PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Dark Crystal 2

Solothores
05-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Source: AICN (http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=20225)

Ahoy, squirts! Quint (quint@aintitcool.com) here... I'm not sure what to think of a DARK CRYSTAL 2. I'm happy that Henson Company is doing it, especially after seeing their awesome work on the Vogons in HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY) but will they give this movie the attention it deserves or will they be just trying to shoot out a direct to video sequel with a nostalgic name? Should a Jim Henson/Frank Oz-less DARK CRYSTAL tale exist in this world?

Variety confirmed this flick is happening with David Odell (scripter of the original DARK CRYSTAL as well as THE MUPPET SHOW and on the other end of the scale SUPERGIRL and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE) and Annette Duffy. The sequel will be called THE POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL and there is no one attached as a director yet.

I must confess a fondness for both SUPERGIRL and MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE as 80s cheeseball classics, but it really makes me happy that the original writer for the first movie is scripting the second. I just hope they're really wanting to take a stab at this for real and not do a direct to video cheapie. Either way, I'll be keeping my ear to the ground on this one. I've always preferred LABYRINTH, but DARK CRYSTAL is still very, very close to my heart. What do you folks think?

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117922745&cs=1

tdamcbigity
05-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Hmm... Don't know what I think either. There is such a neat conceptual design behind the Dark Crystal but it ended pretty well in the original film so... making a sequel is very weird to me. Perhaps Jim Henson's spirit so requested and if that be the case there must be a reason to gather the old for a rehash. There really should be more "Dark Crystal's" and "Labyrinth's" around, I find those types of films to be inspiring sources of creative energy.

PBlades
05-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Good news perhaps, I always loved Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, they're probably two of the most inspiring films from my childhood...

slimt73
05-14-2005, 03:50 PM
thanks for the FO

RobertoOrtiz
05-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Quote:
"The Jim Henson Co. is planning to make a sequel to its 1982 fantasy classic "The Dark Crystal." Odyssey Entertainment is handling worldwide sales for the project...."

>>Link<< (http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117922745&cs=1)
-r

Paul-Angelo
05-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Wow, looking forward to this. I hope they do it right and have an awsome script. :thumbsup:

L.Rawlins
05-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Labyrinth was genius... apart from David Bowies 'tight-crotch-trousers'. :eek:

Dark Crystal I didn't really like that much. Don't get me wrong, it looked really good, but from what I remember it bored me.

tdamcbigity
05-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Yeah David Bowie's crotch was quite the potatoe looming for us all. When is a rumored/projected release for this? I almost wish I could delve into the Henson arts rather than study computer animation at school... alas.

MattDixon
05-16-2005, 10:23 AM
I really hope they'll be using Brian Froud as production designer again.

Nemoid
05-16-2005, 12:38 PM
dark crystal is a great movie together with Labyrinth :) i rewatched it not so much time ago, as one of my friends passed me the DVD. it was cool as i remembered. hope they'll do this movie, and surely Brian Froud should do all design work and Jim henson studio for animation.

sure, finding a good story for DK is difficult, because of the ending of '82 movie, but the original writer could find something really interesting.a new DK could be very cool movie also because not many people remember the original one.

its time to feed up new visionary generations. :buttrock:

doghat
05-18-2005, 03:36 AM
Wow. Just the impossibility of it! I've had weired dreams about there being a Dark Crystal sequal, but never would I dare hope for one. Absolutely one of my favorites as a kid. I would like to think I have some distance from it now, and that I can just take it for what it turns out to be, but heck, I'm geeking out here. Anyway, the puppet folks rairly fail to delight. Anybody out there remember Dog City?

PokeChop
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
I think they should do a prequel, and show the events that caused the crystal's crack, creating the Skesis and Mystics. How many folks would love to see a young Ugra or a village full of Gelfling! Basically when Jen and Kira find the old Gelfling ruins - that story - from the beginning! Make it feel like the original, please please please!

Goosebumps!

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.