PDA

View Full Version : xtrm3d small learning wip thread

xtrm3d
05-13-2005, 04:16 AM
hi guys,
just started to play with c4d (still have an old 8.5 press liscence )

i would use this thread to post my learning progress and test ..
the result of my first day ...
played a little bit with the material editor ..
no color or spec maps ..
just some noise and gradient .. + displacement and bump map
http://xtrm3d.com/temp/1stest.jpg

modelled in modo + zbrush rendered in c4d

would later test color + spec maps..as soon i figure how to do uv

kurv
05-13-2005, 04:19 AM
Looks great Christophe! Can we see the wires?

xtrm3d
05-13-2005, 04:25 AM
your wishes are my command sir
having undergoes a zbrush treatment .. the face object is relativ light on the polycount side

Pi3141
05-13-2005, 04:37 AM
Thats awesomem man! Are you using displacments from zbrush?

nessjp
05-13-2005, 04:56 AM
Sweet.
Xtrm, I know your art alot from the Lux and LW forums with a dabble of the XSI forums as well.
I have tried and tried, but just cannot grasp XSI. It is just too different for me. I have no real reason really, just alot of things that I cannot get used to after starting and learning with LW.

Cinema 4D however is awesome. So far anyway, since I just got it today. I got the demo a few days ago after seeing the LW Companion offer and have played with it the last couple of days.
It feels so much more natural to me and it just feels and seems awesome from all aspects. The interface, the customizing ability, the commands, the ease of working with plug-ins, etc.,. I can see it becoming my all around software.

I just received the real deal today as I had to jump on the offer for $899. It is killer. Comes with some extra goodies and such. I am a little broke now, but very glad I bought it.

I have been playing with Modo as my main Modeler aside from learning Maya which I also bought awhile ago. Mayas Modeling sucks. XSI is better, but really, I do not like either one. Modo stuff which saves natively as LW opens right up in C4D awesome. Even better than LW since N-gons are allowed.

As of now it looks like it will be Modo and C4D for me. I am still just a hobbyist and learning alot. My main focus is hopefully just photoreal design and Industrial work with not much if any animation and such. Modo and C4D (emphasis on C4D) look to be just the ticket for me.

BodyPaint and Sketch and toon Modules will be purchased soon.

Hey Kurv,
KurvStudios should get some C4D DVDs out. I know alot of people would jump on them. I only see 3DFluff DVDs which I plan on buying and another Modeling DVD for C4D from Jannis Labelle that is quite a bit of money. The 3D Fluff ones are fairly pricey, but they seem great from what I have seen and read. Yours would be snatched up rapidly if priced like allyour others.

duderender
05-13-2005, 05:19 AM
While I enjoy the fact that xtrm3d has posted some art within the C4D forum, I can't help to think why people that haven't had anything to do with C4D show up posting here praising the work?? Is there a sales pitch coming?

xtrm3d
05-13-2005, 05:25 AM
no pitch on my side ..
the work dislayed is rendered in c4d :-)
speackend of that ,...
how do i make a second uv set for on object ? is that possible ?

just floating trough my mind ...
you should expect to see more lightwaver in thi sforum these next time ..
with the clever marketing coup from maxon ( the offer for lightwaver )
you should understand that a lot of people coul dthink about making the big jump :wise:

pit
05-13-2005, 05:30 AM
LOL for a moment I thought I was in the LW forum from 2 years back.
Anyway - xtrm3d, you should try the demo of R9 instead of the R8.5 you´re working with now to get the full picture. Great improvements have happened.

duderender
05-13-2005, 05:31 AM
Hey Kurv,
KurvStudios should get some C4D DVDs out. I know alot of people would jump on them. I only see 3DFluff DVDs which I plan on buying and another Modeling DVD for C4D from Jannis Labelle that is quite a bit of money. The 3D Fluff ones are fairly pricey, but they seem great from what I have seen and read. Yours would be snatched up rapidly if priced like allyour others.

LOL, any coincidence to him posting here??? "Market research"

Welcome to the C4D fray. As an ex-LW user I think you'll be pleased you did the jump.

A few highlights I like to mention with C4D is:
- Semi-parametric features so things like cables and "growing" tubes are a cinch.
- Stability. Very rare to see a crash unlike my experience with LW. More because I was dealing with hi-mesh count models.
- Configurable interface
- Excellent visual aid feedback (i.e. slicing loops of polygons)

Do yourself a favour and get NOTA plugin. A great compliment even if you have Thinking Particles. There is a light version which is free and it's totally usable.

duderender
05-13-2005, 05:36 AM
LOL for a moment I thought I was in the LW forum from 2 years back.
Anyway - xtrm3d, you should try the demo of R9 instead of the R8.5 you´re working with now to get the full picture. Great improvements have happened.

Truedat and Truedat.

Release 9 is a major difference over 8/8.5 and to judge C4D fairly it is a must to try.

@xtrm3d: I have no doubt LW'ers will be adding C4D to the toolset to prepare themselves in case release 8.5 / 9 of LW really don't pan out. Still, C4D does have a niche area so I think you'll find mostly visualization type art versus character art as a ratio. I'd like to see more folks leverage C4D in character art as I believe its just not a resource heavily tapped to have immediate recognition like LW or modo.

xtrm3d
05-13-2005, 05:40 AM
ok..other software by side..
i am her cause i am giving c4d a try . not doing any politic or business ..

back to my question

how do i assigne a second set of uv to one object or is that not possible ?

duderender
05-13-2005, 05:49 AM
what are you trying to achieve?

You can hold ctrl and drag a copy of the UVW tag.

Maybe explain your need more? There may be a different approach to the materials??

JDP
05-13-2005, 05:54 AM
ok..other software by side..
i am her cause i am giving c4d a try . not doing any politic or business ..

back to my question

how do i assigne a second set of uv to one object or is that not possible ?

Create a material and assign it to you object, select the resulting texture tag in the Object manager and set the projection to anything but UVW, then from the texture menu of the Object Manager select "Generate UVW Coordinates", this will create a new UVW tag. A texture tag will use the UVW tag to the right of it.

xtrm3d
05-13-2005, 05:54 AM
ok.. on the head object ,
i have on material with a displacement map using an uv set coming out of zbrush ..
now i would like ( like in lw .. ) to make a cilyndrical uv set for painting my color and spec maps in photoshop ..
is that possible ? 2 different uv set on one object ?

JDP
05-13-2005, 06:14 AM
xtrm3d, looks like we posted at the same time. Just choose Cylindrical mapping with the steps I outlined above.

xtrm3d
05-13-2005, 11:08 PM
yes we did ..lol thx for the help ..

ok now i am back with my noooobee question
now i have 2 diferent uv set . let call them uv set "a" ( for displacemnt) and uve set "b" for the color and spec map .. ( did them in modo ..the uv tool from c4d..are not my cup of tea right now )
how do i assigne the map to theyr respective uv set ?

did a long search online.. but did not fund any useable piece of info

thx in advance

Simon Wicker
05-14-2005, 01:05 AM
first of all apologies for the very vague reply you are about to receive but i hope it points you in roughly the right direction. i've completely forgotten the correct order but off the top of my head the answer is basically that you need to assign multiple materials to the object and arrange the uv tags and materials tags sequentially. i believe that each material tag looks to the left to find its uv co-ords. so you need uv tag|displacement material|uvtag|colour material and then turn on 'mix textures' in the last texture tag to blend the materials together. i might be wrong with the ordering of the tags, and the ordering of the materials, cinema is very picky over what goes where but a quick experiment should sort things out.

cheers, simon w.

JDP
05-14-2005, 06:03 AM
i believe that each material tag looks to the left to find its uv co-ords.

It should be to the right.

Simon Wicker
05-14-2005, 04:21 PM
It should be to the right.

ah. correct. i haven't done this in a very long time. it's even described in the manual (page 761 of the pdf although the actual page number is 731 in the paper manual).

cheers, simon w.

xtrm3d
06-30-2005, 06:51 PM
heee... just received my c4d studio package today .. time to resume my c4d aprenticship :-)

duderender
06-30-2005, 06:55 PM
heee... just received my c4d studio package today .. time to resume my c4d aprenticship :-)

Awesome, I think you may be entitled to some reduced cost to the engineering bundle if you bought studio version.

kurv
06-30-2005, 06:59 PM

Awesome Christophe cant wait to see your work in it... :)

xtrm3d
10-22-2005, 06:32 AM
sooo i gess today i the day i revive this old and desuet thread :eek:

got today my serials for 9.5 and decided to use c4d for at least teh next 3 month side by side with modo for modelling .. ( finally got some time to do it )

i would then be back with my anoying newbe question ...
here we go ..
how about this one ..

i have a rendetime from +/- 5min on this picture ..
but as soon i use ambient occlusion ( even with low setting )
i get at least a rendertime from 16 to 20 minute ..
is that normal doctor ?
in lw or xsi .. i get an oclusion pass really quick .. :sad:
i must be doing something wrong .. right ?
2 hour playing with light and shader + render test ...

http://www.xtrm3d.com/temp/CAMAROWIP4.jpg

Per-Anders
10-22-2005, 06:52 AM
it depends on the shader/pass options and aa settings a lot too. by low settings, what settings are you using? and are you using the ao pass, the ao in the render settings or the ao shader in materials?

bear in mind that the render settings ao add to material ao, also that the settings that control how fast ao will be are a combination of raylength, accuracy, and minimum/maximum samples these last two being the largest factors in speed of AO.

duderender
10-22-2005, 11:40 PM
xtrm3d, dig the cars. What you got cooking in C4D.

When you said modeling along side modo, are you using modo models or modeling in c4d as well?

RE: AO, the AO in LW as I recall is somewhat of a hack and not a raytraced solution like in C4D. But, its been so long that I've used LW I am not sure of my dusty memory.

xtrm3d
10-24-2005, 04:23 PM
thx you for tyour reply guy ..

it depends on the shader/pass options and aa settings a lot too. by low settings, what settings are you using? and are you using the ao pass, the ao in the render settings or the ao shader in materials?
well i dont have the scene open right now ( at work )

but as much i remember the amount of ray was really low , ( 10 to 32 )
the AO was set as a render pass
AA aliasing was set to best .. with 1x1 to 2x2 ( if i render corectly )
the reflection and ray ( in the render option ) got reduced to 3 for reflection and 2 for ray (??? )

i found out that it became really slow in the motor area
i became a render time around 15 mn
wich is way too much in my opinion , i would try to catche policarpoo.. and see with him .. if he could optimise my shit :-)

When you said modeling along side modo, are you using modo models or modeling in c4d as well?

no..no.. modelling only in modo for now ... learning rendering in c4d first

williamsburroughs
10-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Send me the file and we can see if we can track down the rendering time issue. :)

Welcome aboard.... ;)

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2005, 04:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.