PDA

View Full Version : Madagascar Reviews

worker_bee
05-12-2005, 06:32 PM
It’s easy to dismiss the work of DreamWorks’ animation division when held up against the heftier, instantly classic works of Pixar. But DreamWorks has found a nice niche creating solid family movies that focus more on being funny than tugging at the old heartstrings. Both Shrek movies have been laugh riots, and if they’re eclipsed by work like The Incredibles it isn’t because they aren’t great in their own way. There’s nothing wrong with a big laugh, and DreamWorks Animation is better at delivering them than anyone. They’ve proven it, by finally doing something worthwhile outside of Shrek.

The lovable penguins you’ve no doubt already seen in the trailers absolutely run away with the movie, and if DreamWorks has any sense they’ll already be hard at work on an all penguin spin-off. The big named voice talent dragged in to give them advertising fodder does their job too, Stiller’s usual shtick disappears inside Alex and Chris Rock is much better as a voice actor than he is in live action. Madagascar is a gut busting little adventure that’s an easy view for parents afraid of a serious time commitment. It’s a prodigious comedic mix of smart gags on both adult and kiddie levels. Load up the SUV and come on in.

http://www.cinemablend.com/review.php?id=973

ThomasMahler
05-12-2005, 07:17 PM
After Sheeps review, that's the second review that tells me that I have to watch this. Seems that Dreamworks did something very right, after the quite boring Shark Tale.

Sil3
05-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Im highly interested in seing this movie also, Shrek 2 was a boring to me (dont flame me but i laughed like 2 times in the entire movie) and Shark Tale i havent even seen it because the trailer didn´t appealed to me.

First thing that made me become interested in Madagascar was the "2D" style that the characters have, after reading Sheep´s review my interest got bigger :)

stewartjones
05-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Im highly interested in seing this movie also, Shrek 2 was a boring to me (dont flame me but i laughed like 2 times in the entire movie) and Shark Tale i havent even seen it because the trailer didn´t appealed to me.

First thing that made me become interested in Madagascar was the "2D" style that the characters have, after reading Sheep´s review my interest got bigger :)

I feel the same dude. Shrek 2 did nothing for me, and I aint seen Shark Tale... Looked like Dreamworks couldn't come up with anything to top Nemo, so they decided to be like ... 'oh hey, we will do a fish movie too'...

HAHA!

Anyways, Madagascar looks totally awesome, I can't wait to see this thing. From what I've seen they are starting to push the animation a little more. The squash and stretch is looking more like the old traditional stuff, which is totally cool!

6foot5
05-12-2005, 07:53 PM
well its a CG animation and i go to the flicks about twice a week so im sure ill fit this in. I have to say, though, that i am getting a wee bit tired of this formula. The comic character traits and the scene build up and pay offs are becomming as predictable as the storylines. Shrek 2 had its moments but on the whole unsatisfying, The Incredibles was strangely dissapointing and Robots just left me cold. perhaps im getting too old?? i found Nemo(no pun intended) the best of this recent spate of big studio animations, and in a way that contained the least amount of adult gags. What it did have was strong and believable central charachters and a emotionally engaging storyline.

I might be alone in this, but i dont think any of them were as emotionally rewarding as Mulan or Tarzan or some of the other classic 2d disney stuff. CG animation seems to be settling into this niche/rut of weak stroylines/characters whose sole purpose is to set up the next clever gag making them as superficial as an episode of saturday night Live.

:rolleyes:

veljko-lemonade
05-12-2005, 08:08 PM
Shrek 2 totaly kicked ass-
i loved it

worker_bee
05-19-2005, 06:48 PM
MADAGASCAR is fresh, inventive and a wonder to behold. The only problem may be that with all the laughing, you might miss some of the best lines. Yet another reason to see it more than once.

http://www.killermoviereviews.com/main.php?nextlink=display&dId=579

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2005, 06:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.