PDA

View Full Version : is there a place for a movie editor in video games?

Fazer greg
05-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi! my name is Fazer greg and I'm a student to become editor at the I.A.D (Institut des Arts de Diffusions) in Belgium. This is my last year of study and as every body in that case I have to writte my "mémoire"! in english I think it is my end of study piece. Anyway, my subject is linked to movies, but also to video games,because it's a passion for many years, and I'm trying to know if in the video games there's somone like an editor who edit the cinematic scenes? and if it's not a movie's editor, who's in charge of that? and how does he/she proceeds?

I've already tried to contact some companies as ubisoft and Eden games without success.
Any idea or opinion will be received with gratitude,

Thanks for replying as soon as you can.

igorsandman
05-17-2005, 08:31 AM
Hello,

Given the overall poor quality of VG cinematics as it comes to film directing, I pretty much doubt there is an editor involved. There even rarely is a director involved. It's rather one of the CG team member who is in charge, but not an actual film director or editor. But then again, I don't have any experience in that area. I'm only guessing.
I would suggest you try to contact one of the employees at ubisoft. Some of them are members here like Pascal Blanché, Sparth or Raphaël Lacoste. They might give you some valuable pieces of information.
Good luck with your thesis.

A bientôt.
-IS-

spirogyro
05-19-2005, 06:22 AM
Hello Fazer,

If you are a gamer, then you obviosly know that cinematics are becoming very important in video games. In the past, we've seen some intoductions and cutscenes that are high rez and truely amazing. Now, companies are able to maximize the capabilities of the current gaming machines and are making what is called 'real-tme" scenes, which mean that they use the same characters and environment used in actual gameplay to make these scenes. It's obviosly faster, and can be customizable. So lets say you make a unique character, your character will be in the sequence, not a premade high rez model. As far as quality is concerned, with the up and coming next-gen machines and future machines, the quality will be very close to the prerendered versions. Companies, more and more, are adding these depts. because it has become so important. These people are called Cinematic Artists. There job is take models and set-up scenes. They then edit the scenes into compositions with sound effects and music and you then have yourself a cinematic sequence. Not all companies have actual depts. just for this. Igor is right, I think that some companies do just assign animators to do this, but more and more this will be a very important position in the video game industry.

I hope this helped, if you have any other questions, you can send me a messege.

orange360
05-20-2005, 07:51 AM
hi, i found this listing for a 'digital cinematographer' could be what you had in mind...

Digital Cinematographer</FONT>

Job Summary
Working with the Animation Director, Art Director and Design Director, the Digital Cinematographer is responsible for creatively driving all cinematic aspects of all games in production at the studio. The Digital Cinematographer serves as both a digital camera operator and 3D lighting artist, consulting with the Design and Art teams in the creation of dynamic camera compositions, expressive lighting setups and creative cutting, both in gameplay sequences and in-game cinematics, telling the story and communicating the needs of gameplay in the most entertaining and exciting way. Through these techniques the Digital Cinematographer will help affect the mood of gameplay and cinematic sequences and influence the players’ perception of the action, the characters, and the story

The Collective, a division of Foundation 9 Entertainment, is working on numerous high-profile projects for current and next-generation platforms. We are searching for new talent. If you are passionate and creative and looking for an opportunity to craft extraordinary fun and successful games, then our studio is the place to be. For more information or to apply online go to www.collectivestudios.com.
</FONT>

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2005, 07:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.