PDA

View Full Version : Timelapse

JetStrike
05-12-2005, 08:16 PM
I am beginning to work on a short film as a personal project over the summer. I have almost the whole theme and story planned out, and there is a certain element that I would like to incorporate at some point in the film. I want to have a timelapse shot (not to sure if that is the correct term for it) of a busy city sidewalk and street and have one single person moving at a normal speed. I didn't know if I would need to do some fliming in front of a green screen or if it would need to be done in the same location. If anyone has any information on how this could be done or what software would be needed for the editing it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

visionist
05-14-2005, 12:40 AM
I am really interested in this to I hope someone reply with some sorta advice or tutorials on this tech

scrimski
05-14-2005, 06:57 PM
You need two layers: first your city-shot, and then the person in front of a green or blue screen and then key it out with AfterEffects or Shke or Combustion or a chromakey-tool of your choice. Keep in mind that the lighting, camera angle and position, field of view and all that stuff of the two shots have to bee the same, or you will have to correct this in postproduction.
This can be done with a motion-control camera system(expensive) or by hand, if it is a static shot.

PaulHellard
05-15-2005, 09:09 AM
I might add; You may want to attempt this effect in-camera.

Are you shooting 35mm, 16mm or Video?

Certainly the time lapse of the street traffic and BG can be done easily enough on a single run. Are you interested in having the lead person in time lapse as well or absolutely real -time? I love this kind of stuff. Have done it a few times, many years ago with a Arri IIC for experimentals and music clips.

scrimski
05-15-2005, 09:15 AM
@hmedia: Tell me how you didi it in one pass, as I have no idea about how you did it.

visionist
05-18-2005, 09:22 PM
I want to know how you did it with one pass too?

JetStrike
05-18-2005, 10:48 PM
me too! :bounce:

dinotorres
05-27-2005, 03:54 PM
There is a good way to produce the shot you are concepting. Follow the advices of the other posts (chroma key, composite, match lighting, etc). But as a plus, if will make the shot manually, use motion tracking systems to match the shakes of your real camera with your virtual camera from your virtual city scenario. Place mark crosses in the green wall when shooting to serve as reference for the camera tracking utility of the Max, for example.

visionist
05-27-2005, 05:51 PM
I dont know if hes using a virtual city. I think, or what i got out of it he wants a steet scene, with people goine twice as fast, or even faster, and the character you are focused on going normal speed. They are all live action. how is this done, if i am wrong JetStrike tell me, but thats what i thought your post was wanting:)

LmB

JetStrike
05-27-2005, 11:30 PM
You are surely correct Visionist. Just to clerify things, what Visionist stated in the last reply is percisly what I am trying to do. thanks for all of your comments so far everyone.

brant
05-28-2005, 05:21 AM
Here is the cheep easy way. First the camera needs to be locked down on a tripod. Get a good amount of footage of the people walking on the street. In FCP you can speed up the clip as much as you want I have filmed hours of DV footage and increased the speed like 1000%. Ok that is your base layer. Then film your normal speed on a green screen and composite it in your NLE program and resize to match layer one. Not perfect but easy

Raymonkey
06-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Might be worth checking out The Box video, which AFAIK was all done in camera.

Orbital - The Box (http://www.loopz.co.uk/video9.html)

They filmed primarily with a locked off camera, and got Tilda Swinton to move very, very slowly through the scene. I'm guessing they must have worked out how long she needed to take to get from one place to another and had her move at that speed relative to the camera speed.

Very effective if you can get your main character to move this slowly, although it does give it a bit of a "stop frame" look. (It does save messing about with compositing...but then I'm lazy).

ZaKKoS
06-13-2005, 10:00 PM
This looks like an actual stop-motion, also the light trails suggests some "long" exposure rather than an accelerated footage

nineinchneil
06-20-2005, 02:59 PM
the most convincing and effective way to do it would be using layers. greenscreening is the way to go.
an incredible example of this would be the radiohead music video 'street spirit [fade out]' :http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/radiohead/audvid.jhtml

sorry for the crappy mtv link, but it's all i could find in short notice.

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2005, 02:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.