PDA

View Full Version : Digital Domain Launches D2 Software, Inc

Leonard
10-10-2002, 01:39 AM
D2 to provide high-end digital production software for Windows, Linux and IRIX Platforms.

Digital Domain announces the formation of D2 Software, Inc., a new wholly-owned subsidiary that will develop, market and support digital image processing software based upon the proprietary technology developed by Digital Domain over the last decade.

http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=228

L.

Nando
10-10-2002, 02:06 AM
Thats very cool..

“As a nodal-based compositing solution, Nuke is more advanced than anything currently available on the market,” notes Taylor

Coming from Digital Domain, Id have to believe that statement

Floating point Data and HDRI imagery.. WOW :D

Just wondering what the GUI looks like and how much mula ;)

beaker
10-10-2002, 05:49 AM
>>“As a nodal-based compositing solution, Nuke is more advanced than anything currently available on the market,” notes Taylor

I am curious about this statement since I have talked many people that have worked there in the past and they use Combustion and Digital Fusion quite a bit. What's the point of using/paying for/using these two packages if their in house software(Nuke) does it better and is free? If it is not good enough for all their in house staff, then is it going to be that great of a tool. I'm not bashing Nuke, just questioning it's greatness. People think it is this awsome tool based on blind faith. I really wish they would provide more infomation about what features it has. It is almost like they are trying to sell it to people by simply saying, "Look we use it, so no other explanation is necessary, now pony up the cash".

noquarter
10-10-2002, 06:41 AM
Looks pretty cool. Too bad no OS X version.

DrAdamDinosaur
10-10-2002, 07:42 AM
What's the point of using/paying for/using these two packages if their in house software(Nuke) does it better and is free?

It may be that the program out puts amazing results but is fairly complex and slow. Maybe for some simple tasks it is far quicker to use other applications. Your right though, it does seem strange.

I haven't read the article yet but an just about to.

Munson
10-10-2002, 03:26 PM
hey noquarter, no OSX? well apple bought Shake just for all you mac users then canned the NT version, so you should be happy.

;)

Nando
10-10-2002, 05:58 PM
Sorry about the advertisement, We just wanted to make sure folks know of the great deal on Combustion since it will be over Dec 31st

I know there is a lot of students, or folks who have always wanted an opportunity to afford a great program like C2 so just spreading the word. ;)

I have to agree with beaker about the usage of other apps.
I think that because D2 is an inferno customer they most likely, received some seats of Combustion for free. Also maybe its just easier to have artist use a product they already know as apposed to being re-trained on a in-house product or Maybe Nuke requires a certain hardware configuration that is not cost efficient to have on every station.

Mandrake
10-10-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Nando
Thats very cool..

I think there is a big screencap of Nuke in Ron M. Brinkmann's
"Art and Science of Digital Compositing". BTW Great book.

Nando
10-10-2002, 07:31 PM
I have that book, will check it out when i get home ;)

Rumpus King
10-10-2002, 07:31 PM
I'm no Nuke genius (I only used it on 2 projects) but I've used it enough to see that it's neither complex nor slow. Like much of DD's proprietary stuff, it's lean, mean, and does a great job without fluff.

The version of Nuke that I used doesn't require any hardware configuration but I don't know what version is going to be released.

noquarter
10-11-2002, 05:08 AM
Munson,
Woa! Don't get the wrong impresion, I'm not one of those Mac users who likes to gloat about what Mac has and PCs don't. I wish Apple would release a version of Shake on different platforms. I'm all about cross platform software. In a production environment everything is so much smoother when all the OSs can play nicely with one another.:)

beaker
10-11-2002, 07:27 AM
>> I wish Apple would release a version of Shake on different platforms.

They did, 2.5 was released a month ago for linux and irix(along with osx).

Stimpy
10-11-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by beaker
I am curious about this statement since I have talked many people that have worked there in the past and they use Combustion and Digital Fusion quite a bit. What's the point of using/paying for/using these two packages if their in house software(Nuke) does it better and is free? If it is not good enough for all their in house staff, then is it going to be that great of a tool.

always depends on your kind of job.

whereas shake does a great job of comping together tons of passes that you stick over one another, i guess i would turn to after effects for stuff like title design, cause its easier to keep track of your layers in the timeline.... "ok, the title fades in here and fades out there again".

and afx has (like DF and Combustion) tons and tons of filters that come in useful for stuff like typo and things, which you would never ever use for green screen composites and that kind of stuff... (FE Ball Action..)

Stimpy
10-11-2002, 09:03 AM

check out this article for two screenshots, though they are not showing you THAT much.. looks like your average node based system.. ;)

http://www.fxguide.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=50

Munson
10-11-2002, 10:09 AM
no worries noquarter, :) just checkin`! I can see why apple did it, buy out the company, then make all the users that don`t use a mac have to buy one! very smart business sense, it sux tho.

noquarter
10-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Yup! It sux, Just like Discreet never porting a version of Max of to the Mac. Oh well.:)

gmask
10-14-2002, 02:42 AM

$10 k per seat

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.