PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 - 2005 release? Possibility!

Geta-Ve
05-14-2005, 12:24 AM
small article from IGN here (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/612/612985p1.html)

and for those that dont want to click

May 12, 2005 - In a surprising twist on the next generation hardware race, a Sony representative has stated that a year 2005 release for the next generation PlayStation is a possibility. Responding to questions from Jiji news service, Sony Chief Financial Officer Takao Yuhara states, "For the year end sales season, simultaneously building up both the PlayStation Portable system in America and Europe as well as the next generation PlayStation is one option that we have."

Most industry speculation calls for a next generation PlayStation release in 2006. Sony's third party developers have backed this assumption up with a strong list of PlayStation 2 titles planned for the rest of the year and early next. The state of the next generation PlayStation software shown at next week's E3 show should reveal if a 2005 release is a possibility for the new system, or if Yuhara's comments were designed to take some steam out of Microsoft's Xbox 360 unveiling later today.

Interesting stuff, but Im guessing like the article says its mostly just to take away the hype from xb360

itsallgoode9
05-14-2005, 12:30 AM
i'm sure it's just to take some hype away right now...I mean look at the threads in this forum over the last couple days. Everybody has been talking about Xbox 360 and Nintendo Revolution. Sony is kinda left out of the big hype at the moment.

PhilOsirus
05-14-2005, 01:41 AM
i'm sure it's just to take some hype away right now...I mean look at the threads in this forum over the last couple days. Everybody has been talking about Xbox 360 and Nintendo Revolution. Sony is kinda left out of the big hype at the moment.

Well there has been very little Nintendo Revolution talks other than hopes and maybes. I don't think they will release the PS3 this year anyway.

Geta-Ve
05-14-2005, 02:09 AM
if they release this year Im definatly not getting the first throw of them. gonna wait till the second or third just to let em get the kinks out ;)

M.E.L.
05-14-2005, 02:39 AM
small article from IGN here (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/612/612985p1.html)

and for those that dont want to click

Interesting stuff, but Im guessing like the article says its mostly just to take away the hype from xb360

hA!...ha!...ha! if they're planning this then I am going down and buying the liquor store out.

:scream:

Geta-Ve
05-14-2005, 02:57 AM
hA!...ha!...ha! if they're planning this then I am going down and buying the liquor store out.

:scream:

mind if i join? :D

SpiralFace
05-14-2005, 03:25 AM
if they release this year Im definatly not getting the first throw of them. gonna wait till the second or third just to let em get the kinks out ;)

Very good idea.

I've worked at the retail end of games ever since the original Playstation launch. And after more then 10 years, Sony has realy built up a reputation amoung the retailers for selling shotty first gen systems. PS2 was the worst as far as problems at launch, but then again, PSP seems to have been the most stable at launch, despite the dead pixels and the faulty square buttons (I know they said they fixed the problem, but I've already had a friend whos square button got shot out, and another one that had a faulty D-pad.) But PSP has'nt been around long enough to take the classic "First gen Sony system, with faulty lazers that will cash out on you once the warrenty expires" problem that plauged both the PS1 and the PS2.

No other systems have more technical problems the the Playstation line from what I've seen. So I'm going to wait about a year before investing in a PS3. If anything so the price whould go down 50 bucks around the holiday season to compete with the others. That and so all the kinks will be worked out.

Crithon
05-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Very good idea.

I've worked at the retail end of games ever since the original Playstation launch. And after more then 10 years, Sony has realy built up a reputation amoung the retailers for selling shotty first gen systems. PS2 was the worst as far as problems at launch, but then again, PSP seems to have been the most stable at launch, despite the dead pixels and the faulty square buttons (I know they said they fixed the problem, but I've already had a friend whos square button got shot out, and another one that had a faulty D-pad.) But PSP has'nt been around long enough to take the classic "First gen Sony system, with faulty lazers that will cash out on you once the warrenty expires" problem that plauged both the PS1 and the PS2.

No other systems have more technical problems the the Playstation line from what I've seen. So I'm going to wait about a year before investing in a PS3. If anything so the price whould go down 50 bucks around the holiday season to compete with the others. That and so all the kinks will be worked out.

That is sooooooo true! But what I do wonder is usually price drops on Sony Systems, I wonder when Sony will lower the price on the PSP considering it took almost a couple of years for the PS2 to drop down to $150.

Although back to the point, I wonder if the delay on the PS3 and the Nintendo Revolution has anything to do with the research on HD DVD and Blue Ray DVDs? It's only a matter of time till some E3 news spill out next week, but from what I keep reading a lot of companies are spending a lot of time and effort on current consoles then on Next Gen consoles. I guess we won't be missing much if we buy a new system this year or next year.

Onsloh
05-14-2005, 08:56 AM
Competition helps us all,i'll get all three just for the exclusives mates.:thumbsup:

SpiralFace
05-14-2005, 09:08 AM
That is sooooooo true! But what I do wonder is usually price drops on Sony Systems, I wonder when Sony will lower the price on the PSP considering it took almost a couple of years for the PS2 to drop down to $150.

Sony drops its prices when other competing systems also drop their prices. Remember at launch PS2's where $300 dollars retail. It might have taken them a few years to go down to $150, but they where very quick to drop their price down to $200 dollars after about the first year and a few months when nintendo droped their retail price on the Game cube down to $150.

What this means for the PSP I'm not sure, seeing as how they don't concider the DS that much of a market threat, but who knows...

My guess is that they'll come down in price if Microsoft jumps into the protable game buisness and trys to match or undercut the current PSP price. This is why corperate competition is always good, for the most part, the consumer always wins:thumbsup:

Solothores
05-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Just wonder, how competition would react, "if" the xbox360 would have crushing success...

SpiralFace
05-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Just wonder, how competition would react, "if" the xbox360 would have crushing success...

Personaly I whould rather have Microsoft ahead of the pack then Sony. I want more 3rd party companys to support their hardware. Thats the one thing Sony has going for it is its huge arsenal of 3rd party support and exclusive games. Microsoft just could'nt rangle up enough support fast enough. But the PS2 was such a poorly constructed peice of hardware, that was horrendously over priced (look at the technical specs of a PS2 compared to an xbox for the same price point.)

Geta-Ve
05-14-2005, 10:41 AM
ya but also look at which came out first, ps2. xbox had almost a whole extra year to get better tech inside the box. xbox was able to learn from sonys mistakes (sorta)

in that regard its not really fair to compare the two.

However either way ps2 still has devs cranking out better games for the system than for the xb.. :)

im confident the ps3 will do just fine.

archerx
05-14-2005, 01:51 PM
oh yea and just before its 2005 release sony is going to delay it because the ps3 will be able to launch nuclear missles :rolleyes:

rakmaya
05-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Personaly I whould rather have Microsoft ahead of the pack then Sony. I want more 3rd party companys to support their hardware. Thats the one thing Sony has going for it is its huge arsenal of 3rd party support and exclusive games. Microsoft just could'nt rangle up enough support fast enough. But the PS2 was such a poorly constructed peice of hardware, that was horrendously over priced (look at the technical specs of a PS2 compared to an xbox for the same price point.)

The only thing wrong with the PS2 was the insufficient support from sony regarding the game development. Technical wise, it is stable and well managed system. The difference between the two systems are very slim. There are eye-catchy games on both systems. Comparing xbox came after appx. 1 year after the ps2 launch, I am dissapointed in the fact that MS's poor development section which got over priced on their production cost even when they just assembled the system. What I am wishing for is nice games for xbox360 to go head to head with ps3. As far as the graphics are concerned, both will be awesome systems, but it all biold down to the games that the systems will have in the initial 6 months. After the 6 months, you can generally see where the road divides.

PhilOsirus
05-14-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm hearing the PS3 is not difficult to program for (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3) like the PS2 supposedly was.

SpiralFace
05-14-2005, 06:49 PM
ya but also look at which came out first, ps2. xbox had almost a whole extra year to get better tech inside the box. xbox was able to learn from sonys mistakes (sorta)

in that regard its not really fair to compare the two.

However either way ps2 still has devs cranking out better games for the system than for the xb.. :)

im confident the ps3 will do just fine.

All of this is true, but its sony that also chose to keep selling year old technology at the same price point as the X-box. And continued to do so even up till this day. (Both systems are $150 in the US at the moment.) They continued to match the X-box despite the fact that it had a higher processing unit, had more RAM, and came with both a Hard Drive and a Broad Band modem already attached. Where as you have to spend almost an extra 100 bucks to get the HD and Modem for the PS2, although the HD in america was only used in FF XI. Hardware wise, X-box was a much better buy. But people continued to support the PS2 because of its huge arsenal of good games. Which is why I beleave the price point stayed the way it was.

I think its personaly fine to compare the two. They are both trying to do the same thing, sell games. The types of games are different, so X-box was able to find its home in every first person shooter fan's home, But all I'm saying is that hardware wise, X-box was a much better buy. I also beleave that Sony will do fine, but I also beleave that just becuase they have the largest game library and 3rd party support to throw around, they should'nt tack on an extra 50 bucks just to sell an inferior system hardware just becuase they can. Thats why I hope that the developers will go over to Microsoft in this next generation. Although I can't speculate on the stats and Preformances of both systems at the moment, If its anything like this outgoing generations systems, then I realy do hope microsoft pulls ahead software wise.

ShadowHunter
05-14-2005, 08:52 PM
All of this is true, but its sony that also chose to keep selling year old technology at the same price point as the X-box.

Good point! This just shows great marketing on Sony's side. They sell the system to the public for how much the public thinks it's worth not how much the hardware is actually worth. Sony would actually have lost sales (read profit not quantity) if they dropped their price below Xbox's, because that would imply to the general (clueless) public that the PS3 is inferior to the Xbox since it is less expensive (that's what happend to the cube!). Believe me, any company in Sony's position would have done the same. I'm not big on consoles, but this generation might change my mind (just hope there is less FPS & more innovative adventure games this time round, ahhh good old mario sidescroller days :thumbsup: ).

dotTom
05-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Much as I love my PSP+WipEout combination, I can't help feeling that it's really just a snack to eat between XBOXs :) The next-gen 'Live looks very very interesting.

Kion
05-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Good point! This just shows great marketing on Sony's side. They sell the system to the public for how much the public thinks it's worth not how much the hardware is actually worth. Sony would actually have lost sales (read profit not quantity) if they dropped their price below Xbox's, because that would imply to the general (clueless) public that the PS3 is inferior to the Xbox since it is less expensive (that's what happend to the cube!). Believe me, any company in Sony's position would have done the same. I'm not big on consoles, but this generation might change my mind (just hope there is less FPS & more innovative adventure games this time round, ahhh good old mario sidescroller days :thumbsup: ).

Don't forget that sony is also making a profit on each ps2 they sell, microsoft is still losing 50 dollars on each xbox, now whos doing better buisness?

ShadowHunter
05-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Don't forget that sony is also making a profit on each ps2 they sell, microsoft is still losing 50 dollars on each xbox, now whos doing better buisness?
Yeah, but also do not forget that this is Microsoft's first attempt at an entry into the console market. And for that MS did an impressive job with the first Xbox (phantom anyone?) since it is now in direct competition with the console leader: Sony. Don't underestimate MS they have the means ($$) and talent. (I'm also eagerly waiting to see what Nintendo is up to :thumbsup: )

Cheers.

PhilOsirus
05-14-2005, 10:24 PM
You can't say the Xbox is a success by comparing it to the Phantom console. The Xbox is not a success outside the USA and maybe Canada. Also, a whole of Xbox owners are former or current PC gamers. MS just transfered a bunch of gamers from the PC platform to its console. Hence, before the XBOX 360, MS hasn't achieved much as far as the console industry goes, but at least it has a chance to succeed with the 360, yet it remains to be seen what Sony will do.

SpiralFace
05-14-2005, 10:33 PM
You can't say the Xbox is a success by comparing it to the Phantom console. The Xbox is not a success outside the USA and maybe Canada. Also, a whole of Xbox owners are former or current PC gamers. MS just transfered a bunch of gamers from the PC platform to its console. Hence, before the XBOX 360, MS hasn't achieved much as far as the console industry goes, but at least it has a chance to succeed with the 360, yet it remains to be seen what Sony will do.

Agreed. If Xbox wants to catch up with sony, they have to start to tailor themselves more to the classical concept games then just the first person shooters (Has anyone else noticed that that is pretty much all microsoft games makes? Assides from Fable and MABE Mechassault depending on how you look at it.) They are going to need that 3rd party council support from companys that are willing to put xbox exclusives on the system that are'nt just First Person Shooters.

Geta-Ve
05-14-2005, 10:37 PM
and sony also won back alot of the market with their slimline pstwo.. :) which incorperated the network adapter (though no hd)

ya its definatly going to be interesting to see what happens.. more info will be released on the ps3 by the time the xb360 is released and thus sony could potentially net a huge amount of fans by doing this.. giving them something to drool over..

ShadowHunter
05-14-2005, 10:56 PM
You can't say the Xbox is a success by comparing it to the Phantom console. The Xbox is not a success outside the USA and maybe Canada.I'm not comparing the Xbox to the Phantom to show that Xbox is a success, I'm just trying to show that it is far more difficult to enter an already saturated market than many people think. But again MS has the means, they can sell their system without profit (even lose $$) just to stand a chance of winning over the gamers (whether they succeeded, as you put it, is arguable). However, MS is doing better than the cube, and is considered (not without merit) as a direct competitor with Sony. Eventhough it is their first attempt! Let me say this again: do not underestimate MS.

Personally, I'm more eagerly awaiting the Revolution as I'm not into FPS games on consoles. I'd rather play a good Mario or racing game :D

tozz
05-15-2005, 12:23 AM
Since when do you buy a console because of the chips inside it? That must be the lamest reason ever :) There's one thing that matters, games, doesn't matter if has 200 10ghz cores with a TB ram, if the games suck it's pure shit. That's why it's so hard comparing XB360 with PS3 right now, it's all about gfx, what does gfx say about a game? nothing, not in my book anyway. The XBOX might had some nicer hw than ps2... dunno about a celeron being all that nice.. but the game content was pure crap, there was/is like 5 good titles for the entire life span of the console, worth $150 ? not really...

BillB
05-15-2005, 03:06 AM
there was/is like 5 good titles for the entire life span of the console, worth $150 ? not really...

Ha ha ha. $150 for a games machine isn't a whole lot of money :)
Of course, release price was much higher. That'd be a better point.

pearson
05-15-2005, 08:59 AM
The only thing wrong with the PS2 was the insufficient support from sony regarding the game development. Technical wise, it is stable and well managed system. The difference between the two systems are very slim.

From a game development perspective, there is a huge difference in the amount of ram in the two systems. Even Sega's Dreamcast had more ram than the PS2! Very annoying having to compress everything just to get it to fit in the PS2's memory, when you can just dump the whole thing on Xbox and it plays it like a champ. :/

tozz
05-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Ha ha ha. $150 for a games machine isn't a whole lot of money :)
Of course, release price was much higher. That'd be a better point.

then $50 for each game, so $400 to play five good games, It's a rip-off if I ever saw one :)

pearson: "like a champ", is that slower and choppier? Cause that is what XBOX does with cross-platform titles, take Burnout 3 and Need For Speed Underground for example, runs extremely slow on XBOX (compared to the PS2). On the other hand GTA4 has better loading times and performance than it's PS2 counterpart.

Moonblood
05-15-2005, 04:40 PM
thats true, there're much mor games 4 the xbox...

i'll wait for xbox2

isigraphics
05-15-2005, 04:51 PM
just found this news on the net:

" MacDailyNews is reporting a rumor that Sony may be working with Apple, on support for iTunes and iPod synchronization on the up-coming PS3.

Given that Sony was present at the last stevenote, and Apple has already announced their support for blu-ray, the PS3/iTunes rumor isnít that far fetched. But what if there were more to the story than just some simple, albeit handy iTunes integration with the Play Station 3?

Since weíre what-if-ing here, what are the chances the PS3 will become the platform for an Apple/Sony co-braded on-line movie delivery service? Think about it, no matter how many miniís Apple sells between now and the PS3ís launch, they likely wouldnít amount to 1/8 of the PS3ís that will be attached to televisions within a week of its launch.

More @ source link."

http://addict3d.org/index.php?page=viewarticle&type=news&ID=6793

http://www.machtpc.com/wp-content/images/05/ps3.jpg

archerx
05-15-2005, 06:29 PM
i wonder if the psp with have any interaction with the ps3 ala gba and gamecube...

they could use the wifi to do that or bluetooth, also maybe the itunes will sync music with the psp ?

tozz
05-15-2005, 07:01 PM
thats true, there're much mor games 4 the xbox...

i'll wait for xbox2

It doesn't matter how you count, the PS2 has more game. More total, more exclusives, more highly rated/reviewed (judging by GR). So how do you manage your numbers to get to the conclusion that xbox have more? I'd love to see the math :)

PhilOsirus
05-15-2005, 07:06 PM
More PS3 news, along with the Apple rumors, are the new PS3 adds that appeared in LA, with slogans like "WELCOME CHANG3" ("Welcome change" for the un3l33t).

And as far as I know there are rumored connectivity features between PSP and PS3, as well as UMD support on PS3 (or through PSP?).

See the posters here. (http://www.playfrance.com/news/ps3-385313151-Infos-Nouvelles-affiches-PS3.html)

Geta-Ve
05-15-2005, 07:25 PM
Nice, I love sonys hype machine :)

Looks like they are using the same lettering scheme from ps2 though, that's somewhat of a disapointment.. No worries I have faith in sony ^_^ haha

tozz
05-15-2005, 09:39 PM
It's better than the swastika Microsoft used for their XB360. That was just sick :banghead:

Aooogah
05-15-2005, 09:48 PM
If this is true, then Nintendo is done for in the North American market. The only reason why the late-blooming XBox was so successful in North America was because it had Halo. Unless Nintendo has a killer app with the magnitude of Halo up its sleeve, it will most likely be in third place again.

Renderman_XSI
05-16-2005, 07:39 AM
heres a interesting RUMOUR:

" The following information was passed onto me and represents a bombshell about to be dropped on the X-Box 360 @ E3.

The NVidia GPU in the PS3 contains two radically new components never before included in a GPU. The triangle setup unit of the new GPU contains whats called a Micropolygon Processing Unit, whose job it is to dice up a triangle primitive into micropolygons to help accelerate the REYES algorithm. The MPU allows micropolygons to be vertex shaded in a way that permits Early-Z rejection.

Secondly, the GPU supports some kind of new texture format for storing 3D scene geometry efficiently in a uniform grid and a new texture operation to support fast ray-intersection tests to speed up raytracing.

Nvidia and Sony are betting, that the combination of these two features, and CELL will permit an unprecedented improvement in renderer implementations, from RenderMan-like renderers, to full raytracers. My source says there is a poster of a screenshot with one of the test images that looks like something out of Lord of the Rings movie in terms of quality."

The "source" isnt important, its a rumour, and we'll find out if its TRUE or not in a couple of days.

tozz
05-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Hehe, been hearing all those sweet rumors since a year back or so... 14h left untill Sony reveals what they got. Those things you bring up surely sounds sweet, but we'll see :)

novadude
05-16-2005, 01:48 PM
heres a interesting RUMOUR:

" The following information was passed onto me and represents a bombshell about to be dropped on the X-Box 360 @ E3.

The NVidia GPU in the PS3 contains two radically new components never before included in a GPU. The triangle setup unit of the new GPU contains whats called a Micropolygon Processing Unit, whose job it is to dice up a triangle primitive into micropolygons to help accelerate the REYES algorithm. The MPU allows micropolygons to be vertex shaded in a way that permits Early-Z rejection.

Secondly, the GPU supports some kind of new texture format for storing 3D scene geometry efficiently in a uniform grid and a new texture operation to support fast ray-intersection tests to speed up raytracing.

Nvidia and Sony are betting, that the combination of these two features, and CELL will permit an unprecedented improvement in renderer implementations, from RenderMan-like renderers, to full raytracers. My source says there is a poster of a screenshot with one of the test images that looks like something out of Lord of the Rings movie in terms of quality."

The "source" isnt important, its a rumour, and we'll find out if its TRUE or not in a couple of days.

Different language for what they said about the PS2 rendering Toy Story in real time. Niether Sony nor Nintendo (AFAIK) will have working models of their new systems at E3 and are trying to slow down microsoft, who is rightfully (they have the working system and more than rumors about capabilities) running away with the press.
That said, it would be nice if the above rumor was true, but don't get your hopes up.

Don't worry, Microsoft will do the same thing and pull Halo 3 out for the PS3 launch :) I wonder if I only have to stand in one line that night?

sebek27
05-16-2005, 03:42 PM
of course Nintendo and Sony will show working models of their consoles. E3 is the biggest event and most exposure so why wouldn't they.

itsallgoode9
05-16-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure about Sony, but I'm pretty sure that I had read on a couple credible sites that Nintendo was only going to show videos and wasn't going to give real specifics about hardware...also thatwe won't see the controller either. Remember, according to what what we know so far that Nintendo is at earliest 1 year away from release, so it is kinda early stll. You'd think Sony would show a hell of alot though since they are supposed to release in 1st qtr, but who knows

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2005, 04:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.