PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Details!!

Pages : [1] 2

Lord3d2
05-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also supporrd CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R. It also confirmed the machine would be backwards compatible all the way to the original PlayStation.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz, a detachable 2.5 inch HDD slot, six usb 2.0 ports, Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, a compact flash memory slot, Compact flash slot, 2 hdmi outputs, 1 av multi out, 1 SPDIF optical output, and 1-gigabit Ethernet built in port

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "Super computer for computer entertainment."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

tozz
05-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Holy crap, that was more than I would ask for, got damnit, give me one now!

Lord3d2
05-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. It also has over 300 million transistors lager than any processor available commercially today. It was manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "Super computer for computer entertainment."

StephD
05-16-2005, 11:32 PM
any pics somewhere ?

Lord3d2
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Very Soon!

Lord3d2
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
According to Hirai, PlayStation 3 (now confirmed as the official title, apparently) will feature dual HD outputs. The supplied controllers are wireless, as stated earlier and use Bluetooth as a connection. These last 24 hours on batteries. The PSP will be a major bonus for PS3 owners. You can have remote access to your PS3 from your PSP, and you can even use a Wi-Fi connection within PS3 to use your PSP as a controller for a PS3 game. PlayStation 3 also features a "built-in network cap".

Shade01
05-16-2005, 11:37 PM
I still remember when the PS2 'Reality Engine' was supposed to allow animatable hair strands and fiber, minute facial animations only seen in films like Final Fantasy :rolleyes:

Now here I am at my desk wondering if I've crammed in one too many 64x64 textures.

StephD
05-16-2005, 11:38 PM
these pics seem official :

http://img239.echo.cx/img239/9127/39ry.jpg

L.Rawlins
05-16-2005, 11:41 PM
I do hope they're not.

Lord3d2
05-16-2005, 11:45 PM
http://img167.echo.cx/img167/52/ps33qv.jpg

niceee

L.Rawlins
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
George Foreman would be proud.

'The Lean Mean Gaming Machine'... if you will.

-Vormav-
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
I still remember when the PS2 'Reality Engine' was supposed to allow animatable hair strands and fiber, minute facial animations only seen in films like Final Fantasy :rolleyes:
Yeah, and it could render Toy Story in real time. ;)
I'm just going to wait and see how this thing actually performs when consumers get their hands on it before buying into the hype, personally. But it is sounding nice so far.

tozz
05-16-2005, 11:54 PM
To show off the PlayStation 3's graphical brawn, Sony showed several game demos, including an Unreal 3 tech demo of what appeared to be Unreal Tournament 2007. In what must come as a relief to developers, Epic Games' Tim Sweeney was on hand to vouch for the PS3, saying it was "easy to program for" and that Epic had received its first PS3 hardware two months ago. He proved the tech demo was real time by showing it again and manipulating the camera and zooming in

Easy to program for... woot woot :D

H2
05-16-2005, 11:57 PM
is that official??? looks very nice indeed if it is!

itsallgoode9
05-16-2005, 11:59 PM
yeah it was confirmed...man i like those...especially that white one.

Lord3d2
05-16-2005, 11:59 PM
New Pioc

http://img91.echo.cx/img91/2413/ps335ze.jpg

SpeccySteve
05-17-2005, 12:00 AM
This is all very nice but can someone show me the games?

That's why I bought a PS2 instead of an Xbox/Cube after all, good selection of high quality titles over all the genres, backwards compatible was a bonus too.

That silver one would look nice sat on my new telly though..

NickBFTD
05-17-2005, 12:02 AM
I do hope they're not.

me too, mainly because i hate slot-in cd drives though, and it has a step in it.

Stillwell
05-17-2005, 12:02 AM
Hah, I love it. As the proud owner of an XBox, I like the PS3 design more than the 360 design :D

But I will probably end up buying the PS3 along with the 360 anyways.

PaulAdams
05-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I like, but why have they used the Spider-Man 2 font across the machine?

Stillwell
05-17-2005, 12:05 AM

Argh damn you, I won't be able to see anything else now!

strator
eehe this is so true i will never see it the same way as before! lol!

NickBFTD

i was about to say the same thing.

Lord3d2
Another pic

http://img97.echo.cx/img97/5632/ps341wf.jpg

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 12:08 AM
speaking of spiderman just read this on IGN :

.....They also ran the computer generated Spider-Man model from the actual Spider-Man 2 movie in real-time on PS3. Amazing.

talking about a tech demo they did

Shrink
05-17-2005, 12:08 AM
I'd love it if it were bigger than the 360 - it'll be the Xbox fanboys complaining about the bricks.. hehe... turning tables.

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Another new pic

http://img250.echo.cx/img250/9871/ps354gz.jpg

Swizzle
05-17-2005, 12:09 AM
I like, but why have they used the Spider-Man 2 font across the machine?Ha! You beat me to it. I was wondering why they were using the same font that Spider Man did. It's rather odd considering that they're still using that really boxy PS2 font on any ads and stuff I've seen.

Regarding the design of the "PS3's" in those pictures: it's terrible!I keep thinking of a football when I look at them. Yuck. Those aren't official, are they?

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Another

http://img70.echo.cx/img70/9949/ps363sy.jpg

H2
05-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Shape reminds me of my Epson printer , not that its a bad thing, i think it looks very stylish

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Very modern (thats the word, right)?

How am I doing on posting the pics?

I think thats it

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Controller Pic

http://img7.echo.cx/img7/6793/050517i12zd.jpg

daedalu$
05-17-2005, 12:17 AM
As for games:

- Gran Turismo 5 has just been announced.

- Metal Gear Solid 4 has been announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive!

- A representative from Capcom has just announced Devil May Cry 4 as a PlayStation 3 exclusive!

- Square Enix has just shown off a Final Fantasy VII tech demo for the PlayStation 3, but they did not announce a specific game for it. Yet.

- A Getaway sequel has just been announced for PS3.

- A realtime demo of the Unreal 3 engine was shown.

- Next Grand Theft Auto is exclusive to PlayStation 3.

- This one is kinda funny: Activision announced a Spiderman game for PS3.

And another bunch of tiles that were shown:
# Tekken -- Namco.
# Killzone -- Guerilla
# Vision Gran Turismo -- Polyphony Digital
# Formula One -- Sony Liverpool
# Untitled Old West Game -- Rockstar
# Oh-Ni -- Koei
# Mobile Suit Gundam -- Bandai
# Super Gory Wolfensdtein Style FPS -- Insomniac
# PYEdentify Voice Recognition Game -- SCEA
# Fifth Phantom Saga -- Sega
# Heavenly Sword -- Sony
# Warhawk -- Incognito
# Killing Day -- Ubisoft
# Motor Storm -- Evolution

DevilHacker
05-17-2005, 12:18 AM
WOW…
Judging from an combination of photos and tech specs… I can easily say I am going for the 360. Anyone else hate that design if the system? It reminds me of the design of the DS units originally shown… And an personal thanks to whoever pointed out that the “PS3” Logo is the Spiderman text… All I will be able to think about when I see it!

Anyone else see that it only has 256MB of Ram? :D
LOL

NickBFTD
05-17-2005, 12:19 AM
where are the other 4 usb ports ? looks like the part to the left of the cd drive lifts up (notice the nobles gor grip) must be under there ? along with the memory card ports.

it looks like a rounded out ps2 with the overhang and everything.

Swizzle
05-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Very modern (thats the word, right)?

How am I doing on posting the pics?

I think thats itI suppose it looks 'modern'. I agree that it looks like a printer.

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Official Press Release

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. To Launch its Next Generation Computer Entertainment System, PLAYSTATION 3 in Spring 2006

Unrivaled Performance with the Introduction of Cell Processor and Many Advanced Technologies, and Backwards compatible with PlayStation® and PlayStation®2

Los Angeles, CALIF., May 16, 2005 – At a press conference held in Los Angeles, California, today, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) revealed the outline of its PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) computer entertainment system, incorporating the world's most advanced Cell processor with super computer like power. Prototypes of PS3 will also be showcased at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), the world's largest interactive entertainment exhibition held in Los Angeles, from May 18th to 20th.

PS3 combines state-of-the-art technologies featuring Cell, a processor jointly developed by IBM, Sony Group and Toshiba Corporation, graphics processor (RSX) co-developed by NVIDIA Corporation and SCEI, and XDR memory developed by Rambus Inc. It also adopts BD-ROM (Blu-ray Disc ROM) with maximum storage capacity of 54 GB (dual layer) , enabling delivery of entertainment content in full high-definition (HD) quality, under a secure environment made possible through the most advanced copyright protection technology. To match the accelerating convergence of digital consumer electronics and computer technology, PS3 supports high quality display in resolution of 1080p(*) as standard, which is far superior to 720p/1080i.

With an overwhelming computing power of 2 teraflops, entirely new graphical expressions that have never been seen before will become possible. In games, not only will movement of characters and objects be far more refined and realistic, but landscapes and virtual worlds can also be rendered in real-time, thereby elevating the freedom of graphics expression to levels not experienced in the past. Gamers will literally be able to dive into the realistic world seen in large screen movies and experience the excitement in real-time.

In 1994, SCEI launched the original PlayStation® (PS), followed by PlayStation®2 (PS2) in 2000 and PlayStation®Portable (PSP®) in 2004, every time introducing the latest advancement in technology and bringing innovation to the interactive entertainment software creation. Over 13,000 titles have been developed by now, creating a software market that sells more than 250 million copies annually. PS3 offers backward compatibility enabling gamers to enjoy these enormous assets from PS and PS2 platforms.

PlayStation family of products are sold in more than 120 countries and regions around the world. With cumulative shipments reaching more than 102 million for PS and approximately 89 million for PS2, they are the undisputed leaders and have become the standard platform for home entertainment. After 12 years from the introduction of the original PS and 6 years from the launch of PS2, SCEI brings PS3, the newest platform with the most advanced next generation computer entertainment technology.

With the delivery of Cell based development tools that has already begun, development of game titles as well as tools and middleware are in progress. Through collaboration with world's leading tools and middleware companies, SCEI will offer full support to new content creation by providing developers with extensive tools and libraries that will bring out the power of the Cell processor and enable efficient software development.

Preparations are under way for launch of PS3 and new generation software in the spring of 2006. (*)1080p/720p/1080i: "p" stands for progressive scan method, "i" stands for interlace method. 1080p is the highest resolution within the HD standard.

"SCEI has continuously brought innovation to the world of computer entertainment, such as real-time 3D computer graphics on PlayStation and the world's first 128 bit processor Emotion Engine (EE) for PlayStation 2. Empowered by the Cell processor with super computer like performance, a new age of PLAYSTATION 3 is about to begin. Together with content creators from all over the world, SCEI will accelerate the arrival of a new era in computer entertainment." Ken Kutaragi, President and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc..

Supporting comments from third party developers and publishers (In alphabetical order of company name)

"With the new generation PlayStation platform, we can create "GUNDAM WORLD" with the quality no one has ever imagined. The philosophy, connecting millions of Cell together, makes reality get closer to the world of SF films. We are delighted to share the vision of Ken, ARCHITECT, Kutaragi." Shin Unozawa, Managing Director, Leader, Game Software Group, President, Video Game Company, BANDAI CO.,LTD.

"The PLAYSTATION 3 has us really excited! So much so in fact that we are already working our hardest to get Devil May Cry 4 out for this new platform. New hardware always yields more options for developers to create exciting and fresh gameplay experiences. I believe that the PS3 is one piece of hardware that will test the mettle of our development team and help us to create some of the most amazing games, limited only by our imagination." Keiji Inafune, Managing Executive Officer, Research & Development Division, Capcom Co., Ltd.

"Each generation of PlayStation has made a dramatic improvement in how we create and play videogames. PLAYSTATION 3 will be a breakthrough in how the world experiences entertainment. EA is fully aligned with Sony Computer Entertainment – we share their vision and applaud their success. " Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO, Electronic Arts

"President Kutaragi has thrown down a gauntlet. That gauntlet is called the PLAYSTATION 3. We here at Koei have gladly taken up the challenge, and are striving day and night to take full advantage of all the PS3's new possibilities. Our goal is to combine cutting-edge technology with a full range of artistic expression to deliver the ultimate form of entertainment, and please people everywhere." Keiko Erikawa, Chairman & C.E.O., KOEI Co., Ltd.

"With the arrival of the next generation computer entertainment system PLAYSTATION 3, I believe it will be possible for graphic expressions, more beautiful than before, to coexist with more deep and evolved game play which utilize the Cell architecture. I also have high expectations for the evolution by the online features that will be enhanced. We will utilize the features of the new platform and will strive to create contents that will bring new excitement for our users world wide, so please have high hopes for Konami. " Kazumi Kitaue, CEO, Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc

"Each time SCEI launches a console, the video games business moves to the next level. With PLAYSTATION 3 it looks as if it might be time for interactive entertainment to become, finally, the world's dominant artistic medium. " Sam Houser, President, Rockstar Games (Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.)

"We at Namco have used and will continue to use the advancements in audio-visual technology to deliver games that are not only appealing to the eyes and ears, but that stir emotions, speak to the heart, and remain in players' minds for years to come. We are confident that the PLAYSTATION 3 is an entertainment system that will enable us to do just that." Shigeru Yokoyama, CT Company President, Namco Ltd.

Hisao Oguchi, President and Chief Operating Officer, SEGA Corporation "Next-generation hardware platforms will enable SEGA to create new game concepts that offer more immersive interactive experiences. SEGA continues to pursue the fusion of creativity and technology by publishing only the best, more innovative content to gamers around the world."

Yoichi Wada, President, SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. "Square Enix is extremely honored to have had the chance to provide you with this technical demonstration of what the Cell processor can bring to the PLAYSTATION 3 and the world of gaming. We are committed to fully backing SCEI's new computer entertainment system and plans to bring the FINAL FANTASY series to the PS3 are just beyond the horizon."

Yves Guillemot, President and CEO, Ubisoft "Ubisoft was one of the first major international developers to have its teams start focusing on next generation consoles. We are looking forward to developing outstanding games on Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s new system. Its powerful features will help take the industry to an even higher level in the very near future."

PLAYSTATION®3 Specifications Product name PLAYSTATION®3 CPU Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz 1 VMX vector unit per core 512KB L2 cache 7 x SPE @3.2GHz 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance : 218 GFLOPS

GPU RSX @550MHz 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth Main RAM 25.6GB/s VRAM 22.4GB/s RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read) SB 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

System Floating Point Performance 2 TFLOPS

Storage HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1

I/O USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0) Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1 SD standard/mini x 1 CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1

Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2) Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Controller Bluetooth (up to 7) USB2.0 (wired) Wi-Fi (PSP®) Network (over IP)

AV Output Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p HDMI HDMI out x 2 Analog AV MULTI OUT x 1 Digital audio DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1

Disc media * read only CD PlayStation® CD-ROM PlayStation®2 CD-ROM CD-DA CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW SACD SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD DualDisc DualDisc (audio side),DualDisc DVD side)

DVD PlayStation®2 DVD-ROM PLAYSTATION®3 DVD-ROM DVD-Video DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Blu-ray Disc PLAYSTATION®3 BD-ROM BD-Video BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

splintah
05-17-2005, 12:21 AM
i wonder if linux or osx will run on it

another funny/interesting thing:
all three upcoming consoles are based on IBM cpus

NickBFTD
05-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Controller Pic

O HELL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

strator
05-17-2005, 12:23 AM
i realy dont like the control .. dont look comfortable at all :(

Stillwell
05-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Hah, I love it. As the proud owner of an XBox, I like the PS3 design more than the 360 design :D

But I will probably end up buying the PS3 along with the 360 anyways.

I'm quoting myself to say that since I saw the controller, I probably won't end up buying it. I mean come on, imagine this.

You're pissed off at a game, throw the controller and then it magically comes back in your hand. Yeah.

itsallgoode9

man that's what I Thought...egh:D it looks like one of those cheap generic pc controllers which sorta try to be a video game controller

Renderman_XSI

This looks so like a third party controller design. Give me my Dual Shock 2 back!!

I dont mind console design..but this controller is butt ugly(most people here can design better controllers)

ozhaver
05-17-2005, 12:27 AM
ANOTHER PLAYSTATION?!

WILL THEY EVER STOP THIS BEHAVIOR?

>_<

They should give you something for the OLD playstation you bought...it did cost some hundreds...and once they new one is out they lose their prize...

I mean, wait some years you know...I have barely gotten to use mine and WTF is wrong with games nowadays??? SO short and all graphics...no *guts* to storyline...BORING.

Kion
05-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Anyone else see that it only has 256MB of Ram

read the press release
Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz 2 diffrent types of ram together equal 512 megs

NickBFTD
05-17-2005, 12:30 AM
This looks so like a third party controller design. Give me my Dual Shock 2 back!!

I dont mind console design..but this controller is butt ugly(most people here can design better controllers)

all they needed to do was take the dualshock 2 and change the L2/R2 buttons for triggers and it would have been perfect, this is like changing a round wheel for a square one.

Jozvex
05-17-2005, 12:31 AM
I guess the sticky-out bits of the controller are supposed to be for the rest of your hand to hold onto while you use your thumbs but........I don't like it either.

One big reason why I don't like the XBox are that it's controls are really big and bulky, (I have small hands hehe) and the PS2 controls are fine. These ones aren't exactly bulky but it'd be nice if you could detach the extra 50 metres of plastic they've got there for handles.

:hmm:

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:33 AM
oz haver (member.php?u=138272), did you check out the details?

They are amazing!

H2
05-17-2005, 12:36 AM
What have they done to the dual shock..

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 12:38 AM
ANOTHER PLAYSTATION?!

WILL THEY EVER STOP THIS BEHAVIOR?

>_<

They should give you something for the OLD playstation you bought...it did cost some hundreds...and once they new one is out they lose their prize...

I mean, wait some years you know...I have barely gotten to use mine and WTF is wrong with games nowadays??? SO short and all graphics...no *guts* to storyline...BORING.

dude, whats your problem..its only the third Playstation(not counting PSP). Beside why arent you complianing about Pokeman or Final Fantasy(as if we didnt have enough of them :P ) Also the PS2 is like what 5 years old..its time for a new one, IMO..why arent you complaining about the short lived life cycle of the XBOX? :P

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 12:42 AM
all they needed to do was take the dualshock 2 and change the L2/R2 buttons for triggers and it would have been perfect, this is like changing a round wheel for a square one.

I sure as hope they make a wireless Dual Shock controller, if not i probably wont buy a PS3 at all..that design is UNACCEPTABLE by my standard.

The nice thing is, they have alot of major third party support= more games to pick from. The showing of games seems to be better than XBox 360 MTV unveiling.

DevilHacker
05-17-2005, 12:45 AM
LOL, agreed

SpeccySteve
05-17-2005, 12:45 AM
As for games:

- Gran Turismo 5 has just been announced.

- Metal Gear Solid 4 has been announced as a PlayStation 3 exclusive!

- A representative from Capcom has just announced Devil May Cry 4 as a PlayStation 3 exclusive!

- Square Enix has just shown off a Final Fantasy VII tech demo for the PlayStation 3, but they did not announce a specific game for it. Yet.

- A Getaway sequel has just been announced for PS3.

- A realtime demo of the Unreal 3 engine was shown.

- Next Grand Theft Auto is exclusive to PlayStation 3.

Ta, see until I actually know what 2 terragigaflopygons means this is the bit I'm actually interested in.

Actually since we have all this fancy new graphics tech, anyone fancy making "Freespace3" ? I'd buy that , or a free online elite with next-gen techno fancy?

mikecarry
05-17-2005, 12:46 AM
That controller makes baby Jesus cry.

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:46 AM
New Pic

http://img170.echo.cx/img170/981/ps365dq.jpg

PhilOsirus
05-17-2005, 12:47 AM
That console design is super slick! Man I am getting the black one:) But the controller is a bit weird, hopefully is it comfortable. Check the different colors on the link below.

Check all the pictures here! (http://www.jeux-france.com/news10132.html)

NickBFTD
05-17-2005, 12:47 AM
i couldn't play on that controller thing as soon as i got it in my hands i would have to snap it in half.

Solothores
05-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Some first Screenshots of Killzone (PS3)

http://www.nexgam.de/images/screenshots/newsbilder/ps3/killzone.jpg
http://www.nexgam.de/images/screenshots/newsbilder/ps3/killzone2.jpg
http://www.nexgam.de/images/screenshots/newsbilder/ps3/killzone3.jpg

and a first shot of First Night (PS3)
http://www.nexgam.de/images/screenshots/newsbilder/ps3/fightnight.jpg

cheers
Solo

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Wow there is so many people in this thread!!!

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Some first Screenshots of Killzone (PS3)

cheers
Solo

wow..forget Halo 3, we got KillZone 3, MGS4, RE5, GTA Next ..eat your heart out Bill gates(trying to release Halo 3 on the same day as PS3..lol)

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614699/ea-sports-fight-night-round-3-20050516050446674.jpg

"At the Sony E3 2005 press conference Square-Enix just showed a Final Fantasy VII trailer running on PS3.

The demo depicted the introduction sequence to the original Final Fantasy VII, but was titled "Technical Demo for PS3." This means that it may or may not turn into an actual game. The PS3 can finally deliver Final Fantasy the way it was meant to be delivered -- just like the CG cutscenes.

The demonstration was a complete recreation of the beginning to Final Fantasy VII using some "awesome, awesome" graphics. It's an exact duplicate of the original game. It could even be a full recreation.

UPDATE: There will not be a Final Fantasy VII remake for PS3. Repeat, there will not be a remake. But, there will be a new Final Fantasy game. We'll have info on that as it happens."

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 12:54 AM
wow, firstly to the person that pointed out the spidey font, thats exactly what I was thinking when I first saw the console.

secondly to the controller, that looks disgusting.. absolutely terrible... there was one controller design I saw on IGN a bit back where the right analog stick was replaced with a mouse ball (you know the kind logitech uses that you move around with your fingers.. the red ones) anyways that looked like a grand idea..

all else they need is perhaps better pressure sensitivity for the buttons, maybe even pinky triggers (l4/r4 anyone?) and like i said above, the ball thing for the r.a.s

but ya stillwell, thats EXACTLY what I thought when I saw that.. :D

as per the console i think it looks grand..

but what in gods name is gddr vram?!!?

oh and there will be NO ff7 for ps3, official from ign.

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Over 300 people in this thread!

Wow

Anyways, I like the look, yes its spiderman font but I can live with it.

Tommorow is Nintendo Revolution Day!

NickBFTD
are those killzone screens confirmed as in-game or otherwise, if they are in-game i can overlook that pad.

PhilOsirus
Haha everyone said "it's the games that matter!", and now that the PS3 has the games "it's the controller!". Wait to get some feedback from people who used it at least:p BTW it is backward compatible with PS1 and PS2 games.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 12:57 AM
ok ya i agree with nickbftd, if those kz are ingame I dont care if im playing on a controler thats shaped like a turd...

the pants on the boxers looks kinda funky.. :D

ohh, tomorrow is revolution? wow what a freakin exciting week! i need a bucket!

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 12:57 AM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614726/devil-may-cry-4-20050516054232778.jpg

and

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614733/warhawk-ps3-20050516054519909.jpg

NickBFTD
05-17-2005, 12:59 AM
ok ya i agree with nickbftd, if those kz are ingame I dont care if im playing on a controler thats shaped like a turd...

its a bananarang.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 01:00 AM
its a bananarang.

i will forever remember that! :D I am truly gonna carve that into my controller, haha

EDIT: btw, you know somethings popular when you got almost 600 people in the thread... haha.

Solothores
05-17-2005, 01:01 AM
Another shot

Warhawk(PS3)
http://www.nexgam.de/images/screenshots/newsbilder/ps3/warhawk.jpg

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 01:02 AM
Here you go

http://www.nexgam.de/images/screenshots/newsbilder/ps3/warhawk.jpg

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 01:06 AM
Is this the most CG talk has ever had in a thread before

OVER 600!!!

BillB
05-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Those product shots look awful pretty - and awful CG. Wonder how the final treatment will look - plastic? metal? brushed titanium? (Hey, I can dream) Bet it ends up being cheap plastic.

But who cares, as long as it doesn't break down after a few months *cough* ps2 *cough* ;)

Bring on the games!

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 01:10 AM
are those killzone screens confirmed as in-game or otherwise, if they are in-game i can overlook that pad.

this might answer your question:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614708p1.html

"E3 2005: PS3 Games
A damn load of new games were just shown and they look incredible.
by Ivan Sulic

May 16, 2005 - Sony just demonstrated clips of a bunch of new PS3 games that were supposedly all real-time and all incredible.

We'll have full reports on all of these games within the next few hours, but right now the list looks a little something like,

# Tekken -- Namco.

# Killzone -- Guerilla

# Vision Gran Turismo -- Polyphony Digital

# Formula One -- Sony Liverpool

# Untitled Old West Game -- Rockstar

# Oh-Ni -- Koei

# Mobile Suit Gundam -- Bandai

# Devil May Cry 4 -- Capcom

# Super Gory Wolfensdtein Style FPS -- Insomniac

# Metal Gear Solid 4 -- Konami

# PYEdentify Voice Recognition Game -- SCEA

# Fifth Phantom Saga -- Sega

# Heavenly Sword -- Sony

# Warhawk -- Incognito

# Killing Day -- Ubisoft

# Motor Storm -- Evolution

We'll have more details as they come."

Oh-Ni - Koei probably meant ONI

PhilOsirus
05-17-2005, 01:11 AM
Remember Sony said the console was not the final design, but close.

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 01:12 AM
More Pics

http://www.nexgam.de/images/screenshots/newsbilder/ps3/killzone3.jpg

and

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 01:12 AM

But most people dont mean the console..its the controller they are having problems with..please bring back my Dual Shock 2.

heavyness
05-17-2005, 01:13 AM

http://nnlm.gov/ner/newsletter/6/boomerang.gif

http://img167.echo.cx/img167/52/ps33qv.jpg

http://www.tabletools.com/ttools/images/std_img/20001.jpg

...i liked the PS2, and lets all hope they go back to the original duel shock controllers. but if it is as powerful as they say, and those are the graphics, dammmn.

PhilOsirus
05-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Supposedly the controllers don't exist! These are only mock up designs... Anyone at E3 confirm this is real or not! The more I look at the controller the less sense it makes, how can you reach for the analogue sticks and shoulder buttons?

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 01:15 AM
ya.. actually can anyone at e3 confirm the actual ps3 design..? like is it on display somewhere?

thinking of it now, i think they shoulda went with roman numerals for the number this time... that would be neat..

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 01:16 AM
Close?

But it's so completely uninspired! If you look at the lines... it IS a PS2. Bar a convex enclosure and the number '3'.

:shrug:

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 01:16 AM

i'm thinking maybe they just temporarily had the spiderman font on there since they produced the movie and some of thier demos were spiderman demos???? I can't really see them leaving somthing so noticable on there

PhilOsirus
05-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Yeah I'm pretty sure this is not the final design, as much as I like the console design itself (the black colored one especially). I think we'll have to wait for the final design!

Update: Actually all pics say design is subject to change. This isn't the final design, especially considering the lack of a logo.

Lord3d2
05-17-2005, 01:19 AM
To show off the PlayStation 3's graphical brawn, Sony showed several game demos, including an Unreal 3 tech demo of what appeared to be Unreal Tournament 2007. In what must come as a relief to developers, Epic Games' Tim Sweeney was on hand to vouch for the PS3, saying it was "easy to program for" and that Epic had received its first PS3 hardware two months ago. He proved the tech demo was real time by showing it again and by manipulating the camera and zooming in.

However, Sweeney's words were only the beginning. Later, Sony trotted out a whole host of publishers that are backing the PlayStation 3. And in the process, it confirmed several games for the console. Hideo Kojima introduced Konami's Metal Gear Solid 4, Capcom showed off Devil May Cry 4, Namco unveiled Tekken 6, Polyphony Digital trotted out Gran Turismo 5, SCEE showed off a brutal section of the next Killzone, and Rockstar Games mentioned that a Grand Theft Auto would be released for the console.

novadude
05-17-2005, 01:21 AM
624 people staring in horror at that bananrang

I almost cannot believe what happened with this generation of consoles. Microsoft knocks Sony for relying on memory cards, then puts memory cards on the XBox360. Sony knocks MS for unorthodox design that doesn't stack, then procedes to make the rounded PS3. Sony knocks MS for the original controller (which I liked [rather large hands]), then releases the bananarang concept. What gives?

NickBFTD
05-17-2005, 01:22 AM
this GTA game doesnt sound like its going to be GTA4, a stop gap game maybe ?

SheepFactory
05-17-2005, 01:27 AM
They better have a alternative to that dildo looking controller :\

I am not believing any of those screenshots until i see them moving :)

FlyByNight
05-17-2005, 01:30 AM
wow... i LOVE this industry,,, this has got to be the most buzzzing time iv ever seen the cg industry (in my short experience)......

interesting design... i like the console... dislike the pad... same as evryone...

these beasts of machines taht are coming out are scaring me... too much power.. the wave of games is too much... you cant tempt me like this... ill never LEAVE MY ROOM AGAIN!!

why would i want to?? it looks much better in these games anyway...

novadude
05-17-2005, 01:31 AM
They better have a alternative to that dildo looking controller :\

I am not believing any of those screenshots until i see them moving :)

Forget alternative, they should scrap every thought of that thing MIB style :)
and ditto on the second part.

Nominator
05-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Forget alternative, they should scrap every thought of that thing MIB style :)
and ditto on the second part.

Dude the PSP is a remote for the PS3, bet u cant find a better looking control than that ;)
Its wirless using Wi-FI and imagine what the screen will be used for :|

Crithon
05-17-2005, 01:37 AM
Your kidding me..... that's the controller? Your kidding me? Ugh! I don't mind the design of the console, but the controller looks like the Microsoft Sidewinder

http://www.artemiscomputers.com/catalog/images/486-00074%20Microsoft%20SideWinder%20Game%20Pad%20USB%20L.jpg

There is so much I could write about the Sony Dualshock 1 and 2 controller.... but even I was shocked when I first saw the controller in the pages of Gamepro. I would rant on for hours hating the deisgn.... that was till I got in my hands. So who knows? So far I'm shocked that made the controller's design, hope it's still a rough design concept.

So wait a minute, Is FFXII a PS3 game? Or is it a tech demo like they did back in 2000 for the PS2 they showed clips of Final Fantasy - Spirits Within?

So far, that game line up is impressive.

Prototype_Angel
i love that white one!

wonder if square enix, final fantasy series will be produce in playstation3 or not

L.Rawlins
'Dude the PSP is a remote for the PS3, bet u cant find a better looking control than that ;)
Its wirless using Wi-FI and imagine what the screen will be used for :|'

Well then if I lost my remote for the PS3 I'd be pissed.

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 01:42 AM
i love that white one!

wonder if square enix, final fantasy series will be produce in playstation3 or not

yes, Square Enix plans on producing FF series on PS3.

http://www.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0505/17/news019.html

PhilOsirus
05-17-2005, 01:49 AM
Gamespot doesn't show one picture of the controller:p

LiquidMetal
05-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Wow.That controller is wacky.Not only are we going to play games,but we can become bommerang(sp?) champions.EAT THAT AUSTRALIA!!Seriously,this week is very exciting.I cant wait till all new consoles get released and we start playing.Hopefully,the next gen pictures from current games are improved because they dont look to impressive especially for all the hype connected to the new consoles.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Wow.That controller is wacky.Not only are we going to play games,but we can become bommerang(sp?) champions.EAT THAT AUSTRALIA!!Seriously,this week is very exciting.I cant wait till all new consoles get released and we start playing.Hopefully,the next gen pictures from current games are improved because they dont look to impressive especially for all the hype connected to the new consoles.

correction, "bananarang"

btw article from 1up.com

Sony has unveiled the next generation of its best-selling PlayStation hardware, promising a piece of kit far more powerful than Microsoft's recently unveiled Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 -- slated for a Spring 2006 release in the U.S. -- incorporates a PowerPC-based CELL chip running at 3.2 GHz and a 550 MHz GPU capable of pushing 1.8 teraflops. The PS3 hardware features several forms of connectivity, including 1000BASE-T Ethernet, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. The machine will support 1080p progressive scan mode, meaning Sony will be tagging along for Microsoft's bold foray into the "HD era." The PS3 will run games from 54GB Blu-Ray DVDs but is backwards-compatible with PlayStation and PS2 games. Looking forward, a wide array of developers and publishers have pledged their support for the machine: Electronic Arts, Konami and Namco, among others.

Games revealed at the PS3 press conference include a new chapter in the Killzone series, Warhawk, Capcom's Devil May Cry 4, M.S. Gundam, a new Tekken, a sequel to Rockstar's Red Dead Revolver, Formula One from SCEE, Insomniac's upcoming WWII-meets-Starship Troopers first-person shooter, a game called Ni-Oh by Koei (which was distinctly Kessen-esque in style), Phantom Saga from Sega, Heavenly Sword from SCEI, Eyedentity, Killing Day (from Ubisoft), and finally a game called Motor Slam.

We'll continue updating information on this breaking news as it becomes available. Please check back for the latest news on Sony's new system.

blakshep
05-17-2005, 01:53 AM
sorry, but i think it's pathetic how many people is involved in this thread....yeah playing with your computer is a very important thing...i'm only glad there will be more gfx jobs beacuse of the higher gfx expectations. Because cool gfx is really important too, just think about monkey island 1-2.

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 01:56 AM
sorry, but i think it's pathetic how many people is involved in this thread....

what can i say, Sony knows how to generate hype and interested ;P

LiquidMetal
05-17-2005, 01:57 AM
sorry, but i think it's pathetic how many people is involved in this thread....yeah playing with your computer is a very important thing...i'm only glad there will be more gfx jobs beacuse of the higher gfx expectations. Because cool gfx is really important too, just think about monkey island 1-2.

how is it pathetic?people have been waiting for this day for years.also,i heard somewhere now that making characters for next gen consoles takes up to 2 months now!not sure if that is true but seems almost reasonable.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 02:00 AM
how is it pathetic?people have been waiting for this day for years.also,i heard somewhere now that making characters for next gen consoles takes up to 2 months now!not sure if that is true but seems almost reasonable.

wait wait, its even worse that he posted in the thread to say that.. :D

SheepFactory
05-17-2005, 02:01 AM

what are you the cool kid of the block? Why is discussing something directly related to our profession pathetic?

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 02:02 AM
wait wait, its even worse that he posted in the thread to say that.. :D

Maybe he works for Microsoft ? dont mind him, heres a direct link to E3 Sony press conference :

"mms://a275.m.akastream.net/7/275/5372/1/gamespot.download.akamai.com/5372/netshow/gslive/2005/05/2stream_sonypress_e305_hi.wmv"

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 02:05 AM
NICE, thanks for the link!

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Blah, blah blah.... I wish this guy would cut the crap and get to the bit people turned up for.

Ooh... here it comes...

leigh
05-17-2005, 02:43 AM

Errr... perhaps.... you... didn't.... notice.... this.... is..... a..... graphics.... related.... site....?

Something for you to ponder.

ivanisavich
05-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Although I'm optimitic about this console....there's no freakin' way those killzone screens are in-game.

Just no freaking way!

*runs to his room and plays his sega genesis*

titaniumdave
05-17-2005, 02:50 AM

Yes it is truely pathetic. I mean, people excited about next gen graphics on a computer graphics forum? Thats insane! What are they thinking? People excited about more jobs in the market. What the **** are the thinking! I mean its not like anyone on a computer graphics forum would in anyway want to anything to do with a game studio.

Stormy151
05-17-2005, 02:51 AM
I must say, it's a very attractive unit. Nice design. :)

Swizzle
05-17-2005, 02:53 AM
Errr... perhaps.... you... didn't.... notice.... this.... is..... a..... graphics.... related.... site....?

Something for you to ponder.Oh ho ho! Ownage!

I really hope they have a couple of extra buttons on the bottom so that I won't have to use the usual triggers; those things suck!

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 02:57 AM
I must say, it's a very attractive unit... :)

hmm, that's funny, the girl I took home from the bar last night said the same exact thing to me when we got up to her room :scream: sorry, couldn't resist.......geez i'm a moron lol

leigh
05-17-2005, 02:59 AM
Just finished watching some of the video... insane stuff! I can't believe how quickly games have advanced in the last couple of years.

Crithon
05-17-2005, 03:01 AM

Interisting you should mention Monkey Island 1 and 2. I just was playing Monkey Island 2 before I chatted about the PS3 and the XBox 360. I mean yes, right now these are all specs, and it's something to talk, complaint or even critize about. Right now, this doesn't say anything about the Gameplay itself. Lucasart's adventure games like Monkey Island, Day of the Tenacle, Sam and Max and Full Throttle were a mildstone in games and it's something not to forget.

Tekken, killzone, Final Fantasy and Unreal Engine 3 photos and footage are definatly something to get excited about. So I don't think it's that Pathetic to talk about a new console. Hell, I still play Tekken 2 even though it's a 9 year old game. There is some solid games coming out on the PS3.

Stormy151
05-17-2005, 03:01 AM
hmm, that's funny, the girl I took home from the bar last night said the same exact thing to me when we got up to her room :scream: sorry, couldn't resist.......geez i'm a moron lol

As soon as I posted it, I knew someone would be unable to resist. I just thought it would take longer... :D

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 03:06 AM
gold star for me! Man, I missed those killzone pics earlier, that's absolutly amazing...I will be at a loss for words if that actually turns out in game stuff. Do you guys know what sony's plan is for the rest of the week? as for what they're supposed to be showing and stuff? and is any of this stuff supposed to be in playable form or just all video?

SkyZero
05-17-2005, 03:13 AM
Thank gawd in the link it says the PS3 is announced for 2006, gives me time to save up money for the Xbox360 and PS3. The only gripe I have is the way the controller looks... :shrug:

Now Nintendo on the other hand better have something totally revolutionary for me to plunk down cash for their system.... :deal:

itsallgoode9
05-17-2005, 03:16 AM
Did you guys see th image of Fight Night 3? that's going to look absolutly amazing in motion. The qyality of the facial models and textures is astounding

eliseu gouveia
05-17-2005, 03:22 AM
>sigh<
Life is so unfair......

I wish I was 25 again, when I could go days on in playing games from dawn to dawn.....

SheepFactory
05-17-2005, 03:30 AM
OK! I just watched the vid to the end and i think i can sum up my thoughts with:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

That killzone vid is EXACTLY how games are supposed to be , i am so looking forward to that.

now the waiting begins.. :(

SkyZero
05-17-2005, 03:41 AM
Just saw the KillZone vid...OMG! :eek: :eek: :eek: :buttrock:

SheepFactory
05-17-2005, 03:42 AM
here is a higher res vid dl link for killzone:

http://rapidshare.de/files/1808417/...051605.mpg.html (http://rapidshare.de/files/1808417/killzone2_ot_ps3_051605.mpg.html)

you need to wait a minute or two for the dl to start but its worth it!

Dirtystimpy
05-17-2005, 03:46 AM
thanks sheep!

I love my xbox, but damn, gotta love the competition.

edit... just watched it. If its actual gameplay, I'm sold

D-3
05-17-2005, 03:56 AM
well i´m watched the presentation and i have a single word to expresse what i feel...

UMBELIVEBAL......

:banghead:

The most impresseve graphics i´m ever seen in real-time...

UMBELIVEBAL......

Renderman_XSI
Although I'm optimitic about this console....there's no freakin' way those killzone screens are in-game.

Just no freaking way!

*runs to his room and plays his sega genesis*

I got news for you son, its all realtime(either cutscene with realtime engine or realtime gameplay).

I just finishing watching the new Sony E3 2005 conference O_O......PS3 is amazing, IMO the lighting is 2-3 times better than what i saw for X360. KillZone 2 for PS3 would be enough to make anyone want to go out and buy a PS3, i know i will(just AMAZING..all real time).

SkyZero
here is a higher res vid dl link for killzone:

http://rapidshare.de/files/1808417/...051605.mpg.html (http://rapidshare.de/files/1808417/killzone2_ot_ps3_051605.mpg.html)

you need to wait a minute or two for the dl to start but its worth it!

Bless your heart! DLing it now. Watching now...OMG -> :drool:

If the game plays as good as it looks... :applause:

EpShot
05-17-2005, 03:59 AM
wait.. is that confirmed!?

i eman.. that would qualify as really really good cinematics.... and if it was game play, then a lot of us are going to have our work cut out for us doing rendered cinematics to keep up with the game. I mean render wise, that was up there with advent children!

NanoGator
05-17-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm a hardcore Nintendo zealot. But I gotta admit, Sony's killin everybody so far. Ouch.

poly-phobic
05-17-2005, 04:14 AM
is it me, or is kill zone the only impressive one from what i saw there...
oh god, please dont let the gameplay suck... i beg of u.

i did not see enough of devil may cry and i really didnt like that FFII dismal showing...
i know they have a lot more up their sleeves for E3. one can only hope.
MGS4 anyone :D

SheepFactory
05-17-2005, 04:30 AM
is it me, or is kill zone the only impressive one from what i saw there...
oh god, please dont let the gameplay suck... i beg of u.

i did not see enough of devil may cry and i really didnt like that FFII dismal showing...
i know they have a lot more up their sleeves for E3. one can only hope.
MGS4 anyone :D

have you seen that dirt racing game and the zombie game and the ubisoft FPS?

I think killzone will be sony's answer to halo 3 , frankly xbox looks already outdated after seeing the ps3 vids :D

D-3
05-17-2005, 04:37 AM
hi guys again.. if some one have interest.. the gametrailers.com published a lot of game clipes from the presentation...

www.gametrailers.com
:drool:

L.Rawlins
05-17-2005, 04:39 AM
From the look of the controller they used in the press briefing the controller is NOT the 'bananarang' illustrated within this thread...

Deep joy.

eliseu gouveia
05-17-2005, 04:42 AM
That.
Is.
SO.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

erilaz
05-17-2005, 04:55 AM
I'm flabbergasted. Framing through that killzone movie, every curve was so damn SMOOTH! Not an angle to be found on rounded surfaces! I mean... how the hell are they doing that?

Stillwell
05-17-2005, 05:12 AM
After watching the Microsoft XBox presentation, I can say I'm not impressed. Apart from Gears of War, nothing interesting came up. Even Call of Duty seems the same, and the graphics are not that innovative.

Now now.... Killzone, that's interesting. That one shows how much power the Unreal Engine 3 can push.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 05:12 AM
erilaz, i know what YOUR getting at ;) and its the hopes of all of us its not that.

anyways, too bad its not the bananarang, i was kinda getting used to it.. and i love the name! hahaha!

anyways, watched the WHOLE 2 hours of the conference thing.. and holy ..well just insert alot of swearing.... that is sooooooooo insanely good... that dirt racing game looks amazing!

oh and if GT doesnt finally put in car damage im gonna be seriously pissed.. haha

edit: stillwell didnt you see the dirt racing game? that was insane! INSANE! lol

edit2: btw bash me if you want, but this kicks the crap out of xb360 as there was NO game that looked as bad as pdz.. and ps3 is almost a year away!

Heber
05-17-2005, 05:16 AM
whooo great day, i was waiting for this for awhile now, i love the lineup thats been confirmed some of my fav. franchises there. I will definately be picking this up over the 360 , when it comes down to it i dont care about the console/technology/if it plays dvds or can cook my lunch for me , i just care if it has great games and sony always delivers on this ! boomerang controller i can deal with, if we complain enough they will change it, thats why xbox has controller s remember... :)

erilaz
05-17-2005, 05:20 AM
erilaz, i know what YOUR getting at ;) and its the hopes of all of us its not that.

I'm really trying not to be skeptical! I really am! I seriously hope I will be blown away when I see this being played.:)

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 05:26 AM
I'm really trying not to be skeptical! I really am! I seriously hope I will be blown away when I see this being played.:)

me too :(

ah well.. btw.. anyone else got screens of any other game besides KZ and Fight Night? I dont feel like downloading more vid... I want to drool over screenies.. high res screenies :D

Ariel
05-17-2005, 05:29 AM
have you seen that dirt racing game and the zombie game and the ubisoft FPS?
I think killzone will be sony's answer to halo 3 , frankly xbox looks already outdated after seeing the ps3 vids :D

ditto, 360 was ok. I was glad when I saw it but it still didn't feel like nexg-gen visuals, for the most part (except for the short nba 2k6 clip and some things in GOW).

Almost everything in PS3 so far looks way ahead. I am almost sure it doesn't have to do with hardware as much as the quality of developers that Sony has so far. Gundam, I8, Killzone, Formula 3, Fight Night, Motorstorm all give me that next-generation feel right off the bat.

edit: nevermind, i just saw the actual in-game shots of NBA2k6 and it looks pretty bad. I do like the control design for the 360 much better than that of the PS3.

teknotek83
05-17-2005, 05:52 AM
After watching the Microsoft XBox presentation, I can say I'm not impressed. Apart from Gears of War, nothing interesting came up. Even Call of Duty seems the same, and the graphics are not that innovative.

Now now.... Killzone, that's interesting. That one shows how much power the Unreal Engine 3 can push.

When/Where was it ever stated that the next Killzone was powered by Unreal Tech?

SheepFactory
05-17-2005, 06:00 AM
I was just wondering , with the added level of realism and the hightened expectations of gamers , how will it effect game dev

will games cost more money to make? , require double the artists? , take much longer time to develop?

I was just wondering how much work has gone into creating those games. the killzone one for example has insane detail but will the whole game be that detailed , or to rephrase the question:

can you make a game that takes over 10 hours to finish that detailed?

what do you guys think?

PhilOsirus
05-17-2005, 06:00 AM
It's not, I'm quite certain. (Killzone not using Unreal engine)

rakmaya
05-17-2005, 06:02 AM
This confirms almost everything. PS3 is defenitly state of the art. 2 times as power as the 6800 ultra and more horse power that the PowerPC (you know who) counter part(if they said on the video is true), we have a processor that is truely out of the ordinary when compared to most other.

The level with the clouds and terrain rendered ONLY on the Cell is amazing. The GPU to CPU architecture is overwelming as well.

Finally, I can rest knowing that there are good looking games (Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Unreal, Killzone) lined up for the console on its release or close to it.

What I like about is its ability to connect to PSP and act as a controler from remote location (via network). This means my own file/webspace storage and what not. And everything accessible and browsable from PSP from anywhere I want. That is a truely unique feature.

Best of all, the ability to plugin in complicated AI and Dynamics along with that Cell makes this the best technology demo.

Now it is upto the MS and Nintendo to show the full horse power of their system.

Man.... think of how it went. According to the "analysts" MS was supposed to announce their system details before the PS3. Now we know more about PS3 than the other 2. Talk about the irony!

Edit: And ya, the F3 looked much better and realistic than the Nascar relay on telivision after postproduction!

erilaz
05-17-2005, 06:03 AM
Vision GT is stunning! :eek: Makes me depressed just thinking about it!

rakmaya
05-17-2005, 06:04 AM
I was just wondering , with the added level of realism and the hightened expectations of gamers , how will it effect game dev

will games cost more money to make? , require double the artists? , take much longer time to develop?

I was just wondering how much work has gone into creating those games. the killzone one for example has insane detail but will the whole game be that detailed , or to rephrase the question:

what do you guys think?

There is no question "if it is possible". It is and developers will. Ofcourse the production cost to keep up with the technology is very high. But the level of detail will be astonishing.

ndat
05-17-2005, 06:05 AM

what do you guys think?

I guess it depends on the team of artists and yes it will probally take a lot more time and money to make these. So I doubt you will be able to make long games like that unless you develop an extreme amout of artistic and design efficiancy. But then again it makes me really happy that I have high polly skills lol.

Crithon
05-17-2005, 06:06 AM
I believed I was most impressed with the Unreal Engine 3 for the PS3. Considering how well the Unreal 2003 engine was used, I just hope developers really can make something astonishing.

Although I do wonder, since Majority of the PS2 games didn't really come up to par with the Tech Demos of the original PS2 announcement, just how many games will be up par with these demos?

Still, there is just so much potential in that demonstation of the PS3.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 06:13 AM

what do you guys think?

Ya, I've been pondering this myself.. What I could live with is less games (as in half whats beign produced now for ps2) but longer games..

like if the first wave of games can hold me off till the next wave come out then im happy.. im HOPING for 60+ hour gameplay... though im a slow player.. ffx gave me 110+ hours haha

Crithon
05-17-2005, 06:14 AM

what do you guys think?

Well, I've been noticing there are more PS2 and XBox 1 games in development for this year and next year. It's proof that the current systems have enought life to get them to compete for a couple more years.

I think right now, only the BIG corperate companies like EA, Square-Enix, Namco, and Capcom can make games for these new consoles, and I assume it will take a slow time till the other companies see if they can compete in that platform. I guess Backwards compatablity is really the only way for these consoles to survive for a while.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 06:18 AM
something else i have to mention is warhawk.. at first i was looking at that and was thinking the enviro looked like garbage but that was right before 20 million ships started to fly by.. at that point i was easily able to excuse the enviros.. hahaha..

oh man.. space battles will be truly great!

oh and a big sony selling point is that it can be backwards compatible all the way to the ps1.. thats insane! where as MS is selective backwards compatible.. NOT good. (or thats what i gather anyways)

Ya.. I was sorta feelin the xb360 thing until 5 hours ago.. haha

heavyness
05-17-2005, 06:19 AM
while i said "ohh" and "ahh" in some post, i'm waiting to past total judgment until i see people actually playing these games on the show floor. and even then, i'll still wait till these games are closer to launch time. we've all seen in-game cut scenes that use higher poly models and superior lighting, i wouldn't be surprised if most of these images are just that.

we've all been fooled by tech demos in the past and "actual game footage." while legally they claim these images and movies are in game, fact is not one system has its final hardware in place.

not downing any company, just sitting back and watching the show.

erilaz
05-17-2005, 06:19 AM
Are people getting confused between the Unreal engine (epic games) and the reality engine (ps3 hardware)?

teknotek83
05-17-2005, 06:23 AM
The Unreal Engine (along with the Doom3 Engine and the Renderware Engine) are all middleware. The PS3 isn't using anything called "Reality Engine". PS3 is just using it's CELL technology and the RSX technology. These are hardware based while the Unreal/Doom/Renderware/whatever engines are all software based.

hypercube
05-17-2005, 06:26 AM
edit: ok it was Emotion Engine, was RSX ever called Reality Engine?

THIRD BASE! :)

edit: oh and finally made it allll the way through the presentation, too. Amazing stuff. can't wait to see proper vids of those, even on the camcorder stuff it looked awesome.

Nathellion
05-17-2005, 06:32 AM
while i said "ohh" and "ahh" in some post, i'm waiting to past total judgment until i see people actually playing these games on the show floor. and even then, i'll still wait till these games are closer to launch time. we've all seen in-game cut scenes that use higher poly models and superior lighting, i wouldn't be surprised if most of these images are just that.

we've all been fooled by tech demos in the past and "actual game footage." while legally they claim these images and movies are in game, fact is not one system has its final hardware in place.

not downing any company, just sitting back and watching the show.

I'm with you :)

That PS3 controller has a visual appeal tantamount to that of my ass. The system looks rather nice though.

{edit} and btw, is it just me or did the whole scenario of that Killzone trailer play out extremely pre-rendered-ish? Even when the camera was in the first person it was acting really cinematic. But maybe they're just being innovative :P

erilaz
05-17-2005, 06:35 AM
The graphics chipset, meanwhile, has been named the RSX - which stands for "Reality Synthesizer", as opposed to the "Graphics Synthesizer" that powered the original PlayStation 2. Never let it be said that Sony let an opportunity for a pretentious name pass them by. The part, which has been manufactured by NVIDIA, is described as being more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra boards, which are the current top of the range PC graphics solutions, and will output in HDTV resolutions all the way up to 1080p as standard.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8827

So it's Reality Synth!

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 06:36 AM
check it out, real ps3 pics.. as in.. real life

ps3 pics (http://www.gmr-source.com/gmr/content.php?subaction=showfull&id=1116287543&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&)

erilaz
05-17-2005, 06:41 AM
Hmmm.... hate the design, to be perfectly honest, but I guess it's the stuff inside that counts. :D

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 06:47 AM
devil may cry 4 (i may cry too!)

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614726/devil-may-cry-4-20050516054232778.jpg

HIGH RES (http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614792/devil-may-cry-4-20050516073212117.jpg)

Another Shot
(http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614792/devil-may-cry-4-20050516073215039.jpg)
One more (http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614792/devil-may-cry-4-20050516073217789.jpg)

Tekken Screens (2) (http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748466/imgs_1.html)

WarHawk Screens (3) (http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748468/imgs_1.html)

AND, just to tell you guys, these are probably the graphics we can expect from ps3 (much more believable) CLICK ME (http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/img_2786813.html)

tozz
05-17-2005, 06:48 AM
Sweet game line-up, as for the controller I wouldn't expect this alienlike weirdo thingie to be final, Sony should know how good their DS2 is. Well, I'll wait for the playvids from reviewers, but damn, if Killzone is for real... Anyone want a spare lung or liver?

Halo3 threathen PS3 launch? haha, yeah, that'll happen... in another dimension ;)

gent_k
05-17-2005, 06:51 AM
So that Killzone2 video that SheepFactory posted was ingame? o.o

ThomasMahler
05-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Jesus, why didn't they just recycle the PlayStation 2 Design!? The gamepad looks really stupid, the console itself looks cheap.

Let's see how the first playable games will look - I rather not be impressed of TechDemos...

ndat
05-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Sweet game line-up, as for the controller I wouldn't expect this alienlike weirdo thingie to be final, Sony should know how good their DS2 is. Well, I'll wait for the playvids from reviewers, but damn, if Killzone is for real... Anyone want a spare lung or liver?

Halo3 threathen PS3 launch? haha, yeah, that'll happen... in another dimension ;)

If you look closely in the video of the conference they are using the DS2 not the new one... I thought that was strange, or maybe I am reading too much into things.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 06:56 AM
If you look closely in the video of the conference they are using the DS2 not the new one... I thought that was strange, or maybe I am reading too much into things.
Well...they didn't show the PS3 until the end. They probably didn't want to show any of the hardware until the end...

...but then again, they didn't show the controller either, hehe.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 06:57 AM
ill post this once more just for people up to this point... ps3 games will most likely look more along these lines

click click (http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/img_2786813.html)

and btw, IGN's complete list of ps3 games (http://ps3.ign.com/e3/2005/games/) (click the i's in the list for images)

ThomasMahler
05-17-2005, 07:03 AM
Well...they didn't show the PS3 until the end. They probably didn't want to show any of the hardware until the end...

...but then again, they didn't show the controller either, hehe.

Maybe they just didn't want the audience to throw tomatoes?

eliseu gouveia
05-17-2005, 07:04 AM
I still play my old PSOne games like Silent Hill, FF7 and Resident Evil: Nemesis.

Good graphics is nice and all, but if the gameplay isn´t there, forget about it.

A good game should be something along these lines:

1. Gameplay
2. Gameplay
3. Gameplay
4. Graphics
5. Sound
10. Cheesy Resident Evil-What-IS-that-thing voice talent :D

hypercube
05-17-2005, 07:06 AM
I think most of that stuff really IS in-engine..it just varies depending on who's more "done". Check out the MotorStorm ones too..interesting.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 07:07 AM
I saw a comparison in size for the 360 and PS3 a couple of hours ago....does anyone know what I'm talking about? If not....does anyone know how big the dimensions are?

ThomasMahler
05-17-2005, 07:09 AM
http://www.tevca.de/2.jpg

Yup, here we go - PS3 will be bigger than the X360 - OMG.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 07:09 AM
I saw a comparison in size for the 360 and PS2 a couple of hours ago....does anyone know what I'm talking about? If not....does anyone know how big the dimensions are?

size matters not ;) just look at the xbox, it was big and bulky, you'd think women would be all over it.. go figure :D

edit: and what thomas means to say is, the ps3 will be bigger, badder & BETTER

Nathellion
05-17-2005, 07:14 AM

Hmmm, it's all starting to make sense. X360 went the PS2 route this time, and PS3 went the Xbox route this time (just to clarify: PS3 power > X360 power, while PS3 size > X360 size).

Oh the sweet, sweet irony of it all!

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 07:14 AM
ill post this once more just for people up to this point... ps3 games will most likely look more along these lines

click click (http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748483/img_2786813.html)

and btw, IGN's complete list of ps3 games (http://ps3.ign.com/e3/2005/games/) (click the i's in the list for images)

Yeah , pS3 games on the low end of the spectrum, but more talented companies like Konami and the KillZone developers should be able to do more.

I really dont know why people are comparing GOW and KillZone 2, GOW looks so fake(I mean if i wanted stiff animated GI JOE toys walking around i could play FarCry :P), KillZone 2 is so much better in so many ways, animation ,texture, particle FX, lighting, not to mention they dont over use normal maps..like Epic :P.

Also KillZone wasnt pre-render IMO, but real time(and im willing to bet a lung on this). Lastly, look at The GetaWay demo, its actually practical, huge world with many people walking around, and cars/bus driving with awesome lightiing.

Hmmm, it's all starting to make sense. X360 went the PS2 route this time, and PS3 went the Xbox route this time (just to clarify: PS3 power > X360 power, while PS3 size > X360 size).

Oh the sweet, sweet irony of it all!

Power doesnt quite matter..its really about the amount of third party support that determines the victor. Seems Sony has alot of it, compare to XBOX360 (base on what i have seen so far).

ThomasMahler
05-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Well, to be totally honest:

http://www.gmr-source.com/forums/uploads/1115527413/gallery_2_1_4513.jpg

This here gives me the creeps. Hell. Who's responsible for this "Knight Rider, back to the early 80's" design?! The joypad looks terrible as well. Oh my.

And I thought that the PS2 looked just cool. Simple, sleek, neat.

Solothores
05-17-2005, 07:16 AM
I want to believe! I really want to. But I was let down so many times already. So I remain skeptical. Killzone 2 is exactly how I imagined games once should be. And if this comes true... if this is an example how future games will be. I guess I am feeling lucky.

If this works out true as it was demonstrated, some questions that would be rather interesting, how will PS3 and XBox360 affect PC? Will those cellchips make it to PC as well? How does Nvidias GPU compare to ATI's? It would be a real surprise if Nvidia finally makes a performance jump ahead of ATI. I am eager to see what's going on within Intel and AMD, and maybe how J. Allen's face looked when he saw the PS3 spec notes and the first tech demos.

Well lucky I am just a gamer.

cheers
Solo

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 07:21 AM
I want to believe! I really want to. But I was let down so many times already. So I remain skeptical. Killzone 2 is exactly how I imagined games once should be. And if this comes true... if this is an example how future games will be. I guess I am feeling lucky.

If this works out true as it was demonstrated, some questions that would be rather interesting, how will PS3 and XBox360 affect PC? Will those cellchips make it to PC as well? How does Nvidias GPU compare to ATI's? It would be a real surprise if Nvidia finally makes a performance jump ahead of ATI. I am eager to see what's going on within Intel and AMD, and maybe how J. Allen's face looked when he saw the PS3 spec notes and the first tech demos.

Well lucky I am just a gamer.

cheers
Solo

Well you can also check out, Ghost Recon 3 for the XBOX360..you think its not realtime also? compare the lighting to Killzone and other stuff..and judge for yourself. Also take a look at KillZone 1 for PS2, compare the specs of the PS2 to PS3..you should come to a conclusion that KillZone 2 is real time. Just ignore the 2 teraflop(Sony) and 1 Teraflop(Microsoft)..

Anyway, Nintendo press conference tomorrow..So far PS3>XBOX 1.5. lets see where Revolution fits into this.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 07:22 AM
http://www.tevca.de/2.jpg

Where'd you get that from? I SERIOUSLY doubt the 360 will be only 2 and a half inches thick...

pogonip
05-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Also KillZone wasnt pre-render IMO, but real time(and im willing to bet a lung on this). Lastly, look at The GetaWay demo, its actually practical, huge world with many people walking around, and cars/bus driving with awesome lightiing.

Unfortunatly you are wrong ...quoted from an Art Director at EA

"pogonip: have you ever done much rendering with mental ray? Final gather, G.I type stuff? That shit takes forEVER to render. I aint buying it sorry. That's a real nice video they rendered there The U3 engine stuff looks feasible like I said, but If you know a thing or two about advanced lighting, and examine those Killzone shots, well, thats an absolutely STAGGERING achievement If its true. Lookm at the U3 stuff. You can see polygonal edges If you look closely. You can see texture resolution limitations. Now try and find ANY evidence in the Killzone stuff that it's realtime and there is NONE. Not ONE polygonal edge anywhere. So they figured out Subdivision surface rendering for the PS3 this early in its development and everything in this movie is SUbD's? How do you explain the lack of polygonal silhouette anwyhere in these shots?
Lighting wise it's VERY similiar to the video that Blur studios did for Warhammer 40k ( http://www.blur.com/indexl.html (http://www.blur.com/indexl.html) )
So a PS3 can render in realtime, the same quality lighting that would previously take days to render on a huge renderfarm? Here's me trying to explain in explicit technical detail why there is no way in hell this is realtime, and yet it's fricking obvious as hell it isn't. Why? because it's so obviously choreographed. Every move the 'player' makes, every little glance in a particular direction that is made, something happens. The ship flying into camera. All of it. It's storyboarded. It's screamingly obvious. It's a movie. ( and a pretty cool one too though ) Watch again."

Solothores
05-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the insight there Chris.

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Unfortunatly you are wrong ...quoted from an Art Director at EA

"pogonip: have you ever done much rendering with mental ray? Final gather, G.I type stuff? That shit takes forEVER to render. I aint buying it sorry. That's a real nice video they rendered there The U3 engine stuff looks feasible like I said, but If you know a thing or two about advanced lighting, and examine those Killzone shots, well, thats an absolutely STAGGERING achievement If its true. Lookm at the U3 stuff. You can see polygonal edges If you look closely. You can see texture resolution limitations. Now try and find ANY evidence in the Killzone stuff that it's realtime and there is NONE. Not ONE polygonal edge anywhere. So they figured out Subdivision surface rendering for the PS3 this early in its development and everything in this movie is SUbD's? How do you explain the lack of polygonal silhouette anwyhere in these shots?
Lighting wise it's VERY similiar to the video that Blur studios did for Warhammer 40k ( http://www.blur.com/indexl.html (http://www.blur.com/indexl.html) )
So a PS3 can render in realtime, the same quality lighting that would previously take days to render on a huge renderfarm? Here's me trying to explain in explicit technical detail why there is no way in hell this is realtime, and yet it's fricking obvious as hell it isn't. Why? because it's so obviously choreographed. Every move the 'player' makes, every little glance in a particular direction that is made, something happens. The ship flying into camera. All of it. It's storyboarded. It's screamingly obvious. It's a movie. ( and a pretty cool one too though ) Watch again."

It has nothing to do with Mental Ray(which i hate with a passion, i prefer Maxwell) or GI, it has to do with the 128 bit HDR. The GOW demo was rendered at 720 P and using HDR also, but im not sure if the HDR is 32 bit or 128 bit.

Like i said before, it could be a movie/cutscene generated by the realtime engine(typical in every game) it still makes it real time. Weather its in game or not..thats another story. If you think thats not realtime..i guess you dont think Ghost Recon 3 for XBOX360 either? lighting is very close to each other.

I guess its your opinion over mines though, and time well tell..whos right.:)

Nathellion
05-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Yep, I think this is just Sony doing their shameless false advertisement via pre-rendered graphics once again. If this is so I call dibs on Renderman_XSI's lung :D

Another thing to note is that the Killzone graphics look staggeringly better than most of the other games in the PS3 showcase. Serving as yet another indication...

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Yep, I think this is just Sony doing their shameless false advertisement via pre-rendered graphics once again. If this is so I call dibs on Renderman_XSI's lung :D

Hey, if im right..you need to send me a PS3 :D, plus a copy of KillZone 2!

Kwe
05-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Call me naive....but....when did Sony false advertise with pre-rendered graphics? And when they did....did they clearly say that the graphics were "in game" or "real time"?

Nathellion
05-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Call me naive....but....when did Sony false advertise with pre-rendered graphics? And when they did....did they clearly say that the graphics were "in game" or "real time"?

Only in just about every PS2 advertisement on TV. I remember a montage promo they aired awhile back telling the general public of their superior games which featured about 80-90% pre-rendered clips. Maybe false advertisement was a bit of an overstatement, but it's at least quite misleading to any non-gamer.

Although from a business standpoint it's probably the best thing for them to do.

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 07:39 AM

having seen the whole e3 sony conference.at the beginning the tech demo were claim to be realtime(which i believe since he was moving the camera around), but torward end(1 hour 30 minutes or so) they didnt say it was reatime or not, so here we are guessing on that very matter. They could of been pre-rendered tech demo, no one truelly knows..or they could of been realtime. Either way, the latter demo didnt have that kind of camera interaction..who knows.

BTW Killzone 1 for PS2:
http://www.gameshot.net/webzine/article_read.php?class=PS&svc_cd=SCRSHOT&ac_seq=AC3fbd655bcc82f&svc_name=%BD%BA%C5%A9%B8%B0%BC%A6

you be the judge.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Here's me trying to explain in explicit technical detail why there is no way in hell this is realtime, and yet it's fricking obvious as hell it isn't. Why? because it's so obviously choreographed. Every move the 'player' makes, every little glance in a particular direction that is made, something happens. The ship flying into camera. All of it. It's storyboarded. It's screamingly obvious. It's a movie. ( and a pretty cool one too though ) Watch again."
I'm not gonna argue that the Killzone movie might've been realtime.....BUT there ARE games that use realtime graphics to do cutscenes and movies. Just look at Metal Gear Solid, Legend of Zelda, Resident Evil 4, and Halo...

...scripted realtime has been around since PSX. Just because it's scripted doesn't mean it's not realtime.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 07:40 AM
Only in just about every Sony videogame commercial on TV. I remember a montague promo they aired awhile back telling the general public of their superior games which featured about 80-90% pre-rendered clips. Maybe false advertisement was a bit of an overstatement, but it's at least quite misleading to any non-gamer.
Well...I can take your word for it, but I'd rather see some pictures of a video if possible....even an article will do.

pogonip
05-17-2005, 07:40 AM
Guess we'll find out for sure sometime...believe me EVERYONE wants it to be true ...:)

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 07:43 AM
renderman - check this out

first look at this (its a "screen" from killzone) (http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/img_2787006.html)

then look at this (its a "screen" from GR) (http://xbox360.1up.com/do/slideshow?pager.offset=2&mt=0&cId=3140425&mId=1879113)

nowhere near the same

Kwe
05-17-2005, 07:43 AM
having seen the whole e3 sony conference.at the beginning the tech demo were claim to be realtime(which i believe since he was moving the camera around), but torward end(1 hour 30 minutes or so) they didnt say it was reatime or not, so here we are guessing on that very matter.
Well....if the scenes for the Unreal part of the conference looked rendered, yet...they proved it's not (by moving the camera around)........is it so hard to believe that other developers can do the same thing? Especially when other (SOME) developers are able to make better graphics than Unreal even a few years ago...

ndat
05-17-2005, 07:45 AM
Guess we'll find out for sure sometime...believe me EVERYONE wants it to be true ...:)

OMG yes... I would sacrafice little children to make it so...

Yeah not really lol, but I want it to be really badly.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 07:47 AM
speaking of the unreal tech demo for ps3..

when he paused the game.. tell me.. why in the world was the fire still moving and the lake still shimmering!? I would have thought that everything would have stopped.... :/ That makes me think it wasn't real time..

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 07:48 AM
renderman - check this out

first look at this (its a "screen" from killzone) (http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/img_2787006.html)

then look at this (its a "screen" from GR) (http://xbox360.1up.com/do/slideshow?pager.offset=2&mt=0&cId=3140425&mId=1879113)

nowhere near the same

You are right, but GR3, looks alot better in motion. seem the textures for killzone2 are 2 time better..likewise with lighting(128 bit HDR!)

Looking closer at the killzone shoot, they seem really high poly(maybe the difference between float point performance is the factor?)

also KillZone 1 screen shoot:

http://www.gameshot.net/webzine/article_read.php?class=PS&svc_cd=SCRSHOT&ac_seq=AC3fbd655bcc82f&svc_name=%BD%BA%C5%A9%B8%B0%BC%A6

rootdown
05-17-2005, 07:49 AM
That controller looks like something that should be spotted hovering over Lubbock, Texas, spooking cattle.

Nathellion
05-17-2005, 07:49 AM
Well...I can take your word for it, but I'd rather see some pictures of a video if possible....even an article will do.

All I specifically remember is that it was an ad for an after-holiday price drop and started with one of the FF girls doing a graceful flip while weilding a pistol in each hand and ended with a beauty shot of the PS2 and its controller.

vrf
05-17-2005, 07:50 AM
I have to agree that the Killzone video had a strangely "scripted" feel to it. I don't know if it was real-time or not, but it did feel staged. I'm guessing pre-rendered, as it seems to fit in with Sony's hype-machine.

But man, if it's real, that's quite a game. Freaking beautiful. Now that the graphics are so good, let's have some innovation in physics, environments and AI. Let's have things behave realistically, too, in addition to looking real.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 07:51 AM
You are right, but GR3, looks alot better in motion. seem the textures for killzone2 are 2 time better..likewise with lighting(128 bit HDR!)

Looking closer at the killzone shoot, they seem really high poly(maybe the difference between float point performance is the factor?)

also KillZone 1 screen shoot:

Well thats what I mean, thats the whole reason everyone doubts it the whole "high poly" factor.. and the gorgeous lighting.. heh..

no doubt that the makers of KZ are amazing guys but..... that much of an improvement? insane stuff..

iocomposer
05-17-2005, 07:52 AM

when he paused the game.. tell me.. why in the world was the fire still moving and the lake still shimmering!? I would have thought that everything would have stopped.... :/ That makes me think it wasn't real time.. :love:

They were probably animated textures.

Nathellion
05-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Hey, if im right..you need to send me a PS3 :D, plus a copy of KillZone 2!

If it looks that good I'll be keeping both for myself :)

Kwe
05-17-2005, 07:54 AM

when he paused the game.. tell me.. why in the world was the fire still moving and the lake still shimmering!? I would have thought that everything would have stopped.... :/ That makes me think it wasn't real time..

Wouldn't that just make it seem MORE like real time? Considering....if you stop an animation that you're trying to render....EVERYTHING stops (particle effects and such) but in some games, even if you pause...particle effects still move/flicker.

Plus....I don't think Sony can afford to straight LIE to the world. If they promise....they absolutely HAVE to deliver.

Heber
05-17-2005, 07:54 AM

thats means nothing , who says he paused the game? at this point it isnt even a game just a demo of u3 engine running on the cell, for all we know all he did was stop the animation on the characters.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 07:55 AM
thats means nothing , who says he paused the game? at this point it isnt even a game just a demo of u3 engine running on the cell, for all we know all he did was stop the animation on the characters.

^ plus everyone else ^

I get your point :D sorry! haha

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 07:56 AM
OMG yes... I would sacrafice little children to make it so...

Yeah not really lol, but I want it to be really badly.

ROFL. you and everyone here at cgtalk!

I think the water is shader driven, not affect time? the HL2 water shader are the same way.i dunno..but IMO GOW was realtime!:P

anyway, we can speculated all day long..but lets see what Nintendo has tomorrow! live stream tomorrow in the morning i think(7 AM)

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 07:58 AM
ROFL. you and everyone here at cgtalk!

I think the water is shader driven, not affect time? the HL2 water shader are the same way.i dunno..but IMO GOW was realtime!:P

anyway, we can speculated all day long..but lets see what Nintendo has tomorrow! live stream tomorrow in the morning i think(7 AM)

post the link once you get it, I wanna see that!

kira-hime
05-17-2005, 08:01 AM

what do you guys think?

Any of you guys seen this story? http://pc.ign.com/articles/595/595530p1.html

ndat
05-17-2005, 08:02 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/preview_6125066.html

They say that the KillZone 2 was in game... I dunno where they got that infromation from, but I assume they have better infromation than us. But it does not look real time lol.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 08:07 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/killzone2/preview_6125066.html

They say that the KillZone 2 was in game... I dunno where they got that infromation from, but I assume they have better infromation than us. But it does not look real time lol.
ummmm.....that's the point. If you listen to the beginning of the conference...they emphasize that they want to make a gaming system that can house movie level graphics in realtime. They don't want you to think they're your playing a video game with OBVIOUSLY video game graphics, they want you to play a video game with graphics that look rendered.

look guys....we all know that realtime graphics that look as good as the Final Fantasy are BOUND to happen, why is it so hard to believe that the PS3 can do that?

tdamcbigity
05-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Whoa such a stir in the community. I personally think all this PS3 business is neat regardless of what is actual truth and what is being fabricated for our pleasure centers. Even if Killzone 2 is pre-rendered I congratulate the team for an awesome CG intro, well played even.

But really I don't want to sound like any sort of party pooper but when it all falls away what's left? We still have thousands, millions even, dying around the world, people in Sudan, Iraq, Burma, etc, due mainly to lack of attention given and care expended. If you can find the GDC speech by the Katamari Damacy developer it's quite the talk, he talks about this, better than I obviously. But alas I don't have the link for everybody.

Sorry to get all morally centered and all but really let's use computers and graphics for things that involve more than just blowing things up with physics/particle systems, maybe constructing Happy Zones for synthetic cow-monkey children that poo love, hmm.... This fall we meet the next generation or something, right?

Renderman_XSI
05-17-2005, 08:17 AM
ummmm.....that's the point. If you listen to the beginning of the conference...they emphasize that they want to make a gaming system that can house movie level graphics in realtime. They don't want you to think they're your playing a video game with OBVIOUSLY video game graphics, they want you to play a video game with graphics that look rendered.

look guys....we all know that realtime graphics that look as good as the Final Fantasy are BOUND to happen, why is it so hard to believe that the PS3 can do that?

Thats simple to answer, because everyone in the pass fall for the "Toy Story" graphics on the PS2. I know it'll be possible sooner or later..no one knows FOR SURE if its ingame or not(killzone 2 that is),until its out and everyones playing(and getting owned by me :D,like Geta-Ve)

but wow, having games in 1080P is going to be awesome! better than the 1080 i for the nextbox.

ndat
05-17-2005, 08:24 AM

Ever worked with a powerfull renderfarm, even they can't do that not even close.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Ever worked with a powerfull renderfarm, even they can't do that not even close.
So how do you explain the woman with the weird creatures with hands for wings, Unreal, and Alfred Molina (Doc Oc) real time demos?

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 08:30 AM

and at HD resolution to boot!

THAT is the kicker :p

KWE - thats just like asking how do you explain the water effects in the ps2 duck tech demo... never in ANY ps2 game have I seen those kinds of water effects.

and im willing to bet every tech demo for the ps2 was perfectly AA'd yet you will be hard pressed to find a good AA'd game on ps2 now..

Nathellion
05-17-2005, 08:36 AM
An interesting revalation (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614924p1.html) has just crossed my path at IGN.com...

"In August of 2004 this editor visited the offices of Guerilla in Amsterdam. There team members admitted that Killzone 2 development was well underway, but that they did not intend to release on PlayStation 3 and that they had, in fact, not even been provided with PS3 development kits at the time. That means that between August of 2004 and May of right now, Guerilla received tools and made a game for a system they knew pretty much nothing about -- a game that is as ridiculously polished as this one, no less. I don't care how fantastic of a developer your company might be, something like that just doesn't happen."

Yes, I find this highly implausible, seeing as how the UE3 has been in developement for several years now, that they could make an engine of a higher graphical capability then the aforementioned in a window of less than a year.

ndat
05-17-2005, 08:39 AM
So how do you explain the woman with the weird creatures with hands for wings, Unreal, and Alfred Molina (Doc Oc) real time demos?

the Nvidia Tech demo -- Limited poly's in a controled enviroment, plus it is merly a tech demo it is not a game.

Unreal -- That was real

Doc Oc -- same as the tech demo

But the Killzone 2 had high poly everything, even the treads on the boots were high poly not normal maped. I'm sorry even with how powerfull the ps3 looks to be I don't think it could handle that many polys. Did you see when they were flying how far the enviroment went too with out any noticable lod change, and all this with out even a frame rate studder? Come on I think this early in development that they would have at least a little studder. Untill they come out and say it was really honest to god in game I have trouble beliving it. I've been wrong before though and hope I am wrong now.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 08:39 AM
KWE - thats just like asking how do you explain the water effects in the ps2 duck tech demo... never in ANY ps2 game have I seen those kinds of water effects.
You must not've played MGS3 then...:rolleyes:

Kwe
05-17-2005, 08:42 AM
the Nvidia Tech demo -- Limited poly's in a controled enviroment, plus it is merly a tech demo it is not a game.

Unreal -- That was real

Doc Oc -- same as the tech demo
okay....so........are you saying you DO admit those things are real time or no? because they clearly state those 3 parts of the conference are real time.

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 08:44 AM
You must not've played MGS3 then...:rolleyes:

Wanna name any others? (and you do realize mgs3 JUST came out, few months ago) the water duck tech demo was BEFORE ps2 was even out..

and he's saying that yes those things are real time but the ps3 (or tech) is being driven to JUST do that specific task/s

its ALOT different in an actual game, you have 100 other things to account for..

ndat
05-17-2005, 08:48 AM
okay....so........are you saying you DO admit those things are real time or no? because they clearly state those 3 parts of the conference are real time.

Ummm... yeah, but they were no where near the scope that Killzone was. And the new unreal engine is amazing but it isn't to the quality of killzone. You can see evidence of diplacement maps and other staples of realtime games in the unreal engine. There are no imperfections in killzone to suggest that it is indeed a game. With out a demonstration or a trust me this is real from the devs or sony... I asume that they are hiding something with this one. and the Final Fantasy trailer was pre rendered and they didn't say that it was.

edit : There was minimal evidence of displacment mapping in killzone and just a huge amount of polygons. And this is a game very early in development remember , in this clip the engine looks close to done.

Plus why were they using the old ps2 controlers? This is unrelated...

Kwe
05-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Wanna name any others? (and you do realize mgs3 JUST came out, few months ago) the water duck tech demo was BEFORE ps2 was even out..

I'm sure I COULD name more...but it's almost 5am here and I really don't feel like going through the entire PS2 library just to prove that point that PS2 CAN handle the graphics that were shown with the rubber ducky demo.

Here....if Xbox 360 can deliver graphics like these...

http://www.gameinformer.com/images/media/%7BA96188BB-B636-4711-A85A-5908B655C7C2%7D/Barricade.jpghttp://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/118/927943_20050429_screen009.jpg

...then why can't PS3 handle graphics like Killzone2?

Kwe
05-17-2005, 08:49 AM
I asume that they are hiding something with this one. and the Final Fantasy trailer was pre rendered and they didn't say that it was.

True...but they showed the technical demo with a remade FF7 intro and it was pretty darn close to the rendered CGI of FF12.

Plus why were they using the old ps2 controlers? This is unrelated...

I have 2 theories...

1 - they didn't want to show ANY new hardware until the end.
2 - they didn't want a bunch of "boo's" or are still unsure they're gonna use that final design

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 08:52 AM
kwe - look at those pics, you can CLEARLY see the poly edges, go look at the KZ pics.. point out 1

AND, go look at stills from alot of the other ps3 games, nowhere NEAR the detail of KZ..

edit: and again what happened to all the AA from the ps2 tech demos? hard pressed to find GOOD AA in ps2 games..

best I can think of off hand would be onimusha 3, even then its a stretch.

edit2: but fine we will wait and see.

ndat
05-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Kwe -- do you notice the scope of one of the shots in there it doesnt even compare (the one with the car). And The unreal engine one do you notice the displacement maps? Killzone has almost none of those its almost all poly's, do you know what it takes to render that many poly's?

BillSpradlin
05-17-2005, 08:57 AM
Killzone 2 trailer is OBVIOUS pre-rendered cinematics. I'm sorry to burst your fanboys bubbles, but take a close look at it again and then come back.

Both the new consoles so far have shown very comparable in game quality, however, anyone thinking Killzone was in game is either on crack or extremely naive.

ndat
05-17-2005, 09:01 AM
Killzone 2 trailer is OBVIOUS pre-rendered cinematics. I'm sorry to burst your fanboys bubbles, but take a close look at it again and then come back.

Both the new consoles so far have shown very comparable in game quality, however, anyone thinking Killzone was in game is either on crack or extremely naive.

Quite frankly I am both, and I am having trouble comprehending how that could be in-game. I'm rather disapointed at sony for not pointing out which it was during they presentation. It's like they were just trying to get some good press, lol go figure. Anyhoo I think its time just to forget about this untill it erupts into a huge scandel that I can laugh about.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Killzone has almost none of those its almost all poly's, do you know what it takes to render that many poly's?
Yeah....a PS3. :thumbsup: hehe...just joking.

...anyway, I hope you guys are wrong. Judging from the games that've come out for the last couple of years for PS2 compared to the games that came out at it's launch....I'm sure Sony can back up what they're showing. Just looking at...say....SSX to SSX3 was a HUGE improvement (not only in graphics, but gameplay as well) and nowhere in my wildest dreams did I think PS2 could handle the jungle from MGS3, but it did and pretty frikkin' smoothly.

So...I have faith in PS2. Like I said...it's only a matter of time until games look like CGI and judging from how good the graphics are now (Resident Evil 4, MGS3)....it's not hard to believe (at least in my opinion) that the graphics in Killzone 2 are possible with the PS3 and it's cell technology. Even if it's not....it'll should be damn close.

I'm done for tonight/this morning. Peace.

Kwe
05-17-2005, 09:04 AM

Well how nice of you to start with the name calling and personal attacks...

...a TRUE sign of naivety.

Tonedef
05-17-2005, 09:08 AM
RE 4 is gamecube only....and the PS3 will probably deliver better graphics than Revolution but most likely not beat the XB360 in the long run, mainly because hey got too bigheaded and pushed the PS2 down peoples throats for too long now they are scrambling to pull out something ahead of XB360, and they just aren't scrambling fast/good enough.

I hope I made sense, I am very tired :p

Fluckrat
05-17-2005, 09:09 AM
Well how nice of you to start with the name calling and personal attacks...

...a TRUE sign of naivety.

Perhaps - but I for one agree with every word of it....

Come on people! Get real! This is NOT realtime 3d...

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 09:12 AM
RE 4 is gamecube only....and the PS3 will probably deliver better graphics than Revolution but most likely not beat the XB360 in the long run, mainly because hey got too bigheaded and pushed the PS2 down peoples throats for too long now they are scrambling to pull out something ahead of XB360, and they just aren't scrambling fast/good enough.

I hope I made sense, I am very tired :p

- re4 is coming out to ps2 (doesnt look as good)
- ps2 wasn't shoved down anyones throat, you all had the option to switch to the more powerful xcrate..er i mean box
- ps3 is coming out way later than xbO, they are taking their time, in my opinion at least.
- ps3 specs are already superior to the xbO

:)

EpShot
05-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Here....if Xbox 360 can deliver graphics like these...

...then why can't PS3 handle graphics like Killzone2?

its not just handeling the graphic, its actualy making the engine to run them, for that specific hardware. Also its very telling that no othe rgames for the ps3 come 'even close'

not only is there an insane poly count, but the texture were extremely high res, if you look at the stills.

the only thing is.. there were stills that were released. not the only reason i can think they woudl release them if it wasn't real, was to be very deliberatly deceptive. Maybe they did this, and then are 'planning' to try and match it as closely as possible with the actual engine.

Kion
05-17-2005, 09:20 AM
I was more impressed with the PS3 presentation than the xbox. I'm judging the ps3 based off what they said was realtime(tech demos, square demo, fight night, spiderman demo, insomniac demo) also the hardware. I think xbox is into the xbox live thing to much, they forgot to talk about games, If you notice none of the game trailers towards the end said they were realtime just a vision of what games will be available for the ps3. I don't think they will be far off from what was shown. I would say I'm more hype about the PS3 than XBOx at this moment.

Yen3D
05-17-2005, 09:27 AM
I think animation in the game industry is going to get real close to feature filme animation with this generation of games. There is a new LOD to animate in those characters (i´m thinking about Kill Zone), facial expressions, fingers ... I hope that dosn´t make games cost more then they already do.

cheers

j3st3r
05-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Just seen the killzone movie, and I`m not convinced about the pre-rendered state. If you check the first cut, you see, it`s awful to be pre-rendered. If you check out the character in the close-up, and the rest, you see extreme differences both between the details, and the shading. It`s absolutely different. The battle scenes looks more let`s say flat. Also, the burning character is quite bad for being pre-rendered. If you check out the screenshots, you may see the bumps on the ground looks like normal maps (there is no hard edge, slightly rounded). Etc.

I think it`s an engine movie, not an actual gameplay. But it`s absolutely stunning result!!!

And for the fanboy comment...If Gear of War is possible on XBOX, then Killzone is possible on PS3 (check out the UT2007 movies presenting PS3 hardware capabilities).

Solothores
05-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Just for comparison reasons, the new e3 trailer (http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/747/747891/vids_1.html) of Gears of War

cheers
Solo

PaulAdams
05-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Those PS3 Getaway shots look absolutely amazing. I was really hoping they'd show a trailer for MGS4 too though.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614784/the-getaway-3-20050516072440159.jpg

Geta-Ve
05-17-2005, 10:14 AM
ya that GOW (while amazing) doesnt even come close to KZ.. not in terms of whats happening.. but in terms of poly counts, lighting, etc.. the GOW (i know im a hypocrit) is easily believable of being in game/real time when compared to KZ.

RuiFeliciano
05-17-2005, 10:38 AM
That Killzone video is pre-rendered. A Scottland based effects house did it.

tozz
05-17-2005, 10:40 AM
That Killzone video is pre-rendered. A Scottland based effects house did it.

Please, source, I'm not saying you're wrong, just want it confirmed :)

RuiFeliciano
05-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Let's just say that I know someone that knows someone that knows someone...

Google "killzone cinematics"and you'll find out who did the first Killzone cinematics...they also did this video...bad SONY, bad SONY...

tozz
05-17-2005, 10:57 AM
gotcha :)
well it wasn't a surpise... yeah, pretty stupid marketing.. people will be pissed.

FlyByNight
05-17-2005, 10:58 AM
why are the last 3 links of e3 stuff on this thread not working?? are the illeagal or something?? i wana see the bloomin gears of war trailer.... and what geta ve talking about killzone kicks gears of wars ass?! next gen hasnt even come out yet, we have no idea of how it looks on screen, and already weve got complaints...

edit: sorry it works.... but not the getaway pics on ps3... still broken :)

Nathellion
05-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Just a quick 'hahaha I told you so' before I go to sleep:

hahaha I told you so :thumbsup:

Nevertheless those UT2007 vids are effing incredible, hopefully it looks almost as good on the X360.

j3st3r
05-17-2005, 11:12 AM
I`m not convinced, I checked out axis, and I think the previous movie is a lot different than this. But who may know?

Moreover, the links talk about the previous Killzone, not this one.

Herehear
05-17-2005, 11:18 AM
People look at the tech spec. of PS3! (or read an article on some hardware review site if you don't understand them). I think many of you don't understand how much power the new consoles have. They are capable to deliver 2 teraflops, that is the power that small supercomputers have.
It's absolutely no problem for them to render graphics like the Killzone demo in realtime.

fr3drik
05-17-2005, 11:18 AM
This rocked the sock off my cock.
Does anyone have a link to a more hires video than the one at Gamespot?

RuiFeliciano
05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
It's not whether consoles have the power or not..it's about facts and fact is that killzone video was pre-rendered. Maybe PS3 will have the ability to do all that in real time, I would like it to be that way, but if we're debating whether that specific video was real time or pre-rendered then I can tell you for sure that it was pre-rendered.
If it is such breakthrough graphics and the engine is in such an advanced development state that can produce such a marvelous gameplay why don't show it in an interactive way instead of video only? This is not my only reasoning though, as I said, I know people that know people...No one will tell you anything though as they're all under NDA and their client is trying to shove this up everyone's throat as real time gameplay.
Don't know about the other stuff that Sony showed though.

Don't know if there's an higher resolution video available but here's some Hires screenshots of that video...
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748475/imgs_1.html?fromint=1

CGmonkey
05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
This rocked the sock off my cock.
Does anyone have a link to a more hires video than the one at Gamespot?

www.gametrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com)

Reepoman
05-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Killzone was Pre-Rendered, but it done by a company in sheffield. Not scotland as far as I'm aware.... maybe they worked together..
But the fact of the matter is, it's a Pre-Render and sony are making Suckers out of their fan base.

Hat's off to Microsoft for showing no Pre-Renders and only in game-footage.

j3st3r
05-17-2005, 11:57 AM
To me fact is when I see this video stated by the creators that it`s render. That is FACT. Until than it`s rumour, as well as it`s rumoured that it`s realtime.

Anyway did SONY claimed that it`s actual ingame footage?

easy
05-17-2005, 12:02 PM
this is a disappointing thread :sad: Here I was reading the reaction of this game and then i saw it myself...impossible for it to be real-time. we would have to jump a few console generations to get ingame visuals like that. oh well.

Solothores
05-17-2005, 12:07 PM
nope it was not stated, speech part before the movies was something like:

"When we were in the funding status of this event we asked many of our dev partners to submit content for today," "We expected to see a few bright lights and a couple of diamants in the rough as it is early on in the dev process" [...] "Our Partners have prepared a glimpse into this future to share with you today, so lets take a look what fans have to look forward to"