PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver GTVA

LucentDreams
05-16-2005, 12:36 AM
I have to make sure we get this started for vancouver too. With so many great studios in Vancouver as well as the large number of CG related schools we'd be fools not to have one. We could have a close relationship with the Local Siggraph chapter I already go to a fair number of their events now.

M.E.L. I'm expecting you to get involved with what little time you can too of course.

When we get some people interested I could probably get some time booked at Vancouver film school or my building has a nice conference room and small theatre in it to have a first meeting and figure things out.

So whose interested.

BadgerSundae
05-16-2005, 01:20 AM
Being a current VFS Foundation student and soon to be VFS 3D student, I'm certainly interested. How much time I have outside of coursework to devote to CGS functions is another matter entirely, though. I'm hesitant to commit to much outside of school at this point, as I'd prefer not to underdeliver on anything.

What sort of structure and/or activities did you have in mind for the chapter? Is it a feedback and critique opportunity, a forum for discussing the state of the industry and opportunities in Vancouver, a group-project and career networking fiesta, or all of the above?

I suppose in the end, it's whatever we want to make it. Just tossing some ideas out.

LucentDreams
05-16-2005, 02:17 AM
well since the local siggraph chapter already does a lot of this I figured rather then competing with them it'd be best to work with them on such things. they just had the very successful digital media job recruiting fair at the end of april.

I think myself that students should be involved in actually setting up and running while still in school, once they finishe their course its always great to have them help run things but I'm very involved with VFS having been an grad myself, my GF currently studying there and jsut being an alumni that likes to keep in touch I know how little time you guys have to dedicate to this stuff. I think a monthly meeting would be the ideal and students would be more like attendees until they are done their studies, but hey I'm always up for ideas, I just feel that with the money put into these courses students should always put their studies first.

bentllama
05-16-2005, 09:12 AM
being a canadian living and working in seattle, I really should get up to van city more often...if only for the big turks...yum.

gimme a holler kai if you organize anything.

urgaffel
05-24-2005, 01:28 PM
With some luck I'll be attending VFS this fall and I'd love to be able to go to CGS events, and help out if time allows.

Hope to see you guys there!

Rens
05-24-2005, 02:33 PM
I'll be attending the VFS 3D course this August. Count me in! :)

LucentDreams
05-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Just a small note for those keeping an eye on this thread, Blue Sky will be recruiting in Vancouver Monday May 30th, they will be doing a presentation in collaboration with Vancouver fillm Shcool and the local Siggraph chapter at the VFS New Media Campus Main Theatre. 300 Homer and Hastings Street 7 PM

They prefer VHS Demo Reels with a CV and reel summary printed. They will also accept working DVD's (my recommendation is DVD-R's as they will be more compatible then DVD+R's) Do not simply bring cards with web addresses to online reels they will not look at those.

For more info or to RSVP send me an email at kaiskai@vfs.com and I'll pass it onto the right people.

whalerider
08-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Any update on this initiative? Did you guys set up anything?

M.E.L.
08-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Wow... yeah I'm only 3 months behind on this thread :eek:

I'd be game for this, though I'm not sure how much longer I will be in Vancouver as my contract ends here at the end of the month :shrug:

-s

BernieK
08-11-2005, 07:18 AM
gonna start the 3d-animation & vfx course at VFS in feb 06.

still some time, but i'm definitly interested in stuff like this...

cheers

KOKE
08-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I will start VFS in Oct 05, this sounds as a cool idea so if I have time I will be very interested :P.

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 04:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.