PDA

View Full Version : 'Star Wars' creator sending his troops to the Presidio

jeremybirn
05-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Nice article (although perhaps innacurate on a few points) on Lucasfilm with pictures of the new SF location in today's SF Chronicle:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/05/12/MNGGTCMI2A35.DTL

"We do have to exist after George. He's not going to live forever. The man's in his early 60s." His company is already on track to become what many say is the future of the entertainment industry: a fully converged operation, in which video games and movies are produced on parallel tracks with the same computer technology.

Neil
05-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Now they won't have to pay to get over the bridge to go to work :)

Hopefully now they will finally sit down and think up some new IP like they used to. And not just sit pretty on their Star Wars franchise.

mmkelly011881
05-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a beautiful facility

Slurry
05-12-2005, 08:16 PM
...Hopefully now they will finally sit down and think up some new IP like they used to. And not just sit pretty on their Star Wars franchise.

With talks of a Star Wars tv series and a Willow tv series, I think he plans on milking his early stuff for all it's worth - and then some.
Squeeze it! Squeeze that teat!

Art

Dirtystimpy
05-12-2005, 08:27 PM

Its extremely relaxing, has a little creek and pond, lots of places to eat your lunch on the grass.

nuclearfessel
05-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Now they won't have to pay to get over the bridge to go to work :)

hehe the ones living in Marin will still have to pay to get in to SF... its a two way toll on the Golden Gate...

twidup
05-12-2005, 08:34 PM
fessel, no kidding, not to mention those that live up in petaluma and novato...the drive times they are going to have now.

oh well, I dont have to worry about it anymore...well, atleast not for 8 months

malducin
05-12-2005, 08:42 PM
It's even worst for others, say coming over from Concord. I can almost feel the pain.

Kimotion
05-12-2005, 08:55 PM
When the article stated that the new Animation studio in Singapore is not a sign of outsourcing, I just didn't believe that. He said he wanted to blend the arts of both East and West, so that's the reasoning behind it.

Well, San Francisco is 39% Asian. The largest Chinese community outside China (and all other Asian cultures were heavily derived from). The largest Asian art museum outside Asia is only 2 miles away from the Presidio.

Large companies have offices everywhere, especially in Singapore. But making it the main facility in animation? Outsourcing is not bad. But if it's outsourcing, then they should say so. People always appreciate blunt truth.

Kimotion
05-12-2005, 08:59 PM

Wow. It really does look like the buildings have always been in the Presidio.

SpiralFace
05-12-2005, 09:11 PM
A very good read.

I'll be curious to see where Lucas film will go after starwars. I know there has been talk about Indiana Jones, but thats been up in the air for so long that I seriously nothing is realy going to come out of it. I can't see Lucas trying to make smaller films or documentary's since he realy has that nitch for epic story telling. But who knows, he could do something good. I've been hearing that Revenge is panning out to be a good movie, so there might be hope for him yet. As a game guy myself, I'm more exited about how Lucas arts and ILM will work together in the upcomming future, and how they will blend their work together.

Boone
05-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Last I heard, Indy 4 was in the "Ford, Spielburg and Lucas" stage... :cool: Lucas was tweaking "Reel 6" if I recall correctly...

nuclearfessel
05-12-2005, 10:31 PM
fessel, no kidding, not to mention those that live up in petaluma and novato...the drive times they are going to have now.

oh well, I dont have to worry about it anymore...well, atleast not for 8 months

wait, you no longer at the ranch, T?

Dirtystimpy
05-12-2005, 11:15 PM

living in Petaluma rocked when I worked at the ranch! now, I commute to redwood city everyday from petaluma..... yeah, it sucks!

THECLYKE
05-12-2005, 11:19 PM
I hope George makes one of his fantasy books.......like I think one is called Even Star....err...i forget the name of the book.:shrug:

LINK TO MY M&S ENRTY THREAD
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=239415&page=3&pp=15
MY OUTDATED WEBSITE
http://www.freewebs.com/calvin_clyke_2004

SpiralFace
05-12-2005, 11:30 PM
living in Petaluma rocked when I worked at the ranch! now, I commute to redwood city everyday from petaluma..... yeah, it sucks!

Ouch.

Thats quite a drive. And San Francisco trafic is the worst when your trying to drive through the city instead of going into it. You have my sympathy. (Sorry that it does'nt help with the drive though.)

SpiralFace
05-12-2005, 11:31 PM
hehe the ones living in Marin will still have to pay to get in to SF... its a two way toll on the Golden Gate...

No its not.

You only get charged on the south bound side of the bridge. If your going north bound then there is no toll. Although Toll is up to 5 or 6 bucks now, so its pretty much like paying both ways on any other bridge in the bay area.

SheepFactory
05-13-2005, 12:16 AM
I dont ever recall golden gate being a two way toll in my 5 years of living here.

I hope ILM presidio has enough free parking for all the employees and then some. Driving to sf is one thing but trying to find parking here is hell :)

malducin
05-13-2005, 12:34 AM
I hope George makes one of his fantasy books.......like I think one is called Even Star....err...i forget the name of the book.

That was a trilogy of books, cowritten with Chris Claremont, and were a sequel to Willow. They are titled: Shadow Moon, Shadow Dawn and Shadow Star.

I hope ILM presidio has enough free parking for all the employees and then some. Driving to sf is one thing but trying to find parking here is hell

Well they have a huge underground parking for employees (don't know about visitors). I guess depending of the time and day you could park at the Exploratorium.

Obraxis
05-13-2005, 12:44 AM
The most interesting time in the life of Lucas' companies, is what they do with themselves once he has departed. He basicly created the blockbuster effects movie, helped move films into the digital realm.

It shall be a most interesting time.

soulburn3d
05-13-2005, 01:17 AM
No its not.

You only get charged on the south bound side of the bridge. If your going north bound then there is no toll. Although Toll is up to 5 or 6 bucks now, so its pretty much like paying both ways on any other bridge in the bay area.

It may be a one way toll, but since any trip to and from somewhere involve going both ways :), I think the point is they'll certainly have to pay the big bucks that they didn't have to while ILM was in Marin. And being a Marin resident (although I don't work for ILM), it's too darned expensive to live there already.

- Neil

Neil
05-13-2005, 02:13 AM
It may be a one way toll, but since any trip to and from somewhere involve going both ways :), I think the point is they'll certainly have to pay the big bucks that they didn't have to while ILM was in Marin. And being a Marin resident (although I don't work for ILM), it's too darned expensive to live there already.

Well I don't know any figures but i'm sure just about the same amount of people go to work from SF versus Marine. Some win, some lose. As Sheep said, I would worry more about that parking. haha.

jeremybirn
05-13-2005, 02:54 AM
Well I don't know any figures but i'm sure just about the same amount of people go to work from SF versus Marine.

Not at all. ILM is in Marin, and most employees live there. Besides, Marin county functions mainly as a bedroom community for SF, the heavy traffic that needs all the extra lanes on the bridge is commuting into the city in the AM, back out in the PM. I don't think most people will move, either, the prices are so crazy that SF's population has been declining, and the number of children is the lowest of any major US city (about 7% - and this matters as an indicator of where families haven't been able to find homes.)

I used to live in Marin, but now that I'm in the East Bay, when I need to visit SF and Marin on a given day, I always go Bay Bridge first (lower toll), then take GG the free direction, and Richmond bridge back home.

-jeremy

jeremybirn
05-13-2005, 03:07 AM
Outsourcing is not bad. But if it's outsourcing, then they should say so.

I think the distinction is that Lucas is looking at making a new division to produce CG features for the first time - so he's (supposedly) not starting up overseas in order to outsource existing jobs now done at ILM or LucasArts. I'm not saying that this is necessarily true (he might outsource, who knows?) only that when a company with global reach expands by starting a new division doing a new thing in a new location, without exporting jobs, it isn't necessarily outsourcing.

-jeremy

BrandonD
05-13-2005, 05:27 AM
The irony of all of this for me is:

Grew up on The Presidio from 1971-75. My father helped design and build Letterman Hospital as an officer in the Army. When he left the Army in '75, we moved to the relatively secluded suburb of Marin County, particularly Lucas Valley, where George Lucas would later build Skywalker Ranch.

Now Lucas' Empire is about to relocate onto the site of Letterman. In fact, The Orphanage is directly behind the house I used to live in. Weird.

SpiralFace
05-13-2005, 05:33 AM
The irony of all of this for me is:

Grew up on The Presidio from 1971-75. My father helped design and build Letterman Hospital as an officer in the Army. When he left the Army in '75, we moved to the relatively secluded suburb of Marin County, particularly Lucas Valley, where George Lucas would later build Skywalker Ranch.

Now Lucas' Empire is about to relocate onto the site of Letterman. In fact, The Orphanage is directly behind the house I used to live in. Weird.

I think the ultimate iorny whould be going back and working for them in the old hospital.

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2005, 05:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.