PDA

View Full Version : The Pascal Challenge !!!

cerreto
12-19-2001, 07:14 PM
me and logan arts are both new to the forum and fairly new to modeling , we often challenge each other and end up with decent models from the challenge while trying new methods and learning alot along the way !

so brainstorming we thought we would post a challenge for one of our favorite artist and the rest of our friends here where there is a wealth of tallent!, naming the chalenge illigealy after him (haha) If it works maybe we could make it a monthly challenge

The way it would work would be like this:

Each participant gets one rule for all the others, characters for example, i could say the character must have 4 arms or 3 fingers.

while somone else would say the character must have wings!
in order to suggest you would have to participate in the challenge! after the firts day alll suggestions stop and you have 6 weeks to finish the model no textures or rigging just solid modeling

As a prize we could go with the suggestion of winner takes all gets all other models but this would only be a suggestion as some do not like to give there great work s away so the award if any is open !but would give dreat motivation

As for people not having the time everyone should be able to squeeze out a model with no texture or rig in 6 weeks !

so how about it pascal cg gang any one feel like stepping up !

since this is a critque forum ill post the hand im working on

Regards

cerreto
12-19-2001, 07:28 PM
uploading pic it will be a minute

cerreto
12-19-2001, 07:48 PM
http://alshaheen.net/artists/cerreto/Untitled-1.jpg

not alot to it yet looks a little funky now will be tweaking it alot

Fledge
12-19-2001, 09:20 PM
I'd participate

Fledge

cerreto
12-19-2001, 09:25 PM
Fledge good to see you ! and glad to see your not afraid to play with some amauters hopefully some others will come out of there shells
!

marioucci
12-19-2001, 09:32 PM
I guess the challenges are one of the best methods for skills improvment!!!
iīve learned a lot from challenges since i was using rhino because when challenging you have deadlines to mind and this is a great way to train for a real job:)
with challenges you have the other challengerīs WIPs as a reference of the skills you wanna match and with challenges you can learn a lot and didnt realize you are actually learning because you are having lots of fun on the way!!!!!
So if this idea moves forward iīm on it for sure;)
see ya!

InnerVortex
12-19-2001, 10:09 PM
wo that seems cool.. im in my holydays now.. hehe
i think thats a good ideia..models only.. sounds cool.. nothing for lighting and rendering stuffs
im in!

floatingrunner
12-20-2001, 03:55 AM
err... does it have to be 3D... can it be conceptual art?!

vertex
12-20-2001, 05:41 AM
Sounds like an excellent idea, I'm not sure you need offer a prize to the winner. The thing that all participants will gain is the opportunity to see how other people tackle similar modelling challenges, (multiple arms, wings, 10 eyes etc.) The knowledge share could be huge.

I'm in. But please try and avoid 4 arms, 3 fingers and wings as it sounds like someone I used to date.

wolf
12-20-2001, 06:51 AM
That would be cool.
Could have a seperate forum catagory for it.
Would it have to be 3d , or could it just as well be drawings. Then we all vote in a poll for the best one.

toma
12-20-2001, 07:11 AM
I'm interested by this. When do we start ?

onearmedboxer
12-20-2001, 09:23 AM
Bloody good idea cerreto , ill be up for it . Im also trash at lighting and texturing so the rules sound sweet to me. It would be a cool way to compare styles and techniques .

Fire Me In

Airflow
12-20-2001, 09:57 AM
hmmmm, sounds very similar to somthing we have been planning on another forum, but would be interesting just the same. :P

Kadde
12-20-2001, 09:59 AM
funny ! i am in !

Pistols
12-20-2001, 10:03 AM
ca roule pour moi les gars

I'm in, "staaaaart your engines!"

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 10:05 AM
ok ok you win :D but lets say.. err.... after holidays? I'll be away from any computer for two weeks :p
We could start by deciding what the character will look like!

Conceptual drawings should be allowed too

Good idea!

Fat&ugly
12-20-2001, 10:07 AM
I'll participate in feb-Im currently trying to settle in Switzerland so I will not have a computer untill then... I miss my computer...omg, Im such a puter-nerd.

Pistols
12-20-2001, 10:29 AM
yep ... If the contest can take place next year it would be nice
nicer than modeling between champagne caviar and foie gras

IMHO

vertex
12-20-2001, 11:09 AM
The new year will be a good time to start this. It will also help to include all parts of the process like concept drawings.

Another extension of this would be to have animation studies, once everyone has their character the task should change to rigging that character for animation, again it will be be insight into how people tackle the same task.

It could include muscle deformation, facial animation, interaction with other objects etc.

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 11:32 AM
yes good idea .. but lets try to make a test with a first challenge with just modelling and rigging to see how things goes

So let's see who we have there for now:

Cerreto
Fledge ( no dragons fledge... :D )
Loganarts
Innervortex
Floatingrunner
Vertex ( do you have a photography of your last date? )
Wolf
Toma
Onearmedboxer
Airflow? You 're in?
Kadde
Pistols
me
FatandHugly

ok all these guys start... thinking about a particular rule

I say we'll model a male character, thin and tall.
Your turn guys :D

onearmedboxer
12-20-2001, 11:43 AM
He Must Be a Pirate . :D , How about that rule guys.

Airflow
12-20-2001, 11:51 AM
He must be alien. :P

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 11:52 AM
good so We have a thin and tall alien , profession pirate.. great!! let's see what the over guys will add to it.. really funny indeed :D

wolf
12-20-2001, 12:06 PM
How about a special clothing style. Could be streat wear, or something old, something asiatic.
Ok, my add, gotta have big clumpy feet and hands
:D

When all of thees sugestions are done, letīs list em and find out which.
Could be cool with a forum for this thing (as I mentioned once b4)

nick
12-20-2001, 12:08 PM
Great to see Loganarts and Cerreto introducing some great ideas to cgtalk :) Im in too by the way.

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 12:11 PM
so your add is officially: big clumpy hands and feet (what does clumpy mean? ) I think we should really stick to one rule, and play the game.. when someone say I want old looking clothes, nobody should came up after and say : I want futuristic clothes ok like this?

Pistols
12-20-2001, 12:26 PM
FOr my contribution :

Our little creature we are talking about will have a TOOL in his big hands

ANy kind of tool , but something useful for an alien pirate, with big foot/hand of course

Not necessarily a banal big gun ...something more ..original, all right ?

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 12:30 PM
more specific? a weapon? or the rule is: atool, whatever you want? (could be cool to let some space for personnal creations)

Martin-K-
12-20-2001, 12:37 PM
why not make it something revolving the LOTR theme?
like model your interpretation of gollum ?

Pistols
12-20-2001, 12:38 PM
I really don"t want to be more specific, I would love to have some space for imagination

When I think of a pirate, it can be so much thing at once and its a good way to build up a contest

For my Contribution, let's say our guy have a tool with him, like a magic Stick for a magician or a funny thing that he's attaching on his arm for making some pirate stuff

But nothing too specific....

I try to be clear, mais on peux s'arranger en francais si tu veux

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 12:39 PM
you are not playing with the rules martin ;) but hey.. should be our next challenge!

Golgoth_bla
12-20-2001, 12:40 PM
ok i'm in ! I play too ! :)
an alien pirate ? realy ? Here is my rule: he must have one part of is body mutilated and a mechanical thing instead (legs,eyes even a ears if you wish ;) )

toma
12-20-2001, 12:42 PM
Well, that seems to be a good idea for me.
So let's sum up :

Non-official CGtalk CG contest :

"Design, draw, or model (or any of those together) an alien pirate creature, holding in its "hands" any kind of tool (can be human-like or alien-like)"

Is that it ?

Would there be a deadline ?

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 12:45 PM
t'as oublié qu'il doit etre pirate, Avoir de grosses mains et de gros pieds, avoir une partie du corps rafistolee.. on attend encore un peu pour clore le descriptif, tous les gars de la liste n'ont pas repondu toi non plus d'ailleurs... tu rajoutes quoi?

toma
12-20-2001, 12:50 PM
Je traduis pour les autres :) (quelle bonne âme...)

So Pascal said "you have forgotten he was a pirate, has big hands and feet, must have a mechinical part in his body etcet"

So, what would i add ? Well. Somehitng more "conceptual", taht can hardly be described. I'd say that this creature should not be frightening. Friendly looking, in order that, if one day, you meet it in a forest, you just are not afraid of it and want to go to talk to it, talk about space travels etc...

mmmmm in fact that's ridiculous :rolleyes:

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 12:53 PM
your rule is: Good looking?

onearmedboxer
12-20-2001, 12:55 PM
Hey Pistols How about a spoon , even alien pirates got to eat .

wolf
12-20-2001, 12:58 PM
Heh, by clumpy i meant, not just big in one direction, but in all dimension. The reason I thought of this is, it could look funny as a VERY strange contrast as his skinny.
Like the idea about a LOTR based competition, how about a Balrog ?

wolf
12-20-2001, 01:00 PM
And i forgot. Yeah itīs okay the way u say.

Pistols
12-20-2001, 01:04 PM
onearmedboxer:
Hey Pistols How about a spoon , even alien pirates got to eat .

Hey Since the Spoon is a PirateSpoon, its ok :) ... involving a design according to our rules :)

a Magitian Stick is just a simple a dead woodbranch ...in appearance ...
---------------------
Toma is in my back ...want to say something sweet to pascal :

Just "friendly looking" not a handsome alien...
--------------

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 01:05 PM
again, a balrog could be really challenging and should be defintivly a next one. Creating our hown character is quite funny too :D

Ahaha oki ....friendly looking. ...me bad english....

Et encore t'as pas l'accent la...

Pistols
12-20-2001, 01:10 PM
We are just sharing ideas ...

We can change the rules it self while its still possible ...

A good contest idea means a bit of reflection don't you all think ?

InnerVortex
12-20-2001, 01:11 PM
yes.. give a little space for imagination...i just think... it need a... TAIL!!

toma
12-20-2001, 01:14 PM
well, french people such as You, Pistols and me have a bad accent... in fact it may be a "cute" accent, depends the person you're talking to i guess !

Anyway, there is still nothing decided.

Someone should be choosing, selecting what has to be done in that contest, otherwise, everybody will be telling funny things to make, but nobody will make anything !

I vote for Pistols :)

Martin-K-
12-20-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by pascal blanché
you are not playing with the rules martin ;) but hey.. should be our next challenge!

haha actually i just skimmed the rules and what people were suggesting..
i guess that after seeying the movie and had been awake 25 hours already you dont seem to grasp concepts as easily:)

( 26 hours now..and counting. :)

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Pistols
We are just sharing ideas ...

We can change the rules it self while its still possible ...

A good contest idea means a bit of reflection don't you all think ?

agree, you have to feet with the description or model what this decrition inspires you,not do it by the book! (a la lettre)

toma
12-20-2001, 01:57 PM
OK so that would be really nice that we choose something before 24 hours.

Pistols and I will then be in holidays, and no net at home :)

I'm really motivated, and would like to do my best, and moreover, i should be making my own demo reel so that i can search for another job...so that contest could at last launch me on the "creating process" !

So ? Pascal ? Would you like to sum up the contest topic ? :D

ikmo
12-20-2001, 02:05 PM
I'd also like to get in on this! Hope it's not too late.

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 02:17 PM
would love to toma, but we should wait a bit more for ceterro, loganats and other that are still asleep (why the earth has to be spherical) but here is for now where we stand:

the character will be a Male, thin and tall, I wil have to be Alien like, with big hands and feet and a tail, Outfits look like he is a pirate, have a prosthetic part and an item in hand, like weapon, magic item or spoon ( :D ) and be friendly looking I think i forgot nothing.... so we can start with that for the ones who are in urge to begin.. But once again, try to wait the other adds, so ikmo if you want to be in, no problemo

ikmo
12-20-2001, 02:35 PM
Great! I'm really excited about creating this "pirate-guy-thing":p

Since he's a pirate, doesn't he need a sidekick - like a parrot on his shoulder? Since he's an "alien-pirate-guy-thing", his sidekick could be anything, but probably should be on his shoulder.

Maybe?

henry

InnerVortex
12-20-2001, 02:50 PM
that is being very cool.. i already started something:)
and i really wanna see what you guys will gonna do, it sure not be 2 characters alike.. even with that all expecifications:)

Fledge
12-20-2001, 03:28 PM
For my contribution, he must have......

1 Mechanically enhanced arm!!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHA ha

bassaminator
12-20-2001, 03:36 PM
can I get in?

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Fledge
For my contribution, he must have......

1 Mechanically enhanced arm!!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHA ha

heya fledge! he has already a rule that you can use for your arm.. (a prosthesic thing) don't you have something else? a dragon head?? :D :D :D

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 03:45 PM
sure bassanimator :) but maybe just to participate following the actual rules, no more people on adding rules or it's gonna be too complicated.. still waiting for the come back of the authors of this cool idea :D

Fledge
12-20-2001, 03:49 PM
Alright, i guess i didn't read EVERY post on here, :p.

So lets see, scratch the mechanical arm, and... lets add.... A nice set of wings.
could be feathered, could be bat like, you choose, whatever you see, could be mechanical if you want. ? or should that be chosen, by me or another?

rendermonkey23
12-20-2001, 04:40 PM
I'm all about this. I think for voting we would need some kind of simple poll. Maybe Jean Eric or Leonard could jump in with some poll assistance.

Cant wait to start :)

Also, about the traditional art, I think that might make this to broad. Judging something with 3d AND traditional would be like saying this apple is better than this orange because of it's color or whatever.

Are we even gonna vote?

$.02 cha ching!

By the way... I'm in.

marioucci
12-20-2001, 04:55 PM
woooshhh!!!
thats great!!!!
you are great people!!!
thats the spirit!!!!!
well i'm too thrilled now to think about new ideas to the topic:)
i agree with what we have so far and am already brainstorming it..
i just think we should have a deadline, maybe in feb 1st or something and it would be great if we had a thread with the rules only so people wont get lost in the way and the future challengers that will come can read it and start working!!!!

cerreto will like the pirate thing... he keeps calling everybody a pirate and i really dont know why:)

this is going to be a huge event in digital art history!!!!!!!!!
loggie

rendermonkey23
12-20-2001, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by loganarts
it would be great if we had a thread with the rules only so people wont get lost in the way and the future challengers that will come can read it and start working!!!!

Agreed :)

Golgoth_bla
12-20-2001, 04:58 PM
you re right monkey !
so.. what about make the two ? design AND modelling ?
or install two category and two winners ?
one for drawing and one for modelling ?

rendermonkey23
12-20-2001, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I'm totally down with that. I'd love to see some drawn stuff.

Golgoth_bla
12-20-2001, 05:13 PM
and for the scores ? it could be nice
if each "player" give a note to the work of the others ?
but that mean that the full rules and the names of the players must be write soon as possible...

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 05:20 PM
tu veux ty coller Marc? :D :D

zeebit
12-20-2001, 05:26 PM
um, i am in. tried to post earlier, but that whole new forum, new register think got me.

Matt-Clark
12-20-2001, 05:56 PM
Not sure I'll have the time, but I'll play too. ;)

wolf
12-20-2001, 05:57 PM
Ok, letīs see. We got pretty many things now. He must also have wings as someone said. Could u list Pascal (as íīm to lazy :D ).
Should we keep it here. Itīs hard if to many things to remember. I think both drawing and 3d should be allowed, and offcourse also digital coloring.

Golgoth_bla
12-20-2001, 06:05 PM
so ok lazy one ;)

the character will be a

a Male, thin and tall
he will have to be Alien like
with big hands and feet and a tail
Outfits look like he is a pirate
he must have a prosthetic part
An item in hand, like weapon, magic item or spoon
he must be friendly looking
and he must have some wings (yes me too i hate the guy who find that ! ;) )

And Mr blanché and me propose this rules (what do you think about that loganarts ?)

the game have two categorie and two winners (chose your favorite so... )
Drawing (scan or digital, color or not as you want )

modeling (no texturing, only the model with posing )

In both cases, you'll have to show the specifics of the description. As for the drawing, do a model sheet (that's a good exercice

rendermonkey23
12-20-2001, 06:16 PM
Just wondering...who said thin and tall? I cant find that one anywhere.

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by pascal blanché

I say we'll model a male character, thin and tall.
Your turn guys :D

:D me :D

rendermonkey23
12-20-2001, 06:22 PM
HA HA HA! OK...ok...I just cant get a big fat character out of my head. This same guy just keeps smacking me in the face. :D

pascal_blanche
12-20-2001, 06:24 PM
I dunno where to put these wings either :D Try to play the game, lots of fun ;)

Golgoth_bla
12-20-2001, 06:53 PM
i now the answer pascal, me y have found a idea for the item AND the wing.....
yes he going to eat chiken wing's that pirate ;)
?? who said cheater ! i heard that ! ;)

3dflasher
12-20-2001, 07:36 PM
Man this thread blew up in a second!!! I want to play too. since I am late I will not throw another Idea in the pot, but I nocticed some Ideas that may or may not conflict with each other. Maybe we could have a main brainstorm list of like 20 Items and all participants have to choose 5 Items out of the list to make the character. Also with a main overall theme.
Say Pirate is the main theme and then you pick and choose 5 from the many attribute list. From the way its going now, Its sounds like it will be a funny looking character. No problems with that its just by the tone of peoples typing :) you can tell they might want a serious model. Ohh.. did I mention I was in :)

Golgoth_bla
12-20-2001, 08:17 PM
well i don't now flasher....
this limit of choise IS the challenge, so i think it's better to keep this like that...
I think this description is just enough to let everybody build something very different

LAZY_Dave
12-20-2001, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Airflow
hmmmm, sounds very similar to somthing we have been planning on another forum, but would be interesting just the same. :P

I wonder where that idea came from? :mad:

JoBbE
12-20-2001, 09:37 PM
hmm that sounds like a funny task to do. I think I'm in if you don't mind...
but I'm not going to add anything to the list.. oh..wait... what about this one: the character's gotta have 3 eyes at least

fellipe
12-20-2001, 10:04 PM
ok im in...can I? drawing of course.

a big armed alien pirate, with a mechanical body part, holding something between a spon and a gun...and friendly looking

thats a chalenge

sigma
12-20-2001, 10:11 PM
Im in, but this character is getting a bit complicated. Someone needs to set up a vote for all these suggestions. I cant remember them all. Keep it simple.

JoBbE
12-20-2001, 10:14 PM
hm yes.. we need a vote.. but the basic design should stay.. that tall & thin alien pirate with a tool/gun

sigma
12-20-2001, 10:41 PM
the basic design should stay.. that tall & thin alien pirate with a tool/gun

sounds good to me JoBbe. Got to simplify the criteria. Of course a couple more suggestions would be ok. I just want to have some artistic freedom :p

Matt-Clark
12-20-2001, 11:22 PM
I think we already have enough in these:
1) Male
2) thin and tall
3) Alien like
4) Big hands and feet
5) a tail
6) Pirate themed
7) A Prosthetic part
8) an item in hand, like weapon, magic item or spoon (?!)
9) friendly looking

I left off wings as it's turning into a hotch potch of several
cliches...

Of course I'm only saying this cos I've already got an idea for
the above... ;)

rendermonkey23
12-20-2001, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I've been wanting to say that wings might be over the top with the current character. If everybody wants them though.....that's cool too. :)

pascal_blanche
12-21-2001, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Matt Clark
I think we already have enough in these:
1) Male
2) thin and tall
3) Alien like
4) Big hands and feet
5) a tail
6) Pirate themed
7) A Prosthetic part
9) friendly looking

I left off wings as it's turning into a hotch potch of several
cliches...

Of course I'm only saying this cos I've already got an idea for
the above... ;)

k.... those who want wings can try ( i had an idea about this one;) )

for the final release, what do you guys think about February the first?

Golgoth_bla
12-21-2001, 12:11 AM
I m agree with the guy before
but i think it will be fun to keep the wings
let your imagination goes on guys
this famous wing nothing is write about the location of them, the size, or even if there are in fletch so..
It'll will be interresting to see how everibody transform that "trap"
the trap is : something who's not really cool for the character
agree ?

InnerVortex
12-21-2001, 12:51 AM
thats fine for me.. theres plenty of time, thats good for the ones that have more stuff to do than this.. and beginners like me that have more time to do it:)
and.. note.. modelling only:p
it will be a rule like the way u show the model?
what about screenshots only? hehe..
ide like to se some non smothed models here too, can be learn alot with it

cerreto
12-21-2001, 03:19 AM
oh my GOD !!! i created a monster ! its funny when i had this idea yesterday and purposed it to logan arts i had never dreamed of this kind of turn out i mean lsat night there were 3 responses i go to a all day long party and come back to the biggest repnse page ive ever seen here LOL

immediately i see this running away really fast !! i think some kind of chart will need to be made and then every one can vote to decide which items we all agree on to a point like a template

weopon
tool
anatomy
handicap ?mutalation
teeth horns etc
clothing
acessories

this way we can realisticly achieve a goal with are busy schedules and still have a decent comp with out gettting in too deep

This is just a suggestion and it looks as if pascal is doing a great job keeping up ! thank all of you for bieng awesome and im looking forward to the new year starting it out by tying to beat all ye big dogs !!!

regards
Trav

cerreto
12-21-2001, 03:22 AM
oops with 86 post it looks as if i must have missed the fact my idea is already basicly sugessted holy s ! 86 post

cerreto
12-21-2001, 03:36 AM
wow actually stopped and read all the threads !

In response to air flow, the idea was a combonation of the chalenges me and logan arts have with each other, and getting bored with are models and wanting more of a chalenge!

and the sessions forums which i participate with martin in at spiraloid

we thought that letting everyone have a suggestion for others to do, would be cool and the colective imagination of many of the great artist here would result in some of the best models out there it wasnt intended to copy or step on any ones toes i apologise if anyone feels this way

feb 1st you all better pack you lunch !

toma
12-21-2001, 05:50 AM
Hi all,

mmmmmuuuahhhh just waken up :) I have seen LOTR yesterday evening, it was gorgeous !

For the contest, 1st of february is good for me.
Let's warm up your mice !

(i'm so impatient to see what the result can be !)

Maybe we could make a web page for the contest rules ? I think i can do it in some hours...let's see what i could make !

wolf
12-21-2001, 07:15 AM
Yeah fine with the 1st february. Not sure if i can make something in time, but iīll do my best.
How about Logan and Lil_Dragon, have they replied ?

Kadde
12-21-2001, 10:14 AM
i liked the ideia TOMA had in build a link with
the rules. 1st feb seems ok to me.
all the character rules are ok , but no wings, please !

lets's fire the brain and the mouse/tablets !

fellipe
12-21-2001, 10:21 AM
The 2D possibility stills open right?

Matthias
12-21-2001, 10:56 AM
yeah. good idea.

Iīam in, too!

pascal_blanche
12-21-2001, 11:06 AM
OK So the final rules for this first challenge are

1) Male
2) thin and tall
3) Alien like
4) Big hands and feet
5) a tail
6) Pirate themed
7) A Prosthetic part
9) friendly looking

10) wings optionnal (they can be organic or mechanic ;) )

Challenge competion expires february the first.

2D drawings accepted , you'll have to make a model sheet (perspective view + detail views )

3D: just modelling an rigging, textures are a +
Render it from different point of view so we can see details, try maybe to render it with a cool pose.

ok like this? we'll fix rules and procedures for the next challenge ;)

cerreto
12-21-2001, 12:42 PM
This is one of the things that will make this chalenge interesting! and dificult

a friendly alien pirate that has lost a body part with a tail with a weopon

Kinda like a inteligent crack whore with morals LOL

Looks like the biggest chalenge to it wont be other people but creating a belivable character which is great i love it and am very curios to see what we all come up with i personally wont be able to start until the new year which is packed in itself but will finish regardless thanks all for playing and pascal for letting us use you r name LOL!

cheers !

cerreto
12-21-2001, 12:44 PM
oh yea my thread has recieved almost 100 replies in 2 days i think i deserve jedi status HAHA !

floatingrunner
12-21-2001, 01:34 PM
saw my question answered...
so there :D

JoBbE
12-21-2001, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by cerreto
oh yea my thread has recieved almost 100 replies in 2 days i think i deserve jedi status HAHA !
2 posts left :D

Martin-K-
12-21-2001, 01:37 PM

2 more replies until that happens ( just reply to thos twice and use some excuse that your finger slipped :)

ofcourse if you do use that mistake you cant be a jedi...cuz jedi dont make mistakes. :p

InnerVortex
12-21-2001, 01:38 PM
OK So the final rules for this first challenge are

1) Male
2) thin and tall
3) Alien like
4) Big hands and feet
5) a tail
6) Pirate themed
7) A Prosthetic part
9) friendly looking

10) wings optionnal (they can be organic or mechanic )

2D drawings accepted , you'll have to make a model sheet (perspective view + detail views )

Render it from different point of view so we can see details, try maybe to render it with a cool pose.

ok like this? we'll fix rules and procedures for the next challenge

i think thats it

Fledge
12-21-2001, 04:16 PM
Should this creature/character, be modeled with animation in mind? or should we just got for a straight up sculpture? Meaning, ... should we model this in a pose of sorts? making it more dynamic? or should it be in a bind pose ready for animation?

Fledge

cerreto
12-21-2001, 04:50 PM
well im not speaking for all but im going for a happy medium one that can go higher or lower res but more than likely it will be a heavier model

Floating runner didnt see your question earlier sorry btw i love your avatar !

wolf
12-21-2001, 06:29 PM
Yeah cool avatar, reminds me of that psychotic alice from Mcgees (or whatever heīs called) game.
Why do we have to draw it from other views ? Can it just be drawn from one and then digitaly colored.
Still donīt see dragon :(

fellipe
12-21-2001, 08:27 PM
another thing...i have a sugestion to make: not posting the works related with the contest until February 1st...or else...imagine the situation: you have this great concept, but some guy posted first, another concept with some similarities...that could be really anoying

bob
12-21-2001, 10:59 PM
sounds like an awesome challenge

i want in :)

floatingrunner
12-22-2001, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by wolf
Yeah cool avatar, reminds me of that psychotic alice from Mcgees (or whatever heīs called) game.
Why do we have to draw it from other views ? Can it just be drawn from one and then digitaly colored.
Still donīt see dragon :(

that IS alice :D just colored her eyes. (don't you just love her -- sure beats the disney one.)
sorry to disappoint ya... haha
but i will make my own.. when i get the time.

Floating runner didnt see your question earlier sorry btw i love your avatar !

that's ok :D
but thx for answering....

Golgoth_bla
12-22-2001, 10:51 AM
you have to draw it from other views for see all the part of list without acrobatic posing ;)

also because this is harder to keep the design in several drawing ;)

and because working time on this creature will be equilibrate beetween 2d and 3d artistes :)

(apologies for my very weak english :p, did i say that my pirate model will be a french alien ;) )

pswitzer
12-22-2001, 03:06 PM
Wow, I like the idea! After new years would be good. I'm in. Would someone put an updated list of participants and rules? I'll put mine up after I've seen that.

I don't think I've posted much work on these board so this is a model I've been working on lately.

http://liquid2k.com/patswitzer/succubus.jpg

Khar_Negt
12-22-2001, 04:25 PM
I think I will participate too... I hope I could acheive it in time :)(lot of deadline for school too... eh eh :)
Salut aux francophones qui traine ;)

Irate The Mad
12-22-2001, 07:42 PM
I would like to join if it's not to late?

whats the description so far?

Golgoth_bla
12-22-2001, 08:58 PM
it's nerver too late ;)
OK So AGAIN !!
the final rules for this first challenge are

1) Male
2) thin and tall
3) Alien like
4) Big hands and feet
5) a tail
6) Pirate themed
7) A Prosthetic part
9) friendly looking

10) wings optionnal (they can be organic or mechanic )

ok

illustr8rX
12-23-2001, 01:59 AM
this is going to be very interesting...could I draw and model it?
this thread is growing like mad.
I look forward to learning with you all.

Flo
12-23-2001, 07:49 AM
sounds interesting ...
cool idea. Ill try to model with you.

Flo

Viekoslav
12-23-2001, 08:21 AM
Count me in!

Cheers!

kfiram
12-23-2001, 10:07 AM
Gee, this post is getting bigger by the minute. I feel like i'm cahsing after it. Will I make it to the last post, or will another page apear just as i click...?

Just love the concept!

smeag0L
12-23-2001, 11:27 AM
cOOl iDEa...

I'll try to do my best for modeling that...... pirate allien? :D

It would be good to put an email to know who is going to participate.... or something like that.... :)

(i like my shity english.. :cool: )

pascal_blanche
12-23-2001, 08:32 PM
that makes ..oh gosh.. 34 people involved in this first challenge, not bad! we gonna explode the forum on frebruary !!

marioucci
12-23-2001, 09:40 PM
oh yeah babe!!!!
hollywood will stop whatever they are doing at feb 1st to see the entries:)
i will be posting my wips along the way..
hope you dont mind:)

fellipe
12-23-2001, 10:59 PM
better not post any wip, or sketch, or whatever related with the contest....could be a real trouble if you find out that someone is using the same idea that you. the best solution is sending all the work to a e-mail acount (manage by pascal or anyone related), when the work is finished, then posting it somewhere. in that way we will know that everyone did the original, and we'll avoid a lot of trouble

cerreto
12-24-2001, 04:40 AM
i think showing your work as you go should be done on a voulantary basis ! i will be psoting mine so as i run in to troulbe on the way i can get feedback, as for people copying well if somone copies its usually pretty obvious and embarassing for that person ! so im not worried about that

Khar_Negt
12-24-2001, 05:19 AM
As it's just for fun I don't see who can be so stupid to stole idea... and as cerreto said it's clear when it happen :)
So that doesn't worry me... and it will make me draw a lot more than if I just begin the 30 january ;)

wolf
12-24-2001, 02:47 PM
Can we close this one and start a new one please ?
To many pages for me.

pswitzer
12-24-2001, 03:14 PM
Yes, maybe post one with the official stuff so it's clear for everyone.

fellipe
12-24-2001, 04:41 PM
the problem is not copying ones idea...the problem is having the very same idea =\ i hate when happens, not very offen tho.
but, a web page for the contest, or a forum section named "Contests" could be a great help...looks like the contest subject is and will be a very famous issue at the cgtalk community

pswitzer
12-24-2001, 04:59 PM
Well, you know there's a few ways I see getting around this 'idea' problem. One way is simply ignore it and have everyone do what they will (allowing people to post work in progress images, etc) or have everyone submit their image(s) to one or two designated people who will then put all of them up at once (however everyone should find their own web space unless someone is willing to host it all)

Golgoth_bla
12-24-2001, 10:31 PM
well......... anyway merry christmas guys ;)
we will see that stuf in 2002 now
so go to enjoy yourself
i going to speak withe THE mister blanché about the way to put our work online for january

you now... only an another froggy can understand a bloody froogy :o)
so....... go to eat go to drink and see you all later :o)

allez les gars ! c'est la semaine ou vous devez vous bousiller le foie on verra cette histoire de pirates plus tard :p

fellipe
12-25-2001, 11:58 AM
i share the same idea of patrick, about sending the images to designated ppl. i guess thats the best way

pascal_blanche
12-25-2001, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Golgoth_bla

you now... only an another froggy can understand a bloody froogy :o)
so....... go to eat go to drink and see you all later :o)

Ribbit!! Ribbit!! err.. I mean.. Crroaa CrroOAAA !!! hehehe noyeux joel et bonne annee, on reparle de tout ca dans 10 jours ;)

jam
12-25-2001, 05:21 PM
Since I'm new to this 3d thing, I'm in for the 2d part. I'll give the 3d a shot but I don't think
it'll look too hot.:D

Raideen
12-27-2001, 01:50 AM
I just found this post today
It sounds like fun. I want in....

rendermonkey23
12-27-2001, 02:20 AM
OK, I've been thinking about this for a week or so and I think that I could host all this mayhem. If all you guy's agree, I would be more than happy to host all this and deal with all the pics.

BTW, I wouldn't have any advertising on the site. Just purely my time for the love of the industry. :)

Let me know what all your thoughts are on this.

email me (visualboo@hotmail.com)

rendermonkey23
12-27-2001, 02:21 AM
I could also have all the current rules on the site so there's no confusion.

cerreto
12-27-2001, 04:50 AM
I think it would be cool to have a site or coulumn but i have a few worries about the wip pics here they are and i may be alone

part of the fun in this contest is going to be seeing the wip!

im about half way done myself and if i wait a month i dont think ill have any shots of my model wip ,and im afraid if we wait or send them in people wont want to post pics of the development stage! and just post the end result id love to see some others process like ive seen pascals finished model and some others but id like to see the way they work too plus seeing some peeks at the models will build excitment to see the end and who your toughest comp is also

:)
its going to take forever to look throgh all the peoples stuff almost as bad as this thread lol and the end result of having the same idea is going to be upseting if you see it before hand or not

One way to do this is to give everyone a thread with there name the people who want to show there work get advice crits etc can post as they go but must submit ther final to rendermonkey or somone else those who dont wish to show there wip s until the end can do the same

what do you all think save all wip pictures and finals or do something like i suggested so far it looks as if theres about 60 people id like to see at least 3 pics wip from each a wire frame etc and then the final that s 240 pics alot to look through or host really

marioucci
12-27-2001, 01:54 PM
well, about the wips:

i think that if rendermonkey host the rules and the pics, thats the best option. thanks a lot render:)
BUT! it must be a rule:
"all challengers must show the wips!!!"
IMHO or enerybody shows the wips or nobody show the wips..
the worst thing that could happen is somebody post a wip in jan 28 and the character is exactly like yours:( it can happen!!
so i guess there must have a rule like "post your wips weekly" and starting from the first week of january OR nobody post their wips and if theres similar characters, you will only know and laugh about it at feb, 1st.
for me i say lets post our wips every saturday starting in the first saturday of january:)
wips are the part of the challenge where u can actually learn something.., without it, this challenge will be just a regular competition between artists...
what u guys say??
we may vote and let the people decide:)

l_farley13_l
12-27-2001, 08:02 PM
Hey Pascal, Can I join in? (its only been what 4 days ?) If this is not seen I'll post again once this mess gets nice and organized. Mine (yes presuming a lot I know) is a bit cliche'ed so far, but is looking a bit babylon 5'ish ?!? Any way I'm all for WIP's to see the polish being put into thses models my . $02

Thanks guys,

Farley13

InnerVortex
12-27-2001, 08:33 PM
WIPS RULES!

pswitzer
12-28-2001, 01:34 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I think this may be getting a bit to complex and won't turn out the way it was first envisioned (however, I can't speak for cerreto.

I did recommend those few things and I may be contradicting myself, but if it's going to turn into a big huge deal I say this...

First off: You must be on the list (aka post in this thread saying you want to join), you can't just show up at the end and say you wanted to participate, but didn't post about it.

Secondly: Do what you will. I think the main goal is to simply have some fun and _learn_. So post your wips (which is a good way of improving as artists sometimes struggle to see their own faults).

And lastly: I am god.

Ok, well, maybe ignore that third one. :)

Pentagramma
12-28-2001, 08:15 AM
Hello everybody!

First of all, Iīm new to the Forum, so let me say a few quick things about me.

Iīm a brazilian 3d artist, and I work since `97 in Vetor Zero - one of the top local studios. We work basically with TV advertising, and once in a while music videos.

Also, in my - scarce!- spare time Iīm working in a personal project , a short 3d film called "Armadilha para Turistas" ("Tourist Trap") . In case someone is curious about it, I have a few images of my work in my site, www.3dluvr.com/camargo .

Well, enough of that. A few days ago Loganarts invited me to know the Forum, and eventually participate on the Pascal Challenge. I didnīt know the Forum, and itīs great - every thread vibrates with creative energy.

The challenge so far sounds exciting, and Iīm in. At first, I had voted "no" on the WIP poll, but Iīm ready to retreat, and post them (and thatīs Democracy!).

Best,

Alexandre Camargo (a.k.a. Pentagramma)

parallax
12-28-2001, 09:07 AM
i thought this thread was about coding...:D

underdog
12-28-2001, 09:35 AM
Hello everyone, count me in, looks like good fun and a good chance to learn. Im all for showing WIP's...can learn a lot by seeing other peoples work and getting comments and fresh ideas. Helps keep interest as time goes on as well....

lildragon
12-29-2001, 02:45 PM
ok guys there you have it, I asked Leonard to have this separate forum created for you all :) enjoy ;)

Joebount
12-30-2001, 08:33 PM
Count me in :)
I don't have a lot of time, but I'll do my best !

Y-Guy
12-31-2001, 05:32 PM
alright, im in too... do you need names or is this a free 4 all?

bentllama
01-01-2002, 08:45 AM
I am in...this seems like a great venue to share ideas and techniques. A great learning experience. After all, you can learn alot from your peers... :)

Take a peek at bentlama.com (http://www.bentllama.com), my website, for samples of my work.

I am a Character Animator but I do model too...

Something to keep in mind:

...there are 2 types of modelling...

...there is modelling for show, or modelling for animation
...I prefer both. There is no reason you cannot have a beautiful model, yet have geometry placement ready for ideal deformation...it is always harder to go back and make it deform properly...

I look forward to seeing all of your work...

Later,
Nater

cerreto
01-01-2002, 08:55 AM
COOL thanks for joining in i was hopeing youd come and play !

I agree on the modeling too but mine is going to be a digital sculpture cause i have a lot to model and little time to dod it so the mesh is going to be sloppy

hmc4me
01-02-2002, 02:13 AM
Hi
I've been off for a few days and don't want to read 4 pages of post.

So what we up to now?

Lev_0
01-02-2002, 02:14 AM
Sounds good, I'm in!

el gatto
01-02-2002, 11:19 PM
I'm in, not sure i'll have time for it , but i'll make time if I have to ;)

ciao

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.