaded crap!

Oh and they say official...I know they could be wrong, but they probably aren't

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 09:06 AM
looks like it fits the description.. not very... "pretty" though .. hmm I like the blue light, hehe :D yea t first i thought the same thing then i remembered the size of it just the width of 3dvd cases and just a lil bit over the length, that will indeed look good. apparantly it is only 3 times as powerful as the GC but we will have to wait and see.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Not as flashy looking as the 360 or PS3 (or even Gamecube)....but oh well. As long as it can house good games....

.....I'm still wondering why they named it "Revolution"

Crithon
05-17-2005, 10:55 AM
well, look on the bright side, it's not a toaster with a headset attached to it.

Man, it's pretty early in the morning to finally get news on the Revolution already.

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 11:00 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2005-05-17-revolution_x.htm?POE=TECISVA

hey guys look what i found

Decade
05-17-2005, 11:00 AM
I thought the visual style of Wind Waker was excellent (I assume that's what you meant by 'cell shaded crap?'). Couldn't understand why so many american players had a problem with it. It seemed to go down quite well over here (UK). I've seen the screens of the new Zelda, but I can't say I prefer them... they're just different.
From looking at IGN, I get the imression this is just another mock-up, although no doubt the size & shape will have to be approximately like this. I want to see the controller more than the console...

Crithon
05-17-2005, 11:21 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/games/2005-05-17-revolution_x.htm?POE=TECISVA

hey guys look what i found

WOW! It's also pretty early for the Press to be confirming reports..... I wonder, if I placed a bounty on Revolutions news right about now would it be possible it would be leaked? I demand a Sequel for Kid Icarus!! and not the GB sequel a legit sequel.

DevilHacker
05-17-2005, 11:26 AM
That console does not look like the "revolution" that Nintendo promised us...
But what do I know...
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/shrug.gif

t-man152
05-17-2005, 11:46 AM
I dont know about this. did Nintendo underestimate their competition? because only 2-3 times the power of the Gamevube after yesterdays PS3 and XBOX 360 conferences seems rather week. I know that "its not about the performance its the games that count"
but when you see graphics like what they will have for PS3 and Xbox 360 I dont think that the average consumer will go with the weaker system.

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 12:03 PM
wow, that design really surprises me coming from nintendo; it kinda looks like an external hard drive
...anyone know where there are higher res? I'm gonna be horribly dissapointed if it's only 3-5 times more powerfull...even though i love innovative gameplay, I want my games to looks damn freaking good.

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 12:41 PM
wow, that design really surprises me coming from nintendo; it kinda looks like an external hard drive
...anyone know where there are higher res? I'm gonna be horribly dissapointed if it's only 3-5 times more powerfull...even though i love innovative gameplay, I want my games to looks damn freaking good. as stated in another one of my posts the gc was already producing high quality realtime graphics comparible to what is being shown right now on next gen machines, so being 3-5 times more powerful is something that will really be quite good.

BigCurly
05-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Well about the 3 - 5 times more powerful thing....remember when people were going bonkers over sony claiming 66 mpolys with the ps2 and then nintendo only caliming 6 - 12 mpolys with the gamecube? I don't know about anyone else, but I think games always look better on the gamecube than the ps2.

Although I have to admit, the sony presentation was pretty impressive.

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
as stated in another one of my posts the gc was already producing high quality realtime graphics comparible to what is being shown right now on next gen machines, so being 3-5 times more powerful is something that will really be quite good.

yeah I guess you're right....nintendo's architecture seems to be setup differently than the other usually so that it can produce comparable graphics witout actually being as fast...only 3 more hours to wait and find out! :bounce:

rakmaya
05-17-2005, 01:30 PM
as stated in another one of my posts the gc was already producing high quality realtime graphics comparible to what is being shown right now on next gen machines, so being 3-5 times more powerful is something that will really be quite good.

As far as the real performance goes, even 8-10 times faster than gc processor cannot come close to x360 or cell processor. Unless they got something else (like another processor to do ai/physics etc..), it won't come close. GC doesn't produce no where close to what xbox produces. The reason the games look so good is because the overal content of the level is low when compared to many high quality games released on xbox/ps2. Some of the effects are pre-rendered as well. You can't compare that to real time graphics on next gen.

Hope they got something better! I LOVE to program on GC. I hope their next gen powerful as well so that developers will support it. Developing for one platform is tremendous amount of work for next gen and the developer will choose one platform over another based on power.

Just_David
05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Only 2-3 times more powerful than the GC? Hardly warrants the name " Revolution "..

me thinks Nintendo are once again missing the boat.

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 01:55 PM
http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3140623

http://www.1up.com/media?id=1897375&type=lg
http://www.1up.com/media?id=1897379&type=lg
http://www.1up.com/media?id=1897381&type=lg

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I'm really excited to hear how they handle the downloadble games which they have mentioned...that's a freakin' sweet idea. The system really looks like a sony product to me...man i'm excited to hear what nintendo has to say and show

Aooogah
05-17-2005, 02:21 PM
I guess we'll have to wait until the press conference to see what the real revolution about the Revolution is. I just hope it doesn't have to do with touch screens.

poly-phobic
05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
i think this will be NINtendo's last attempt in console hardware.
they 'll end up justr making games... much like sega.

----

i wonder what games they'll be showing to display the "revolutionary" power of the revolution...

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 03:02 PM

----

i wonder what games they'll be showing to display the "revolutionary" power of the revolution...

like i keep saying they have been in the game for over 100 years, make no mistake about it, they will fulfill there purpose, i like your avatar by the way

Just_David
05-17-2005, 03:05 PM

----

None. theyll ruin the new console with crappy kids games like peach mario and luigi.. developers will leave in their droves and only fanboys will carry its flag. Ive bought nintendo all my life and well no more.

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm still waiting to see why they feel they can call it a 'revolution'.

Though I've heard very tantalising things about the controllers. Sadly, I cannot back any of what I've heard up with proof.

I shall wait and see.

OzzyCat
05-17-2005, 03:18 PM
yea t first i thought the same thing then i remembered the size of it just the width of 3dvd cases and just a lil bit over the length, that will indeed look good. apparantly it is only 3 times as powerful as the GC but we will have to wait and see.

Ok, for a start, Sony and MS have told everyone a load of bullshit... remember MS and Sony's original claims of power for the Xbox 1 and PS2? WAY over specced... the consoles could only do the shit they described with NOTHING going on... NO lighting, texturing, etc.... Nintendo don't bullshit with engineered marketing specs...

2 - 3 times more powerful than gamecube is in fact, if you know ANYTHING about the Gamecube, VERY powerful. The gamecube is actually a very powerful console. Out featuring Xbox in some respects, and out performing/featuring PS2 in almost every respect.

The fact is, Nintendo release 'real world' figures.

The demo's of games you have seen from MS etc, are not 15 times better than Xbox games... and certainly Sony's wont be able to do 35 times better looking or faster games than the PS2. I bet everything you've seen (and I'm sure of this) will be possible on Revolution too. The spec's that have been thrown around are similar to the Xbox360 specs. It will differ a bit, but technologically, it's exceedingly similar. I bet it has the same 512mb Ram... we know it will have a PowerPC based processor like Xbox360 (and Gamecube if you recall). Not sure how many CPU's delivery how many cycles, and how many threads etc... and it will have an ATI graphics chipset (like gamecube before it) like Xbox360.

Don't assume that the figures you hear from one company to anpother are in any way indicative of the system's real world capabilities. Sorry for the rant, but people really should stop listening to the obscene figures that games console manufacturers release!

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Well then they shouldn't release these 'facts' if that's true. This is E3. The time for bs and 'mines bigger than yours' is over.

We want the cold hard truth.

BillSpradlin
05-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Well then they shouldn't release these 'facts' if that's true. This is E3. The time for bs and 'mines bigger than yours' is over.

All those guys getting paid a quarter million a year in marketing are obviously doing their job well.

There will always be BS, there will always be companies claiming their products are better than others. It's a basic rule of economics and marketing. Educate yourself and use some common sense.

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 03:34 PM
I know of marketing, and common sense.

Common sense tells me that when you launch your product, you launch your product. Not some steroid enhanced version that will not see the shelves.

The time for such rumourising and falsifying is long before the launch. E3 is where you have the chance to back up your claims, or go home and wish you had.

OzzyCat
05-17-2005, 03:41 PM

Well of course they shouldn't!!! But that's my point... stop listening to them!

Jeez... Nintendo are the only ones who talk the truth when they release specs.

poly-phobic
05-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Educate yourself and use some common sense.
lets keep the low-blows to a minimum.

and i have yet to see a game on the PS2 to demonstrate what was shown on the tech demos before its releaese.
so if you dont develop on any platform, or are in the gaming industry;
dont condescend others, just sit back and wait/watch.
judge by the games, not the cpu hoo-haas... the parties who will be able to really take advantage of the ps3 are those with a dev team capable of such (*cough cough, sony, ea, capcom, other unmentioned)
lets all wait and see the first wave of games MS SONY and NINTENDO will shove down the throats of their audiences.

opus13
05-17-2005, 03:48 PM
I dont know about this. did Nintendo underestimate their competition? because only 2-3 times the power of the Gamevube after yesterdays PS3 and XBOX 360 conferences seems rather week. I know that "its not about the performance its the games that count"
but when you see graphics like what they will have for PS3 and Xbox 360 I dont think that the average consumer will go with the weaker system.

i think nintendo will do just fine... they have what the others dont: quality control. there are so few games for ninteno systems that arent playable. even childrens games like yoshis story were fun for 30 year olds. easy as hell, yes, but it was still fun.

can sony or MS say that? that most every game put out on their systems is fun to play on come level? no. look at any pawnshop or EB used game area. there are so many crap titles. the chances of blindly buying a game, and having that game be crap are much more likely. sure, they look good, but so what? crap is crap.

Renderman_XSI
None. theyll ruin the new console with crappy kids games like peach mario and luigi.. developers will leave in their droves and only fanboys will carry its flag. Ive bought nintendo all my life and well no more.

This is how i feel about Nintendo, too many kiddie games. back in the days of SNES they had tons of third party support. If they dont even have a decent list of third party game/developer...than i dont know what to make of nintendo. But than again, they were kinda asking for it , by creating controllers that were meant for first party games(N64/GC), leaving all the third party developers in the back. To this day, still think the SNES controller was the best.

2-3 times more powerful doesnt means much, let alone 1000 times more powerful..show me the extensive third party developer list(this determines the victor, this determines weather im going to support them or not). Nintendo with there "we dont need third party support to be successful attitude"..its going to come back to haunt them one day.

Either way, im still waiting for the live feed link, so another 20 minutes to 2 hours.

lastchild7
Ok, for a start, Sony and MS have told everyone a load of bullshit... remember MS and Sony's original claims of power for the Xbox 1 and PS2? WAY over specced... the consoles could only do the shit they described with NOTHING going on... NO lighting, texturing, etc.... Nintendo don't bullshit with engineered marketing specs...

2 - 3 times more powerful than gamecube is in fact, if you know ANYTHING about the Gamecube, VERY powerful. The gamecube is actually a very powerful console. Out featuring Xbox in some respects, and out performing/featuring PS2 in almost every respect.

The fact is, Nintendo release 'real world' figures.

The demo's of games you have seen from MS etc, are not 15 times better than Xbox games... and certainly Sony's wont be able to do 35 times better looking or faster games than the PS2. I bet everything you've seen (and I'm sure of this) will be possible on Revolution too. The spec's that have been thrown around are similar to the Xbox360 specs. It will differ a bit, but technologically, it's exceedingly similar. I bet it has the same 512mb Ram... we know it will have a PowerPC based processor like Xbox360 (and Gamecube if you recall). Not sure how many CPU's delivery how many cycles, and how many threads etc... and it will have an ATI graphics chipset (like gamecube before it) like Xbox360.

Don't assume that the figures you hear from one company to anpother are in any way indicative of the system's real world capabilities. Sorry for the rant, but people really should stop listening to the obscene figures that games console manufacturers release!

calm down ozzy i am on your side.... i think? but like i said lets wait and see huh?

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
i think nintendo will do just fine... they have what the others dont: quality control. there are so few games for ninteno systems that arent playable. even childrens games like yoshis story were fun for 30 year olds. easy as hell, yes, but it was still fun.

can sony or MS say that? that most every game put out on their systems is fun to play on come level? no. look at any pawnshop or EB used game area. there are so many crap titles. the chances of blindly buying a game, and having that game be crap are much more likely. sure, they look good, but so what? crap is crap.

i agree nintendo have a ratio of good ratio of quality games compared to bad quality games, sadly, the world we live in see quantity and not quality, and this is why they will never eperience the beauty that nintendo offers through its 1st party and second party games, and that is why tehy will burn burn i tell you...... ok sorry

embodiedform
05-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Its pretty sleek looking- especially that glowing disk slot.

The only thing is I really don't like the bottom mount piece- I will probably detach mine and toss it (doesn't look from the pic that it has any functionality) and also keep the system horizontal.

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 03:59 PM
anybody on here happen to be watching the conference on gamespot can keep us updated?

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 04:01 PM
... or alternatively be super nice and provide the link... :p

(Worth a shot)

Solothores
05-17-2005, 04:01 PM
should be a free stream here:
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia-live/ebms/8562/256_ebms-e3video_050514.asx

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 04:02 PM
if that works you are my hero..I had been watching blog updates on cgno last night but now it's down and I couldn't find anywhere. thanks

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 04:05 PM
i agree nintendo have a ratio of good ratio of quality games compared to bad quality games, sadly, the world we live in see quantity and not quality, and this is why they will never eperience the beauty that nintendo offers through its 1st party and second party games, and that is why tehy will burn burn i tell you...... ok sorry

thats not true, the amount of first party and second party titles arent enough variety to meet the needs of wide demographic, so how can you have mass market appeal? thats just logical. More third party support is the answer, though most third games well vary in terms of quality, but having alot of them should increase the number of one of those titles being great(AAA) , which is always good for business.

Sorry but the beauty of Mario doesnt apply anymore, its getting played out ,like Pokeman :P at least for me.

thanks for the link!!

BillSpradlin
05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Renderman: Heh, what ever happened to Nichiman?

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 04:14 PM

thanx for the logo but mine only seems to be playing music for the past 6 min or so and showing a nintendo e3 message... is this normal?

Solothores
05-17-2005, 04:15 PM
yup, about 15min till start

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
yup, about 15min till start yahoool!!! cant wait

BillSpradlin
05-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Odd, windows media player won't play it for me. Oh well.

Solothores
05-17-2005, 04:19 PM
don't panic bill, http://www.gccafe.com/ will stream for free as well as soon as the conference starts :)

BillSpradlin
05-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Cool, thanks. I could use something to listen to/watch while I'm finishing these shots =)

SheepFactory
05-17-2005, 04:23 PM
i couldnt play it either :\

BillSpradlin
05-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Bleh once again, couldn't stream that file either. This confirms my initial suspicions that Media Player does indeed blow chunks.

capone_adam
05-17-2005, 04:36 PM
its still not on...hope everythings ok, maybe sony have hidden their presentation cd's in some bushes...

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Bleh once again, couldn't stream that file either. This confirms my initial suspicions that Media Player does indeed blow chunks.

the first link should work..its about to begin! Lets see what is so revolutionary ;D

capone_adam
05-17-2005, 04:38 PM
How do you know if its about to begin?

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 04:39 PM
How do you know if its about to begin?

they just said it was about too.....but then again they gave the 2 minute warning 10 minutes ago.....you know the counter on Nintendo.com has 10 am as the zero hour...hopefully they aren't planning on waiting till then...i can't handle the tension lol

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 04:42 PM
they just said it was about too.....but then again they gave the 2 minute warning 10 minutes ago.....you know the counter on Nintendo.com has 10 am as the zero hour...hopefully they aren't planning on waiting till then...i can't handle the tension lol

I guess it arent real time?:P the conference started at 9:30 its 9:42 AM now. Not sure about the counter there but other place..says it starts 9:30 AM. ok, only 30 minutes more.

http://gwmlive.streamos.com/256_ebms-e3video_050514.asf?ts=1116343007&ttl=43200&cs=D3D1F19EC1EFA53A8D145B0AE9065FDF97DDA37F

daedalu$
05-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Anyone watching the GCCafé stream? IGN is still playing music.. :buttrock::rolleyes:

Solothores
05-17-2005, 04:47 PM
seems to start :thumbsup:

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 05:36 PM
hmm.. looks like the name revolution was just for hype... as there isnt really anything revolutionary about this system..

sure it can play every single nintendo game ever made but thats all simple emulation.. :/

hahaha, the guy just said "pokemon is a serious buisness" haha

too funny.

what a disapointment :(

edit: wow.. talk about exploiting mario.. O_O

OMG ONE PIECE!! AHHH

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 05:41 PM
hmm.. looks like the name revolution was just for hype... as there isnt really anything revolutionary about this system..
sure it can play every single nintendo game ever made but thats all simple emulation.. :/

too funny.

I agree with everything you said 100% so far....ugh:cry:

edit......man that conference was such a joke

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 05:48 PM

too funny.

OMG ONE PIECE!! AHHH

dude, this pre-E3 press event was worse than the lame XBOX1.5 MTV inveiling, no system specs, no revolution tech demo???...what a MAJOR let down. Also looks like they have a very small numbers of thrid party developers. Oh and another Pokemon game!? rofl...im gonna have to say no to this over hype and under delivered console.

God tell me that was not the whole press conference??!

edit: even when that fool, bashes the PSP..that made be laugh, cuz deep down he is scared of its potentail :D

Boxsmiley
05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
why must they be so damn secretive!! Show us some controllers, so something Revolutionary! (i hate when i lose faith in things!)

Recursive
05-17-2005, 05:51 PM

too funny.

OMG ONE PIECE!! AHHH

Apparently you were not paying attention as it was made quite clear that they were not going to tell anyone about the controllers. Nintendo did exactly the same thing with the n64 and then brought out info about the analog controller when it got closer to launch.

heavyness
05-17-2005, 05:56 PM
i thought it went well. once again, nintendo doing what they want.

-Nintendo Revolution will be able to dl the entire Nintendo history of games [N64, SNES, NES]

-DS goes online

-Zelda looking better and better

-Gameboy Advance Mini introduced

-they said the Revolution will help developers so that the next generation of games don't take millions to develop.

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Apparently you were not paying attention as it was made quite clear that they were not going to tell anyone about the controllers. Nintendo did exactly the same thing with the n64 and then brought out info about the analog controller when it got closer to launch.

I can totally understand them wanting to keep the controller a secret, but cmon, no tech specs or demo showing for the Revolution? that just wrong.

The only thing i heard from that fool Reggie was 8.2 GHz, but that could refer to anything from bus speed to memory bandwidth. It aint no 8.2 GHz CPU thats for sure.

Stillwell
05-17-2005, 05:59 PM
I can totally understand them wanting to keep the controller a secret, but cmon, no tech specs or demo showing for the Revolution? that just wrong.

Two interesting things came out of the conference:

1-In the new Zelda game, you will be a werewolf.
2-The revolution will be fully backward compatible. NES, SNES, N64, etc.

Apart from that, they keep the controller secret and that is it.

EDIT: Oh, and the Gameboy micro, which looks like a keychain.

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 06:04 PM
The only thing i heard from that fool Reggie was 8.2 GHz, but that could refer to anything from bus speed to memory bandwidth. It aint no 8.2 GHz CPU thats for sure.

I thought he just mis-spoke and had meant to ay 8.2 gb cause he kinda stumbled right after that. Isn't 8.2 gb working capacity of the dual layer dvd?

TheShow
05-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Better image of the Revolution. . .
http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/05/17/revo_screen003.jpg (http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/05/17/revo_screen003.jpg)

bleeper
05-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Better image of the Revolution. . .

Reminds me of a DS game cart.:D

zzacmann
05-17-2005, 06:36 PM
They have to tilt it back to make sure the games dont fall out.

SpiralFace
05-17-2005, 06:47 PM
wooo hooo, can't wait to see all the specs on these things.

And out of curiosity, are the servers here realy lagging for you guys as well? Right now the site is almost un-surfable, everytime I click on something it says the site is too busy. Is it because of the M&S entrys or are people like us that could'nt go to E3 this year bogging down the serveres?

harlan_hill
05-17-2005, 06:53 PM
I LIKE it!!! It looks much better than the XBox 360 in terms of appearance, but it's right on par with the PS3 in my opinion. Both units have a little sex appeal, but they're nothing spectacular.

Bring on the new ZELDA!!! Wooo Hoooo

Tonedef
05-17-2005, 07:01 PM
I personally think that the XB360 and Revolution look the nicest. The PS3 is just, well, really dumb looking :/ . I never have really cared about Nintendo's specs for some reason, I just always want to see what games we are getting. I really hope the next mario targets its original audience...US. The last one was just rediculous like it was made for 4-8yo kids...mario is supposed to be a cult classic, but I guess that is what happens when you switch directors.

Digiegg
05-17-2005, 07:13 PM
After reading about the conference, I'm not that "wowed" by it.
I want to see the conference. Also watch the videos.
Right now, PS3 had the best press conference.
As for me, I'll be getting PS3 and Revolution.
More to come today!

AnimBot
05-17-2005, 07:16 PM
The micro gba looks like a complete waste of cash.

JKStudios
05-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Reminds me of a DS game cart.:D

Reminds me of a gameboy cartridge...

What goes around comes around i guess....revolution and all that *bites fist*

Devenish
05-17-2005, 07:26 PM
With consoles in the end is just about the games. I am still curious about how much the systems will sell for and how much money we have to shell out for each game. So far it seems no one is commenting on this.

Digiegg
05-17-2005, 07:31 PM
man... i hope it's cheap...
with these high intense graphics and everything.... it's gonna get really expensive...

lovisx
05-17-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm kinda afraid for nintendo, because any innovation it makes with this console will be clonable by microsoft and sony. Their hardware is much more powerful, and I'm sure the connectivity for peripherals will be the same as nintendo. So if nintendo's control is revolutionary then in a couple monthes microsoft and sony will start selling their version, and nintendos revolution will be over, as far as hardware is concerned.

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Same as usual I'd imagine, price-wise. And could they not patent it?

I remember Dyson did with his innovative bagless vacuum cleaners. Kept HIS rivals at bay for a couple of years, I think.

I cannot see why any major advance in input controls from Nintendo could not pass for similar protective treatment.

Acestrik3r
05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
One way another people are going to buy the system for their favorite games I know I will. It doesn’t matter on what specs these system have or how cool they are. At the end games make what they are. From my view if the system cost way up and games price or close to $100, I will have to give up on video games. It seem like this is where entertainment system is heading. Just hope it will not get there.

Tonedef
05-17-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm kinda afraid for nintendo, because any innovation it makes with this console will be clonable by microsoft and sony. Their hardware is much more powerful, and I'm sure the connectivity for peripherals will be the same as nintendo. So if nintendo's control is revolutionary then in a couple monthes microsoft and sony will start selling their version, and nintendos revolution will be over, as far as hardware is concerned.

That is the thing about nintendo, it has never needed to be unique in that area, for nintendo it is all about game content.

kind of off topic but....I miss Sega systems (master system is the shiznitt!!!)...they were just too ahead of the times and it killed them. I hope they will try to make a return sometime soon though.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Anyone got pics of that GBAm? sounds interesting..

but I dont understand how much smaller than the gbasp you can get?

Anyways for whomever quoted me and talked about a controller.. I never once mentioned anything about a controller, so I dont understand what you mean.. :p

Anyhoo. ya I like the revolution look, its nice :)

DB3D
05-17-2005, 08:16 PM
i agree. The games will sell the system. I read and check out all games that come out, but i hardly ever play them. Probably hadnt bought a videogame for a year until half life 2 came out. I was so stoked and such a big fan i gladly put down 90 bucks for the gold version. ahhh, such a great game.

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Anyone got pics of that GBAm? sounds interesting..

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=bd1fe151-e91e-4226-a7ec-d64c321d9479&page=newsmain

there a link to an article that has 2 high res images...I think nintendo has a fear of showing
the backs or the sides of thier systems lol

lovisx
05-17-2005, 08:42 PM
its just gameboy mini right, not game boy advance mini?

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
its just gameboy mini right, not game boy advance mini?

I think they said it plays all game boy and gamebody advance games

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 08:52 PM
lovisx - from what it looks like its gba-micro..

and what a waste of good screens.. why do we need another gameboy that places the exact same games? wasnt the sp enough? soo lets see now

gb
gbpocket?
gbcolor
gb pocket color or whatever? i dunno
gba
gbasp
"ds" - dont kid yourself this IS a gameboy
gbamicro

did I miss any? I certainly hope this wasn't their new gameboy, because thats insanely dumb in my opinion, unless it costs 20 bucks.

bah i say!

looks nice however :D

edit: a thought just came to mind that would probably spur alot of people to buy this, since it looks so much like an mp3 player and what not why dont they release hardware and blank cartridges so that you can put mp3's and such on them and play them straight off the gbam?

not quite sure what kind of sound the gba supported, but apprently you could play shows so it has to be desent enough for listening to.. I really think this kind of idea would spur people to buy this or what not.. I would at least.. would finally give me a good reason to get a gb.. :p

pogonip
05-17-2005, 08:55 PM
NINETNDO disappoints fans ......news at 11...ohh wait nothing new ...

lovisx
05-17-2005, 09:01 PM
The big thing with the revolution was to introduce a new way of playing video games. That is supposedly the big card they are playing this time around. I'm sure they'll make great games, but really the revolution may be short, and not long winded enough to out last xbox360 and ps3.

How long did it take sony to come out with dual analog after the n64 came out? Unless the controller has some radical new technology I think the revolution will be short.

Supervlieg
05-17-2005, 09:03 PM
gb
gbpocket?
gbcolor
gb pocket color or whatever? i dunno
gba
gbasp
"ds" - dont kid yourself this IS a gameboy
gbamicro

did I miss any?

Yup, You missed the Gameboy Light. Ehehe :D

And the DS is not a Gameboy. It's a third pillar and all. So there you go.

rootdown
05-17-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm willing to bet that one of the major reasons Nintendo didn't overload their console with horsepower the way the other two consoles are has to do with the relative sizes of their companies and the dosh that they have to throw around. Sony and Microsoft are gigantic, gigantic corporations that have fingers in a lot of pies - operating systems, television networks, movie studios, audio and video hardware, and so on. Nintendo is a games company, and only a games company, so even though they've got a few hundred years of experience up on the other two, their bankroll and multimedia background is relatively limited.

Nintendo has also traditionally been very adamant about making their consoles financially accessible. The new Xbox and Playstation are likely to have $300-400 price points at launch (and the last generation of hardware was being sold at a loss of somewhere in the neighborhood of $800 per box, the strategy is to get the boxes into people's homes and recoup the losses in software licensing) but I'd be very, very surprised if the Revolution was more than $150.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Yup, You missed the Gameboy Light. Ehehe :D

And the DS is not a Gameboy. It's a third pillar and all. So there you go.

ca'maannn :D its a gameboy, it may not say it, but it is. You really think its a 3rd pillar? console/gb/ds ? if so then this is what we can look forward to

ds
ds pocket
ds advance
dsa sp
ds black and white :D (i kid)

etc etc etc.. for shame! haha :)

edit: btw reading the post above mine i suddenly came to the realization of why the revolution might actually do well enough to compete with pse and xbO

simply because they will be able to bring out games ALOT faster than ps3 and xbO, think about it, they are focusing on ease of development for the developers, and its not as superior as ps3 and xbO, so NR will be focusing on gameplay.. I mean they pretty much HAVE to.. nintendo has now FORCED the developers to focus on gameplay.. maybe this is what they meant when they said that they don't expect much third party support, because devs might want to go good graphics over good gameplay..

but I bet you the games that DO come out for NR will be amazingly fun...

hmm interesting

Gamoron
05-17-2005, 09:14 PM
For those who haven't gotten anything yet,

-- The cool look: The new console boasts high-quality materials and a
smart, compact design, approximately the size of three standard DVD
cases stacked together. A variety of prototype colors are being
showcased during E3. It will come with a silver stand that makes the
system a welcome, artistic component of any multimedia setup, whether
it's displayed vertically or horizontally.

-- Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the
current Nintendo GameCube(TM) generation. But there's more ...

-- The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to
20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for
Nintendo® 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System® (SNES) and
even the Nintendo Entertainment System® (NES).

-- Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand
the internal flash memory.

-- Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative,
self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used
for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will
have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to
play movies and other DVD content.

-- The specs: The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory,
wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A
worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a
comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution's technological heart,
a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a
graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game
experiences not previously possible.

-- The stars: Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will
add to the world's richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda,
Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

-- Wireless freedom: A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in
development that will employ Nintendo's newly announced wireless
gaming service, Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of
Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting
environment.

-- Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally
accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game "masterpieces" as well
as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a
big idea.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050517/latu045.html

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 09:19 PM
ok my friends lets chill for a bit....
some seem dissapointed, some seem annoyed but lets all smile for a min b4 i start my rant:)

ok now here we go i will be using this ign article on the whole thing as a basis for my chit chat.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/615/615089p1.html?fromint=1

ok first, the revolution design is not final.

the controller has not been shown yet, this is what they said would be a revolutionary feature in the way that it changes how games are played... patience is a virtue.

there are still working on the two chips, holywood and broadway, so like he said you may still say "wow"

Nintendo has been bringing out new versions of there GB since they started in the handheld industry now for those of you that own a play-yan it is evident that this GBA is designed for that demographic of gamers, who may not be quite so hardcore and who are impressed by teh sleekness of a system rahter than the quality of games. I have a play yan and a ds, now the ds is good for movie playbak but not practical when you want to listen to tunes on the move becuase of its clamshell design, so i will mosdef be getting a micro .

as stated this is NOT the successor to the GBA I REPEAT IT IS NOT.. so there will still be a gba 2

With this new machine you get sleek, and teh whole gba library add a play yan and you get all that plus movie playback and mp3 to carry on the go do u see there plan? as shown below the micro is just a lil bit bigger than the gba cart and will fit the play yan also shown below.

GBA MICRO

http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/article/615/615202/hands-on-game-boy-micro-20050517002049934-000.jpg
play yan

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/4/41/417/417786/play_yan.jpg

Pokemon is Big buisness regardless of weather or not it is childish.

Zelda is a sequal to one of the deepest games in history, you may not know it but allot of the games you play now, have there roots in Zelda, so this goes deeper than link changing it to a wolf, it transends normal gameplay and allows for one to expereince depth and emotional inteligence through game play, not just cut scenes.

Now back to the revolution. The fact you can play every nintendo game automatically gives it a library on launch this goes deeper than backwards compatibility. Like mentioned this new console is no longer physical but it is virtual, something that has never really been done b4.... and what is a another word for something that has never been done before??

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 09:25 PM
and what is a another word for something that has never been done before??

firstly

rev·o·lu·tion http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Drevolution) ( P ) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) (rhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ebreve.gifvhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/lprime.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gif-lhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/oomacr.gifhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifshhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gifn)
n.

Orbital motion about a point, especially as distinguished from axial rotation: the planetary revolution about the sun.
A turning or rotational motion about an axis.
A single complete cycle of such orbital or axial motion.

The overthrow of one government and its replacement with another.
A sudden or momentous change in a situation: the revolution in computer technology.
Geology. A time of major crustal deformation, when folds and faults are formed.

secondly, this isnt a monumentous change, all they are doing is stopping p2p of their old titles :p

capone_adam
05-17-2005, 09:27 PM
The whole backward compactable thing, does anyone really care...I know alot of people having been playing all the nintendo games on their chipped xbox for the last few years now.Oh and they didn't have to pay a single penny.

Its nice, but that better not be the revolution. I think the revolution is that you can connect online - for free, I've always been against online gaming and if Nintendo really do this then its going to win me over and many others. The only problem I see with that is that most of my freinds are 'casual gamers' and won't touch a nintendo...

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 09:40 PM
The whole backward compactable thing, does anyone really care...I know alot of people having been playing all the nintendo games on their chipped xbox for the last few years now.Oh and they didn't have to pay a single penny.

Its nice, but that better not be the revolution. I think the revolution is that you can connect online - for free, I've always been against online gaming and if Nintendo really do this then its going to win me over and many others. The only problem I see with that is that most of my freinds are 'casual gamers' and won't touch a nintendo...

And soon, i'll be running a GBA emulator on my PSP :D, once they make it work for 1.5-1.51 firmware..thats gonna hurt Nintendo. maybe they'll even get a DS emulator working for games that dont require touch screen/DS.

lastchild7
05-17-2005, 09:43 PM
And soon, i'll be running a GBA emulator on my PSP :D, once they make it work for 1.5-1.51 firmware..thats gonna hurt Nintendo. maybe they'll even get a DS emulator working for games that dont require touch screen/DS.

hmmm piracy lol not only will it hurt nintendo but it will in time hurt the industry, am i right?

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 09:45 PM
hmmm piracy lol not only will it hurt nintendo but it will in time hurt the industry, am i right?

i dont think it matters anymore since NR is giving away every single nintendo game ever made (minus cube and nr)

Gamoron
05-17-2005, 10:02 PM
We have yet to see what Nintendo means by Revolution. I think they are going to offer up new game play mechanisms. Like the stylus for the DS. SInce they were already linking their GBA/SP's to the gamecube, I'd wager they'll do that again and with the DS to boot. I'm not sure I'll give a rat's ass about that, I wasn't impressed at all by FF:CC for the cube. But I reckon they will revolutionize gameplay. Not FPS gameply or RPG gameplay, but they'll invent new ones.

I think the current look of the Revolution is sweet. Simple and clean. And did I mention small, so it won't take up space.

Backwards compatibilty is an important issue for me. I want to sell or give away my old systems, but hang onto my games. (the good ones anyways).

I'm impressed by all 3 systems right now. Xbox360 and PS3 for actual footage I've seen and what Nintendo promises.

can somebody pm me url's for the full shows for all systems?

Bsmith
05-17-2005, 10:02 PM
wait...so are the old nintendo games going to be downloadable for free? That would be pretty sweet actually seeing how I got rid of every nintendo system except the N64...but this way I won't have to reconnect cables and shit when I want to play N64 games or revolution games. I can't really see giving these games out free is possible finacincally....but I could be wrong.

So a question about this Wi-fi stuff. I know they haven't announced whether it will be free or not which is unlikely....but does wi-fi mean that you don't need cables and all that subcription crap like you have to deal with on xbox live? I don't know much about wi-fi and whats its capable of these days...but that would seem like there would be a lot of lag in the games.

Gamoron
05-17-2005, 10:13 PM
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,67476,00.html
Kind of explains Wi-fi. It sounds to me like its free. If not there are legal ways around it. Take xbconnect.com for example if you don't want to pay for Live.

Gaming wars: Taking up the fight with Sony's PlayStation Portable, Nintendo plans to bring online multiplayer action to its own handheld gaming system.

Users of the Nintendo DS can already connect to up to 15 other players, but only if they're in the vicinity. Later this year, Nintendo plans to make it possible for users to connect through Wi-Fi hot spots and play each other over the internet.

Internet play will only work with certain games, now in development. Nintendo has tapped IGN Entertainment to create the network that will connect players. Its network already handles PC and console video games.

Sony's PSP comes with an online multiplayer feature out of the box. Its Wi-Fi capability even makes it possible for savvy users to surf the internet on their PSPs.

Pixarman
05-17-2005, 10:37 PM
I don't get how WiFi gaming is anything new? For years we've been able to connect to each other on PCs and play for free. The PSP was online free right out of the box.

Nintendo is now saying they are reinventing online play. How are they doing this? The only things they mentioned were "free" and "WiFi". I'll also add that this free online may come with advertising...they have partnered with GameSpy. Those guys love to pop adds everywhere.

I understand that Nin has to make it sound cool to play online, but don't go and say you are reinventing it, by making it wireless and free.

Those that haven't tried Xbox Live, that's an online gaming revolution. Sure it costs as much as one game for a year's worth of play, but look what it gives you. The ability to have a hassle free way to connect to millions of people, chat, make friends, and go from game to game without a hitch. With Xbox Live, I know that no matter what "Live enabled" game I pop in my xbox, I can feel at ease knowing that I'll be playing against people that match my skill set. It's a fluid experience that becomes a part of you when you play these games. That is MS has been working to achieve and from what I've seen the X360 has it fully....

Tonedef
05-17-2005, 10:44 PM
I am excited about the backwards compatibility. I love all the old Nintendo games! But, like said above, I hate having to disconnect and reconnect all my systems. And with the switch from carts to CDs this kind of compatibility has been impossible until now, and that is revolutionary!

Just wondering, for all of those anxious for your old games, what games are you looking forward to playing??

I want:

Goldeneye (64)
Perfect Dark (64)
Blast Corps (64)
Road Rash 64 (duh)
Battle Tanks 1&2 (64)
FF7 (NES)
Link (NES)
Zelda (NES)
Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening (NES)
Kid Icarus (GB)
Metal Warriors (SNES)
All the old Marios
Skate or Die 2 (NES)
Jetforce Gemini (64)

Man there are SOOOO many more! This is exciting!

DevilHacker
05-17-2005, 11:08 PM
Note: I am not trying to bash you by quoting you here.
You just did a good job on pointing out the revolutions “strengths”.

-- The cool look: The new console boasts high-quality materials and a
smart, compact design, approximately the size of three standard DVD
cases stacked together. A variety of prototype colors are being
showcased during E3. It will come with a silver stand that makes the
system a welcome, artistic component of any multimedia setup, whether
it's displayed vertically or horizontally.

Your correct about the system being small, I will give you that. But IMO, it does not even matter much to those beside people living in very cramped spaces (like Japan)…

As far as the “Artistic Colors” The PS3 will come in different colors, and even better, the Xbox360 will be able to have changeable face plates!

And as far as it being an “multimedia set up” of the house… Well what else can it do besides play DVD’s? Is that what Nintendo considers an “Revolution”? Something that the other two consoles have been able to do for years now? IMO, an “multimedia set up” is not an DVD player, but an center-point for all media of the house. Nintendo should look at the Xbox360 and how it integrates with all your gadgets wirelessly such as your MP3 player (including the IPod) your digital camera, video camcorder, and hell! Microsoft even said the you will be able to share information with the PSP, using the Xbox360! Also the computers in your house wirelessly to share information such as digital images, movies, music, and more. Now that is an Multimedia set up!

-- Backward compatibility: The new console plays all games from the
current Nintendo GameCube(TM) generation. But there's more ...

Yes, I would think that the games from the past generation would be able to work on the next-gen systems… Microsoft and Sony both allow it, why wouldn’t Nintendo?

-- The secret weapon: The console also will have downloadable access to
20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for
Nintendo® 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System® (SNES) and
even the Nintendo Entertainment System® (NES).

Revolution users will be able to download classic and new Nintendo games over the Internet. Nintendo cited examples like Donkey Kong and Super Mario Sunshine. But what they haven’t said yet was if the games would be of some kind of monthly subscription fee, or an pay-per-game downloading service… Because, lets face it, they are not going to give users access to games such as Mario Sunshine, and Resident Evil for the GameCube for free to users. It would not make sense, as Nintendo will still make games for the GameCube in the months following the Revolutions lunch, and to give them away for free on another system does not make any sense in an business point of view. Also, as an side note, the Xbox (the original, not 360) already had an online service were you buy/download for free classic games, and play. This feature is continuing to the Xbox360, So nothing really “revolutionary” there from Nintendo also…

-- Easy expansion: A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand
the internal flash memory.

The PS3 has an removable hard drive, for easy storage. And the Xbox360 has an easy to access hard drive (on the side) that would be even easier to store information…. Why use CF cards when hard drives are getting so cheep/small?

-- Two disc formats, one slot: Instead of a tray, a single, innovative,
self-loading media bay will play both 12-centimeter optical discs used
for the new system as well as Nintendo GameCube discs. Owners will
have the option of equipping a small, self-contained attachment to
play movies and other DVD content.

Yay! Its slot loading… But wait, if anyone here has ever been near hardware even just a little bit, they would know that slot-loading drives not only are more likely to scratch the disk, but also break down more often… not very Nintendo-like, since usually they provide the safest way to but games into the system… One of the reasons for the N64 using cartages instead of DVDs, and also why the GameCube was top-loading. And as far as needing an “small attachment” to be able to play DVDs, why do this Nintendo? The other two consoles play DVDs out of the box… It looks like the Xbox360 will even ship with an remote!

-- The specs: The system boasts 512 megabytes of internal flash memory,
wireless controllers, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi access. A
worldwide network of Nintendo players can gather to compete in a
comfortable, inviting environment. Revolution's technological heart,
a processing chip developed with IBM and code-named "Broadway," and a
graphics chip set from ATI code-named "Hollywood," will deliver game
experiences not previously possible.

Yay again 512MBs of Ram, Nintendo did something right… Just wish they would be more specific about the rams speed… 2 USB ports… Yay, but the Xbox360 has many more, and so does the PS3. As far as built in Wi-Fi access, both other consoles have it, but Nintendo has not said the speed of the connection yet, which make me think it might be 802.11b (the slower connection) And lastly they have not revealed much about the video card, beside that it is made by ATI… More room for speculation on to it speed, ect. compared to the other consoles…

-- The stars: Introduction of a number of new franchise properties will
add to the world's richest stable of stars, including Mario, Zelda,
Super Smash Bros., Donkey Kong and Metroid.

Nothing much to say here…
Same old stuff…
Most people want a wider verity of games…

-- Wireless freedom: A number of Wi-Fi-enabled launch titles are in
development that will employ Nintendo's newly announced wireless
gaming service, Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection. A worldwide network of
Nintendo players can gather to compete in a comfortable, inviting
environment.

An number of titles will ship with some online play… O-boy! But wait, all of Xbox360’s titles will be online compatible… and we all know that Microsoft is offering online chat and video with there online service… what about Nintendo… ?

-- Freedom of design: A dynamic development architecture equally
accommodates both big-budget, high-profile game "masterpieces" as well
as indie games conceived by individual developers equipped with only a
big idea.

Have you heard of Microsoft’s XNA…
Blows the water out of anything Nintendo can offer to its few third-part developers…

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone, sorry for the long post just wanted to get to the point that I am very disappointed about Nintendo’s new system… and that I was expecting a lot more when they called it the “revolution”…
PS: anyone figure out what is so revolutionary about the console http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/grin.gif

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 11:16 PM
PS: anyone figure out what is so revolutionary about the console http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/grin.gif

ive got it! it has a blue light in the disc slot!

*eyes get all glossy*

ooooooooooooooo pretttyy

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 11:21 PM
The controller. I must see the controller.

I hear good things.

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 11:24 PM
DevilHacker: Your last post had mentioned whether or not the downloadable games will be free or not and you metioned the game cube games. From what I have gathered, only n64 and earlier will be the downloadable games and access to gamecube games will just be if you own them and stick the disc in your systems. I think there were a couple things that were a little misleading causing it to look how you saw it. That's what I have been able to figure out anyways. I think it will be a free service personally. I think the way they looks at it is that nobody is buying those games anyways so they aren't really losing any money and by giving free access to those games it is going to help draw people in to the Revolution in turn making them money. So i don't really see any reason why they would make it a pay service.

SheepFactory
05-17-2005, 11:33 PM
i'll probably end up buying this just for the next metroid and zelda games but i cant say i am impressed. I hope nintendo will price it nicely like the gamecube cause i am not paying anything over $200 for revolution.

Does anyone know if the resident evil games are still nintendo exclusive?

DevilHacker
05-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Does anyone know if the resident evil games are still nintendo exclusive?
No they are not... They will be on all the systems from what it sounds like!
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

DevilHacker
05-18-2005, 12:24 AM
DevilHacker: Your last post had mentioned whether or not the downloadable games will be free or not and you metioned the game cube games. From what I have gathered, only n64 and earlier will be the downloadable games and access to gamecube games will just be if you own them and stick the disc in your systems. I think there were a couple things that were a little misleading causing it to look how you saw it. That's what I have been able to figure out anyways. I think it will be a free service personally. I think the way they looks at it is that nobody is buying those games anyways so they aren't really losing any money and by giving free access to those games it is going to help draw people in to the Revolution in turn making them money. So i don't really see any reason why they would make it a pay service.
Hey thanks for clearing that up... Thats good to know.
IMO, they (user) will end up paying... But I could be wrong.
http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/shrug.gif
-Have a good day! Looking forward to full official tech specs. http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

PhilOsirus
05-18-2005, 12:25 AM
If Nintendo cares so much about gameplay they should just make games and stop making consoles.

t-man152
05-18-2005, 02:08 AM
If Nintendo cares so much about gameplay they should just make games and stop making consoles.

I have a fealing that if/when the Revolution flops they will stick to handheld consoles

BigCurly
05-18-2005, 02:13 AM
I love how everyone already hates this thing when all anyone has seen is what it looks like. I'm not making any judgements until I have seen it in action.

lovisx
05-18-2005, 02:17 AM
I'm just dissappointed with what I've seen so far. I'm hoping nintendo will knock my sox off, but I'm doubting it.

t-man152
05-18-2005, 02:24 AM
I love how everyone already hates this thing when all anyone has seen is what it looks like. I'm not making any judgements until I have seen it in action.

Im just in shock because they totally dissapointed me. they had a slogan saying "actions speak louder than words" at the start of their Press Conference yet all they did was say how revolutionairy their console is without having great performance next to the other systems. yet they didnt show the controller which is the only part that can be revolutionairy since their system performance wont compare to the XBOX 360 or PS3.

their presentation was dissapointing and as a human being I am biased so when I get dissapointed I prefer companies that dont dissapoint me. this fealing of dissapointment might go away when Nintendo unveils their controller.

BigCurly
05-18-2005, 03:16 AM
Yeah I guess you guys are right. What I'm mad about is that they didn't show the damned thing, really.

NanoGator
05-18-2005, 03:36 AM
It was reported on another site that the Rev's power was greatly understated.

Dunno if that's true or not, but it'd be safe to wait until we start seeing screens.

EpShot
05-18-2005, 03:40 AM
smash bros. online
all the old games

once it hits $150 i'm getting it, thats that.

lovisx
05-18-2005, 02:07 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, nvidia is developing for both the x and the p and therefore ATI is developing solely for nintendo. Hopefully ATI has something good cooking in the kitchen.

Solothores
05-18-2005, 02:12 PM
nah lovisx, the xbox360 GPU is powered by ATI as well.

Gamoron
05-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Have you heard of Microsoft’s XNA…
Blows the water out of anything Nintendo can offer to its few third-part developers…

Yes I have. I attended a press conference for it here in Toronto last year. It was a small intimate thing for developers. Nobody was impressed. I'm an artist so thats no surprise but even the coders shrugged.

I hate to say it but I think the problem with Nintendo right now is old blood. They need to be more forward thinking. Marketing means a lot these days. Their DS commercials are great why don't they apply that kind of thinking to their sneak peaks?

I think thats why we were all surprised by that Nintendo fanboy mock up. We want to see a presentation like that.

mlaoxve
05-18-2005, 02:40 PM
It would seem rather odd if the xbox and revolution had diffrent type of graphic cards, i would guess that they have very similar because of ATI...

TheShow
05-18-2005, 02:59 PM
If you listen closely to Reggie speak in the press confrence, he said that online gaming would be free for games Nintendo develops. He makes no mention that every game played on the revolution will have free online play.

Secondly, the entie Nintendo libraries of the old systems will be available. So while you may be able to play Super Mario Brothers 2, Double Dragon 2 may be out of the question. Futhermore, no one has said anything about these games being free and included right out of the box.

Last, they state specifically that Link is not a Werewolf, but then transformes into one in the twilight world (very similar to his darkworld, bunny shape in Zelda 3).

Gamoron
05-18-2005, 03:01 PM
I just watched some Metroid Prime Hunters stuff. it was pretty damn impressive stuff for a handheld.

That got me thinking.

Maybe Nintendo doesn't give a crap about the console war. Maybe they see it for what it is a dead end.

Think about it. And I know this might start a PC/console flame war...

But this next-gen console war is going to kill PC gaming in a way. The consoles have caught up in graphics quality, and they have the benefit of allowing a user to play with their friends right there in the same room. 4 at a time. Sure you can go to PC Lan parties but you can do that also with your console.

This next-gen is going to kill PC gaming.

Handheld is going to kill console gaming in maybe 5 years. Or they'll merge as one.

It'll catch up to the consoles with graphics. It'll be completely wireless and portable. So it will have the consoles benefits and then some.

All the while Nintendo will be leading that. If they are smart about it that is.

They could **** it up.

They are right now. I'm already asking myself, "why such loyalty to a company that hasn't really done anything to earn it?"

Maybe they will in a few years.

TheShow
05-18-2005, 03:06 PM
PC gaming won't go anywhere. RTS, TBS, as well as some action games will all hold strong on the PC. Perhaps eventually they will meld but, not this time around for sure.

Q_B
05-18-2005, 03:06 PM
(...)
This next-gen is going to kill PC gaming.
(...)

Yeah ... for about a year or so ... then PCs will quickly start catching up, and then in double that time the consoles will be behind. It has been so before, it will be the same now. Every single time the history repeats.

Gamoron
05-18-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't think PC's will bounce ahead. We'll see iterations of better cards on PC's over the next few years. Then there will be another console war. They'll use better tech.

But aside from that, everyone knows developing games for the consoles are where the moneys at. That too will kill PC gaming.

Honestly. One thing that keeps me in PC is online multiplayer gaming. That is now being covered by the consoles.

L.Rawlins
05-18-2005, 04:03 PM
The thing that keeps me PC gaming is the freedom of movement a mouse brings.

Thats why I want to see these new Rev controllers.

And soon. :)

kemijo
05-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I find it interesting that everyone thinks that Nintendo have spilled the beans and told you all there is to know. They haven't. They are holding back whatever the "revolution" is until they unveil the system. What we got from E3 was a tiny peek so we can see that they are working, as opposed to the "unveiling" that surrounded the XBOX 360 and thr PS3.

Sony and Microsoft have completely taken off the covers cuz to be honest (and this is in line with Nintendo's thinking), there isn't much to say. Remember the XBOX and PS2? The new systems are like those, but better in every way. More pixels, more sounds, more power, more everything. That is great news. Now onto the games.

Nintendo has held all along that the specs don't matter, and I completely agree. When buying a new computer, I sweat over the Centrinos and bus speeds and DDR7 and Longhorns and GeFire GXbillion, proprietary names for the same things - better versions of what was available before. in the end, only one thing decides if I am happy with it. How does it perform? Is it faster? Can it do more? I'm certainly not trying to remember if it's a Quadro 1400 or 1450, all I wanna know is, can I tumble a higher poly model faster than before, and do the hardware shadows finally work. After a month I completely forget what's under the hood in the detail I knew before.

It's rather obvious that they are keeping a secret. They haven't shown a controller, which can only be where the real revolution lies (the way you interact with the game will be the revolution, and the DS is the first hint IMO). They haven't shown any games, which could also give away what they have up their sleeves. And to top it off, Sony's BIG news was the PS3. M$'s BIG news was the XBOX 360. Nintendo's...a new entry to an age old series for a current gen system. THAT was what they saved for last. If their big news was whatever their Revolution was, don't you think that would have been last? Everything they've shown for the Revo is just a little icing here and there to keep us interested...the blowout will come much later, just before you can buy your 360 and PS3 just to find out "yep...it sure is faster, and the graphics sure are better." Hopefully it will surpass our expectations (which is a tall order).

That said, I'm not counting any of them out, simply cuz games I love will be on all systems so I'll be forced to get them all (again). I am so happy that there are companies that can compete with Nintendo in the console arena, cuz Sega was doing well and then they lost their footing. I am silently routing for Nintendo though, not to "win" persay (I could care less who sells what) but cuz they wanna do something different. In the videogame industry, it's about time. Between Atari/Intellivision/Coleco/Vectrex and NES there was a video game crash. Nintendo reinvented console gaming and they're trying to do it again, so I hope they succeed.

There WILL be a video game revolution at some point. I think someone somewhere is gonna rock the boat and everyone is going to follow suit. If it's happening in the coming generation, Nintendo is most likely (obviously not Sony or Microsoft, as they have already laid their plans and it's what we expected), but it might not be Nintendo after all. If they don't deliver this time around, it may happen next gen or later, and it could come from somewhere unexpected.

bleeper
05-18-2005, 04:48 PM
PC gaming won't go anywhere. RTS, TBS, as well as some action games will all hold strong on the PC.
Sounds like a great way to stagnate and eventually kill off PC gaming. :thumbsup::twisted:

heavyness
05-26-2005, 08:16 PM
nintendo posted their earnings...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/26/news_6126572.html

TOKYO--Nintendo today announced a net profit of 87.42 billion yen ($809 million) for the business year ended March 31, 2005, a figure more than two and a half times that of the 33.19 billion yen ($307 million) earned in fiscal year 2004.

rendermania
05-26-2005, 08:36 PM
But aside from that, everyone knows developing games for the consoles are where the moneys at. That too will kill PC gaming.

With 1billion PC users project by 2010, PC gaming ain't going anywhere buddy. I also want to see how consoles with only 512MB RAM will cope with true nextgen games. I don't see that happening. PCs will pull ahead of these consoles technologically within a year max, and you can already buy things like gfx cards with dual 6800 GPUs. A lot of harcore gamers will stay with PC for a lot of reasons.

Recursive
05-26-2005, 08:47 PM
nintendo posted their earnings...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/26/news_6126572.html

But everyone keeps telling me nintendo is about to die???? Oh, i'm so confused....

lovisx
05-26-2005, 08:51 PM
I just wish more of that profit was going into development... but we shall see, their controller better be kick ass.

Gamoron
05-26-2005, 10:44 PM
With 1billion PC users project by 2010, PC gaming ain't going anywhere buddy. I also want to see how consoles with only 512MB RAM will cope with true nextgen games. I don't see that happening. PCs will pull ahead of these consoles technologically within a year max, and you can already buy things like gfx cards with dual 6800 GPUs. A lot of harcore gamers will stay with PC for a lot of reasons.

Whats the projected number of console users?

Having worked 2 years in the gaming industry and with 3 published titles under my belt, I can tell you that developing for PC's is dumb. Its one huge hassle. And the company I worked for was more keen on moving into consoles.

How many of those 1 billion PC users are still running win95/98?

Also
I too enjoy the freedom of a mouse.

HellBoy
05-27-2005, 05:56 PM
what took me so long?

have you noticed this, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo don't want their new consoles to look like classic style,

http://www.bwf.be/images/interviews/big/5--dreamcast.JPG

they want to make it look like as futuristic as possible huh

what am I talking about? :argh: :surprised :blush:

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2005, 05:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.