PDA

View Full Version : Stalker DirectX 9-Trailer

Solothores
05-14-2005, 02:53 PM
GSC Game World has released a new movie trailer for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, again showing off their long-in-development first-person role-playing action game. This high-resolution DX9.1 trailer demonstrates the game's graphics engine by way of in-engine cinematics and plenty of gameplay action in more than five minutes of somewhat horizontally compressed footage.

>>link<< (http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/stalker/stalkerdx9.1.wmv.html)

slimt73
05-14-2005, 03:50 PM
ya thats cool

Geta-Ve
05-14-2005, 11:00 PM
that was the stupidest thing ive ever seen... absolutely no point to that what so ever.. gfx were pretty good though..... but the lighting was wayyyyyyy too dark.

the reason i say too dark is because it doesnt look like you can see where your shooting.. like it almost looks like this is trying to be hl2 but with d3 mixed in, and to me it just looks like its a set up for major frustration. imagine trying to find an attacking rat thing in the dark? ya right, you'd waste alot of needed ammunition..

or perhaps its just cuz I dont fancy these types of games.. (dark dark dark ones)

ANYWAYS, ya the thing just looked like a big setup to show of the physics of the game.. im wondering if thats really a level in the game?

titaniumdave
05-15-2005, 12:40 AM
To dark? :curious:

The point was just to show the game in action. Its suffering from delays that puts it on par with hl2. Anyways I hope it comes out soon.

Gamoron
05-15-2005, 02:01 AM
They should release this thing soon before people forget about it. Everything looks this good now.

CGmonkey
05-15-2005, 02:05 AM
I hope they realize how boring their game look like and tries to fix it.

JDex
05-15-2005, 02:33 AM
Eh... I've had it with FPS games... run around, shoot people, pick up uber weapon mods off of random window sills. Mmmm fun yay *snore*

EpShot
05-15-2005, 02:56 AM
Eh... I've had it with FPS games... run around, shoot people, pick up uber weapon mods off of random window sills. Mmmm fun yay *snore*

umm.. then don't play them.

SheepFactory
05-15-2005, 03:13 AM
I cant wait to play this game , been waiting for it ever since i read about it early last year. But it seems it'll come bundled with duke nukem forever :\

Air.Borne
05-15-2005, 03:17 AM
On the computer at work (EB Games) I see that it is scheduled for a September release ... currently that makes it over a year in delays!

-Vormav-
05-15-2005, 04:29 AM
I think it looks pretty good. It SHOULD be really good, if the AI is all they've made it out to be.

lowkey
05-15-2005, 08:28 AM
it seems it'll come bundled with duke nukem forever

muhahaha, now that's some freakin' great gallows humour! maybe both of them will be included with the initial release of the phantom console?! :buttrock:

Have been looking forward to this one either. It does not seem to be one of these typical FPS-games. The whole set is really interesting and expectations are high. Hope it will be finished someday.

Solothores
05-15-2005, 08:46 AM
that was the stupidest thing ive ever seen... absolutely no point to that what so ever.. gfx were pretty good though..... but the lighting was wayyyyyyy too dark.

the reason i say too dark is because it doesnt look like you can see where your shooting.. like it almost looks like this is trying to be hl2 but with d3 mixed in, and to me it just looks like its a set up for major frustration. imagine trying to find an attacking rat thing in the dark? ya right, you'd waste alot of needed ammunition..

or perhaps its just cuz I dont fancy these types of games.. (dark dark dark ones)

ANYWAYS, ya the thing just looked like a big setup to show of the physics of the game.. im wondering if thats really a level in the game?

if you fear the dark, just wait till sunrise - at the end, they said something about dynamic day/night cycles. *g*

zappenduster
05-15-2005, 09:11 AM
a year ago this would have been a hit when hl2 with its colorfull athmosphere and doom 3 with its dark shadowed feeling wherent around but now it looks just dated

i hope this wont be another daikatana...

Geta-Ve
05-15-2005, 10:25 AM
if you fear the dark, just wait till sunrise - at the end, they said something about dynamic day/night cycles. *g*

nah not fear the dark, its just that it's a pain in the ass to aim in the dark, and I just don't have the patience for those games ;) haha

ok fine its a bit scary :cry:

brudney
05-15-2005, 11:20 AM
On the computer at work (EB Games) I see that it is scheduled for a September release ... currently that makes it over a year in delays!

well, they already announced it won't be released until 2006... hmm, begins to remind of duken nukem forever more and more. i'm afraid when it finally hits the stores it will look like sh*t compared to other games. let's hope the gameplay will blow us away.

rebuilder
05-15-2005, 03:20 PM
In an interview I read somewhere the devs said an advertising campaign would start 6 months before the release. So by the looks of it, it'll be a while still.

L.Rawlins
05-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Heres a thought...

What's the point in owning a bitchin' (technical term) gpu if you can't see anything?!

It strikes me as odd that modern games like this and Doom 3, that aspire to create mood and atmosphere require such intensive systems; when, at the best of times you cannot see more than three feet infront of your face. :)

Moonblood
05-15-2005, 04:34 PM
imho it will not be state of art at releasedate...there are many great looking games in developement at this moment

Solothores
05-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Regarding visuals that could be true, it "might" not be able to compete with Unreal 3 Engine powered titles or other next gen titles, but visuals were never the only interesting point about stalker, at least from my point of view, as such it still can be "state of the art" in other sections that FPS titles generally lack in, since a long time.

Cheers
Solo

Crithon
05-16-2005, 07:10 AM
I've read articles about Stalker which was enough to get excited about.... but this video is pretty bad.

The whole darkiness thing, for some reason I was thinking of Splinter Cell 3? Why were those masked guys there to kill those others guys only to do the SAME thing they were doing before? Is it the game running slugish or is the video running slugish? I had to check that out 2 times on different Quicktime version, terrible video quality.

Finally..... what's the deal with those rats? Especially the close up shots of them hoping on 2 frames of animation.... Wow! They looks like Womprats from Star Wars Galaxies.

I'm surprised they didn't release a tech demo for people to run on there Direct X 9 compatable 3D Cards.

Solothores
05-16-2005, 09:21 AM
The movie was captured with a limitation of 15fps that's why it stutters sometimes. But it's also the reason why a 5:25min movie in 640x480 resolution only takes up 43MB on your HD. As far as I undestood from several ppl this movie was just a demonstration for the DirectX 9 effects used within stalker.

Cheers
Solo

Edit:

Today we are pleased to introduce a brand-new video trailer of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. demonstrating one of the in-game missions fully in DirectX 9! The trailer, codenamed “The toughest enemy” is available in several resolutions:

Low (10 Mb)
http://files.gsc-game.com/st/e3_dx9/stk_dx9_lq.avi (http://files.gsc-game.com/st/e3_dx9/stk_dx9_lq.avi)

Medium (30 Mb)
http://files.gsc-game.com/st/e3_dx9/stk_dx9_mq.avi (http://files.gsc-game.com/st/e3_dx9/stk_dx9_mq.avi)

High (60 Mb)
http://files.gsc-game.com/st/e3_dx9/stk_dx9_hq.avi (http://files.gsc-game.com/st/e3_dx9/stk_dx9_hq.avi)

Commentary of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Project Lead/Lead Designer Andrew Prokhorov on ‘The toughest enemy' video.

The trailer shows an extract of one of the many variants of mission types from the game. The DX9 renderer is shown in all its beauty (although in the future we will show this functioning in full outdoors and in daytime). Lighting is all dynamic – even each blade of grass casts a shadow from any light source.

Combat AI is demonstrated - team actions, accurate reactions from the sounds of characters other beings, accurate reactions from the grenades as well as the AI ability to evade gun-fire and grenades, camping skills as well as ambush and group attack. We also show an example of one of the many types of anomaly that are randomly generated across the zone. This helps the gamer to understand the gameplay opportunities that they are afforded due to the nature of the anomaly, both in terms of detection and avoidance for their own survival, but also such as luring enemies into these energy disturbances for their own destruction., as well as the ultimate function of the anomaly which is to generate artefacts – the lifeblood of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The anomaly shown in the trailer is a heat anomaly – a whirling area of air tearing everything to bits.

Finally, a note on the blood sequences. As you can see when the characters take a few serious hits they leave a trail of blood. As they attempt to flee from their pursuant this trail allows gamers to track them – a note of caution to anyone who thinks they've escaped!

And for those that wondered about the russian lingo:

Theres nothign to translate... a bunch of STALKERs having random convos like "Damn the weather sucks," "Everythings clear, return to base," "I think I saw something," and at the campfire they speak of some STALKER buddy of theirs who died cuz he fell asleep in some unsafe locations.

loocas
05-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Hehe... I worked on the intro for this game... :p

I hope it will be as good as it looks... :shrug: Because it sure looks very cool! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2005, 09:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.