PDA

View Full Version : FXWars! CarCrash!: ScottageCheese

ScottageCheese
05-14-2005, 04:42 PM
So it begins... again...

I'm in... I'm looking to do a very violent (real-time, no slow mo B.S.) car tumble... Not sure if I'm going out of my way to composite it, or just focus on the dynamics and FX.... but... we'll see... I have much brainstorming to do....

Good Luck...

ACamacho
05-15-2005, 01:38 AM
Woah your at it again.:) Can't wait to see your WIP's scott!

ScottageCheese
05-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Is anyone else having as much of a hard time as I am with this?!?! Hahaha... Fun stuff... but %^$&* is it pissing me off!!!

So here is my rough sim... first pass.... I'll probably speed it up JUST a tad in post...

I'll try and go the distance with rendering... Because i dont want to do a crash on just payment, I want to get earth and grass thrown all around from the car digging into the ground....

So... This is all driven dynamically.... I'll probably bake it at this point, and then put my REAL car in there, with flapping doors, and bumpers... LOTS OF RIGGING!!! great challenge pick by the way Roberto...

http://www.cgcreator.com/sgt/fxwars/car_layout_001.avi (http://www.cgcreator.com/sgt/fxwars/car_layout_001.avi)about 4 megs

SuperMax
05-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Great Vid Cheese

Just some suggestions.

The car needs weight. At the moment it looks too light flying through the air like that.

Just looks like something hollow tubling. Can you add weight to where the engine might be?

I just get the feeling the car is somewhat floating a bit when its doing its turns in the air.

Other than that, looks good for what it is.

ScottageCheese
05-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah Dude... I totally hear you... I really like the timing of the bouncing, and the impacts... I might just bake the sim at this point, and then have a buddy of mine tweak the keys.... also, once the dyanmic car is on there, the reaction time will be a bit different... with the roof caved in and all... but yeah... going to try and make it look as violent as possible....

SoLiTuDe
05-31-2005, 04:00 AM
wow man... that does look great so far. but like he said, add some more weight! I can't wait to see some particles and dents

ScottageCheese
06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Yeah, this is not easy at all... very hard to find a starting point in all this mess...

So... here is my sim, made the impacts a little harder, the particles are going to be dirt and grass thats getting ripped up, i might have one of the doors and/or truck get ripped off, and the street will have debris all over the place...

About a meg (http://www.cgcreator.com/sgt/fxwars/car_layout_002.avi)

I'm not working on this as much as I would like... I doubt I'll ever get to rendering.... Just shooting for a good sim....

Next, all the blendshape, and dynamic chunks flying off of it

Baby steps...

ACamacho
06-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Awesome Scott! Good ol action cam. :)

The only thing I noticed, and it's probably nitpicky, is near the end where the car does it's last flip. It seems forced and ends up a little lightweight. Other than that, it's awesome and keep it up. Don't give up man!

*edit: Hey if you ever need any help as far as environmnents I'd be glad to work something up.....well if time permits. :)

KnickKnack
06-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Man, I am very impressed, like your last work with moonshot, this stuff is really top quality.

May I ask a couple of questions?

Firstly, what have you used for the physics, the shaded view looks like Maya, does it have a built in rigid bodies system? Is it quite versatile?

Secondly, did it take long to simulate the crash in terms of processing time; did you have much control over the motion of the car like when it flipped or how it rolled etc?

Sorry to be a nosey parker, but I've tried to do some simulations in the past with both XSI and Max with limited success; I could never get realistic results and most times, the computer would come to a complete halt when trying to do anything more complex than a ball hitting skittles! :D

If you could answer any of these questions I'd be much obliged.

Once again, fantastic work mate, really well done. :D

ScottageCheese
06-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Angel,
would I EVER... turn down your environment skillz?!.. COME ON MAN!!!.. hahaha... but again, just worried about the car sim... ask me again in a week or two... I was mainly thinking rolling hills and trees for this....

KnickKnack... to answer your questions...
First, if you look at my first link, thats my low res car. Runs in real time, and never really HAD control over it. Just typed some values, and hit play... over... and over... and over... until i got something i can work with. The car is an Active Rigid Body... and the road and grass, Passive Rigid Bodies.

Second, again, it runs in real time... I'm on a Duel 3.0 with about 2 gigs of Ram. And i just kept sculpting the ground and tweaked the values till i got a sim i could call... "done".... At that point I pretty much baked the keys, and grouped it to itself, and just adjusted the UPs and DOWNs for the impacts.....

Thanks for the comments guys... more to come... soon...

KnickKnack
06-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks for answering,

I'm looking forward to your updates, good luck :D

Roux
06-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Looks very cool ScottageCheese.

Are you planning to overlay damage deformation onto the parts now that the sim is done?
It looks like some of those parts should be breaking away as the car rolls on them.

The whole motion is very realistic and has very good weight - very believable IMHO:thumbsup:

RobertoOrtiz
07-02-2005, 02:37 PM
First I would like to thank Samuel Kvaalen for coding this voting page and hosting it.

Go >>HERE<< (http://kvaalen.com/cgtalk/fxwars/enter.php) and post your infromation if you want your animation to be part of the voting on Monday night.

-R

ScottageCheese
07-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Yes, I have failed you.....

sorry...

maybe next FXwars

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2005, 07:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.