PDA

View Full Version : Outline

Harrad
10-11-2002, 12:39 AM
This might be a stupid question but i'm going to ask it anyway!

say i've got a pic (of a man) and it has an alpha channel, how can i use the alpha to make a black line (say 10px thick) around him? Similar to the stroke feature in PS. I've looked every where and there is no option to do this. I have also tried "findedges" with a "tolerence" filter on it but it only makes a line 1-2 px thick.

thank you for any help or ideas...

-Matt :D

dobermunk
10-11-2002, 12:00 PM
I'm all ears, too.

iTHiNK
10-11-2002, 06:52 PM
I'm all ears for a simple solution as well, but you can do it with just yout alpha if you duplicate it a few times.

Invert the alpha and use this layer to mask a solid of your choosing for the stroke. Now make a copy of the alpha and use the MATTE>Simple choker plugin to expand the matte. Use this in a subcomp as an alpha for the color you have for your stroke.

Are you able to follow that? If it needs more explanation let me know.

Good luck!

anthonymcgrath
10-21-2002, 10:06 AM
you should try the vegas plugin
effect/render/vegas with the following options:

'IMAGE CONTOURS'
'input layer' - to the layer you want to affect

'channel' - switch this to alpha (obviously your image needs an alpha for this to work!)

SEGMENTS
'segments' - currently set at 32. switch it to 1

RENDERING

'end opacity' - 1.0

theres a stack of other options in there too to affect only certain colour ranges or the width of the stroke. even translate the stroke around a shape. I'll probably use it at least once in a job!

dobermunk
10-21-2002, 10:41 AM
Will try this, thanks.

Your site looks great, Anthony. That sperm is a real go-getter. Any of those animations up for download? The room looks really interesting, for example.

anthonymcgrath
10-21-2002, 10:51 AM
hehehe thanks but thats the company's website. I didn't even know my animation were up on the website! I've yet to set up my own homepage for my own work but theroom is a short film I'm doing for my own personal amusement really. nothing too complex in terms of char animation. I'll try and get what I've got so far up on the web somewhere later today and I'll post up when a msg when I'm done as soon as this bloody soccer trading card cg job naffs off!!

anthonymcgrath
10-21-2002, 10:53 AM
actually, just found a link on my skating website with some of the room animation. its only about 10seconds but should give you an idea.

http://www.truspin.com/vic/theroom.avi

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.