PDA

View Full Version : LightWave! Special Offer! (mod Edit)

Kurtis
05-16-2005, 07:10 PM
For a very limited time, NewTek is making a special offer to artists using Cinema 4D, Truespace, Strata and Animation Master to "Go Pro" with LightWave 3D for only $495US through May 31st. Why waste time? Take this opportunity to build your skills and improve your chances to get a job by using the same production-proven, professional-grade software that studios use daily. LightWave has long been a leading player in Hollywood and now you can afford to join the Emmy Award-winning artists from Eden FX, Zoic Studios, Area 51, CafeFX, Digital Domain and many others. Whether your passion is television, film, video games, print or something totally of your imagination LightWave is the 3D application that lets you do it all. World class modeling, rendering and animation all for under $500. This offer will end May 31st, don't miss out. www.newtek.com/buynow (http://www.newtek.com/buynow)

Don Kayote
05-16-2005, 07:41 PM
That sounds Great! :bounce:

Lemme just use my cinema 4d to do some client works to get that money and get LW to go pro. (What, that doesn't sound right. O_o). Another app in my arsernal won't hurt anyone. I'd buy it just for LW modeler. :drool:

hypercube
05-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Hmm yeah no offense guys but the "competitive upgrade" was fine, and that proved to be inflammatory enough later, this is about as friendly as "the networks suck!". Nice deal, but a little over the top on the wording. :hmm:

imashination
05-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Will Newtek be running that other promotion again where you send in 3 tokens from special packets of cornflakes for a Lightwave licence? I only managed to get through two packets last time.

Lyr
05-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Might want to work on the wording of that press release. Unless of course you want to alienate the market you are targeting.

AdamT
05-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Wow, this is almost as good as that $10-plus-a-coupon-from-Domino's deal, but I'm holding out for the free unlimited copy on the 3D World CD.

MJV
05-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Relax everyone. It's just typical marketing nonsense. Move along now, nothing to see here. Besides, we need to focus our energies on people who send uninvited faxes. I want them dead, all dead!

yog
05-16-2005, 09:36 PM
I see a time coming soon where Newtek don't have a weekly, last chance ever, never to be repeated deal ...... soon, just not yet ;)

I was wondering who was going to be first to blink after the unexpected pricing of XSI Foundation. I guess with all these $495 offers for LW we have our answer :wavey:

BTW - I just noticed Kurtis's sig. Pretty ironic considering the press release :D

RobertoOrtiz
05-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Keep it light people....

-R

TimC
05-16-2005, 11:22 PM
I think that if you have the passion and creativity plus clients and hardware (LOL)... you could Go Pro with a ZX Spectrum and Manic Miner. (plus a bit of post :o)

cheers
TimC

cookepuss
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Deleted by me.

(Don't want it to look as if I'm trying to start an app war or something. :))

xynaria
05-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Edges Luke...Edges :D

Celshader
05-17-2005, 01:04 AM
No disrespect to the Newtek marketing people, but this whole "go pro" thing comes off as...weakness...

"Pro" is a subjective term. I've seen magnificent work done by individuals outside of studios, in all kinds of software. You don't need to work at a famous studio to create professional-level work. You don't need LightWave to create a great R2-D2 (http://mag.awn.com/index.php?article_no=1416), or Maya to bring Gollum to life. Hell, even Blender was used on Spider-Man 2 (http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Animatics_for_Motion_Pictures.393.0.html). Good artists can use whatever tools they like. So, I can see your point-of-view, and agree with it, to a point.

That said...I can also understand NewTek's choice of words. Whenever I tell non-3D folks the stuff I've worked on, they get more excited when I say "I worked on Spider-Man 2" than when I say "I run Celshader.com." When I meet folks who want to learn 3D, they're often more interested in working on big-name films and TV projects than in creating their own personal projects or taking on freelance work.

In short...most 3D newbies I know want to someday break into studios like Digital Domain. But, if they want to break into Digital Domain, they'll have a better chance if they use the software that DD already uses. Digital Domain uses LightWave and Maya. NewTek's offer lets folks get one of those two packages for cheap.

moovieboy
05-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Hmmmm...

What strikes me as odd isn't so much this current offer, but my discovery on their Web site of the $250 electronic upgrade for ol' wavers like me... I don't recall ever being informed about it and may have made some different purchases had I known...

And personally, I don't perceive a real offense by the marketing of "go pro." But then again, I don't really care about marketing copy unless there's a bold-faced lie buried therein. :D

kromekat
05-17-2005, 01:30 AM
Wow - are Newtek losing customers or something? - I mean, gee - If all I needed to be a '"pro" was Lightwave, i'd have bought it years ago, and taken the course to explain it's interface, and read the scrolls on where everything is kept, that is so obvious in other "non-pro" apps! :applause:

Before anyone accuses me of over reacting!:rolleyes: - I get the marketing ploys reasoning - it's just a tad patronising in it's approach! :hmm:

If I thought it actually had more to offer than my current software investment, I might consider adding it for.. something.. :)

Titus
05-17-2005, 02:09 AM
Lets call this (the press release) an unfortunate marketing decision. The price of the LW electronic upgrade is good, though.

fez
05-17-2005, 02:15 AM
Boo-hoo-hoo.

RobertoOrtiz
05-17-2005, 02:38 AM
Keep it light guys....

-R

fez
05-17-2005, 03:12 AM
I apologize for the unprofessional post.

You really can't go wrong with any 3D package these days but I still think that, in a crunch, Lightwave is one of the best solutions out there...especially with Fprime and G2.

For any lingering Lightwaver 7.5ers: 8.3 is super stable and fast. For folks using other software: this is a fantastic deal that boosts the 3D arsenal of any artist.

pogonip
05-17-2005, 03:18 AM
I tried lightwave coming from 3d max and it was like an alien wrote the program ...the layers thing and just the way you had to navigate the interface seemed like 1 step forward 2 back . Guess I was going about it wrong or something cause ID had no problems making Doom 3 with it :shrug:

fez
05-17-2005, 03:55 AM
I use Lightwave with Max. After being won over by Lightwave 7.5, I basically abandoned Max until Max 7. I personally think they are a pretty powerful combo, especially now that Max 7 has that sweet SkinWrap, which makes it much easier to drive imported meshes without worrying about topology changes (so that animation and modeling can be worked on simultaneously).

Max 7 is awesome but there is really nothing like Lightwave's Weight Maps and Endomorphs in Max. Those two features alone offer a phenomenal production boost that may very well change the way you work. Changed the way I worked, anyway.

RobertoOrtiz
05-17-2005, 04:00 AM
One thing we avoid in the forum is app pissing contests.
I will close this thread and reopen it with strict controls
if this goes on.

-R

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2005, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.