PDA

View Full Version : New quality artistic material fear ?

Schwinnz
05-13-2005, 04:00 AM
Hi!

I was wondering if I was the only one like that. Whenever I buy some high quality pens or paper I'm always afraid of using them, stupidly.

I don't know why, it's probably a fear of wasting all this precious (and often costly) stuff.

Am I alone ?

chrisbeaver
05-13-2005, 04:08 AM
The airbrush equipment under my bed, which I was so excited about getting yet have never worked up the courage to use, says you aren't alone.

erilaz
05-13-2005, 04:25 AM
I think my talent is about equal to the materials I use... which is why I'm still using wire-bound sketchbooks and Staedtler 2h pencil!

Lunatique
05-13-2005, 05:40 AM
That's why almost all manufacturers have student grade products apart from their pro artist line of products.

You can start off with cheap materials, and as you get better, you'll automatically crave better materials. Once you reach a certain level, you won't tolerate any less than top quality materials, because you can definitely feel and difference by then.

Iysun
05-13-2005, 05:44 AM
yah im like that with paper for sure, I dont like to use high quality paper, even if thats all i got, I guess that proves I need to get alot better yet to feel I never wasted the paper. :wise:

Schwinnz
05-13-2005, 06:37 AM
That's why almost all manufacturers have student grade products apart from their pro artist line of products.

You can start off with cheap materials, and as you get better, you'll automatically crave better materials. Once you reach a certain level, you won't tolerate any less than top quality materials, because you can definitely feel and difference by then.

Well that's exactly what I just did. I had enough of my cheap Prismacolor Scholar pencils and decided to buy a dang nice Faber Castell Polychromo box of 24. Did some work with them and they definately feel a lot better. Somehow I don't feel completely "secure" to use them.

erilaz
05-13-2005, 06:46 AM
I'm basically at the stage of "getting better" at sketching, so I want grunt-work sketch tools. As Lunatique says, it's about the feeling. Hell, I used to sketch on the back of print-outs with biro, so I've definately stepped up!:D

offbeatworlds
05-13-2005, 02:07 PM
I actually don't have that problem, not like the way you described it. For me, I can buy almost any art material (if I can afford it of course) and either I use it, or I don't use it. There's some really cheap stuff I bought that I don't use, and some semi-expensive stuff I bought that I don't use. I have a load of Prismacolor pencils that I use whenever I feel the need for colored pencil drawings. I have a huge sketchbook of newprint paper, which was a "huge" mistake too because that stuff tears like tissue paper, and sits unused in my family room. I also have some hard-lead pencils that I don't use because they don't erase very well, and don't make as light a lines as I'd hoped. Basically, for me, it all narrows down to if they work the way I wanted to or not. Generally, professional quality doesn't really matter. :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2005, 02:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.