PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my bass?

bbKixx
05-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Hello,

I'm editing in and working on the sound design of a little short I have been working on. I'm using premiere pro and after effects. My question is, when I watch the film on my computer with the base setting on low, the base sounds great. Now when I burn it to a dvd and watch on a mono television, I cannot hear it at all, or when I watch it on my stereo speaker set up it just sounds ok. Is there a technique to beef up the base? Maybe adding a track in premiere thats just sampled base, or adding a mono track on top of my stereo track? How do they normally set things like this up? I was thinking of having a stereo track which had the sounds in both speakers, as well as a mono track with sounds in both speakers. Then two more tracks dedicated to one or the other speaker? Is this how they set things up, or just crazy talk?

thanks,
bbkixx

Tuqui-tuqui
06-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I have the same problem with FCP HD. It sounds fine in the G5, but once I export to film, beta, tape, DVD, web... the sound was way too low. It had to do that I had two controls. G5's internal audio control and the speaker's audio control. Now, I have my G5 audio set up at max and from there I can control the levels within FCPHD, while lowering the external audio if it was too loud. Also, always keep an eye on your level meter. -12 db is the standard meter rate for audio, but I always increase the audio just a bit, just to be satisfied.

Lesson: -12 db is avg. rate (always watch for peaks!) and increase a few notches without going to high (yellow or even more dangerous red!)

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2005, 07:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.