PDA

View Full Version : Shape Track (Morphing)

xmb
10-10-2002, 04:10 PM
How do i morph properly between any kind of Objects?
i've seen the experience videos where the guy is using the shape track to morph between heads.
but i didn't figure out how to set up a proper morph like this.

to test it i...

> created a cube & a sphere

then i tried something like select an object and then go to the animate>deform>shape>select shape key

but i dont know how to do it properly

then i loaded the clips and did a transition, but it's not working.

any suggestions? thanks a lot

ggg
10-10-2002, 05:06 PM
a sphere and a cube?
topology, #point
rtm

xmb
10-10-2002, 05:12 PM
tell me please

i have no real manuals, since i'm using softimage experience.

only the installed help, but this isnt always a big help. and the videos cant always answer my questions too.

ggg
10-10-2002, 05:29 PM
sorry but you did say "the boards were faster than looking up the manuals so you have them

these are the same manuals as everyonelse has, same maunuals as I have, I infact use the experience help off my 2nd CD drive not the one that came with my xsi

x:\Documentation\htmldocs\wwhelp\java\html\wwhiefs.htm

or put following line in netview
x:\Documentation\htmldocs\anim\shape_anim.html#425880

ctrl f to find "number"

-whenever you want to do soemthing just look it up, the XSi manual is quite decent, just follow the steps for shape or whatever

topology is worth looking up elsewhere

xmb
10-10-2002, 05:34 PM
in fact i deleted these help-files, i only have the help from the menu. and i cant find the experience installation files anymore. it means i would have to download those big files again. but i guess thats an alternative to not bothering you guys always (but then again what's teh forum here for)

i'm sorry if you're tired of answering. i just thought this is pretty easier for you.

i'll try to help myself as hard as i can now.

ggg
10-10-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by xmb
in fact i deleted these help-files, i only have the help from the menu. and i cant find the experience installation files anymore. it means i would have to download those big files again. but i guess thats an alternative to not bothering you guys always (but then again what's teh forum here for)

I highly doubt that others would agree that, that is what the forum is here for ;)

like any forum it is to help each other, looking at the manuals would help you, others have said rtfm, I have just said rtm because your answer to all quesions asked so far would be right there while folllowing the steps on how to do it in the manuals and more fully explained.

In other cases often one is unable to figure it out or overlooked it in the manuals, or it is not really covered or its a bug or a feature not yet offered, etc.

xmb
10-10-2002, 06:06 PM
ok, i apologize sir.
i'm young and i need to learn some things.

i just thought when i want to know how to "morph" objects, that there is no word "morph" in the manual to look up for (or for any other particular example). instead i guess there are explenations for some shape commands which could be used for a lot of other things. but i'm downloading now the big experience files again and will try to find my answers as much as possible there.

geoath
10-11-2002, 12:36 AM
in case u haven't downloaded the manuals yet...

what ggg was talking about is that the target must have the same number of vertices with the original object..
one solution is to duplicate the original object and manually manipulate it to the shape u want , or
schrinkwrap a duplicate of the original in a target that has different topology..

in your case, if it's a head u can duplicate the head a couple of times and use the shape> select shape key command..
u can manipulate the targets in any time..before or after the selection..

when u'll get familiar with XSI u'll see that there r many ways to do shape animation..as with cluster shapes (no need of duplicates)..nulls as deformers ect..

hope this helps
george

xmb
10-11-2002, 06:40 AM
thanks a lot.
so morphing between objects with different topology isn't possible. what a shame.

ggg
10-11-2002, 07:23 AM
inability to "morph" surface topology of different types is not really a software feature limitation its mathematical, but the inability to "morph" surfaces of different # of points is a bit of a limitation, "morphing" by using average of points in certain proximity with certain grouped points given priority, is a tool that can be made in another app with existing ops, I'm sure it could be done in XSI with scripting too.

do you have manuals now? ;)

xmb
10-11-2002, 07:36 AM
yes i have the manuals now. i've overseen them, but now they seem really helpful.

:annoyed:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.