PDA

View Full Version : moved from general section-animation issues using dynamic curves

daraeill
05-14-2005, 06:21 AM
Ok first off, as an introduction, this is my first day as a member of CGtalk and I would like to say hello to everyone and to thank you all in advance for any tips/advise/help etc. I have just recently started teaching myself Maya, and have been using and learning it for a month now. Previously i taught myself 3DS Max, but decided i like the photorealism of Maya over that of 3d Studio Max, and would one day like to get into a career in CGI for movies and possibly games as well.

Now that my little introduction is out of the way---

I have been working on modelling and animating a trebuchet very similar to the reconstructed one at Denmark's Medieval center, Middelaldercentret (a link to the page with the 21-ton treb they built-- http://members.iinet.net.au/~rmine/middel3.html ). So far it is going very well and i've managed to figure out a workaround for a few issues i had (such as the counterweight intersecting with the throwing arm in the fully cocked position-i simply added some keyframes to the aim constraint object i used to keep the counterweight pointing at the ground). However, after trying several things i am still having issues when trying to use cloth and dynamic curves to simulate the sling and the winch ropes.
I've tried to get the dynamic curves to work properly and have looked into the maya help to see if it offered some solutions, none of which worked properly. Perhaps its just that i'm still very new to maya or perhaps the techniques are simply unsuited to the effect im trying to create...i'm not sure. I was thinking of possibly using blenshapes to achieve this affect. what do you think?

Any help, advise or tips would be much appreciated. :)
i also looked for applicable tutorials but no luck there...I'd also like any inputs/critiques you may have on the treb itself

SeanL
05-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Robert,

I would try to work out softbodies for these dynamics.

Having said that, my understanding is that dynamic curves are perfect for rope movement. You might try the alias site for a dynamic curves tutorial.

daraeill
05-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Thank you for the response Sean, deforming the sling itself with softbodies definitely sounds like it would work best for a realistic look; I'll definitely have to look for some more tutorials on that as well as dynamic curves. I've tried quite a few different ways of testing the dynamic curves but i'm having a problem with getting them constrained properly--they either dont want to stick together or to a "placer object" till i get the real sling done, or they dont want to follow the throwing arm and deform properly....I'll keep playing with it though

daraeill
05-18-2005, 10:04 PM
in case any of you might be interested or have any need-- i found a nice little script that attaches a locator to a selected CV on a dynamic curve, making it much easier to attach geometry to "hair"---very simple actually...wish i'd seen it earlier...anyhow i'm using it to join 3 seperate hairs to form my treb sling, using nurbs extrusions for the deformed geometry--so far its looking very good, but still requires a bit of tweaking before i will be happy with the result

heres the link to the script--- http://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/?group=melscripts&section=dynamics
the name is hairLoc.mel, written by Adrian Herbez

DangerAhead
12-20-2005, 02:48 AM
you're going to get some really weird twisting on that locator.

If so, extrude a small invisible nurbs surface, then use "rivet.mel" to put a locator the nurbs surface. It won't twist.

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2005, 02:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.